Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days:SOD article; New Twist
Topic Started: Jul 5 2007, 12:15 PM (719 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

New Twist in DAY’S Most Controversial Tale

Sami and EJ’s story will take a different turn when portrayers Alison Sweeney and James Scott assume dual roles to play out the love story of Colleen Brady and Santo DiMera.

This week, the letters are finally translated and will be read by various Salemites while Scott and Sweeney bring them to life on-screen. “It’s really romantic story.” declares Sweeney. “I personally think that the idea of these tragic, star-crossed lovers is wonderful and very classic soap. It’s weird to go into this story where you know Colleen’s going to find the love of her life and then it’s going to end tragically and cause this feud.”

While Santo and Colleen will be falling in love, Sami and EJ will not. Nevertheless, this story provides an opportunity for the actors to work together romantically in less controversial tale, “Naturally, we don’t expect anyone to forget about the rape, not do we expect anyone to take EJ’s rape of Sami lightly,” notes Co-Executive Producer Stephen Wyman. “However, we know life goes on. People can change. At some point, the issue of the rape is going to have to be dealt with in the fundamental way, but meanwhile, there is the audience that wants to see EJ and Sami together. [But] they aren’t forgetting about the rape, either.”

At this point, Sami is unaware that EJ is a dead ringer for Santo, as she is Colleen. “I’m not thinking of her as Sami and him As EJ: I have to play it as a different story.” Explains Sweeney. “She doesn’t see it as any sort of reflection on her relationship with EJ at all.”

The dual roles required that the actors work intensively with a dialect coach; Sweeney to handle an Irish brogue, Scott to learn an Italian accent. “My first reaction was utter, complete fear.” confesses the actress. “It’s all well and good to do a second role, but to have to do an Irish accent and play a character from the ‘50’s? The only thing that preoccupied me from the moment they told me is ‘I don’t want to look like a fool on television and I don’t know how I’m going to have the time, but I have to learn how to do this accent.’ It really scared me but now I’m starting to feel more confident with it.”

Second Chances
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

I think they are sending a mix message with the whole Rape thing. JMO.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Wow....Wyman really tried to defuse the Sami/EJ rape stuff here. It seems one of the big reasons in doing this was to put Sami/EJ together in a way to please their fans without actually putting the characters together. Interesting. It seems they aren't done dealing with the rape either. Wyman hinted at more redemption for EJ here and I am glad he came out and said it won't be glossed over and that Sami/EJ won't be forced.

This all sounds good. Ali seems worried about how she is portraying this but it seems she did fine. I like the idea of various actors reading the letters as the story plays out. It sounds very intriguing.

King
Member Avatar

I agree, Nubs.

But at the same time...an actual half-intelligent quote from someone at DAYS. WOW!

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

This storyline is going to be phenomenal. Sweeney is a great actress. I'm sure she will do just fine!

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

King
Jul 5 2007, 01:21 PM
I agree, Nubs.

But at the same time...an actual half-intelligent quote from someone at DAYS. WOW!

Touche....they talk a good game, but I am just hoping it translates well in the final product.

Often with Days, the hype is better than what we see on our screens.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Nubia
Jul 5 2007, 12:37 PM
I think they are sending a mix message with the whole Rape thing. JMO.

They are absolutely sending a mixed message with the rape thing. Mainly because they're idiots and the rape was a stupid mistake in the plot meant to kill enthuiasm for EJami and prop Lumi not as a means to create real drama and deal with real subject matter in heartwrenching dramatic fashion.

Now that they realize the mess they made they want to have it both ways. If Wyman wants to decide it's RAPE now then he needs to tell the NBC.com web editors to change their House of DiMera character page to say it's rape there too instead of saying Sami OBLIGED to EJ's request. It would also be nice if we got some flashbacks to that scene that show EJ actually putting a gun to Sami's head if they are going to have Sami and the rest of Salem slandering him saying he did that when all us viewers saw was Sami finally agreeing to let EJ sleep with her and unzipping her top while EJ had no gun in his hand and didn't make a single threat of harm to Sami if she didn't agree to his indecent proposal, but instead made it clear it was her choice even if he was emotionally blackmailing her into making the decision he wanted her to make.

I am so sick of being jerked around by this show on this storyline. I wish they would give us a real conversation between EJ and Sami that isn't interrupted by Lucas or anyone else and gives us more of the thought process that went into what EJ did and how he reacted after the rape rather than just I needed stem cells and I grew up a prince and was selfish and spoiled. Like him saying he really did think Sami wanted him because every woman wants him and he thought the only reason Sami turned him down was because of what she thought about his family but not what she thought about him. And he tormented her all those months because he wanted her to tell her family the truth of what he did because he was ashamed and didn't know how to cope with what he did. Just something more than what we got in Maison Blanche and that isn't so one-sided about just Sami crying about what a bastard EJ is but maybe also her listening to how things she did in their relationship could have led him to act the way he did to her besides the fact of him just being a ruthless DiMera. If that is what dealing with the rape in a fundamental way means then great. That could give us some good drama. If they could throw in Roman and Bo feeling one second of guilt about the way they thought nothing of pimping Sami out as bait to set their trap for EJ because they suck so bad at solving crimes then I would applaud them.

But I certainly hope the show isn't going to fall over itself trying to pretend like they are being socially responsible now when they decide to have Sami act like a rape victim SIX MONTHS after the fact when they didn't show her as one up to that point at all. To me it seems like the only reason they are showing her as one now is to set up an obstacle to the romantic pairing of EJami and give Sami a reason to stay faithful to her husband when they are showing him acting like a total jerk while EJ is being shown as a good guy.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

All of that would be nice, I agree.

I'd rather go back to ruthless EJ, though. A short-term awesome villain would be nice.

And if they'd wanted an EJ/Sami pairing, they should've done it with them being outcasts from both families. All this "for my family" stuff from Sami is getting obnoxious, and I'm not going to be fooled into loving EJ/Sami because they do Santo/Colleen.

Ridge
Member Avatar

Yeah those were pretty decent quotes but it is clear that DAYS is doing the whole "let's please THIS fanbase" thing. I love EJ and Sami together but I also like Sami and Lucas too.

berlingirl
Member Avatar

When are the writers going to get off this roller coaster of stupidity? They can't seem to make up their mind how they want a story to play out. They leave so many holes in stories that you are left scratching your head. :angry: I feel I need to drink just to make it through the show. They act like we are all on happy pills. Last summer they had a great couple who had chemistry coming out their ears. And they went and screwed it up. They back burned the vets and f***** up a good reunion for Bope/Ciara. Where was the happiness and joy ? They had a blessing after the horrible tragedy they had experienced. They turned the new hottie into a villain. And put the lamest couple back together for round 100. They are better together when they are fighting or scheming. But their make out scenes turn my stomach. I want to watch passion not kids making out. I had a boyfriend who kissed like that. I had to set him straight very quickly. No person wants a vacuum hose sucking on their face. That is what it sound like when they are making out. Ewww :puke: If they screw up the Santeen storyline then I will be madder than h377. :soapbox: Days is on thin ice the will tank the show. If they don't shape up.

DaysFanJean
Member Avatar

I'm so over LUMI. Lucas is a jerk with capital letters in bold. Just get rid of him, period. Every time he comes on screen I am disgusted with this monkey boy when Sami needs a real man. EJ is a great compliment to her temperament and she works very well with him as a mature woman instead of simpering, giggly no-brainer girl. Grrrrrr. Enough already. EJami all the way.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply