Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
AMC: Jack Scalia starts cycle of giving; (nice article about the former AMC star)
Topic Started: Jul 11 2007, 01:52 PM (423 Views)
Steve Frame
Member Avatar

from the LA Daily News - http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_6344747

The did call him John instead of Jack though.

Actor to start cycle of giving
Bike trip to help injured veterans
BY DANA BARTHOLOMEW, Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 07/10/2007 09:18:14 PM PDT

For John Scalia, pedaling 100 miles a day down Highway 1 will be nothing compared to what wounded American troops have endured.

The 57-year-old Los Angeles actor plans to bicycle 1,500 miles from Seattle to San Diego this fall to raise money for disabled American veterans and their families.

His goal: to raise $50 million for what's been called Operation Velo.

"It's not about whether you're for the war or against the war," said Scalia, nominated for an Emmy for his role in "All My Children." He is expected to make a formal announcement today about his effort.

"It's about taking care of our brethren. They have answered the call. Now it's our duty as Americans to take care of them when they need it most."

Operation Velo was launched by the Calabasas-based Fitness Challenge Foundation to provide support for the families of severely injured veterans.

While Uncle Sam foots the bill for veteran rehab, the government doesn't always pick up the tab for lengthy family visits, job assistance, scholarships and other long-term help, Scalia said.

Operation Velo hopes to pick up such slack and more with the help of a host of celebrities and individual donations.

Scalia departs Sept. 24 from Seattle and plans to arrive in San Diego on Oct. 7, with stops at military bases and VA hospitals along the way.

"It's a great cause," said John Wordin, executive director of the Fitness Challenge Foundation and the head of Operation Velo. "We're very excited about being involved."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I commend Jack for doing this. I have always loved Jack. I still miss him on AMC. I felt sure another soap opera might pick him up after he left. He would be a great addition to any show. He would make a nice romantic partner for Barbara on ATWT.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply