Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Thought Question: Soap's Greatest Matriarch
Topic Started: Jul 19 2007, 10:25 AM (766 Views)
Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Just wanted to see what others think on this?

Who do most people feel is soap opera's greatest matriarch?

Do you feel it is the great Alice Horton? or is it Ma Perkins from radio's Ma Perkins? She was loved by so many for years and years? or was it AW's Mary Matthews? or Dallas' Miss Ellie?

or do your prefer Nancy Hughes or the late Kate Martin?

Oh there are so many to choose from?

So what is your opinion and why?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I am totally bias when it comes to this subject. Alice Horton would ahve to be my answer. I have grown up watching her on DAYS since I was three-four years old. Though it might seem weird she is really is like another grandmother to me. Whenever she's in a scene a smile immediately graces my face. I don';t have that with any of the other famous matriarchs. I don't think there really ever could be the greatest matriarch because this is somehing I feel would change from each person's point of view.
Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

My Top 10 are:

1) Mary Matthews (AW)
2) Nancy Hughes (ATWT)
3) Bert Bauer (GL)
4) Alice Horton (Days)
5) Kate Marshall (Texas)
6) Kate Martin (AMC)
7) Ada Davis (AW)
8) Miss Ellie (Dallas)
9) Emma Snyder (ATWT)
10) Isabelle Alden (Loving)

Probably as far as stories the best was Bert. She seemed to get more meaty stories of any of the traditional matriarchs on soaps. Charita Bauer really matured as an actress and really took the character of Bert through the most growth through the years too.

Even with all that my love for Mary and Nancy just outweighs her a little.

Mason

I basically echo what Amello said about DAYS's Alice. She's it, for me.

oakdalelover

Of course,I like Nancy and Emma on ATWT but I must agree with you Steve about Bert Bauer. She was great. This show lost something when Charita Bauer died.
GL lost a chance to develop a new matriarch and moral center of the show when they killed off Maureen.

morlock sevigny

Tough choice to make ,but I would have to go with Alice Horton.

Despite all the changes at Days,Alice remained an important character,until Frances was unable to appear regularly. She continued to give sage advice and act as a moral touchstone for other characters.

Even recent viewers(last 5 yrs maybe)would have some idea of Alice's importance to the show.

The same could not be said of Nancy Hughes,unfortunately.

One matriach not mentioned is Maeve Ryan.

It is sad that writers do not realise how much viewers enjoy the older characters -both longtime viewers who know them well and I believe,younger viewers who may not have this type of characters in their lives.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply