Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Daytime Salaries: Update - Via TV Guide; $4,000 per episode is way out of date
Topic Started: Jul 20 2007, 12:20 AM (8,174 Views)
Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

There was an article from 2002 that stated that a star performer made $1500-$4000 per episode. So now that we know, it's no wonder the shows are firing vets east and west.

Here's the update from TV Guide and AFTRA/SAG

As of 2007 a star performer/veteran on a daytime drama makes $7,500-$9,000 per episode.

From TV Guide and the AFTRA/SAG handbook

$7,500-$9,000 are the the industry minimums (Meaning that a show is required by Law/SAG/AFTRA to pay a star performer/veteran actor $7500-$9000 per episode.
A show cannot cut their pay below industry standard. If a star is making 10,000 per episode the show can ask them to take a pay cut, but it cannot be more than $2,500.

However there is a way around paying out big salaries to veterans not in front burner storylines. The show can renegotiate their contracts at 13 week intervals and reduce their weekly guarantees from 2-3 days a week down to 1 day per week in the case of some older veterans (i.e Suzanne Rogers, Eileen Herlie, etc) Therefore the show only pays out 7,500-9,000 per week instead of 22,000-27,000 per week while the actor is not being used.

Alison Sweeney for example. Star performer at 175 episodes per year. We'll say she's on the lower end of the scale at 7,500

100 episodes at 7,500 = $750,000

Sweeney is making at least 1.2-1.5 million per year <_<

God, I wish these headwriters knew the meaning of the word "balance" If they used everyone on cast in a story, at different times, I wholeheartedly believe soaps would see some gains and just maybe flourish again.

Daytime Drama
Director $3,726 per episode
Writer $3,087 per script
Head Make Up Artist $2,271 per week
Sound Editor $1,887 per week
Music Editor $1,887 per week
Head Hairstylist $1,804 per week
Scenic Artist $1,840 per week
Background Extra $130.00 per day
Stand In $145.00 per day
Production Assistant $8.00 per hour

Talk Show Hosts (Per Year)
Oprah 260 million
Judge Judy 30 million
Maury Povich 7 million
Ellen 5 million
Jerry Springer 3.5 million
Tyra Banks 3.5 million
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rudolpho Meradi
Member Avatar

I cant believe the people within this Industry are being paid so much.

According to me, none of them do their jobs good enough to deserve these salaries.

bellcurve
Unregistered

Damn, can I work on a soap opera?! PLEASE?!

Now we see the reason why GL moved into the tiny CBS Studio and are using non-union production staff.

I mean, this article doesn't tell us anything we don't know already...other than it will piss me off to know that shoddy scriptwork is rewarded with a $3000 payoff!
Quote Post Goto Top

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

WTF! :o

I should invest hundreds-thousands into acting lessons.

But, I agree... they shouldn't be paid THAT much for one lousy (mostly) 60 min episode. Where is the justice? Theres so many hard, low-paying jobs, and these actors make that much in one day.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

And this is why I argued in the Drake thread that I can't feel bad for any of this people when they are being asked to take a cut. Some have gotten so greedy. These numbers are obscene.

It also says to me that TPTB should take pay cuts as well if the actors and actresses must.

Q Steph
Member Avatar
Put your hands up for Obama

PhoenixRising05
Jul 20 2007, 03:36 PM
And this is why I argued in the Drake thread that I can't feel bad for any of this people when they are being asked to take a cut. Some have gotten so greedy. These numbers are obscene.

It also says to me that TPTB should take pay cuts as well if the actors and actresses must.

Yeah.

Some of these people are millionaires and thy're not even worth it.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

PhoenixRising05
Jul 20 2007, 04:36 PM
And this is why I argued in the Drake thread that I can't feel bad for any of this people when they are being asked to take a cut.  Some have gotten so greedy.  These numbers are obscene.

Drake, Dee, Alfonso, and Reckell are probably making 10,000 per episode since they have been there for 20+ years.

So a paycut would be 2500 bucks.

I guess now we know how much of a paycut Evans and Nichols took now.

I still say the key to keeping the soaps alive is to balance out the stories so that every actor is used for their guarantees.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Rick
Jul 20 2007, 04:31 PM
PhoenixRising05
And this is why I argued in the Drake thread that I can't feel bad for any of this people when they are being asked to take a cut.  Some have gotten so greedy.  These numbers are obscene.

Drake, Dee, Alfonso, and Reckell are probably making 10,000 per episode since they have been there for 20+ years.

So a paycut would be 2500 bucks.

I guess now we know how much of a paycut Evans and Nichols took now.

I still say the key to keeping the soaps alive is to balance out the stories so that every actor is used for their guarantees.

Exactly and now it makes the action of taking a pay cut seem less heroic. This also makes me wonder why a vet would ever refuse a pay cut. I mean, you lose money but it's better then not having a job. They would still be making alot of money and they are not going to get the kind of money they want elsewhere in the business unless they switch to primetime and movies.

I wish we could somehow get our hands on the contract and salary info for the Days cast. That would be interesting as it has been a major source of discussion lately.

I agree a well-balanced cast helps but I think alot depends on how much certain people make and so on.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

They are all making obsene amounts of money but it isn't anything we didn't know.

What is sad to me is that they make this much money but they are still in the entertainment industry the lowest paid. All primetime and movie actors make way more money than a soap star or production person makes.

And any TV person makes less than a movie star.

The only actors who make relatively less than a soap star is a stage performer unless you are someone who can demand a big price for stage work.

All in the entertainment and sports fields now make way too much money.

That is one of the reasons a few years ago I quit buying CD's except for a few at Christmas for my children if they want them. I don't go to theaters I wait to see the movie on DVD and I do buy them but only because they get less of a percentage of the money on DVD sale than they do for movie ticket. And I hardly ever buy a DVD brand new. In fact the only one I have bought brand new in 2 years was the Law & Order DVD sets. I usually wait for them to come to our 2nd hand store or buy the previously viewed ones from Blockbuster.

Even knowing all this still does not change my relative opinion about stars taking pay cuts unless the backstage personnel take them too.

They system is very unfair but the system is what it is. And it wasn't just the stars that made it that way but the producers, the network folks, the agents, etc.

I still do not think it is fair to ask or even to expect a star like Kim Zimmer or Drake Hogestyn to all of a sudden "become a team player" when not everyone is being a team player. The network heads, the producers, the writers, etc. are all getting their big salaries and aren't ponying up.

Fans are hollering being a team player so that my show can stay on, but Drake and all these stars have worked in this system for 20 years. They developed their seniority. They have their homes and their bills that they are in and they can afford because of their salaries that they feel they have earned through the years. Even though it is not fair it is what they know. Where in the world is the money they need to pay their bills going to come from esp. if they are already budgeted for what they make and not for less. I can't imagine it but I am sure that is the way it is.

Suzanne Rogers in her interview with SoapNet on A Day With or something like that talked about the very same thing. She said that when she was fired from Days and even after she was asked back at less pay, she almost lost her home and all because she couldn't afford the monthly payments for what she had become accustomed to. She said that it was very hard on her. She said being back with some pay was great, but she had to make big changes.

Poor Anna Lee when she lost her contract and was cut to recurring lost her health insurance benefits which was very rough for a lady her age. Her son said the firing attributed to her eventual death so soon afterward.

And as far as stars like Stephen Nichols & Mary Beth Evans are concerned, I do not feel sorry for them having to take a pay cut at Days. I feel that any star who chooses to leave a show of their own accord. I know that Nichols did but I can't remember if Evans was fired or let go. The show wanted to keep Nichols but he chose to leave Days. They should never expect to come back to the show at the same money they did before.

In a real life company if you quit, you don't go back with the same level of seniority you had before. So they shouldn't expect it either.

Nichols & Evans should have been given some compensation for their time on the show but not what they feel should be theres because of their years in the business. JMO

So I do agree that the system is not fair, but as a fan I cannot sit out here and judge someone like Drake or Kim for not taking a pay cut when I don't know their personal situations - just because I feel they should be a team player to keep my favorite show on the air. I can't help them with their bills so I would feel it would be very selfish of me to expect something of him in that sense.

A few years back I worked for a small company here, and they got into financial trouble. I had been with the company for 6 years. I was good friends with the boss, and he was in danger of shutting down. He asked me to take a pay cut. I was married at the time and had 3 kids in school. There was no way I could take a pay cut and us survive. So I was not a team player. I had to quit and I ended up working at the job I was with for years before I had to quit in 2000.

Again I say it is not a fair system and the money is obsene. But the whole system needs to change. None of the athletes, singers, actors, etc. should be making the God awful money they do. I don't agree with that part at all.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

When you put it that way Steve I have to agree 100%!

Daytime stars are the hardest working actors in the business. The front burner stars work 200 days per year for around a million per year.

A cable actor makes 1.3-1.5 million for working 80-100 days a year.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

OK sorry to get off track of the soap actors salaries but...

Quote:

Maury Povich 7 million
Ellen 5 million

wtf? Maury makes more than Ellen? LOL

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Off topic but IMissAremid...I love your rivalry banner. It looks great!!

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

PhoenixRising05
Jul 22 2007, 03:02 AM
Off topic but IMissAremid...I love your rivalry banner. It looks great!!

Thanks! But all the credit belongs to some graphic designer at NBC, not me. LOL. It's a promo pic.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05

Compared to the many primetime stars (weren't the FRIENDS making $1M per episode?!) who've only been around for a short time but are making ten times this amount per episode, I would say that daytime vets of 20+ years deserve a decent pay... and I wouldn't necessarily consider it greedy.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Kenny
Oct 21 2007, 10:38 PM
PhoenixRising05

Compared to the many primetime stars (weren't the FRIENDS making $1M per episode?!) who've only been around for a short time but are making ten times this amount per episode, I would say that daytime vets of 20+ years deserve a decent pay... and I wouldn't necessarily consider it greedy.

I totally agree Kenny. And when you think about how much more time that daytime performers have to put in for their pay. They can sometimes film 5 shows a week where their primetime counterparts film one show a week or sometimes only 16 to 20 per season for the pay they are given. Plus many of the daytime performers learn more lines and many times over night at that.

I don't blame any daytime performer for wanting to be paid a decent salary for the work they do.

Sure it is a lot to us, but for the time they have put in and their field of work what daytime performers get paid is a disgrace. And then the fans get mad if they won't take a pay cut.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I don't think it's a disgrace that actors in daytime get paid less. They don't bring in the kind of revenue that the actors in primetime do when their series are popular.

I mean, "Grey's Anatomy" got big, brought ABC success on Thursdays- the most profitable night- and then spun off a show expanding solid ratings to another evening. The people on that show earn ABC millions, and deserve a nice cut of that, even if they haven't been around as long as cast members of ABC soaps, even if soap actors work harder.

That sucks, but it's how things are. The salaries posted come off as pretty good considering that soaps by and large aren't delivering anymore, imho.

~bl~
Member Avatar

Can you link me with that information please? When I researched this after TVGuide printed that article back in July the only place/page I found with pay scale was http://www.aftra.com/contract/pcontracts.htm It did not give any specification in regards to star performers, just the minimums available for anyone in a regular role on a soap.

The star performer/veteran designation in TVGuide bugged me because while someone may be on a show for years, I can't see the pay scale automatically jumping for an actor once they hit ten years just for being on a show that long. What makes someone hit that level is there a standard to that?

BL (who is signing this with a look of confusion.)

jcar03
Member Avatar

It probably only ran in print and isn't online.

NikkiSmith

SteveFrame
Oct 21 2007, 10:46 PM
Kenny
Oct 21 2007, 10:38 PM
PhoenixRising05

I totally agree Kenny. And when you think about how much more time that daytime performers have to put in for their pay. They can sometimes film 5 shows a week where their primetime counterparts film one show a week or sometimes only 16 to 20 per season for the pay they are given. Plus many of the daytime performers learn more lines and many times over night at that.

I don't blame any daytime performer for wanting to be paid a decent salary for the work they do.

Sure it is a lot to us, but for the time they have put in and their field of work what daytime performers get paid is a disgrace. And then the fans get mad if they won't take a pay cut.

I have no idea what rents are like in Los Angeles but I do have several friends in New York City. The housing prices are horrendously high. Manhattan is through the roof and now the bridge and tunnel boroughs are following suit.

Call me a snob but I believe anyone who is exposed to millions of viewers across the country, or across several countries, every day, as the case may be, deserves an "adjusted" living wage. When you think that some young soap actors only make about $100,000 a year, or less - that's peanuts in NYC unless you have a rent-controlled apartment.

So what is a living wage in Manhattan?

I think of someone like Nathaniel Marston who maybe makes at most $300,000 a year.

Yes, celebs should know what they are taking on as public figures, and yes his behavior was out of control and allegedly criminal. But for that salary in Manhattan is it worth it to have your emergency room photos published?

adrianna
Unregistered

I read once a rookie soap actor makes 2500 an episode and is gaurenteed 2 a week. However, one needs to deduct taxes, AFTRA member dues, and agent fees which usually get 10-15% of their pay.

Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply