Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
ALL: Writers You've Loved But Others Hated
Topic Started: Aug 1 2007, 09:24 PM (879 Views)
psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

I'm almost ALWAYS in the minority with my opinions...especially on writing. I'm wondering who else has ever felt this way. Past or present, which writers have you loved that many people seemed to hate?

My list of writing loves is topped with JER. I know he's hated by about 90% of fans...at least on the internet, but he is my absolute favorite writer in the history of daytime (and possibly television). His creativity, his shocks, his plots...I love it. I hear so many people complain about how awful plot-driven stories are and why can't we have more character-driven stories and yada-yada-yada....I don't care what kind of story it is as long as it keep me entertained. Have I been disapointed in JER at times? Of course! I've hated some of his work. But the stuff I've loved definately out does that stuff I've hated.

I also don't think that LML is as bad as everyone makes her out to be. I preferred Jack Smith (who if I recall, wasn't too popular either), but I still enjoy Y&R and don't see how anything awful has happened to the show.

And I don't think I've ever met another person who is a fan of...*gasp*...Megan McTavish!!! Yes, I confess I like her writing. I enjoyed her GH stint and I enjoyed her AMC stint even more. There were a few things I didn't like, but overall I loved most of her long-term plans-- Satin Slayer, Baby Switch, Madi Gras, etc.

I never hated Dena Higley when she was at Days, and I was one of her biggest fans at OLTL from 2004-mid 2006. When she first joined OLTL, I thought she gave it a lot of great material. I enjoyed the whole Cristian-mind control thing, and Tess, and of course Margaret (who as many know is my favorite fictional character ever). I also really liked the whole Daniel Colson fiasco (The killing club, not so much). It wasn't until she did the unthinkable and killed my beloved Margaret that I began to realize what a hack she was. lol.

Back to Days, I also loved Tom Langan. He created my favorite character, Jan, and I will be eternally grateful to him for that. I also loved all of the Salem High adventures (Yeah, I know people hated them). And it wasn't just them...I liked what he did with Gina and Sami and the whole Jen/Jack/Greta stuff too.

Last but not least, I must mention Bob Guza. I see mixed thoughts on him, but I think he's great. I love both the hospital aspect of the show and the mob aspect and he does a good job of bringing out both (at least now he does). My only problem with him is that Helena's visits are few and far in between.

Well, that's my list. I'm sure I'll think of more later.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Psycho all of those have their moments - I will give them that. I actually like Lynn Latham in primetime but not at Y&R.

Now as to writers that no one else seemed to like but I do is Margaret DePriest. She made one big mistake and that was killing off Frankie on Another World.

She is listed by many as one of the worst writers in daytime, but I have always loved her shows and stories.

And I actually like David Kreizman more than most people do. There are things he does I have a problem with but of all the other 8 headwriters currently on soaps right now I will take Kreizman any day.

oakdalelover

I liked Lorraine Broderick at ATWT. I have seen people on messageboards who didn't like her but I think she was one of the best writers in the post Marland era.
It was a mistake to replace her with Leah Laiman.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

oakdalelover
Aug 1 2007, 10:04 PM
I liked Lorraine Broderick at ATWT. I have seen people on messageboards who didn't like her but I think she was one of the best writers in the post Marland era.
It was a mistake to replace her with Leah Laiman.

I agree! I've always said this and really I'd take Lorraine's work at ATWT over anything Hogan did subsequently. Broderick's tenure at ATWT was the last time storylines made sense, were character-driven, balanced, and most of all, a bit more realistic. She also utilized a lot of ATWT's veteran cast, something her predecessors were never really good at.

Leah Laiman is just soap-writing poison...

Also, I have to say, Millie Taggart was a very good head-writer at GL. I know some people didn't like her, but she told character-driven stories that made sense. It was a bad decision to fire her.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Esensten and Brown - The main reason I started watching GL

Oh and JER, duh!

King
Member Avatar

LOL. Mine's obvi! JER.

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

King
Aug 3 2007, 12:33 AM
LOL. Mine's obvi! JER.

I always get confused with that lol. I know you used to be a huge JER fan, but then you started hating him. And now I see you give him and Passions compliments sometimes. Do you love him or hate him? lol

bellcurve
Unregistered

psychofan
Aug 3 2007, 09:30 AM
King
Aug 3 2007, 12:33 AM
LOL. Mine's obvi! JER.

I always get confused with that lol. I know you used to be a huge JER fan, but then you started hating him. And now I see you give him and Passions compliments sometimes. Do you love him or hate him? lol

I think you can have a very love/hate relationship with Reilly, especially if your soap opera watching began with his tenure at DAYS from 1992-1997(and I suspect many younger soap fans on these boards today can attribute that to him). I used to, no lie, really look up to the guy as some sort of soap opera superhero who was the best writer ever. But then again, I was 12 and reading Soap Opera Digest and watching DAYS every single day.

I really HATE Reilly for PASSIONS and the way he drove DAYS into the ground his second time around, but DAYS in the 90's was fierce and unstoppable and Reilly was the big reason for that. It's funny...I really can't stand PASSIONS, but I have no problem watching old clips of the Possession or old videotapes featuring his writing where things were constantly stalled. The Sami Reveal of 96(something I have on tape) was just fantastic from beginning to end. Soaps were just SO alive back then. They were such an event. Or at least for me they were. Now I'm lucky to even bother remembering that I taped B&B.

But I digress...Reilly is a talented force. He just needs someone telling him whether or not his ideas are too far out there.
Quote Post Goto Top

bellcurve
Unregistered

And as for my answer to the question:

-Liked the Rayfield/Casio combination at AMC. Weren't they the ones that created Gabriel "Dog Boy" Devane? I thought with a little bit more development, the character could have become a great presence in Pine Valley. And then, let's not forget Joni and Reggie.

-Brad Bell...I've accepted he's ADD. Through good times and tuning out through the bad times, I still enjoy B&B.

-Dave Kriezman...again...see Brad Bell.
Quote Post Goto Top

MichaelGL
Member Avatar
Sexy Jew

Some people are gonna say "how could have like so and so" oh well this is the thread...

Lloyd Gold and Christopher Dunn- I lobster loved their tenure from 2001-2002. It actually got me watching GL again after Claire Labine's AWFUL tenure. I had quit when she started, so I was incredibly excited when they announced her replacement. Gold really made me a fan again by focusing on characters like Billy, Holly, and Buzz. I like the little triangle that was going on there. Wasn't he also the one that penned the Tori Granger story? I liked that one. I remember the two Bauer BBQ's that he wrote, one for 2001 and one for 2002, and I loved them both. The summer of 2001 was a good time for GL, I loved how the show focused on the Lewis vs Spaulding feud. I only believe that he messed up when he decided to do a sci-fi story on Reva traveling back in time. The ratings fell from around 4th-5th-6th place back to 8th place, what a disappointment! I really wouldn't be able to list all the good stuff I liked under him.

If you ask me alot of stuff got lost in translation when Taggart came aboard like the Lighthouse Gala and Claire Ramsey's sudden disappearnace from the canvas.

Dena Higley-There were alot of stuff that I enjoyed her on OLTL(I despised her tenure on DAYS, I utterly hated it!). Alot more stuff I enjoyed than hated. Todd's death by injection storyline, crazy Margaret Cochran, Tess and Nash. Higley made me addicted to OLTL again, and I never had been addicted to the show since Broderick and Whitesell left the show. It makes one wonder why the hell she never did the stuff she did on OLTL on DAYS.

I want everyone to know, that I still hate Megan McTavish's writing. It's a travesty to daytime. HOWEVER, there have been moments where she's gotten me excitted for the soap she's writing. Like when she first joined AMC in 2003. AMC was running on all cylinders from 2003-2004. Another example would be bits and pieces of her tenure on GH too. Bits and pieces. Finally I enjoyed just about 50% of her time on GL. I loved how she wrote for Dinah Marler. I loved that she tried to bring the show back to it's core by bringing back the Reardons. I loved how Springfield actually felt like a small town again with close knit family ties. Don't get me wrong though I will always hate what she did to GL, the Brent/Marion storyline was shameless...SHAMELESS! The way that man disposed of his victims could only come from the mind of Megan McTavish, JER not included.

Manny
Member Avatar

I actually liked Tom Langan and most of his stuff.. I LOVED Greta's coronation, Salem Bombings, Baby Switch...

I liked the beginning of Salem High storylines... and the beginning of Tropical Temptation, but I always thought he was featuring teens too much.

skiman1208
Member Avatar

I'd have to say Bridget & Jerome Dobson would be at the top of my list. I loved them when they wrote and created Santa Barbara. I also like James Harmon Brown and Barbara Esensten. I have followed them from Loving to the City to Port Charles and I'm considering following them to All My Children. Bradley Bell is really a good writer when he wants to be; same with James E. Reilly.

Mason
Member Avatar

Oh! Now this is a topic for me, LoL!

Hogan Sheffer (ATWT, DAYS)
Sally Sussman Morina (DAYS)
James E. Reilly (DAYS, 1993-1997)
Barbara Esensten & James Harmon Brown (GL)
Lloyd "Lucky" Gold (GL)
David Kreizman (GL, but ONLY from 2004-2005)
Lorraine Broderick (ATWT)

DramaKing
Member Avatar

Tom Langan ... he wasnt bad at days at all, IMO., best writer ever? no. but there have been far worse.

HS currently at days. hes hated on a lot but i like how he is slowly building the show back into a great daytime drama. if it goess off the air then at least it will go off being a great soap opera. Yes he does have his faults, but what writers dont? im not so muhc a huge fan of it as i think hes bashed and hated on a lot more than he deserves.

JER could be great, and at times is. i think he needs a co-HW. but i think all soaps need 2 HW's to balance things and bounce ideas off eachother.

Guza on GH. GH is a great soap, IMO, and hjas been for a lopng time. Does he focus on the mob to much? i think so. however GH still does quite well in ratings. So obviously not all fans hate it. I think this goes to show how on the internet we all seem to belive this is the voice of every soap fan and almost all soap fans feel this way, but they dont.

who as at GL before the current crap writers we have? they were not bad.

kserox10

Megan McTavish (1990-1995) Never a miss epi! It was all great!

Agnes Nixion (1970-2001) I think by hans down she is the best writer! SHE HAD CREATATIVTY!!!

Lorraine Broderick (1995-1997) Loved her on AMC. It was charatcer driven! I loved her Erica drug addiction!! :D

MichaelGL
Member Avatar
Sexy Jew

kserox10
Oct 25 2007, 06:19 PM
Agnes Nixion (1970-2001) I think by hans down she is the best writer! SHE HAD CREATATIVTY!!!

Lorraine Broderick (1995-1997) Loved her on AMC. It was charatcer driven! I loved her Erica drug addiction!! :D

People hated those two? :huh:

There's prob one writer that I liked at a time when others hated his writing....Lloyd "Lucky" Gold on GL.

David Kreizman also. When fans were up in arms when he killed off Phillip I was still liking the show. How wrong I would turn out to be.

Oh until I got involved with the boards I liked some of Tom Langan's stuff.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply