Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
ALL: Favorite Screen-time hog?; You don't mind the center of the show?
Topic Started: Aug 3 2007, 06:51 PM (641 Views)
psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

We've gotten into this a little in other threads about how several people complain that Sami is too heavily featured on DAYS and that every soap seems to have a problem with focusing on one or two characters. Which characters that are always front and center do you like the best?

For me, on AMC, I love Kendall. I have since McTavish first brought her back in 2002. She's like Pine Valley's own Sami Brady.

On ATWT, I'm a huge Gwen and Carly fan...put those two in any story doing anything, and I'll watch.

On B&B, I can't enjoy an episode without Stephanie.

On DAYS, well...no comment.

On GH, I'm in LOVE with Carly. I love everything she says. :lol: ...same goes for Sam. I also don't mind seeing Sonny and Jason everyday.

On Passions, I don't love her, but I don't mind Theresa. And Sheridan's not really an air-hog now, but I've always loved her so it didn't bother me when she was and it wouldn't bother me if she was again...hopefully she will be if she ever returned to her "lead heroine" status.

On Y&R, I love to hate Amber...she doesn't bother me at all. Well, she does...but in a good way. If that makes sense. I also love Phyllis.

So, I guess TPTB have sucked me in to liking what they dish out. :lol:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DOOL_Fan4ever
Member Avatar
I am Secretly Gay!

i am loving the Sami and EJ show on days but i want more Nick and Chelsea and bo and hope.

GH- Jason and Sam, i would love for everything to be all about them.

Days- the best characters EJ,Sami, Nick, Chelsea and Bo and Hope and i will be happy.

I want EJ and sami on 4 days a week, Nick and chelsea on 5 days a week and bo and hope on 4 days a week.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Well it is no surprise here but I don't like any of the screen time hogs anymore. Many of them used to be my favorite characters but as the old saying goes "there is such a thing as too much"

Writers should remember that absence makes the heart grow fonder and forget the old saying of "Too much is not enough"

No character - no matter who they are - should ever be on a show for 4 or 5 days a week. Unless their story is at a big peak or finale - this is the only time a character should be on that much.

The writers today have made me absolutely hate characters I once loved. Sami has always been a fave and now I hate her. Katie on ATWT used to be a big fave along with Carly and Gwen and now I detest seeing them. And Kendall I won't even go there with her. I am so over her.

Some of it is resentment that they are on all the time, but most of it is the fact that they are just on way too much and are the be all and end all of the show.

Even Doug & Julie (Days) and Steve & Alice (AW) and even Luke & Laura (GH) at their biggest popularity were never on more than 3 days a week at the norm. Sometimes it was 4 but never 5.

If characters were on for a lot of days straight it was a record setting thing and made the magazines.

Now characters are on almost 31 days a month at times and some with almost every episode in the month or they don't miss it by much.

So I can't answer that any of them are my faves. They once were but the writers ruined that.

psychofan
Member Avatar

^ I totally understand that. Has there ever been a time when you enjoyed a heavily featured character? For example, I remember seeing Marlena just about everyday in JER's first run and occasionally in his second run.

DOOL_Fan4ever
Member Avatar
I am Secretly Gay!

psychofan
Aug 3 2007, 07:26 PM
^ I totally understand that. Has there ever been a time when you enjoyed a heavily featured character? For example, I remember seeing Marlena just about everyday in JER's first run and occasionally in his second run.

that what i like about hogan sheffer, he knows that Marlena is played out and refuses to put her own screen 24/7, he knows that she was on everyday most of the time and had frontburner major storys all the time.

now with sami, its Ali's turn to shine in the Major story, no offense to Deidre but she had lots of frontburner major storys and Ali only been in the secondary frontburner storys. Its ali turn to shine just like Deidre and Kristian has. Everything been about Sami since Feb of this year and probaly next year everything will be about Chelsea.

psychofan
Member Avatar

DOOL_Fan4ever
Aug 3 2007, 07:46 PM
psychofan
^ I totally understand that.  Has there ever been a time when you enjoyed a heavily featured character?  For example, I remember seeing Marlena just about everyday in JER's first run and occasionally in his second run.

that what i like about hogan sheffer, he knows that Marlena is played out and refuses to put her own screen 24/7, he knows that she was on everyday most of the time and had frontburner major storys all the time.

now with sami, its Ali's turn to shine in the Major story, no offense to Deidre but she had lots of frontburner major storys and Ali only been in the secondary frontburner storys. Its ali turn to shine just like Deidre and Kristian has. Everything been about Sami since Feb of this year and probaly next year everything will be about Chelsea.

When everything is about Chelsea is when i won't be watching Days. And waht's all this talk of Sami suddenly being on everyday? I don't remember a time when Sami WASN'T front and center.

DOOL_Fan4ever
Member Avatar
I am Secretly Gay!

psychofan
Aug 3 2007, 07:51 PM
DOOL_Fan4ever
Aug 3 2007, 07:46 PM
psychofan
^ I totally understand that.  Has there ever been a time when you enjoyed a heavily featured character?  For example, I remember seeing Marlena just about everyday in JER's first run and occasionally in his second run.

When everything is about Chelsea is when i won't be watching Days. And waht's all this talk of Sami suddenly being on everyday? I don't remember a time when Sami WASN'T front and center.

i didn't mean that sami was on everyday, i ment was she was never in the MAJOR MAJOR story like Deidre and Kristian has always been, Ali was always in the secondary frontburner Story.

Why would you quite watching if Days is nothin but Chelsea, i would love it. It could happen next year, days likes to focus everything on a certain female every year.

they could have her get pregnant and have some complication with the pregnancy, it can be a high risk pregnancy and nick and chelsea has to make a decision together, they keep the baby but something goes horribly wrong.

psychofan
Member Avatar

Quote:

Why would you quite watching if Days is nothin but Chelsea, i would love it. It could happen next year, days likes to focus everything on a certain female every year.

They would be idiots to do that. The whole object is getting higher ratings so that another network can pick them up. Chelsea doesn't bring in ratings.

DOOL_Fan4ever
Member Avatar
I am Secretly Gay!

psychofan
Aug 3 2007, 07:59 PM
Quote:

They would be idiots to do that. The whole object is getting higher ratings so that another network can pick them up. Chelsea doesn't bring in ratings.

yea i guess its my wishful thinking but chelsea and nick are very popular

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

psychofan

No I never really have.

The closest I ever got was when Jamie Frame (played by Richard Bekins) was on AW for like 30 or 40 days straight without a break. It may have even been more. He was in a drug addiction story and they put him on every single day for 2 to 3 months. But before and after that cycle it went down a lot.

I did enjoy him during that story but I would have gotten tired of him if it had stayed on.

And during the Mac/Rachel/Mitch/Janice story there was a point where they were on every day during the St. Croix wrap up to the story and I enjoyed that. Their story before that time was featured heavily but not everyday.

So no I can't say that I have.

Keith
Member Avatar

The problem with the genre today is they're trying to be primetime soaps with smaller, more focused casts -- without firing the cast they don't want to use. Very few of them are triving to be what the genre has laid out -- ENSEMBLE. Whether I like a character or not, I'll like them a lot more if I don't see them five days a week. And that's a fact!

oakdalelover

When Pam Long wrote Guiding Light critics started calling the show Reva Light because she featured Kim Zimmer so much.

I think a good writer would outline his stories so that no character or story would dominate a week unless that story was coming to a major plot point.

On ATWT recently we saw Gwen and Will 3 or 4 days and Luke,Maddie and Noah maybe 1 day. That was before the Branson remote.

I'd like to see show do what some in the past would do. A story would be the major story Mon,Wed,Fri and then be the minor story Tues and Thursday. The next week reversed.

DramaKing
Member Avatar

Days Ali Sweney as Sami Brady.

never will i get enough.

MichaelGL
Member Avatar
Sexy Jew

GL: Dinah (Gina Tognoni) and Reva (Kim Zimmer) to a certain degree.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply