Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Would Soaps Be Better Without Spoilers?
Topic Started: Aug 5 2007, 08:44 PM (1,270 Views)
psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

I've thought for a long time about how easily we have access to spoilers....is it a coincidence that as new means of discovering them have come out, ratings for daytime have gone down? I'm guilty of reading spoilers for several shows (I'm spoiler-free for ATWT and semi for Y&R, but that's it). Would we think better of our shows if we just let everyday be a surprise? Would daytime thrive again if people couldn't just look online and say "Ohh...that's what happens". What do you think?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I believe sopas would be minimally better if spoilers weren't given out as detailed as they are. Though I am a big spoiler whore. But at the end of the day the stories need to be good. If the spoilers sound good people will wtach and if what they watch has given into their expectations they will continue to watch.
Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

For me I will answer stronger than Amello. Yes Spoilers Have Ruined Soaps and They Would BE Lots Better without them.

The primetime soaps do not have spoilers like the daytime soaps do. Even when the stories aren't that great on the nighttime shows like Rescue Me, Nip/Tuck, Desperate Housewives, etc. there is still the dramatic shock affect of it that daytime soaps have lost.

Do you think a show like Lost would have survived this long if the viewers knew what was going to happen before it happened.

I know that writing and good stories have a lot to do with it, but even the bad stories that the soaps dish out right now would be better served with a little shock factor.

Soaps used to surprise and shock you and some of the stories weren't that great or even the basic premises weren't that much different than some shows today, but they had the shock factor. I mean even casting spoilers were a no no. You didn't know who was coming and going until after it happened.

There was the press back then but they just didn't report stuff like that too far in advance.

I know that soaps need to evolve but they also need to look at the past and what worked and learn from it. It may have been the way we used to do things, but my motto is if it wasn't broke don't try to fix it.

There were problems with the soaps of old, but not everything was bad about them.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

In general, I am in agreement with you all. I feel the ratings would be much better if viewers didn't know beforehand what's going to take place. It would surely eliminate my biggest pet peeve with soaps, which is that, the execution is poorer than the concept sounds on paper.

For me personally, I don't see myself watching DAYS if it weren't for spoilers. I read the spoilers to see if the material sounds good, and if it does, I watch the episode. I went pretty much 25 days without watching DAYS because the storyline didn't catch my attention all that. I'm glad I didn't waste my time.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

YES!

It seems like spoilers are getting more and more in detail. Almost like reading the scripts 2 and 3 weeks in advance.

I think the soaps need to stop releasing them in bunches. Maybe a few lines here and there, just enough to make you want to tune in.

morlock sevigny

Teasers - yes Spoilers - no

There's a difference in saying 'Mary gets hit by a truck on Thursday'to

'Mary and those closest to her face a crisis.'

If you like that character or story then you'll tune in but if you know what's going to happen there might be less incentive to take the time.

Of course.it all boils down to how well the story is written and played out.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Jinxed Soul
Aug 5 2007, 09:23 PM
In general, I am in agreement with you all. I feel the ratings would be much better if viewers didn't know beforehand what's going to take place. It would surely eliminate my biggest pet peeve with soaps, which is that, the execution is poorer than the concept sounds on paper.

For me personally, I don't see myself watching DAYS if it weren't for spoilers. I read the spoilers to see if the material sounds good, and if it does, I watch the episode. I went pretty much 25 days without watching DAYS because the storyline didn't catch my attention all that. I'm glad I didn't waste my time.

And that is the problem. Spoilers give people what they need to make a decision like that. Before, spoilers gave you enough not to spoil it but to get you to tune in. Now. it's desperation as show's put out everything hoping fans will tune in to see it play out. That is wrong IMO. It gives fanbases and fans of a couple or character (s) the chance to say "My fave isn't on. See you when they are."

I won't even get into the whole real fan thing or ensemble argument but I think spoilers need to be cut down ALOT. EE is gone and I think other sites need to be too. Let the mags put out small teasers with articles that don't give away everything. We don't get cliffhangers anymore because we all know what is coming so it never feels like a cliffhanger.

This is a pet peeve of mine because, while I read spoilers, I still watch the shows day in and day out. I don't let them dictate my viewing habits because something can always be better (or worse) then it sounds. I just think spoilers need to be more limited because they have been negatively affecting soaps big time in the past 7-8 years.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I have to say that, while I HATE that "Passions" has lost its "next on Passions" and its daily promos (and just has the DirecTV move promos airing on NBC, which cancelled all storyline promotion), I HAVE to watch every day or else I'll miss something. I don't have the patience to read every spoiler thread on this and other sites, but I will say that I've also been VERY pleasantly surprised by how much more shocking the show seems, spoiler-free.
Quote Post Goto Top

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

morlock sevigny
Aug 6 2007, 03:21 AM
Teasers - yes Spoilers - no

There's a difference in saying 'Mary gets hit by a truck on Thursday'to

'Mary and those closest to her face a crisis.'

If you like that character or story then you'll tune in but if you know what's going to happen there might be less incentive to take the time.

Of course.it all boils down to how well the story is written and played out.

Exactly my thoughts Marlock

Ally
Member Avatar
The Royal Princess

JERSoapsFan
Aug 6 2007, 03:49 AM
I have to say that, while I HATE that "Passions" has lost its "next on Passions" and its daily promos (and just has the DirecTV move promos airing on NBC, which cancelled all storyline promotion), I HAVE to watch every day or else I'll miss something. I don't have the patience to read every spoiler thread on this and other sites, but I will say that I've also been VERY pleasantly surprised by how much more shocking the show seems, spoiler-free.

That's strange.. I'm still getting my next time on Passions stuff but no mention of DirecTV unless one of the characters brings it up. I wouldn't mind seeing the DirecTV stuff :(

And I get the next time on Passions cuz well I'm damn special! :lol:

oakdalelover

I will by the Soap Opera Weekly's and the Digests and I will click on the spoilers on the internet. Yes they do ruin things for me. I say I am going spoiler free but I can't break the habit.

I am glad they stopped the mid-break previews during ATWT.

KMan101
Member Avatar

They would. Although it still would take good storylines and better actors in some cases ... lol

Deleted User
Deleted User

Ally
Aug 6 2007, 12:56 PM
JERSoapsFan

That's strange.. I'm still getting my next time on Passions stuff but no mention of DirecTV unless one of the characters brings it up. I wouldn't mind seeing the DirecTV stuff :(

Wait, are you in Canada? Do Canadians still get the "next on"?!!!

(Oh, that's right, I'm an idiot... that could make sense, as DirecTV isn't available there, right? So there'd be no point in pimpin' it.)

Still, you'd THINK the show would then use that time to air the promos for whatever channel it's moving to over there.
Quote Post Goto Top

nassaunew

The 'next on Passions' previews air in Canada. The Canadian pay-per-view deal has not been finalized, and I don't think the company would be willing to pay for spots right now.

skiman1208
Member Avatar

That's so weird that Canada is still getting the "next on Passions" at the end of each episode. I'm kind of jealous. But I think the spoilers should basically be banned from all shows. Something in today's episode of Passions completely shocked me and I had no idea that it was going to happen.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I see where most of you are coming from, but I'm not sure.

To me, spoilers are a symptom of the problem but not the cause. The issue is that no show has consistently put out quality product over a long period of time for quite awhile now, and without that there's no reason for viewers to just tune in (imho, of course).

And I include primetime shows in that, because I've started to read spoilers for those, too. I use detailed previews and spoilers to keep connected to shows I have affection for but am not always entertained by, and if things seem like they're turning around I'll go back to watching without knowing.

I know that sometimes things play out better on-screen, but that still doesn't matter for me. Every show is capable of a one-off quality episode. Doesn't mean I have to watch every day waiting for it when a show has turned out crap for several solid months.

I think that if the shows got consistent and solid again and then scaled back the spoilers, that would be a good idea. Until they're capable of that, though, I don't think spoilers have a greater negative impact than previous viewing experience.

And heck, they might as well guide viewers towards what they want to see. It might not be what watching serialized shows is about, but a lot of things are fragmenting that way and I think it's possible the ratings could even dip if people didn't know when what they were interested in seeing was going to happen. I know I'd have dropped Days entirely during the stupid neverending kidnapping crap without spoilers guiding me through a couple quality episodes (read: one in six months) towards some kind of finale.

Ally
Member Avatar
The Royal Princess

JERSoapsFan
Aug 6 2007, 09:26 PM
Ally
Aug 6 2007, 12:56 PM
JERSoapsFan

Wait, are you in Canada? Do Canadians still get the "next on"?!!!

(Oh, that's right, I'm an idiot... that could make sense, as DirecTV isn't available there, right? So there'd be no point in pimpin' it.)

Still, you'd THINK the show would then use that time to air the promos for whatever channel it's moving to over there.

I'm home of the dayahead.. :lol:

But see it's not 100% confirmed that Passions will remain in Canada, I mean yes it's posted at sites, and at a cable site - but it's not in fine print. Plus, I don't think Global would want to 'talk about the competition'. And it may be harder for the cast to do more than one set of promos for all fans - such as those in the States and then again for those in Canada. Does that make any sense?!

King
Member Avatar

Definitely. I am down to skimming spoilers due to lack of interest, and I've found the shows are alittle better. It'd be a lot better if the writing was actually good. :lol:

Keith
Member Avatar

I agree px.

However, I think the real argument here is that the ratings would likely improve with less detailed spoilers. Teasers please.

Manny
Member Avatar

I don't think it would help a lot, but it would help a bit...

Because people mostly lose interest in soaps because the writing sucks...

But little number of people would probably watch if they didn't know the spoilers..

But without spoilers, it so much more fun. I know some say that good spoilers make them watch even more. I was like that.. I used to read every spoiler and when something good was about to happen, I would anxiously await for it to play out before my eyes. And it was great.

But now I am spoiler free for most of my fav shows (BB, Grey's, Lost, Prison Break and General Hospital) and not knowing what's coming is even more fun than knowing and anxiously waiting!

Spoiler free is the way to go!! :D

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply