Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days:Frank Parker News; and more
Topic Started: Aug 10 2007, 02:24 PM (1,621 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

SteveFrame
Aug 11 2007, 10:31 PM
Then if he is going to be signed as a day player then Shawn is most likely not killed then. Surely they wouldn't go to the effort of bring Shawn back from the dead or giving him a double when soaps are not interested in using actors of his age anymore.

Yeah, maybe they haven't decided if they are killing him off or not yet.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

I don't see how getting rid of all these "older" vets is gonna help them any. Yes it's going to free up the budget, but it's going to hurt the show tremendously if they use the extra money to hire some cheap newbie actors.

It's sad to say, but with all the rumored firings, this looks like the end of the road for Days, no matter how committed Sony is to finding it a new home.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

To me, his being hired as a day player would be as another character like a background person or extra. That is how it came off to me. It sounds like they want to get rid of him for story reasons but want to use him in other ways as kind of a thank you. It's weird but nice in a way, if that is how it goes.

As for Suzanne, Peggy, and whoever else, they are used as recurring players anyway. If the show can save money, they need to do it. NBC isn't helping right now and I would much rather see money being used on vets that are crucial to story right now then ones that are basically recurring anyway. I hate to see it happen but if it must, it must. As long as it's not Peter, Kristian, Deidre, etc...I am fine.

If you asked me that a year or so ago, I would say no way but Days needs to make cuts somewhere.

I would also take all this with a grain of salt. I was just at the Sony boards and there was a rumor about Thaoo and Leann getting fired too that was proven to be false by sources close to Thaoo. It seems Wendy from SNS confirmed that too and she has a history of confirming things that turn out to be not true, especially in Thaoo's case as was outlined on those boards.

I do think Frank is out for sure and don't doubt other changes but I think we need to wait until we know more before saying it's the end of Days. I don't see Days hiring a bunch of newbies either. The only newbies I think we may see is a nuAbby and the IWTBASS winner. We may get a nuMimi too but, other then that, I don't see anyone else new coming on of long-term standing.

Sony wants the show to last so while it may not last beyond 2009 on a major network, it could find a home on cable or Soapnet or something. When the times comes, we'll see. This is all really weird though.

Does anyone know if this source that started all this is the same one who claimed a Days "icon" would be out last November? I remember that source was pretty reliable back then.

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

I'd rather they ditch Roman, instead of Maggie and Caroline.

And concerning Thaao, I think they should keep him in Salem as Andre, then have Tony and Anna take off to live happily ever after in Europe; thus allowing for Tony to make occasional appearances as the good DiMera.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Quote:

I would also take all this with a grain of salt. I was just at the Sony boards and there was a rumor about Thaoo and Leann getting fired too that was proven to be false by sources close to Thaoo. It seems Wendy from SNS confirmed that too and she has a history of confirming things that turn out to be not true, especially in Thaoo's case as was outlined on those boards.

Wendy didn't say that Thaao and Leann were fired, but that they have short-term contracts. The person at CoffeeRooms that orginally posted the rumor about Frank did say they will be gone in the fall though.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Angie79
Aug 11 2007, 11:26 PM
Quote:

Wendy didn't say that Thaao and Leann were fired, but that they have short-term contracts. The person at CoffeeRooms that orginally posted the rumor about Frank did say they will be gone in the fall though.

Oh, I know she didn't. What I was referring to was she has put out info in the past about him that has proven to be wrong. She is not completely reliable but that is the case with any source, really.

Thaoo signed for a year and LeAnn is recurring. Thaoo's webmaster said he is not out anytime soon and Thaoo felt as if a Roman/Anna/Tony triangle may be coming. As long as Hogan is around, they aren't leaving. He would not undo the damage to Tony and re-introduce Anna if he didn't have plans. Say what you want about him but that wouldn't make sense.

We'll see. This has gotten rather confusing and it's something we should learn more about as the next week or so unfolds.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Phoenix i hope your right, because i'm loving Tony, Anna, and even Andre..but Hogan might have also needed a big villian in the story to cause some chaos and try to off some bradys..A person that doesn't have longterm potential..Thus turning Tony into Andre..and making 80's fans happy by reuniting tony and anna, and having Andre be responsible for all the bad deeds of tony over the past couple decades..

but maybe the intention was always to right that wrong, and keep TP for a while as Andre to be the bad guy in the story...

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

In the newest SID

It states that Leann and Thaao have open ended deals and neither have a final date, and are still working.

Joe Mascolo also praises Hogan Sheffer and the Brady/Dimera fued and that NBC told him [Sheffer] to "Keep going with it"

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Frank Parker has been on this show for too long (24 years I believe) to be just a day player as someone other than Grandpa Shawn Brady. If he's coming back as a "day-player" he's going to be Grandpa Shawn as a recurring character. They're not going to have Parker in the background as an extra. That would be too distracting, especially if Gradnpa Shawn is killed. Fans will be wondering, "Why is Grandpa Shawn sitting at Chez Rouge with someone that's not Caroline, and isn't he supposed to be dead?" That just doesn't make sense.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

As for Rogers and McCay, I believe that they should remain on their contracts. They have devoted just as much, and with Rogers, more time than Kristian, Deidre, Peter and Drake. Why are those four considered the main vets of this show? Rogers and McCay are Emmy nomintated actresses! Rogers even won! Have the big four ever been nominated? Maybe Kristian in the 80s. I don't remember. I know the others haven't, not even the great Deidre Hall.

I will honestly be outraged if this show puts Rogers through what they did 4 years ago. It's not fair, especially to an actress that's put over 30 years in with this show. The same thing goes for McCay. There are storyline potentials for these two. Hogan's just going to have to find them. If he doesn't, expect much more backlash.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

My question is, how are they going to make him a day-player? The Brady pub is still going to be there, and I'm assuming Caroline is still going to be there. Given the fact that Shawna and Caroline are married, and his old age, where would he logically be?

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Drew Very well stated again. You are on a roll buddy.

One correction - yes Deidre Hall has been nominated for Emmys.

1980 for Supporting Actress when her son DJ died

1984 - for Best Actress

1985 - for Best Actress

Kristian has one nomination for Best Younger Actress

Emmy Stats for Days:

Frances Reid (2 noms)
Bill Hayes (2 noms)
Peggy McKay (2 noms)
Jensen Ackles (2 noms)
Billy Warlock (2 noms)
Charlotte Ross (2 noms)

Deidre Hall (3 noms)
Macdonald Carey (3 noms)

Susan Seaforth Hayes (4 noms)

Both Susan Flannery & Suzanne Rogers who are the only other 2 Days stars to win besides Carey only were nominated 1 time for Days.

I believe these are the only stars with more than 1 nomination from Days. Others to get 1 nomination that I remember are: Kristian Alfonso, Eileen Davidson, and Kyle Lowder.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Suzanne Rogers also has the distinction of being the FIRST actress to win the Outstanding Supporting Actress Emmy.

I'd like to add these to the Days Emmy nominations/wins:

Patrika Darbo was nominated for Supporting actress in 2000.

Jensen Ackles was nominated for Younger Actor in 1999 and 2000.

Melissa Reeves was nominated once for Younger Actress in 1992.

Charlotte Ross was nominated twice for Younger Actress, in 1990 and 1991.

Darrell Thomas Utley was nominated once in 1989 for Younger Actor.

Joseph Campanella was nominated once for Supporting Actor in 1989. That same year, Jane Elliot was nominated for Supporting Actress.

Billy Warlock was nominated twice for Outstanding Younger Actor and WON the award once in 1988.

Stephen Nichols was nominated for Lead Actor in 1988. Arleen Sorkin was nominated for Supporting Actress that same year.

Leann Hunley WON the Supporting Actress Emmy in 1986.

Lisa Trusel was nomianted for Younger Actress in 1985.

Jed Allen and John Clark had nominations for Lead Actor in 1979.

Bill Hayes had nominations for Lead Actor in 1975 and 1976.

Jonatha

Y&RWorldTurner
Aug 12 2007, 11:06 AM
Suzanne Rogers also has the distinction of being the FIRST actress to win the Outstanding Supporting Actress Emmy.

Joseph Campanella was nominated once for Supporting Actor in 1989. That same year, Jane Elliot was nominated for Supporting Actress.

Billy Warlock was nominated twice for Outstanding Younger Actor and WON the award once in 1988.

Stephen Nichols was nominated for Lead Actor in 1988. Arleen Sorkin was nominated for Supporting Actress that same year.

Wow, who knew and what happened that Days never gets an Emmy nod for acting anymore? :shrug:

KMan101
Member Avatar

If they get rid of Suzanne, I'm done too.

That's utter bullshit.

Ridge
Member Avatar

Don't get this though, if Shawn Sr. dies what is the point of having him as a day player?? And it is looking like another attack on the vets?

And if Tony and Anna (sucks for her) are short term why is the show spending so much effort on Tony/Andre? I thought his was definitely for a year at least. Weird.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Jonatha
Aug 12 2007, 12:41 PM
Y&RWorldTurner
Aug 12 2007, 11:06 AM

Wow, who knew and what happened that Days never gets an Emmy nod for acting anymore? :shrug:

Under the new system Days has no chance at nominations due to networks using block voting - in other words:

AMC votes for OLTL and GH and vice versa

Days votes for Passions and vice versa

Y&R votes for ATWT, GL, & B&B and vice versa

You vote across network lines

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

SteveFrame
Aug 12 2007, 11:52 AM
Drew Very well stated again. You are on a roll buddy.

One correction - yes Deidre Hall has been nominated for Emmys.

1980 for Supporting Actress when her son DJ died

1984 - for Best Actress

1985 - for Best Actress

Kristian has one nomination for Best Younger Actress

:o Oh, wow, I didn't think Dee was ever nominated. Well, that's good to know that at least she's been nominatd. It's a wonder she's never won, but whatever.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Wendy's post is viewable here:

News from Weirdwend

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I am not saying I want it to happen. I could care less about Parker because it's been rumored he wanted out before due to health issues. I would never want him back as a day player. That's stupid and I would be pissed too if they did that to McKay or Rogers or both. I don't think they will.

However, if McKay or Rogers was taken off contract, I would be unhappy but could understand it. The show has financial trouble and if those two are being used as recurring players anyway why not make them that? I don't want it to happen but I can see the motivation and reason behind that. At least Days uses their vets, unlike other shows, and I don't buy for a second that putting any vet on recurring at Days is a death sentence because they use recurring actors quite well on Days. Corday may be a dumbass but he knows he can't gut the vets. He learned that so he would use them just like he always has.

If Days needs money to be able to use the vets that are active in story, then they need to do what they must. The ratings will not go down if Rogers or McKay is knocked to recurring. It sucks but it would not change anything. If PR, KA, etc went to recurring then that would be different.

The vets have earned respect and deserve to be on contract but these are changing times. Yes, it's the problem the TPTB created but it is what it is. Days needs to do what it must to survive. I hate seeing bets get cut or fired altogether but I hate how we always get to the point where so and so can't go because they are a vet. It straps a show and a writer if we always have this lock on who can be cut and who can't be cut. If a writer sees a chance to do a story, he or she needs to go ahead and tell it if they think it's worth it, regardless of what it may do. Soaps don't take risks anymore, especially Days, because so many fans are limiting what they can and can't do.

One thing I will give JER is he had the balls to kill off some main characters. Granted, they weren't dead and I hated the fact that he did it but the idea to take that big of a risk and to tell a story with impact is something I admire and wish more of daytime would do. That is not to say I want Hogan or any other writer to start cutting or killing vets but I would like to see more riskier stories and more gutsy material.

I am just glad that NBC told Hogan to continue with the Dimera story. Good news, indeed. Hopefully, it will only get better as time goes on, especially with Ed on board.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply