Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days:Frank Parker News; and more
Topic Started: Aug 10 2007, 02:24 PM (1,618 Views)
Steve Frame
Member Avatar

It can try to be spinned anyway you want it. And not just with Days but any of the shows. It all comes down to respect.

Just as in the article that I posted about Passions - one of the problems that is listed as to why soaps are going down is fans are defecting because the tried and true characters they love are being dumped.

When shows dump these vets it is bad publicity and gives the show a bad image to the public. Sure AMC got big money freed by dumping Julia Barr, Jill Larson, Cady McClain and Tonya Pinkins but the negative publicity and the fans they lost over it have cost them in the long run.

The negative publicity that GH got over Anna Lee esp. hurt them big time.

Sure ratings didn't plunge big time right off the bat but over time they did for both shows - in terms that they hit not hit and miss viewers but loyal base fans who left.

Just like real life when companies do the same thing for long time employees in order to try to keep the company alive it doesn't help them either. It leaves a bad taste in the public's minds.

People can try to spin it as a needed necessity but there is nothing positive about any one losing their job and esp. a vet whether it is done to keep the show on the air or not.

To me I am tired of losing the characters I love and know just for the sake of keeping a show on the air. I would take Caroline and Maggie over Stefano, Tony, Jeremy, Jett, or any of that damn bunch any day of the week.

And as to the recurring thing Bo, Hope, John & Marlena are used as recurring players now so why not dump them to recurring now too if that is the argument that is being used.

And I still don't get where Days uses vets better than any other show. I must be watching the wrong show. I can't commend any show right now for using their vets. The only long time vets that involved in a story of all their own right now are Susan on ATWT and Reva, Josh & Alexandra on GL. Bo, Hope, John, Marlena, Maggie, Caroline and Shawn are afterthoughts in the stories on Days. They are there but even Shawn who should be a key player is really not on the big story that started with him.

And I don't see Days being a good example of recurring players either. None of the recurring players except for Tonya Boyd ever gets any significant airtime. John Aniston comes and goes and will be gone for long periods of time even when you think he should be there. Same for Bill & Susan Hayes.

REally the only show that recurring is not a death knoll is for Ilene Kristen on OLTL who seems to air more than many contract players do.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

King
Member Avatar

Everyone/anyone is fair game, but it would suck to lose Rogers.

Deleted User
Deleted User

As mostly everyone else has said Grandpa Shawn's death has been due for some time. But if they were to lose Rogers, the best actor, amle or female, on the show, then it just goes to show that an ape would be better off running things
Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Fine Steve. I am not going to have this debate again.

I can't believe you list Bope as not being involved that much when they have been very active in the Dimera story and have even more story coming up this week.

Whatever. I am not longer interested in convincing anyone of anything.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

PR, Don't take things so personal. you stated your opinion and I stated mine. That is what a message board is. You don't have to get so mad when someone doesn't agree with everything you say about Days.

The reason I list Bope is because from what I see they could very easily be replaced by anyone in the DiMera story. They are not key players. The role that they are fulfilling can be completed by anyone at this point. I know that the Ireland stuff is more personal than anything else, but to me they are just not key to the story. They are on, but they just aren't that important to the overall thing.

That is my biggest problem with the Dimera/Brady story as I have said so many times. This feud between the DiMera's and the Bradys has been going on since 1983 - 24 years now. The principal players throughout it all have been John, Roman, Bo, Hope, Marlena, Stefano, and Tony/Andre with Abe, Lexxie, Maggie, Mickey, Doug, Julie, Don Craig and others thrown in at various points. Even at one point when Tony teamed up with Tony she was briefly involved.

I do not want a story that centers on Stefanos obsession with Marlena or even Hope or Marlena being kidnapped again, but I want them to have an important role in the story. A role that will have a long term affect on them. This is the big culmination of verything that has gone on for 24 years on the show. And right now the principal players are like afterthoughts in the story. Sure Bo & Hope are seen alot but unless something big happens soon they are just investigating a case at this point - at least that is how it seems to me. And it shouldn't feel that way.

And one last comment. Maybe it is different for you but I don't post to try and convince anyone of anything. I post my opinion. I don't post with the express thought of changing anyones mind. I state how the story appears to me. I read someone elses thoughts and then explain what I see in connection to that.

I care about Days but as far as anyone else I don't feel like it is my place to convince them of anything. I think everyone on here are adults and can make up their own minds. Just my thought anyway.

Now if someone like Rick asks the question about what show they should pick up or should not pick up, then yes I would try to swing them to a certain point, but I don't set out with the goal of changing anyone's opinion or making them feel a certain way about Days when I post in threads. I just post for the discussion.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

SteveFrame
Aug 12 2007, 11:15 PM
PR, Don't take things so personal. you stated your opinion and I stated mine. That is what a message board is. You don't have to get so mad when someone doesn't agree with everything you say about Days.

The reason I list Bope is because from what I see they could very easily be replaced by anyone in the DiMera story. They are not key players. The role that they are fulfilling can be completed by anyone at this point. I know that the Ireland stuff is more personal than anything else, but to me they are just not key to the story. They are on, but they just aren't that important to the overall thing.

That is my biggest problem with the Dimera/Brady story as I have said so many times. This feud between the DiMera's and the Bradys has been going on since 1983 - 24 years now. The principal players throughout it all have been John, Roman, Bo, Hope, Marlena, Stefano, and Tony/Andre with Abe, Lexxie, Maggie, Mickey, Doug, Julie, Don Craig and others thrown in at various points. Even at one point when Tony teamed up with Tony she was briefly involved.

I do not want a story that centers on Stefanos obsession with Marlena or even Hope or Marlena being kidnapped again, but I want them to have an important role in the story. A role that will have a long term affect on them. This is the big culmination of verything that has gone on for 24 years on the show. And right now the principal players are like afterthoughts in the story. Sure Bo & Hope are seen alot but unless something big happens soon they are just investigating a case at this point - at least that is how it seems to me. And it shouldn't feel that way.

And one last comment. Maybe it is different for you but I don't post to try and convince anyone of anything. I post my opinion. I don't post with the express thought of changing anyones mind. I state how the story appears to me. I read someone elses thoughts and then explain what I see in connection to that.

I care about Days but as far as anyone else I don't feel like it is my place to convince them of anything. I think everyone on here are adults and can make up their own minds. Just my thought anyway.

Now if someone like Rick asks the question about what show they should pick up or should not pick up, then yes I would try to swing them to a certain point, but I don't set out with the goal of changing anyone's opinion or making them feel a certain way about Days when I post in threads. I just post for the discussion.

I agree with pretty much everything you said in this Steve.

I am one of those people who actually isn't upset at all, and is actually happy, that Alison Sweeney/Sami are front and center in this thing because I think it's her time but I do wish that someone besides Sami and EJ were shown having a real emotional investment in all of this. And I don't think they've done a very good job at all of demonstrating how this feud has emotionally impacted anyone besides Sami and EJ.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I don't post to convince anyone of anything either. I just post what I think. I can't help it if I give Hogan and Days the benefit of the doubt. I have my reasons. It just seems like you don't watch the show everyday when you say phases like "From what I see" and so on so I guess it eats at me.

I didn't take this personal. However, that is not to say some things that have gone on haven't hurt me.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

PR, I watch some of Days every single day. My VCR tapes it. Now the reason I say "From what I have seen" is that I do not "see" everything that goes on with Days. Some things and scenes I am still finding very very boring and I will tune out or I will FF them but I am not the only Days fan that is doing that. There are some that are saying that at Sony, at Soap Central, here and even at SoapNet.

I even still love the show enough that I read every report on the show here except all the daily threads. I have never been one to read the daily threads on any show every day even when I was posting at SON. That is just not my thing. I love reading teh reports, previews, and even the spoilers. The only time I go into the daily threads is when I have something I feel very passionate about on a show that happened that day. It may be passionate in a good way or it may be in a bad way. Just like as I have said before I felt very passionate about one show last week that I thought was very very good. And I said so.

And as to giving benefit of the doubt - there is not a soap on daytime right now that I give any benefit of the doubt too. They have all burned me and the fans way too much to be given any kind of benefit of the doubt too. When they give me good consistent balanced drama again that entertains me as it once did then I might be able too but consistent is the key word there.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Aug 12 2007, 11:27 PM
SteveFrame

I am one of those people who actually isn't upset at all, and is actually happy, that Alison Sweeney/Sami are front and center in this thing because I think it's her time but I do wish that someone besides Sami and EJ were shown having a real emotional investment in all of this. And I don't think they've done a very good job at all of demonstrating how this feud has emotionally impacted anyone besides Sami and EJ.

I appreciate your comments very much.

As to the Sami thing, I guess people think I am anti-Sami because I don't like her the center of this story. Believe me I am not. I still Alison Sweeney even though I do think she is on overkill right now.

I do not have a problem with her being the center of the show now. She has put in her time and is deserving of that. I agree with everyone on that. Although I do feel that all the shows should take a step back and quit featuring 1 or 2 characters as much as they all do. But that is a complaint toward all soaps and not just Days.

But Sami is deserving. She is one of the Best Actresses Days has and they should showcase her, but it shouldn't be this story. And that is my problem. She should be part of it as the next generation but not the be all and end all of the story.

As you said EJ and Sami should not be the only ones whose story, existence or whatever is affected by this story.

I am still trying to hold out hope but I had so hoped that this story would put to rest many of the story loopholes and mysteries for the years. I was really hoping that it would put to rest forever why John was used as the pawn and what his true identity was, why Steve was kidnapped (since they went as far as rewriting history with that), and so many other things. Right now some of those things are not even being hinted at. I know that the Steve stuff was kind of cleared up, but there are still big potholes in that for me.

Oh well there is still hope but so far we are almost 2 months into the story and it has just not hooked me yet and I had so hoped that this would be the story that did. But right now when they get on the letters and Santo/Colleen it just puts me to sleep.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Phoenix, you say that you are not taking things so personally, but by the it comes off to people by the things you post, it sounds like you've taken it very personally. "Whatever..." "I'm not going to try and convince anyone of anything..." That sounds like you're sour.

You can't convince anyone of anything they don't want to hear. So stop getting offended or upset when someone doesn't agree with you on your opinion. It annoys you? Well some of the things you post annoy me and other posters. Everyone has their own opinions and I think its time we all start respecing them.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

SteveFrame
Aug 12 2007, 11:50 PM
IMissAremid
Aug 12 2007, 11:27 PM
SteveFrame

I appreciate your comments very much.

As to the Sami thing, I guess people think I am anti-Sami because I don't like her the center of this story. Believe me I am not. I still Alison Sweeney even though I do think she is on overkill right now.

I do not have a problem with her being the center of the show now. She has put in her time and is deserving of that. I agree with everyone on that. Although I do feel that all the shows should take a step back and quit featuring 1 or 2 characters as much as they all do. But that is a complaint toward all soaps and not just Days.

But Sami is deserving. She is one of the Best Actresses Days has and they should showcase her, but it shouldn't be this story. And that is my problem. She should be part of it as the next generation but not the be all and end all of the story.

As you said EJ and Sami should not be the only ones whose story, existence or whatever is affected by this story.

I am still trying to hold out hope but I had so hoped that this story would put to rest many of the story loopholes and mysteries for the years. I was really hoping that it would put to rest forever why John was used as the pawn and what his true identity was, why Steve was kidnapped (since they went as far as rewriting history with that), and so many other things. Right now some of those things are not even being hinted at. I know that the Steve stuff was kind of cleared up, but there are still big potholes in that for me.

Oh well there is still hope but so far we are almost 2 months into the story and it has just not hooked me yet and I had so hoped that this would be the story that did. But right now when they get on the letters and Santo/Colleen it just puts me to sleep.

When I made the comment about the anti-Sami people I wasn't exactly lumping you in that category, I was just thinking about the anti-Sami brigade of people I count on some less civil soap boards like Sony who try to lay all the problems with this feud storyline at the foot of Alison Sweeney and/or James Scott. And I don't think you are one of those people for the record, but was just talking about in general that when I complain about the storyline I am obviously coming from a different place than a lot of people as an EJami fan who is getting to see the characters I like best on screen a lot.

ITA about having wanted John's paternity and Steve's past as a DiMera henchman cleared up in this, but I've given up hope that we're going to get that. I also don't get how Stefano can completely ignore his past feelings toward Marlena when considering his son's feelings for Marlena's daughter. It just doesn't make sense that there wouldn't be some sort of connection made there. And when I heard that Anna was coming back I also dared to hope maybe they would make EJ the longlost son of Tony and Anna and say he was brainwashed to think he was Elvis or something, just so that we would get something to flesh out his history more and because I thought EJ being their son would be a great story for Tony and Anna but alas I've given up hope about that too with it not seeming like Leann is ever gonna get a contract. I mean I know with it being the most ridiculous SORAS ever that they can't go into things too much about EJ's youth but I just thought with Stefano and Tony coming back we would get more about EJ's past finally than some bizarre throwaway line about him having grown up at Maison Blanche (that contradicted a lot of what they had told us before about him having a British nanny and in no way explains how he has a British accent if he grew up in the South as the son of an Italian man).

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Via JASON47

Here's contract stats for DAYS

Peter Reckell (Bo): August 2007
Darin Brooks (Max): June 2008
Drake Hogestyn (John): January 2008
Jay Johnson (Philip): January 2008
Lauren Koslow (Kate): January 2008
Bryan Dattilo (Lucas): February 2008
Rachel Melvin (Chelsea): May 2008
Frank Parker (Grandpa Shawn): May 2008
Thaao Penghlis (Tony): May 2008
Josh Taylor (Roman): May 2008
Mary Beth Evans (Kayla): June 2008
Stephen Nichols (Steve): June 2008
Suzanne Rogers (Maggie): June 2008
Peggy McCay (Caroline): July 2008
Deidre Hall (Marlena): August 2008
James Reynolds (Abe): May 2009
James Scott (E.J.): May 2009
Renee Jones (Lexie): June 2009
Kristian Alfonso (Hope): June 2009
Joseph Mascolo (Stefano): June 2009
Alison Sweeney (Sami): September 2009
Julie Pinson (Billie): September 2009
Brandon Beemer (Shawn): September 2009
Blake Berris (Nick): November 2009
Shelley Hennig (Stephanie): April 2010
Marcus Patrick (Jett): June 2010
Trevor Donovan (Jeremy): June 2010
Martha Madison (Belle): July 2010
Frances Reid (Alice): Lifetime

I'm confused because this shows Thaao signed a one year contract?

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I didn't think you were lumping me in there, but in case you were I wanted to state how I felt about Allison.

I was so hoping that EJ would end up being Tony & Anna's too. It would be a great tribute to them, and make more sense. And it would esp. be great since they are there and EJ's childhood could be fleshed out with them there. It would have been great to do it the other way with Kirsten or Susan back but that didn't happen and at this point with so many on the show she is not needed since they have Tony & Anna.

I have wondered about the British accent too after the Maison Blanche stuff.

I have to say the rumor of Lucas being a DiMera would be a nice twist, but I would rather see John end up being the DiMera - if they ever go there. But I have a feeling that since Lucas is younger Hogan will go that route. I just wish Lucas would stay a Horton and them actually use that connection.

I guess I was just wanting more of a history to the story that included characters we have known and loved for the last 24 years of this story. And I was so excited that way in the beginning of the story. I wasn't posting anywhere then and didn't put it into writing. But when they brought on Doug & Julie and revisited Doug's PLace I thought - damn Hogan you have really surprised me and you are going to do this right. But he disappointed me again. I know that Santo is Stefano's father and Colleen is Shawn's sister, but even after the letters and them being onscreen I still don't feel like I know them and still have not gotten attached enough to care what happens to them.

I haven't given up hope yet Aremid, but it does dwindle a little each day. I still hope that at some point some of these things will creep in there.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Rick
Aug 13 2007, 12:18 AM
Via JASON47

Here's contract stats for DAYS

Peter Reckell (Bo): August 2007
Darin Brooks (Max): June 2008
Drake Hogestyn (John): January 2008
Jay Johnson (Philip): January 2008
Lauren Koslow (Kate): January 2008
Bryan Dattilo (Lucas): February 2008
Rachel Melvin (Chelsea): May 2008
Frank Parker (Grandpa Shawn): May 2008
Thaao Penghlis (Tony): May 2008
Josh Taylor (Roman): May 2008
Mary Beth Evans (Kayla): June 2008
Stephen Nichols (Steve): June 2008
Suzanne Rogers (Maggie): June 2008
Peggy McCay (Caroline): July 2008
Deidre Hall (Marlena): August 2008
James Reynolds (Abe): May 2009
James Scott (E.J.): May 2009
Renee Jones (Lexie): June 2009
Kristian Alfonso (Hope): June 2009
Joseph Mascolo (Stefano): June 2009
Alison Sweeney (Sami): September 2009
Julie Pinson (Billie): September 2009
Brandon Beemer (Shawn): September 2009
Blake Berris (Nick): November 2009
Shelley Hennig (Stephanie): April 2010
Marcus Patrick (Jett): June 2010
Trevor Donovan (Jeremy): June 2010
Martha Madison (Belle): July 2010
Frances Reid (Alice): Lifetime

I'm confused because this shows Thaao signed a one year contract?

That's all I have ever seen that he signed for. I think it was rumored at one time it was 2 years, but Thaao later reported it was shorter and only 1 year for now.

Of course with all soap contracts they have those cycles where they can fire anyone at 3 month intervals I think.

I think at some point probably story will run out for Andre or Tony and that person will leave but Thaao will stay at least his full year.

KristianFanForever
Member Avatar
Shove your crappy show where the sun don't shine, Corday!

This is sad. I will miss him.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply