Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days: Exec Changes & Cast Cuts; and National Enquirer spoilers
Topic Started: Aug 15 2007, 12:14 PM (2,554 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

There is no feature article of the DAYS events this week but the big story is about DAYS behind the scenes. Just a brief summary:

Huge DAYS Shake-Up; Cast Cuts Ahead.

In a surprising move, former Y&R Executive Producer Edward Scott has been hired as DAYS co-Executive Producer, replacing Stephen Wyman. He reported to work on Augsut 6. Supervising Producer Roy Steinberg is also out, along with casting director Fran Brascom, who was replaced by former Y&R Casting Director Marnie Saitta.

Such a big change at the top indicated that there might be life in DAYS past 2009, when its contract expires with NBC. Corday says, "I honestly believe that NBC wants to stay with DAYS OF OUR LIVES. They're looking for a very strong show of change, faith and support from me. They believe the show could be improved, as do I.." Translation: Expect changes ahead."There is a need to, I don't to say drastically change the cast size, but the cast size is large," he concedes. "So there will be - without putting fear into their hearts - cast changes that are necessary over the next few months."

National Enquirer Spoilers for wk of 8/27:

Lucas is forced to save EJ's life.

While arresting Andre, Roman is injected with a sedative.

Belle and Phillip get too close.

Benjy is kidnapped.

Second Chances
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

King
Member Avatar

LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!!!!

Bring on the changes. They are SO needed.

LMAO. Poor Roman. He is getting the shit kicked out of him this summer.

Manny
Member Avatar

Hmm.. I wonder what they plan to do... Well, I guess another PLAN TO SAVE DAYS is on the way! This is like #4 or 5 this year! LOL

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Good to hear NBC wants to help although I don't buy it really. I know Sony wants to save it. Sony was pissed about the statement back in January so maybe they got pissed at NBC and NBC is trying to backtrack a bit. Who knows. Perhaps the new NBC head wants to try to help the show.

I am worried about the cast changes but whatever they have to do is fine. I just hope they choose wisely. I know it's probably likely some of the vets go to recurring but I hope not. However, better to see them at all then not at all. The show is in trouble and they need to keep those around that are active in stories and are the money characters at this juncture.

I still think they should fire Drake. He is bringing Marlena down and I feel tension in his scenes with everyone else since his comments. He adds nothing to the show anymore and it frees up Marlena. That alone would help the budget but that's JMO.

The upcoming stuff sounds good. More action in the Dimera story is always a good thing. Good seeing Benji back.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

I can see a few vets possibly going on recurring and a few of the relative newbies being fired. If this happens to someone significant, then yes, you can expect a backlash. I just hope it isn't a big name actor, because Days certainly cannot afford a backlash of any sort right now. With NBC switching the show's timeslot in a few of the big markets and possible casting changes, the show cannot afford to lose even a little bit of the audience it has left. Corday, Scott, Hogan, NBC, and Sony better be careful.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

If the show plans to keep Mascolo or Penghlis and all indications are that they do at least want to keep Penghlis, I see some big changes having to be made. And as much as McKay, Parker, and Rogers are paid I don't see that saving them enough money to balance the budget.

I think they will have to get rid of someone big. Plus now they are having to pay for Edward Scott and Hogan Sheffer and neither one of them came cheap - you can bet on that.

Definitely firing newbies like Henning or some of them won't do it either.

As Manny said this is the 4th or 5th plan in a year's time that we have had. First there was get rid of Reilly, Second bring on Sheffer and cut the budget by firing many, 3rd backburner the vets totally, 4th was to bring back the big 4 and the DiMeras, and now #5 Edward Scott and fire more people.

I find it strange that they fired all those people last year to balance the budget. Then they rehired all these people to save the show. It is hard to look at things optimistically when many of us wondered why some of our faves were fired and where in the world all the money came from. Corday and Hogan basically said well now we are doing what we want to do, and they were going to put the money into the show to save it.

Now we get this that says more people have to be fired.

Corday, NBC, Hogan, and Sony need to get their act together. All this backstage turmoil and stuff and constantly coming up with new plans is not helping fan confidence at all. And to me all the constant changing is seen onscreen too. As much as I don't think Hogan is living up to what he should be doing at Days, I can admit that all the changes going on has to influence it some. And even now with the back and forth on some thigns in the Brady/DiMera story reminds me of when JER was rewriting the SSK story. It seemed like JER was making it up as he went along, and that is the feeling I get sometimes now when I watch.

And now if it is someone big like Drake, Deidre, Patch or Kayla that has to go, he will have to write in their exits and change story again from what he had planned for this year.

When AW was doing all this years ago, one of the magazines (can't remember which one now) but said it was the longest transition ever in daytime or something to that affect. I think Days is trying rival it. Days has been in transition for way too long now. They need to get one plan, work on it for longer than 2 months before giving up and going to another plan.

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

The sad thing is that I could care less about what happens to the show anymore. In fact, if NBC didn't stay with it, I wouldn't be the least bit sad because the show that I once adored and looked forward to watching everyday is no more.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

They can promote Silverman having faith in Days all they want, but it doesn't make any difference. Everything is ultimately Zucker's decision, who has made it clear that Days might not live past 2009.

Zucker is still the head of NBC-Universal, Silverman just oversees the day to day operations of the television division. In other words, Zucker is Silverman's boss and whatever Zucker wants is going to happen.

NBC is switching Days' timeslot in the major markets, the show has lost nearly 800,000 viewers from a year ago, advertisers are noticing this and starting to offer up less advertisements. It's a whole chain of reactions that NBC themselves set up years before. With the show losing viewers and advertising revenue, and productions costs always going up, NBC is setting themselves up for Days to fail. Not to mention, Days is their last existing soap and they've been anxious to get out of the soap business for at least 15 years now.

Part of me thinks Days would be better off on another network, but it isn't guaranteeed that another network will carry the show, when NBC decides to dump it. But you can be sure that Days probably wouldn't be in all this trouble if it were a CBS or ABC soap.

King
Member Avatar

My friend just got a job at NBC Universial in NYC. I am going to see if he has heard anything or what the POV of DAYS is there.

Manny
Member Avatar

King
Aug 15 2007, 08:32 PM
My friend just got a job at NBC Universial in NYC. I am going to see if he has heard anything or what the POV of DAYS is there.

Oh yay! Great news! Hopefully he will be able to tell you some news from the inside! :)

Deleted User
Deleted User

This is shocking. I'm floored that Ken said NBC is behind them.
Quote Post Goto Top

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Sounds good..I could take some big changes at Days..the show does need to be shaken up...

and i love the Benji spoiler..

DaysFanJean
Member Avatar

I can only speak from what I like, not knowing any of the heads or what they can or cannot do.

At first I thought the show was getting better, but now it seems to be getting really scattered and disjointed and worse. It definitely needs to get it's balance back.

I think Drake needs to go and then Marlena could be a headliner again. In my dreams, Wayne Northcutt comes back as Alex North's twin brother, to settle the estate with Marlena and tell her about her son with Alex. Of course, we will get a love story out of this that all the original Roman and Marlena fans will LOVE. Obviously, it will need to be written by a writer who understands Days and romance.

I don't care at all for Shelley Henning or Marcus Patrick so they need to go. I'd also like to see Brandon Beemer and Martha Madison written out like Nadia and Kyle were, with the door open to come back. It would be interesting to see Philip take the reins of Titan and start a new story of intrigue there.

Those changes probably wouldn't save much money, but could bring back more interest in the show.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Days wouldn't be saving any money by firing Drake and hiring Wayne back. If Days fires this time I don't see us getting any faves back. I think with Ed Scott there and them trimming the cast, I think these changes will be permanent - at least until after the contract is done and Days knows what the new budget for that will be.

I think if Drake goes Deidre will too. There is no real romantic possibilities for Deidre without Drake as John unless they keep Josh Taylor and put her back with his version of Roman. Or they just keep Dee around totally as a mother figure to Carrie and Sami and I can't see paying Dee's big dollars for that. Of course if they don't keep Leann around, they can always put Dee with either Tony/Andre if they keep Thaao.

I just see more of writing couples out together like Corday did before. So I think if Drake goes Dee will too.

King
Member Avatar

I wouldn't miss John or Marlena to be honest. They've been out of the picture for so long...who cares? :lol:

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

King
Aug 15 2007, 04:16 PM
I wouldn't miss John or Marlena to be honest. They've been out of the picture for so long...who cares? :lol:

I wouldn't miss them either. I usually fast foward their scenes anyway.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Days will never fire or let go Deidre Hall..that would be a huge mistake and bad press...She is the Susan Lucci of the show, and a daytime legend..Drake on the other hand could go, but i hope he does stay..I would rather they got rid of Josh Taylor...

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

There are a lot of fans who do care, but Mike you are probably right. And Kev with Days I have come to expect the unexpected. Susan Seaforth Hayes was the Susan Lucci of daytime when Days let her go and put her on recurring. She and Bill Hayes were the face of daytime then too - even more than Susan Lucci's popularity at the time.

I know there are fans taht don't care for John & Marlena just like many fans didn't see that big of a deal about Doug & Julie, but in the long run them going is just another cut into the loyal fan base. John & Marlena still have a loyal following and I still think that the backburnering that started last year when they were given the 2 months off is part of what ended up putting a big dent in the base of fans.

I know that no one couple really controls the show these days, but any that the show loses right now is not going to help.

But for the show to survive it has to be done. But my biggest fear is what is going to be left of Days when they get through making the cuts. Are all we going to be left with is a shell of the show once we knew just like we have with GL?

GL still puts out some damn good shows but when you watch it the show is just almost unrecgonizable even with a few familiar faces. The older faces are all on recurring and just come and go at Wheeler's whim or Kreizman's. The people use the same sets over and over.

GL had some nice sets and lots of vets but nothing like the sets and vets that Days had. Can Days survive with out those familiar faces? How much of an influence will sets have if they continue to have to cut for the budget?

GL still has it's loyal fanbase that hangs in there and the ratings are within that range each week with little jumps every once in awhile. Is that what we will be left with for Days too?

GL just doesn't have the money (even though it has gotten a little better) to really make the show over to attract new viewers. I just hope when it is all over that Days will still be able too.

I will be anxious to see what the cuts are. If they do keep Dee and Drake, I see some other big hitters like Steve & Mary Beth going when their contracts are up. They have got to get rid of someone big I feel. With new faces in Shawn & Belle, I don't see it being them going.

I feel sure that Rogers and McKay will be fired/put on recurring (both mean the same). Aniston will stay there. And if they are trimming the cast others have got to go too. I would say Taylor will probably go too - at least to recurring.

If they have to make big changes and try to keep Hall, Hogestyn, Reckell & Alfonso and you know they will keep the middle weights like Sweeney and possibly Dattilo.

I see them seeing people like Rogers, McKay, Reynolds, Taylor, and Kaslow to especially be expendable. And it wouldn't surprise me that they see Nichols & Evans to be either.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

I predict the following will be let go.

Mary Beth Evans
Stephen Nichols
Josh Taylor
Marcus Patrick
Frank Parker
Judi Evans

King
Member Avatar

I'd love it if Marcus Patrick left. Hehehehe.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply