Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days: Exec Changes & Cast Cuts; and National Enquirer spoilers
Topic Started: Aug 15 2007, 12:14 PM (2,556 Views)
IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

IMO getting rid of Deidre Hall means there is no way in hell that Days will exist beyond 2009. Even if she's been backburnered since the Alex North debacle, the show still says Starring Deidre Hall.

So even though I'm not a John and Marlena fan I would be saddened because I think a DOOL with Drake and Deidre (OK mostly just Deidre) still attached makes DOOL a more attractive product to sell to other networks.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Rick i don't see Mary Beth and Stephen Nichols being let go..Especially now that they are embarking on a huge story with Pocket, that will include Phillip down the line...Before this story had started, i might have agreed with you..But i think this story will be their saving grace, and make them more popular with fans..

I see Frank Parker, Judi Evans, Josh Taylor, Thaao and Leann Hunley all being let go...and possibly Marcus Patrick or Darrin Brooks (fire one younger character, to not make it look like all vets)...Kind of like when Alexis Thorpe was fired during the SK story...Also the Drake situation will have a lot to do with whether Drake decides to resign or not..Having served over 21 years on the show, and still being popular, i just don't see them firing Drake...

and i have a feeling that Suzanne Rogers and Peggy McCay will either take paycuts or go to recurring...It sucks for such longtime actresses, but its a good cost effective move for the show...Also if Tanya Boyd was put on contract, which i'm not sure she was..She'll be dropped back to recurring...

King
Member Avatar

They should a serial killer storyline FOR REALLLLLLL!

Philip
Shawn Sr.
Andre
Lucas
Jett
Caroline

Let's do this! :lol:

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Rick, Isn't Judi Evans alreayd on recurring?

My predictions are at least a majority of the following will go:

Drake/Deidre - still believe they go hand in hand for Corday; he likes to send couples off together rather than write for them and anger fan bases

Nichols
Evans - I see this story as their swan song Kev

Rogers, Taylor, & McKay to recurring

Parker fired

either both Kaslow & Pinson cut to recurring or sent to recurring

If Drake & Dee stay I see more of the middle pay vets going to bye bye land or recurring than I do if they leave.

I do think we will see less of Judi Evans, and probably Bill & Susan Hayes will go back to a lot less to do.

I dont' think Leann will be given a contract at this point.

I do think some of the newbies will go to like Kev said make it look like not all vets, but the vets are the bulk of the pay and that is what will needed to be cut to make the show more appealing when shopping it around. Plus as I said before they have got to get Scott and Sheffer's salaries somewhere.

I don't say all these will go but I think these are the ones they will see as vulnerable.

We know that Sweeney and Scott are not in danger, and I think REckell and Alfonso are safe, as is Frances Reid, but I think almost everyone else is vulnerable right now. Beemer, Madison, & Johnson have being newer themselves so their salaries are lower so I think that makes them safe too.

King
Member Avatar

Unfortunately, I do think Pinson will be going, despite her new contract and promise of a new story.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Also, I think Hogan is getting a little better a balance, and that helps with the budget as well. No actor should be on 5 days a week.

If the Vets have a 2-3 day a week contract and are only used for those days the show will save money by not having to pay them for 2 more, unless storyline dictates of course.

My final predictions

Leaving -
Stephen Nichols (before years end)
Mary Beth Evans (before years end)
Frank Parker
Marcus Patrick
Thaao Penghlis
Julie Pinson
Darin Brooks
Jay Kenneth Johnson

Recurring/Used as Storyline Dictates -
Judi Evans
LeAnn Hunley
Peggy McCay
James Reynolds
Josh Taylor
Suzanne Rogers
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

King
Aug 15 2007, 07:33 PM
They should a serial killer storyline FOR REALLLLLLL!

Philip
Shawn Sr.
Andre
Lucas
Jett
Caroline

Let's do this! :lol:

I noticed on Jason's site that JKJ apparently only has a one-year deal that is up in Jan. so I suppose that is possible for Phillip. Too bad because Phillip is so much cooler than Shawn it's not even funny.

Here's my dream firings (god I'm such a bitch).

Shawn Sr. killed by Andre
Kate or Billie killed by Andre
Jett killed by Andre
Sami has affair with EJ and Lucas leaves town in disgrace
Max killed in Vegas plane crash caused by DiMeras and dies in Stephanie's arms
Shawn and Belle sail away with Claire on Fancy Face XIII

Is that freeing up enough money?

BTW, how have none of you mentioned the fact that Renee Jones could get fired again/sent to recurring? Did you just forget about her because she has no story (not that I blame you)?

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I meant to include Lexxie and ABe both. I think they both could be casualties as far as recurring goes.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Kevc1980
Aug 15 2007, 07:23 PM
Rick i don't see Mary Beth and Stephen Nichols being let go..Especially now that they are embarking on a huge story with Pocket, that will include Phillip down the line...Before this story had started, i might have agreed with you..But i think this story will be their saving grace, and make them more popular with fans..

I see Frank Parker, Judi Evans, Josh Taylor, Thaao and Leann Hunley all being let go...and possibly Marcus Patrick or Darrin Brooks (fire one younger character, to not make it look like all vets)...Kind of like when Alexis Thorpe was fired during the SK story...Also the Drake situation will have a lot to do with whether Drake decides to resign or not..Having served over 21 years on the show, and still being popular, i just don't see them firing Drake...

and i have a feeling that Suzanne Rogers and Peggy McCay will either take paycuts or go to recurring...It sucks for such longtime actresses, but its a good cost effective move for the show...Also if Tanya Boyd was put on contract, which i'm not sure she was..She'll be dropped back to recurring...

I feel you on that, Kev. I was really worried for Stayla (a couple I didn't even watch in their heyday and absolutely have fallen in love with, mostly thanks to SN's unbelievable acting abilities -- and how natural he is -- and MBE's "she makes you wanna cry" vulnerability) especially with all that insane asylum CRAP. But Pocket really does seem to be the thing that gets the fans to actually take notice. Hogan's smart on this one: people LOVE babies. They're cute. So, attach a cute baby to a popularity-deficient supercouple, throw in a twist of fate that connects them to the younger generation (Philip, Mimi) and presto! Popularity surge.

STAYLA FOREVER!!!

Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

SteveFrame
Aug 15 2007, 07:39 PM

Nichols

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Dear, God! Please don't say that!!! It's bad luck. And besides, I really don't see how such a high profile, actually entertaining story, can be a swan song. This has just GOTTA be the thing that strikes a chord with the fans. I have to believe that, in my heart.
Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

It may strike a chord with fans, but I feel in the long run that Stayla will be like Austin/Carrie and Jack/Jennifer and be one of the couples that right now they feel are expendable - esp. if they are forced to keep John/Marlena and Bo/Hope and you know they are not going to get rid of Sami and EJ. EJ is their next big star. And I honestly don't see unless something changes Corday firing Datilo either.

I mean unless they can get some of those big ones to take big big paycuts, some of the big long time vets have got to go. And with Steve & Kayla being the most recent additions I see them as expendable and someone said their contracts are up in the spring anyway.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

ONe last thing it's all speculation at this point. I mean we don't know how seriously they have to cut the budget. The article just says the cast has to be trimmed. We know last year that it wasn't newbies that got cut, it was some long time cast members so I think we can expect that again. I don't see them getting as much help as they did last year either.

last year they got lucky that stars like Farah Fath, Melissa Reeves and Jason Cook chose to leave on their own. I dn't think that will happen this time.

All I can say is that don't expect it to be easy. I have been ther with GL when they had to purge. Either fans will accept the purge and stick with or they won't. I expect some fans to leave over this depending on who is cut.

It will be a difficult time for everyone and test your devotion to the show big time. It did with many of GL fans. They walked away when the vets did. And they haven't come back.

It will boil down too whether you feel like the show can go on without so and so or not. And whether the show is the same with or without that person. But it won't be easy, and fans are going to get mad and you know how easy Days fans can get mad.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

JERSoapsFan
Aug 15 2007, 09:12 PM
SteveFrame

Nichols

Dear, God! Please don't say that!!! It's bad luck.

JSF, One question why is it bad luck to say that about Steve & Kayla but nothign was mentioned of it being said about any of the other stars/characters and never about Lucas who fans wish would be fired at least 100 times a week.

Hey there are only a few people that are totally safe in all this, and I'm sorry I don't see Steve and Kayla as one of them. Esp. if a big time couple has to go Payla will be first.

Can you imagine Corday making the choice to let John & Marlena go and keep Payla. You talk about wars. It would be war. I mean the two fan bases have already battled numerous times starting with Payla coming on & Jarlena sent on vacation. Then the comfortergate thing.

I see if it comes down to both Hogestyn & Hall staying, he will have to go with the coulple who have the most time in Salem.

Deleted User
Deleted User

SteveFrame
Aug 15 2007, 09:29 PM
JERSoapsFan
Aug 15 2007, 09:12 PM
SteveFrame

Nichols

Dear, God! Please don't say that!!! It's bad luck.

JSF, One question why is it bad luck to say that about Steve & Kayla but nothign was mentioned of it being said about any of the other stars/characters and never about Lucas who fans wish would be fired at least 100 times a week.

Hey there are only a few people that are totally safe in all this, and I'm sorry I don't see Steve and Kayla as one of them. Esp. if a big time couple has to go Payla will be first.

Can you imagine Corday making the choice to let John & Marlena go and keep Payla. You talk about wars. It would be war. I mean the two fan bases have already battled numerous times starting with Payla coming on & Jarlena sent on vacation. Then the comfortergate thing.

I see if it comes down to both Hogestyn & Hall staying, he will have to go with the coulple who have the most time in Salem.

Well, it's bad luck if you say it to someone who LOVES that character or character(s).

That being said, if I were Ed Scott, I'd think the convo would go like this:

(Bear in mind, I don't know who has the power or if such a convo would take place)

KC: (looking at an easel with pics of all the cast members) So, what should we do, Ed, ol' chap? How about Steve and Kayla?

ES: I don't know ... Steve has that patch going for him. AMC's the one with Lucci, GL's the one with the Slut of Springfield, GH has their scrubs... but we're the only one with the guy with a patch. That's pretty cool.

KC: I agree. It's just so "soap opera" to keep the dude with the patch.

ES: Well, OF COURSE. Any other character can be a cookie-cutter hunk or babe, but Steve's got that thing that makes him interesting: thet patch.

KC: So, we should keep Nichols.

ES: But what about Evans?

KC: Hey, if you keep one, ya gotta keep both.

ES: How about Marlena?

KC: Deidre Hall? The star of the show? "Mrs. Days of Our Lives?" The future matriarch?! Of course. Now John...

ES: yeah, I know. Their love scenes are fizzled.

KC: So Drake's out.

ES: Shawn, Belle?

KC: They're the future.

ES: Sami, EJ?

KC: Come on! Of course.

ES: Let's see... Caroline, Victor, Billie, Philip, Maggie...

KC: Gone, gone, gone, gone ... and gone. We could keep Rogers recurring. The young 'uns have to have a place to eat on dates.

ES: Chez Rouge.

KC: And Bo, Hope, Stefano, Andre, Tony, Anna... Well, Bope stay, Stef maybe, Andre's run his course... Tony and Anna... let's talk.

Etc, etc.

I really feel Steve's patch will save him. At least, I hope it will.

That being said, even if it's grim, I'll put up my -- not predictions, but -- guesses of the likely final cast for the revamp:

Marls
Bo
Hope
Shawn
Belle
Tony
Anna
Steve
Kayla
Chelsea
Nick
Sami
EJ
Lucas (sadly :lol:)
Kate (she's entertaining)
Roman (for Marls)
Abe and Lexie
Max

If things are REALLY tight, I'd take Tony and Anna off the list because I can't see them throwing away the only two black characters. It'd be too whitewashed.
Quote Post Goto Top

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

I am a fan of Days of our Lives

But I can say one thing, If John and Marlena or Bo and Hope are let go....

Stick a fork in me, I'm done
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

JSF that is great for you, but I don't see the convo going like that . That's saving all your faves and deleting others faves. There are many Days fans who don't like Steve & Kayla and would be glad to see them gone over others.

So you might see it as bad luck but others don't.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Rick
Aug 15 2007, 10:23 PM

I'd be shocked beyond death if Bope were done. I just don't see that happening. I think part of this DiMera/Bradys plot is there to solidify their future with the show. Notice how Jarlena are taking the backburner.

Again, Bope aren't going. They're too popular or visible right now (and I know what you said, Steve, about SSH and hubby, but these are different times, with tinier ratings and I doubt TPTB can take such risks these days). Marlena, I don't see going either. But John I could very easily see. He's just NOT sexy anymore. I don't know what it is. And if you're on daytime, and you're a man, you pretty much have to be sexy.

But it's funny because Marls isn't sexy either. not that Dee isn't, Marls just isn't. It's not fun watching her fall in love or all that crap -- to me anyway. Please, writers, unsex her. Make her more of a career woman. Have her help all the loonies in Salem with her practice. Have her do something that doesn't require love scenes.

That being said, John should die an honorable death so that, since she should be the show matriarch in the future, she can reflect on her fond memories of John, as Alice does Tom. Somehow, he should die for the family. Maybe even for Sami. That'd be kick, wouldn't it?
Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Rick
Aug 15 2007, 10:23 PM

I think many will feel that way. That is why I think if it comes down to it sadly many will go if all 4 of those want to stay. After this Jan-May, I don't think Corday would risk letting them go by his doing again. They might leave on their own but he will too afraid to risk it.

Deleted User
Deleted User

SteveFrame
Aug 15 2007, 10:27 PM
JSF that is great for you, but I don't see the convo going like that . That's saving all your faves and deleting others faves. There are many Days fans who don't like Steve & Kayla and would be glad to see them gone over others.

So you might see it as bad luck but others don't.

Well, it just so happens those are my faves, but I truly believe that's the way they could think.

I mean, even Shawn is questionable. Right now, he's just a cookie-cutter hunk. The only thing he has going for him is a hot actor and status as a supercouple child. Other than that, he's replaceable. Or can be done without.

But characters that are truly memorable -- the guy with the patch -- offer variety and I believe, help market the show better. I do have a bachelor's in TV (not that I'm touting it or bragging or claiming to be an expert, just saying); so that's why I try to picture it from the marketing perspective, which can be an indicator of ratings potential, or even character selection for the revamped version. Look, I'm not in love with Patch or Kayla -- I do like them a lot, though -- but I will defend their marketability until the death.
Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Well I don't see Corday as thinking that about Patch. he already let them take the fall for the ratings drop. He did it in around about way, but I still say in that inteview his jabs at them were letting them take the fall.

And Marlena, I just don't want to see her without John. I just don't see paying her the big money they do to let her sit around and do nothing like they do Vicki over at OLTL. And I don't want to see them bring on a new character and a new face to have her paired with someone down the road.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply