Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days: Exec Changes & Cast Cuts; and National Enquirer spoilers
Topic Started: Aug 15 2007, 12:14 PM (2,570 Views)
☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

SteveFrame
Aug 16 2007, 12:03 AM
And Marlena, I just don't want to see her without John. I just don't see paying her the big money they do to let her sit around and do nothing like they do Vicki over at OLTL. And I don't want to see them bring on a new character and a new face to have her paired with someone down the road.

I don't see Marlena, John, Bo or Hope having a role in the show without their significant others. I have to agree with you, its pointless to pay the big bucks when I'm certain these vets would be nothing on their own.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Steve and Kayla are going nowhere. MBE and SN both took big pay cuts last year to return and MBE is helping to promote Days by being a judge on IWTBASS. Hogan also loves her and I also think both actors are so loyal that they would accept anything to stay on, just like JR and RJ. Besides, Corday won't risk losing another supercouple fanbase. He may go the way of firing Drake and leaving Dee there. It's a risk but if they gave Marlena ample story it could keep the Marlena fans around. I don't see Dee getting cut by any means, even if Drake goes. Corday has a good relationship with her and she loves the show. Corday knows she is a daytime icon and one that the show needs, especially for promotional purposes.

I see Trevor Donovan being cut and maybe Shelley Hennig if they can't find a story for her. I also think Darin might go since his deal is up next year. McKay and Rogers will go to recurring along with maybe Josh Taylor and the Carvers. Maybe they will fire Utay to save some dough. I am very worried about Koslow because I can see her being fired even though she is getting more airtime. I think Pinson is safe as I believe she took a cut to stay and would even drop to recurring if asked.

I think Bo, Hope, Marlena, Steve, Kayla, Belle, Shawn, Sami, Lucas, EJ, Tony, Anna, Chelsea, Nick, and Billie are safe.

I think Stefano could possible be cut but it depends on future story. We know NBC told Hogan to keep writing the Dimera's so I think he is safe.

I think the ones that will be possibly dropped to recurring are Abe, Lexie, Roman, Maggie, and Caroline.

I think JKJ will leave when his deal was up and I have a feeling Koslow, Donovon and at least one more young star, and Parker will be out. Drake is also a definite candidate IMO too. Cutting Drake may prevent cutting some others.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

I'm not too confident about Anna or Billie being safe. They aren't significant enough, or any air enough to be kept around.

I just don't see how cutting Drake will work. Deidre would have to be cut then, too. Unless of course they killed John off ;)

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Jinxed Soul
Aug 16 2007, 12:12 AM
I'm not too confident about Anna or Billie being safe. They aren't significant enough, or any air enough to be kept around.

I just don't see how cutting Drake will work. Deidre would have to be cut then, too. Unless of course they killed John off ;)

The man threw half of his castmates under the bus in June with his comments. It would improve the atmosphere and the budget to get rid of him. Killing him off would be sufficient.

Anna is recurring and will stay that way. Hogan invested too much in them. I just think Pinson took a pay cut and that they would've got rid of her before signing her. They knew the cast was bloated and still signed her. Matt Ashford was a different case. They tried to change Missy's mind and failed. They thought re-signing Matt would do it and it didn't.

I noticed they said "trim the cast" in the article. They didn't say "cut." To me, that means tweaking so maybe this won't be as bad as we all think.

King
Member Avatar

We all know it's unlikely anyone in the new/younger set will leave. Unfortunately.

DAYS should start by stopping bringing on these unneeded characters like Adrienne, Connor, Ilsa, Benjy, China Lee, Lauren, Jett's girlfriend, Rolf, Bart. I know most of them are gone, but add them up, and that's probably a lot of money. Hoagie's stories seem to thrive on recurring/temporary characters shaking things up, which is good, but if there's no money for it, just stop! It doesn't seem like Hoagie is learning from that mistake with the additions of Lauren and China Lee. Again, the stories aren't that bad, but if the money isn't there...write other storylines.

I just don't get how we hear for a year DAYS has huge budget issues, and Corday goes out and hires Mascolo, Penglis, Jones, JEL, Marcus Patrick, Hennig, Ed Scott, the new casting director, Hunley...I mean if they were in a budget crisis what were they thinking? They thought the ratings and ad rates would go up that much and the show would benefit so much it wouldn't matter?

I don't know. Corday is just not good at business.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I've always thought it would be nice, actually, to have Marlena lose John in a terrible way; and then a year later, reclaim her sexuality and become empowered and rack up a bunch of young, 20-something, college boy toys. I mean, it'd be entertaining to see Marls' bedroom have a revolving door of underwear models. :lol: John is so played out and I think this is the best way to save money and keep the show entertaining.

DO IT, CORDAY! :)
Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I think the budget issues have been there and never left. Corday just got desperate and told NBC to fuck off and brought back who he could. That is how it was implied. I think he may have went to Sony or something for help or just used what money he saved from the cuts he made and from Bo, Hope, John, and Marlena being off. The show did have better ratings for the last half of 2006 so maybe that helped too. Who knows. It was clear that there was budget issues and still is. I noticed since they brought back the Dimera's they use alot fewer sets then they did. They were using fewer sets before but moreso now. They also don't use Stefano, Tony, etc that much. They use them alot one week and minimally the next. Same goes for the other vets. The cheaper actors still get used much more so they are still trying to find ways to save money.

As for the new characters that go in and out, they are needed but there shouldn't be so many. Hogan tends to have one in every story and he should limit that. However, most of them are newbie actors so they don't cost as much as bringing on someone with experience. Plus, those characters last like a few weeks tops. He just needs to limit using them.

Manny
Member Avatar

I don't see them firing Bope at all.

The older gang is out, I'm sure. Not all of them, but majority.

We haven't seen Victor since God knows when and we probably won't.

I can see Suzanne Rogers being the only one staying.

Billie and Kate can go. They are not necessary IMO. Billie hasn't had a storyline in how long?! And Kate? Well, that bitch is so repetitive and boring it's not even funny...

I don't see Steve and Kayla going with their big baby storyline now.

I think Ed Scott will want to keep Abe and Lexie to have some diversity in the cast.

So my picks for who will leave:

Shawn
Caroline
Victor
Billie
Kate
Adrianne
Andre

With possibly Shelle leaving town too...

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

PhoenixRising05
Aug 16 2007, 01:01 AM
Steve and Kayla are going nowhere.  MBE and SN both took big pay cuts last year to return and MBE is helping to promote Days by being a judge on IWTBASS.  Hogan also loves her and I also think both actors are so loyal that they would accept anything to stay on, just like JR and RJ. 

Sadly, Hogan would have no say whatsoever if they decide to get rid of MBE and SN. That would be Corday and Ed Scott's decision. Also, Evans and Nichols may have taken a paycut, but it wasn't that big. They are still being paid at least $7,500 per episode, compared to $1,500-$2,000 for the newbies. lol

I still say balance is all the show needs, If they would stop using Ali Sweeney for 200 episodes per year at 1.5 million bucks, and cut her to 2-3 days a week, that would pay for about 50-75 more episodes for the other veterans.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Rick
Aug 16 2007, 01:42 AM
PhoenixRising05
Aug 16 2007, 01:01 AM
Steve and Kayla are going nowhere.  MBE and SN both took big pay cuts last year to return and MBE is helping to promote Days by being a judge on IWTBASS.  Hogan also loves her and I also think both actors are so loyal that they would accept anything to stay on, just like JR and RJ. 

Sadly, Hogan would have no say whatsoever if they decide to get rid of MBE and SN. That would be Corday and Ed Scott's decision. Also, Evans and Nichols may have taken a paycut, but it wasn't that big. They are still being paid at least $7,500 per episode, compared to $1,500-$2,000 for the newbies. lol

I still say balance is all the show needs, If they would stop using Ali Sweeney for 200 episodes per year at 1.5 million bucks, and cut her to 2-3 days a week, that would pay for about 50-75 more episodes for the other veterans.

I still see Evans and Nichols taking another cut. I don't see them leaving at all.

Ali Sweeney is not the problem. The story is and the fact that the balance around her sucks. She could be on as much as she is if everything else around her was better IMO.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

PhoenixRising05
Aug 16 2007, 02:47 AM
I still see Evans and Nichols taking another cut.  I don't see them leaving at all.

Ali Sweeney is not the problem.  The story is and the fact that the balance around her sucks.  She could be on as much as she is if everything else around her was better IMO.

See that's the thing Phoenix, They can't take another pay cut due to their stature in the business. If they were newbies they could be forced to take a paycut, but as 20+ year veterans in the soap business the bare minimum required by SAG and NATAS is 7,500 per episode. Of course the show could always cut their guarantee to 1 day per week?

I'll agree that Ali personally is not the problem, but the fact that she's been in 75% of the episodes in 2007 is a problem. Plus, now that she's playing a new character (Coleen) she's being paid double.

Ali, Bryan, and James have been in about 110 episodes this year, while Alfonso, Hall have been in 50 and Hogestyn, Rogers, McKay, Parker etc have been in less than 35

IMO The show should run stories in cycles, give a couple sets of characters a storyline for 3-4 months and use the others as supporting characters, then when that storyline wraps up use the others and so on and so forth. I honestly don't see why this is a problem for soap writers?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ah, ok Rick. I still don't see them going.

I wish the soaps could be like that too but in this era of fanbases and bad economics it's hard. As for Ali, she is basically being featured only a little more then she usually is except all the other vets have been featured alot less this year so it makes it look bad.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

The show has way to many actors, well more that they can utilize.

I would support Kate, Billie, Shawn Sr. and Caroline leaving.

Kayla and Steve just returned, and with their involvement in the Pocket Man story and the link to Phillip, I don't see them going anywhere.

I can see Stephanie, Jeremy and Jett gone soon too, once their story wraps.

King
Member Avatar

Manny! You said "bitch." You bad boy!! LOL. Well said, Manny.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Aug 16 2007, 01:28 AM
Jinxed Soul

The man threw half of his castmates under the bus in June with his comments. It would improve the atmosphere and the budget to get rid of him. Killing him off would be sufficient.

Anna is recurring and will stay that way. Hogan invested too much in them. I just think Pinson took a pay cut and that they would've got rid of her before signing her. They knew the cast was bloated and still signed her. Matt Ashford was a different case. They tried to change Missy's mind and failed. They thought re-signing Matt would do it and it didn't.

I noticed they said "trim the cast" in the article. They didn't say "cut." To me, that means tweaking so maybe this won't be as bad as we all think.

How do you know that the atomosphere needs cleared? I don't see any resentment on anyone's faces while they're doing the scenes. If they do have resentment, then they're professionals and don't let it show. I just don't get where you're coming from with this.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Whoever said that the younger cast isn't going anywhere is probably right. Trevor Donovan, while he should leave because Jeremy is not a great character isn't going anywhere I'm afraid. I hate to say it, but Shelley Henning probably won't be going anywhere either. This show isn't going to cut it's younger cast. It's going to cut from the middle of the age ranges.

Here's my prediction of who's getting cut. Some of these would never be cut under my decision, but these are the decisions I think TPTB will make.

Jay K. Johnson - I just don't think the character will ever be written as anything other than a third in Shawn and Belle's storylines. Sadly, that makes Philip and Johnson expendable. He's not really needed if they're going to keep him in that role. I wish they would fully develop his character more, because he should be taking over Victor's spot on this show, but that sadly isn't happening.

Lauren Koslow - Again, the show just isn't interested in giving Kate a storyline that is about her. She has been meddling in her children's lives for years, and it looks like Hogan finally put a stop to it and started having her children stand up to her. They don't listen to her anymore. So if they're not going to change the way Kate behaves, what are they going to have her do? With no storyline, she's not needed. :(

Frank Parker - It would be the best way to boost this storyline, which really needs to happen. Have Grandpa Shawn be the first recent casualty in this feud.

I honestly can't think of anyone else to cut. Everyone's pretty much involved in the storylines right now. I believe TPTB will want to keep Marcus Patrick, just because he's young, attractive and he counts as a minority. Josh Taylor isn't going anywhere no matter what anyone says. If he hasn't gone anywhere in the past 10 years with no story, he's not going anywhere now.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

From the SOD site:

Breaking News
Executive Sweep

DAYS OF OUR LIVES's Executive Producer Ken Corday addresses the surprising behind-the-scenes shakeup that brought Edward Scott in as Co-Executive Producer in the new issue of Digest. "It was a tough decision, but in the end it was the right decision and will really infuse the show, not only with new life and inspiration, but will put somebody on the floor who is a leader and a proven one," he declares. "Ed's record precedes him: 20 years on the top of the Nielsens on the No. 1 show. He's won six Emmy awards out of 12 nominations, but most importantly, he gets it. He is an actors' producer. And it was time to reshape the look of the show and to have a visionary like him that could come in and lock step with me and with Hogan [Sheffer, head writer]. Need I say more?" For more, see the 8/28 issue, on sale now.

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/news/breaking/

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Angie79
Aug 17 2007, 05:35 PM
From the SOD site:

Breaking News
Executive Sweep

DAYS OF OUR LIVES's Executive Producer Ken Corday addresses the surprising behind-the-scenes shakeup that brought Edward Scott in as Co-Executive Producer in the new issue of Digest. "It was a tough decision, but in the end it was the right decision and will really infuse the show, not only with new life and inspiration, but will put somebody on the floor who is a leader and a proven one," he declares. "Ed's record precedes him: 20 years on the top of the Nielsens on the No. 1 show. He's won six Emmy awards out of 12 nominations, but most importantly, he gets it. He is an actors' producer. And it was time to reshape the look of the show and to have a visionary like him that could come in and lock step with me and with Hogan [Sheffer, head writer]. Need I say more?" For more, see the 8/28 issue, on sale now.

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/news/breaking/

I love how Corday is taking all the credit for this, when it's pretty evident Sony planned this themselves. LOL!

King
Member Avatar

ITA! LOL.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Aug 16 2007, 02:40 PM
PhoenixRising05
Aug 16 2007, 01:28 AM
Jinxed Soul

How do you know that the atomosphere needs cleared? I don't see any resentment on anyone's faces while they're doing the scenes. If they do have resentment, then they're professionals and don't let it show. I just don't get where you're coming from with this.

Thanks again Drew. I would love to know the answer to that too. I mean I keep hearing it from Phoenix and just assumed that my months away from message boards that I missed something. I have been following the magazines and not once have I read a blip about the atmosphere behind Days being bad. I jsut assumed some little bird let the news out through a leak or something and I missed. I am glad to know that evidently I wasn't the only one who missed it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply