Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days: Exec Changes & Cast Cuts; and National Enquirer spoilers
Topic Started: Aug 15 2007, 12:14 PM (2,606 Views)
px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

How'd I miss such a fun thread? I love this kind of stuff with Days.

About the atmosphere- I'm not going to speak for anyone, and I have no clue about backstage, but I feel some kind of tension watching Drake in his scenes. He comes off as not pleased, and then I wonder why the writers don't throw him a bone. It's awkward. He should go. Death would be nice, but at this rate I wouldn't put it past the writers to let him fade into the background.

I don't expect much of an actual shake-up though. The way things stand they can dump several characters without the show feeling any different, regardless of what Corday says about reshaping. The oldest group can go, as can Kate & Billie. I would argue that Shawn, Belle and Phillip can all slip off at this point without making much of an on-screen difference. Steve & Kayla, too- the Pocket thing can be wrapped up in three episodes and they can then leave town to regroup & be together or some such (one can get a job offer- they like that on this show).

But I'm not even believing that would happen. Once the feud thing is over they can dump Mascolo, Penghlis, dude who plays Rolf, awesome Anna (I can only see her as the character), Kate and Roman. They can call that the cast-trimming and move on towards their next Plan to Save Days.

What does "actor's producer" mean? That he knows how to kiss ass and keep people happy while slashing salaries and dumping people who may be popular behind the scenes? That he knows what to do to draw a good performance out of the actors (best of luck if that's the case- some of these Days people like to sleepwalk)?

Also, I'm eager to see what he can do beyond the cast issue. Maybe he'll get a couple other sets.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

SteveFrame
Aug 17 2007, 05:54 PM
DrewHamilton
Aug 16 2007, 02:40 PM
PhoenixRising05
Aug 16 2007, 01:28 AM
Jinxed Soul
Aug 16 2007, 12:12 AM
I'm not too confident about Anna or Billie being safe. They aren't significant enough, or any air enough to be kept around.

I just don't see how cutting Drake will work. Deidre would have to be cut then, too. Unless of course they killed John off ;)

The man threw half of his castmates under the bus in June with his comments. It would improve the atmosphere and the budget to get rid of him. Killing him off would be sufficient.

Anna is recurring and will stay that way. Hogan invested too much in them. I just think Pinson took a pay cut and that they would've got rid of her before signing her. They knew the cast was bloated and still signed her. Matt Ashford was a different case. They tried to change Missy's mind and failed. They thought re-signing Matt would do it and it didn't.

I noticed they said "trim the cast" in the article. They didn't say "cut." To me, that means tweaking so maybe this won't be as bad as we all think.

How do you know that the atomosphere needs cleared? I don't see any resentment on anyone's faces while they're doing the scenes. If they do have resentment, then they're professionals and don't let it show. I just don't get where you're coming from with this.

Thanks again Drew. I would love to know the answer to that too. I mean I keep hearing it from Phoenix and just assumed that my months away from message boards that I missed something. I have been following the magazines and not once have I read a blip about the atmosphere behind Days being bad. I jsut assumed some little bird let the news out through a leak or something and I missed. I am glad to know that evidently I wasn't the only one who missed it.

From the 6/22/07 SOW:

How is it being back after playing comatose since December?

Well, I'm looking forward to resurrecting the character of John Black. Obviously, that's going to be left solely up to the head writer. I'm curious to see what he has in store.

Did you know the length of this story before it began?

I wasn't aware of how long the coma was going to last. It was indicted to me by the one of the producers back in November that they were excited about this storyline and this was what was planned; "You're going to be shot. We don't know if it's going to be in the head or the stomach, but there will be oxygen deprivation of some type and its going to lead to a coma. We'll do dream escape sequences, and you'll be in a coma. for about two months." Stories change, as you know, and sometimes other stories take precedence. Evidently that is what happened. The storyline was stretched out to five months of inactivity.

What's it been like waking up and returning to the forefront?

Coming back, I saw the difference in attitude here, I didn't feel an intensity. But we're turning the corner now, I can see it. I can't feel the intensity on the set changing. The stakes have been upped. It takes time. Shows go in cycles.

Have there been any fun moments working again with Joseph Mascolo or Thaoo Penghlis?

I'm not in the business of fun right now. I'm not here to fart around. I'm not here to laugh and scratch and do this and that. I'll leave that to someone else. I'm here to bring the show back up to where it belongs. I'm not used to being with a show that's spiraling out of control. My job is come out with a sense urgency and professionalism. That's all I bring to the table.

On a happier note, the brunt of that ordeal is behind you and you're back to doing real work at Days. Can you give us any clue as to what's coming up?

Deidre was saying something about love on the beach. So I'm looking forward to that, and I'm sure the fans will be too. Hopefully, there will be an emotional payoff there. There has to be some kind of consummation of not being together for such a long period of time, so that it hasn't just been the black-hole come for five months. This goes way back. It's been over a year's time now with he debacle of the story that was Alex North and Roman/Kate/John/Alex/Marlena thing. the waters got so muddy during that period of time. I can look back and say that maybe this black hole coma was a good thing, just to let the waters settle and then start fresh. I'm back refreshed. I feel great. My sleeves are rolled up. Now I just want to see this show get back where it should be.

And from the 5/29/07 SOD:

Drake Hogestyn (John) has a very important message for all the disgruntled fans out there. The good old Days (of our Lived) are on their way back. “I’ve been doing a lot of public appearances, and I’ve been very frustrated with the fan’s frustrations,” admits Hogestyn. “They are so anxious to get back to the show that they’ve knows and loved for years. I’ve been encouraging them that we’re on the right track.”

Indeed. Since his character woke from his coma last month, Hogestyn has been working his way back into the thick of the action and says the best is yet to come – namely the long-awaited cause of the Brady/DiMera feud.

“I’m ecstatic about it. We never got to finish that storyline,” noted Hogestyn, referring to the show’s initial attempt to tackle it under the head-writing team of Paul Cwikly and Peter Brash in 2003, only to have it abruptly dropped when James E. Reilly returned to the helm. “I felt cheated in a certain respect.”

With DiMera icon Joseph Mascolo back as Stefano, Hogestyn has great expectations. “I love working with Joe,” he praises. “We have a great chemistry and relationship off the show. I couldn’t be happier to see the man back. He demands respect and fills the screen. I’m looking for great things to happen. If the story is there, you have the players that can just tear the roof off this place. I can’t say enough about the talent.”

But Days hasn’t been taking advantage of some of that talent in recent months, choosing to focus on younger cast members. “They brought minor leaguers up to fill major league roles and found themselves in last place,” sums up Hogestyn of Days’ alarming ratings drop.

Now that Hogestyn and company are gearing up for a huge story, he plans to give it his all. “I’m not used to being with a show that’s spiraling out of control,” admits Hogestyn. “My job is to come out with a sense of urgency and professionalism. That’s all I can bring to the table. I’m here to bring the show back up to where it belongs.”

I'm sorry but calling any cast member "a minor leaguer" is offensive. He also took digs at others by acting as if he is the only one that doesn't want to fart around and so on.

It's very hard to defend Drake when it's all in print and others agree with me. If I were in charge, I would fire his egotistical ass on the spot. He acted in this interview like he was the savior of the show. He's not. The fanbase will get mad but let's also remember how Days did not decrease and even went up last summer in J&M's absence. If they still kept Marlena, that would be another plus and I am sure they would keep one of daytime's greatest divas. Corday isn't that stupid.

Comments like this are sure to have caused tension, on top of the fact that Drake had his "Last Mission" event which was merely nothing more the a stunt to bring attention to his playing hardball with the show. As PX noted, just watch Drake's scenes. He isn't into them at all. He isn't give any effort now. That kind of person is not needed on the show, regardless of fanbase or years at the show. Anyone that says things like that about his castmates is not a team player. Drake had story after story for 21 years while Dee, Peter, Kristian, and other vets went through dry periods and backburner periods many times and never once complained. This past year was the first time he had ever been through it (and he was on a fair amount from August-December) and he whines like a 6 year old. Sorry. He may be a vet but someone needs to have class for me to respect them and he has showed he either lost it or doesn't possess it. He needs to look at Peter, Kristian, Dee, etc...all of which never pulled shit like this. NEVER. Peter and Kristian both talked to SOD in April and weren't the least bit bitter at all nor did they pull anything close to the shit Drake did. They were very diplomatic and respectful.

Take a look at Matt Ashford. How many times did they screw him over? He was a bit critical of JER after he was fired but he never pulled anything like Drake did. CLASS. RESPECT. That is what this is about. Drake proved he has none. It's all there in black and white. Feel free to disagree but that is what I was alluding to in my post. My respect for Drake is gone and cutting him would benefit the budget and behind the scenes in my view.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

PR, I understand that he said stuff about the show you love and the actors on it (which I still don't see all that bad). You are doing what you accuse so many of us of doing - blowing something completely out of proportion.

So what he called people minor leaguers. Compared to Drake and Deidre people like Blake Berris, Brandon Beemer and Rachel Melvin and even Madison & Johnson to a certain extent are minor leaguers and they are who the show was turned over too. Sure it was to Sami and EJ and Stve & Kayla somewhat too, but he could have only been referring to the other 5 who got the majority of the air time for the first few months. All of them have very little time in daytime compared to others and it was apparent they couldn't hold viewers attention. So I don't see the big deal around that.

And as to your other comment you are accusing him of:

"I'm not in the business of fun right now. I'm not here to fart around. I'm not here to laugh and scratch and do this and that. I'll leave that to someone else."

No where does he say taht other people are doing that. He tells the reporter what he is there to do at this time. His saying that I'll leave that to someone else is not saying that other castmates are doing it, - just that it is not what he can do right now.

And sorry you can assume that these comments cause tension on the set but once again by you saying it a few hundreds times in posts doesn't make it so. Once again you are doing what you are accusing others of doing. Blowing this damn thing way out of proportion. So what if Drake wasn't happy with what was going on at Days. Neither was I. Neither was 800,000 people who tuned out.

I still don't see anything that he said that is that bad. The only thing he did was speak out about Days and I guess that is a no no. And you still haven't proven that there is tension on the set.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Well hell let's just fire Erika Slezak, Tony Geary, Jackie Zeman, Helen Wagner, Leslie Charleson, and Eileen Fulton too :lol:

Drake certainly isn't the only actor to speak out about their shows horrible status. He didn't say anything false IMO

And compared to the likes of Mascolo, Hall, Reckell, Alfonso etc, the teens are minor league.

Drake has never been anything but professional for 20+ years and makes one true comment about the show and suddenly it's a witch hunt. IMHO he's earned the right to speak out.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Thanks for reposting the Drake article, PR.

I totally missed Drake talking about how he's not there to fart around the first time. LOL he's just there to smell the farts.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I guess I hadn't read that interview thoroughly when someone first posted it. I find it interesting that Drake used the term "minor leaguers. Isn't it true that Drake was once a professional baseball player or something? That face alone casts the comment in another light.
Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

JERSoapsFan
Aug 18 2007, 01:55 AM
I guess I hadn't read that interview thoroughly when someone first posted it. I find it interesting that Drake used the term "minor leaguers. Isn't it true that Drake was once a professional baseball player or something? That face alone casts the comment in another light.

Yes he was a baseball player. As you pointed out it is just another thing to consider. That term is a normal term for him to say.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I think Drake's comments can be interpreted in different ways, and that's the real problem. Whether or not "minor leaguers" is something he'd casually say, it is dismissive of either the characters or the actors who play them, depending on how you interpret it. And I can imagine this might cause tension. Not proven, but possible.

I'm also rereading it in light of Rachel Melvin's remark that someone on her first day wasn't so nice but Pinson took her under her wing.

I think...the reason the "minor leaguer" response comes off to me as a nasty swipe at costars, and the reason the interview irks me so much, is the conflict between how serious he sounds and what I've seen him do since I've watched the show. I mean, of all people to hold themselves up as a kind of savior bringing urgency and discipline- the man is famous for raising an eyebrow and squinting. Although I'll grant that none of the younger stars have major league skills with their eyebrows, or any other signature moves, it's not as though he's demonstrated a deep acting talent, imho.

The other thing that bugs me, and that I can imagine would bug others who are directly involved, is the comment about intensity. That's directly dismissive of the efforts people made over the months that The Eyebrow was in a coma, giving the reader the impression that they were all just kind of screwing around. And, again, there's this weirdness about The Eyebrow talking like he's going to whip them into shape.

I go back to that Rachel Melvin interview with that comment, too, because I think she's very serious about what she does, and while she can't carry the show I don't get the impression that she's just screwing around on set. Same with the other younger actors. They may not all be good, and very few of them connect with the audience that well, but they seem to make a solid effort. As I'm sure the other people behind-the-scenes do, with the possible exception of the writers who are crapping this stuff out.

Also, it's interesting this idea that there he perceived a different attitude and alleged lack of intensity when he wasn't around, but when it was seeming like he was coming back it got all "intense" again. Suggests to me that maybe people were more relaxed about things- though not necessarily less intense- when he wasn't there.

And the arrogance that flows through the article- coming from someone else I wouldn't necessarily mind. But if that's how he comes off in print, I can only imagine how it is with him in person. He doesn't come across as the type who would lead to a relaxed atmosphere on set, imho.

I could rant about this guy for hours, but my point is that while the article doesn't prove backstage tension, I totally see where it could lead to some disagreement and tension.

Also, I don't so much care if he's right in a factual sense with his comments (he's about half-right, I'd say). I just come from the school of thought that says if you're going to start talking in interviews all "honest" and stuff you'd best have the skills to back it up. This man does not. Though I wonder how well he'd do with a real, final death scene...they should give him one so he can be all urgent and professional and major league with it (frickin...without Eileen Davidson & Reilly's 90's I think he would've faded away a long time ago).

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Px You might be right but to prove everything that you and Phoenix said, you have to read a lot of stuff into the interview. Sure he might come off with a bad attitude, but none of the stuff that you are reading into the article can be proven. You are reading between the lines and adding another article to it.

I am taking Drake and giving him the benefit of the doubt after 20 plus years of Interviews where he has never come off as arrogant and had only nice things to say about the show. You can't prove to me not once that Drake is the one who was mean to Rachel Melvin. Every other younger star who has worked with him has never had anything but good things to say about Drake. Christie Clark loved him and talked about how the 2 joked on set all the time. So once again I am basing my opinions of this man on 20 years where he has done nothing but fight for this show. And that is what I take him doing here. I can still see that he loves Days. If he didn't I don't think he could be so foreceful about it as he is in the article.

What amazes me most is that Drake has been faithful to this show for 20 years and done nothing but promote and people are ready to throw him under the bus in favor of defending people like Hogan Sheffer who haven't proven themselves with the media at all. Every time someone points out that Hogan might have lied or isn't living up to what he said, it is constantly pointed out - HOw can you prove that HOgan lied? Do we know if this is him or is this Corday?

But yet Drake is not supposed to be given the benefit of the doubt.

It is another one of those things just like all the people were ready to throw Mary Beth under the bus with Drake when they thought that she wished she had stayed with ATWT.

Sorry but this is a sore subject with me. Drake has proven himself to me over 20 years and that is something I can bank on. Teh rest of them haven't.

Rachel Melvin hasn't. How do I know that someone wasn't having a bad day that day. Or that she misread someone? Why isn't she being blamed for saying that in print. I mean she said something bad about the show. She threw a co-worker under the bus by outing them in this way. Why that bitch. She should be kicked off the show now. How dare she go in print and say that someone on the set of the high and mighty Days of Our Lives wasn't nice to her.

Oh man.

Sorry but it is so crazy. Drake if you are out there reading this know at least one fan understands what you said and is thankful that even though you can't act that well, you did give the show faithful service for 20 plus years both onscreen and offscreen. And because of that I will give anything you said the benefit of the doubt.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Thank you Px for that well thought out post.

No, I don't have a link to a specific incident or concrete proof but those comments are enough for me. I think people are forgetting that those comments were also a knock at SN, MBE, LK, JT, JS, BD, and AS. They are all vets and Drake's comments applies to them because they were on alot during that period as well. So, how do you excuse that? It's one thing to imply his saying that about young cast members but those cast members aren't that young. Also, Madison has been on the show for 4 years and has proven to be one of daytime's best young actresses.

There are many who had major problems with his comments and, Steve, if you were around at the time you would've seen that. You can defend Drake. That is your right, However, I am calling it like I see it and could care less if you buy it or not. I am not just going to give him a free pass based on 20 years of loyalty. That would be like giving someone a free pass on the job if they started shooting their mouth off and treating co-workers like that. It's not right. I have seen Drake's acting and attitude since his return and it's been appalling. It's my opinion. It's not blowing anything out of proportion. I am making comments that agree with many of the comments made when these interviews came out.

I am well aware Drake was a fave for years with cast mates and fans. However, things change and things have never been the same since that Jate chat. Drake didn't do any press after that and his acting really started going downhill after that. Then, all of this. People change and he very well has. In this week's SOD, Corday makes mention of the fact that there has been "tension on set." He seemed to atttribute that in large part to Zucker's statement but who knows if there is more there. Alot of what I posted was speculation but it's the same as many others did two months ago. The topic was mentioned here so I reiterated my comments.

I am just agreeing to disagree. Thanks PX for looking at both sides of the issue and also focusing on the comments themselves. :)

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Eh, it's all a matter of interpretation, and we're all speculating but that's where the fun is. ICAM with the idea of people changing, especially if they were once a star and are seeing their role diminished, especially if diminished means a coma.

Even setting aside the actor stuff, I don't see a point to the character anymore. I'm not quite sure who all he's related to at this point, and his main links to the show are Belle and Marlena, both of whom can stand on their own (or in Belle's case be written off with ease). The only thing I think he's good for is as a major casualty in a storyline, and even that's diminished because they didn't finish the job when he was shot.

And I think they'd have to get rid of at least one of the core four in order to change the feel of the show the way Corday seems to want. John's the best option, imho.

In the interest of honesty, though, I've never liked John. He's always been a bit of a tool, I've never bought that he's in love with or even cares much for Marlena, and for me there was no chemistry with Kate or Gina/Hope, either. The character and actor fit perfectly as one of Reilly's oblivious men wandering about while women debate how they're going to define his future. That era's gone, so he should be too, imho.

Lucas is, for me, the new John. Kind of a tool, not a character that can really carry a story independently, played by an actor that's not all that good but somehow used in a leading man capacity. If they don't get rid of John, they should ditch Lucas to eliminate the redundancy.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

PR, I am trying to the best of my ability to not be condescending to you and discuss this matter, but you are making it hard when you constantly are condescending to me.

I am just going to address directly some of things you said here about this issue that I have a problem with and leave the condescending remarks alone.

Quote:

There are many who had major problems with his comments and, Steve, if you were around at the time you would've seen that.

Okay jsut becaue many on the Internet or whereever have a problem with statements taht are made then it is okay to go along with them.

Okay I take it then it is okay to go along with the uproar over the Penthouse, and the uproar over the comforter, with the fan uproar over Ashford's firing, etc. because there was a huge bunch of fans who had major problems with it. Each one of those incidents you got so mad about or said like in the Ashford firing that it was bad but it was something that needed to be done. There were many fans who had a problem with those things, but each time you sided with Days. It boils down to here Days was made to look bad and you just can't take that. It is the same as you getting mad at posters for saying negative comments about Days and go off and say places "are filled with negativity and hypocrisy" for doing so. Yes I know about that.

And what about the huge majority of people who jumped to conclusions and said Mary Beth Evans was a bitch and she should just go back to ATWT. Well taht was a majority. There were many people that believed that to be true. Just because they believed it or had a problem with it - didn't make it so.

I still look at a lot of this with Drake too as fan base thing. Sure some had a problem just at him speaking out, but the majority of it is the same old thing. Drake said or implied something bad about their favorite. And that is a no no esp. with Days fans. Drake did not call names and people are making assumptions based on the fact that he might have said so and so were minor leaguers.

Quote:

I am not just going to give him a free pass based on 20 years of loyalty.

But yet you will give Hogan Sheffer a man who it seems has told several lies to the press the benefit of the doubt each time. Don't tell me that we don't know that Sheffer lied. Do you honestly know that he didn't? No you don't. You ahve no way of knowing unless you are Sheffer himself. Hogan Sheffer has only been at Days for almost 1 year. Drake has been there for over 20. If I am going to give anyone the benefit of the doubt it is going to be Drake.

To me it still boils down to Drake said something negative about Days and you can't stand that. Sorry but I am tired of being nice and just calling it as I see it. I sat back and let things like this run me off at one time, but I won't do it again. I will be nice and I will not bash anyone, but I am not lay back and be a limp puppy dog either.

I love Days but I am not going to praise it to high heaven for everything it does. I will praise it when it deserves it and I will condemn it when it deserves it too. And I won't feel bad about it and I won't let anyone else make me feel bad about it either. And no one will ever tell me to quit watching it again if I can't find something positive to say.

Drake said what so many of us were saying and that is the big problem. He spoke the truth.

I appreciate everyone's view point on it esp. Px's too. I dont' agree with all of it.

I will still side on the side of caution with Drake because of his past with the press and the show.

As to your last comment about the minor leaguers thing. Still the problem I have there is that you are still reading things into it. That is my only problem with Px's comments. In order to make your point you have to read between the lines and put things in that he did not say.

Again I point out that he comes from a baseball past. Minor leaguer is a comment that is very familiar with him. And anyone who doesn't have a lot of experience is considered minor leaguers or even rookies which could have been another term he could have used. Minor leaguer is no a derogatory term, but it is a fair one based on a person's experience. Even Martha Madison who you brought up is still a minor leaguer in expereince when compared to people like Reckell, Alfonso, Hall, Reynolds, etc. They just don't have the experience yet. Madison is getting there and she is a great actress, but she is not even in Sweeney's ball park yet. And I do not believe that Madison even as good as she is could carry Days on her own.

Once again I point out:

Quote:

I think people are forgetting that those comments were also a knock at SN, MBE, LK, JT, JS, BD, and AS.

You have to assume that he meant them. Did he say their names? Did he call them out? No he didn't. He mentioned no names, and I won't accuse a man of something until I hear him say it directly.

All I am asking Phoenix is that you do the same thing that you preach to every fan base when they get mad about something. Don't blow it out of proportion. You constantly said to the Jarlena fan base when they got upset about the comforter thing. Maybe the show didn't mean to do it or it was just an accident.

You don't know with any certainty what Drake meant. None of us do. We can only assume. I think it is pretty bad that a man can be found guilty of something and already sent to the gas chamber when the things he is accused of are only assumptions of what he meant.

I'm sorry Phoenix if this comes off as harsh in anyway. I have tried to be nice. I come to message boards to discuss the shows I love, and one of those shows is Days. And I am tired of being made to feel bad for the way I feel about the show and trying to be made to feel guilty for it. Well it's not going to happen anymore. I am going to say how I feel whether good or bad and let it lie.

You can call me negative and you can call me a hypocrite if you want too and you can even post it on another board. I don't care anymore.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

px780
Aug 18 2007, 01:12 PM
Eh, it's all a matter of interpretation, and we're all speculating but that's where the fun is. ICAM with the idea of people changing, especially if they were once a star and are seeing their role diminished, especially if diminished means a coma.

Even setting aside the actor stuff, I don't see a point to the character anymore. I'm not quite sure who all he's related to at this point, and his main links to the show are Belle and Marlena, both of whom can stand on their own (or in Belle's case be written off with ease). The only thing I think he's good for is as a major casualty in a storyline, and even that's diminished because they didn't finish the job when he was shot.

And I think they'd have to get rid of at least one of the core four in order to change the feel of the show the way Corday seems to want. John's the best option, imho.

In the interest of honesty, though, I've never liked John. He's always been a bit of a tool, I've never bought that he's in love with or even cares much for Marlena, and for me there was no chemistry with Kate or Gina/Hope, either. The character and actor fit perfectly as one of Reilly's oblivious men wandering about while women debate how they're going to define his future. That era's gone, so he should be too, imho.

Lucas is, for me, the new John. Kind of a tool, not a character that can really carry a story independently, played by an actor that's not all that good but somehow used in a leading man capacity. If they don't get rid of John, they should ditch Lucas to eliminate the redundancy.

Px, I have no problem with that interpretation of John. I feel in many ways he has served his purpose too, but if he goes I want Marlena to go with him. I do not want to see Marlena with a newcomer and right now there is no man on the show in her age group that fits for her. The last thing we need is another newcomer or a new face. And I don't want to see Marlena to just fade off into the woodwork like Maggie. Why pay her those big bucks to just do that. It is just stupid IMO.

I have no problem with interpretations of characters or even interpretations of an actor's performance. And I have no problem with calling someone out on something that they definitely said but here the things he is being accused of he didn't actually say. Taht is my problem here.

He was tried and convicted without any evidence.

I still wish more of these stars would speak out. It took Erika Slezak who was banded a bitch by many to finally speak out to get rid of Dena Higley. maybe if Drake had spoken out before we might have gotten rid of JER quicker. Of course then he would have been praised for it. That is one thing I have learned it depends a lot on who the person is talking about whether they are a bitch or a bastard.

So I have no problem with your interpretation of John because I agree with you on it. Writers have just messed with his history so much that it hurts his position in town.

Deleted User
Deleted User

SteveFrame
Aug 18 2007, 01:19 PM
Px, I have no problem with that interpretation of John. I feel in many ways he has served his purpose too, but if he goes I want Marlena to go with him. I do not want to see Marlena with a newcomer and right now there is no man on the show in her age group that fits for her. The last thing we need is another newcomer or a new face. And I don't want to see Marlena to just fade off into the woodwork like Maggie. Why pay her those big bucks to just do that. It is just stupid IMO.

Steve, just out of curiosity if JOhn were to go and Marlena stayed would you like it if she would be paired with someone on the canvas or an old fav like Don Craig. Basically if she wasn't paired with a newbie but someone the fans know would you feel differently?
Quote Post Goto Top

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

SteveFrame
Aug 18 2007, 10:11 AM
What amazes me most is that Drake has been faithful to this show for 20 years and done nothing but promote and people are ready to throw him under the bus in favor of defending people like Hogan Sheffer who haven't proven themselves with the media at all. Every time someone points out that Hogan might have lied or isn't living up to what he said, it is constantly pointed out - How can you prove that HOgan lied? Do we know if this is him or is this Corday?

But yet Drake is not supposed to be given the benefit of the doubt.

Amen!

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Amello
Aug 18 2007, 02:37 PM
SteveFrame

Steve, just out of curiosity if JOhn were to go and Marlena stayed would you like it if she would be paired with someone on the canvas or an old fav like Don Craig. Basically if she wasn't paired with a newbie but someone the fans know would you feel differently?

That would be a tricky situation, one in which the show put itself in. When Jed Allen left, they had Don go out to mail a letter, and he was never seen and mentioned again. Should he reappear on the show, how are they going to explain why Marlena, Maggie, and others never mentioned or thought about him over the years? To this day, I don't get why he had such a craptastic send-off.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Y&RWorldTurner
Aug 18 2007, 02:54 PM
Amello
SteveFrame

That would be a tricky situation, one in which the show put itself in. When Jed Allen left, they had Don go out to mail a letter, and he was never seen and mentioned again. Should he reappear on the show, how are they going to explain why Marlena, Maggie, and others never mentioned or thought about him over the years? To this day, I don't get why he had such a craptastic send-off.

Oh I know all about that. I was just thinking along the libnes of a hypothetical answer. Not taking any issues like budget or what have you into account
Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Amello
SteveFrame

Oh I could deal with her getting back with Roman even with Josh Taylor in the role, but I don't see that ever going over with fans at all. So I wouldn't want to see it happen.

And it is way too early to bring Wayne Northrop back since he was just Alex North. I couldn't deal with that too soon.

OH I would love to see her back with Don but I don't see that happening either. Not just with what Alvin said, but another reason is it would take Marlena further out of the loop.

For Marlena to really work and stay around she needs to be tied to someone on the show. Not another outsider. Too bad they hae not kept Bill Horton around all these years. It would have been nice to have married Marlena into the Horton family.

I know that Marlena has ties to her children and that is enough to keep her around, but for her to have a romance they would either have to keep Taylor as Roman and tie them, or put her with Abe (which I don't see - maybe him and Maggie but not Abe & Marlena).

Of the ones on canvas I could possibly see Marlena with Tony, but I just don't want to see them bringing in another new face right now. And as much as I love Don Craig even he would be a new face to so many since he has been gone so long.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

You know... it's annoying to think that Marlena can't just have her own story independently of a secret Alex North twin or Roman or Don Craig or Bill Horton.

It's this same stupidity that's prevented Maggie from having any sort of storyline since Mickey vanished. Damn this show and it's supercouple crap.

If Drake does need to go then I would LOVE him to die in a mega-dramatic death and then have a really huge funeral and a really juicy story for Marlena coping with the grief of the loss of John ON HER OWN not even entertaining the idea of a relationship for at least a year or two (if Days is even around beyond then). Roman could TRY to put the moves on her, but Marlena would insist that her heart will always belong to John and that part of her life is over as she instead focuses on her family and career and assumes her role as the matriarch of Days. I would love to see her throw her life into her work and get back to being Dr. Marlena Evans the psychiatrist. Lord knows there are enough crazy people in Salem and the characters are written bipolar enough that there's certainly a market for her services. One obvious story would allow both she and Steve/Kayla to heal about what they did with the John kidney theft by her helping unlock the secrets of his past as a DiMera assassin. Maybe him getting his memory back could uncover other secrets about other characters like whatever happened with EJ's childhood that Stefano wound up raising him and what the hell happened to Susan Banks. Who the hell knows? Just show some fucking imagination DOOL writers and make something besides a triangle happen.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

SteveFrame
Aug 18 2007, 02:12 PM
PR, I am trying to the best of my ability to not be condescending to you and discuss this matter, but you are making it hard when you constantly are condescending to me.

I am just going to address directly some of things you said here about this issue that I have a problem with and leave the condescending remarks alone.

Quote:

There are many who had major problems with his comments and, Steve, if you were around at the time you would've seen that.

Okay jsut becaue many on the Internet or whereever have a problem with statements taht are made then it is okay to go along with them.

Okay I take it then it is okay to go along with the uproar over the Penthouse, and the uproar over the comforter, with the fan uproar over Ashford's firing, etc. because there was a huge bunch of fans who had major problems with it. Each one of those incidents you got so mad about or said like in the Ashford firing that it was bad but it was something that needed to be done. There were many fans who had a problem with those things, but each time you sided with Days. It boils down to here Days was made to look bad and you just can't take that. It is the same as you getting mad at posters for saying negative comments about Days and go off and say places "are filled with negativity and hypocrisy" for doing so. Yes I know about that.

And what about the huge majority of people who jumped to conclusions and said Mary Beth Evans was a bitch and she should just go back to ATWT. Well taht was a majority. There were many people that believed that to be true. Just because they believed it or had a problem with it - didn't make it so.

I still look at a lot of this with Drake too as fan base thing. Sure some had a problem just at him speaking out, but the majority of it is the same old thing. Drake said or implied something bad about their favorite. And that is a no no esp. with Days fans. Drake did not call names and people are making assumptions based on the fact that he might have said so and so were minor leaguers.

Quote:

I am not just going to give him a free pass based on 20 years of loyalty.

But yet you will give Hogan Sheffer a man who it seems has told several lies to the press the benefit of the doubt each time. Don't tell me that we don't know that Sheffer lied. Do you honestly know that he didn't? No you don't. You ahve no way of knowing unless you are Sheffer himself. Hogan Sheffer has only been at Days for almost 1 year. Drake has been there for over 20. If I am going to give anyone the benefit of the doubt it is going to be Drake.

To me it still boils down to Drake said something negative about Days and you can't stand that. Sorry but I am tired of being nice and just calling it as I see it. I sat back and let things like this run me off at one time, but I won't do it again. I will be nice and I will not bash anyone, but I am not lay back and be a limp puppy dog either.

I love Days but I am not going to praise it to high heaven for everything it does. I will praise it when it deserves it and I will condemn it when it deserves it too. And I won't feel bad about it and I won't let anyone else make me feel bad about it either. And no one will ever tell me to quit watching it again if I can't find something positive to say.

Drake said what so many of us were saying and that is the big problem. He spoke the truth.

I appreciate everyone's view point on it esp. Px's too. I dont' agree with all of it.

I will still side on the side of caution with Drake because of his past with the press and the show.

As to your last comment about the minor leaguers thing. Still the problem I have there is that you are still reading things into it. That is my only problem with Px's comments. In order to make your point you have to read between the lines and put things in that he did not say.

Again I point out that he comes from a baseball past. Minor leaguer is a comment that is very familiar with him. And anyone who doesn't have a lot of experience is considered minor leaguers or even rookies which could have been another term he could have used. Minor leaguer is no a derogatory term, but it is a fair one based on a person's experience. Even Martha Madison who you brought up is still a minor leaguer in expereince when compared to people like Reckell, Alfonso, Hall, Reynolds, etc. They just don't have the experience yet. Madison is getting there and she is a great actress, but she is not even in Sweeney's ball park yet. And I do not believe that Madison even as good as she is could carry Days on her own.

Once again I point out:

Quote:

I think people are forgetting that those comments were also a knock at SN, MBE, LK, JT, JS, BD, and AS.

You have to assume that he meant them. Did he say their names? Did he call them out? No he didn't. He mentioned no names, and I won't accuse a man of something until I hear him say it directly.

All I am asking Phoenix is that you do the same thing that you preach to every fan base when they get mad about something. Don't blow it out of proportion. You constantly said to the Jarlena fan base when they got upset about the comforter thing. Maybe the show didn't mean to do it or it was just an accident.

You don't know with any certainty what Drake meant. None of us do. We can only assume. I think it is pretty bad that a man can be found guilty of something and already sent to the gas chamber when the things he is accused of are only assumptions of what he meant.

I'm sorry Phoenix if this comes off as harsh in anyway. I have tried to be nice. I come to message boards to discuss the shows I love, and one of those shows is Days. And I am tired of being made to feel bad for the way I feel about the show and trying to be made to feel guilty for it. Well it's not going to happen anymore. I am going to say how I feel whether good or bad and let it lie.

You can call me negative and you can call me a hypocrite if you want too and you can even post it on another board. I don't care anymore.

SteveFrame = LOVE! :D

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply