Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days: Exec Changes & Cast Cuts; and National Enquirer spoilers
Topic Started: Aug 15 2007, 12:14 PM (2,435 Views)
Steve Frame
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Aug 18 2007, 05:38 PM
You know... it's annoying to think that Marlena can't just have her own story independently of a secret Alex North twin or Roman or Don Craig or Bill Horton.

It's this same stupidity that's prevented Maggie from having any sort of storyline since Mickey vanished. Damn this show and it's supercouple crap.

If Drake does need to go then I would LOVE him to die in a mega-dramatic death and then have a really huge funeral and a really juicy story for Marlena coping with the grief of the loss of John ON HER OWN not even entertaining the idea of a relationship for at least a year or two (if Days is even around beyond then). Roman could TRY to put the moves on her, but Marlena would insist that her heart will always belong to John and that part of her life is over as she instead focuses on her family and career and assumes her role as the matriarch of Days. I would love to see her throw her life into her work and get back to being Dr. Marlena Evans the psychiatrist. Lord knows there are enough crazy people in Salem and the characters are written bipolar enough that there's certainly a market for her services. One obvious story would allow both she and Steve/Kayla to heal about what they did with the John kidney theft by her helping unlock the secrets of his past as a DiMera assassin. Maybe him getting his memory back could uncover other secrets about other characters like whatever happened with EJ's childhood that Stefano wound up raising him and what the hell happened to Susan Banks. Who the hell knows? Just show some fucking imagination DOOL writers and make something besides a triangle happen.

Aremid,

I totally agree with you and ashamed that I have fallen into the same frame of mind to think that a woman can't have a story outside of a man, but with the way things are in daytime it is just not going to happen anymore and it is easy to fall into that frame of mind.

It is not just a problem with Days - even though the supercouple phenomonon is stronger there.

Daytime as a whole don't want to write for independant women. Look at Victoria Lord on OLTL, either she has a health crisis like with her heart that gives her a little story. But here you have a woman who was President of a University and Owner of The Banner. Has that given her story? No. Even with bringing an ex-husband back to town didn't help her either though.

Look at Lisa Hughes, Barbara Ryan and Kim Hughes on ATWT. All 3 are successful businesswomen. Lisa owns several businesses. Barbara is a world known fashion designer. Kim owns the TV station. You would think those things alone would spark story. Luckily Lucinda owned worldwide and there was a spark to make Craig want it or she would still be languishing around town doing nothing.

It is a shame that daytime has some very intelligent women characters but you wouldn't know it, because none of them can have stories based on that or airtime based on it.

I loved with Days used the businesses as backdrops for stories more. It was nice seeing Kate doing a little more than just interfering in her children's lives. I have always wanted to see a true All About Eve type story for Kate where she befriends a young girl at Basic Black and molds her into a miniture her and they develop a friendship but the girl is only using her to advance. Set that up and then have that young girl go after either Kate's man or one of her sons. We would be invested in the character by that time and then the rivalry could really be great. That was a little bit of the Nicole/Kate relationship but I don't think they ever fully looked at that as they should have and could have.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

The more I think about it, even with his baseball background, I say the comment was inappropriate. A major leaguer calling someone a minor leaguer is like someone saying, "Never send a boy to do a MAN'S job."

It's condescending either way.
Quote Post Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

I haven't ever watched OTLT or ATWT so I am not too familiar with the examples you cite but I'm sad to hear this is not just a Days phenomenon. Of the other soaps I watch now on occasion (YandR, AMC... OK I watch Passions too but it doesn't really count for this because it's just so unconventional generally) I feel like they do a decent job on those to show strong women working. I am a very new watcher to AMC but even though I don't necessarily like all the characters who work there I just love Fusion as a central workplace for so many of the younger women and I love Erica having her own show and wish DOOL had something like that going on for its women outside of their relationships. And I've always loved YandR having women in the corporate world. But no, us Days watchers only get to see women working as flight attendants and hookers.

It just seems counterintuitive that soaps would actually portray women more stronger and intelligent in the past compared to now. Granted, my perspective of "the past" is limited mostly just from 1990 until now because I am a younger soap watcher, but I just don't get what changed to make it impossible to show working women. Is it just the current HWs aren't interested in it? Lack of money for sets? All the soaps copying each other?

I love your All About Eve scenario for Kate too, btw. That would have been something fun to explore with Nicole/Kate. Too bad they never went with it.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar

JERSoapsFan
Aug 18 2007, 06:25 PM
The more I think about it, even with his baseball background, I say the comment was inappropriate. A major leaguer calling someone a minor leaguer is like someone saying, "Never send a boy to do a MAN'S job."

I agree.

The baseball background makes me interpret it as MORE of an insult rather than less of one because a baseball player knows better than anyone that the minor leagues are a training ground for newbies or a place of demotion for vets who just can't cut it in the bigs. Either way it is saying that the people that were on the show when he wasn't were not worthy of being front and center and I don't think that's fair or true when it comes to SN and MBE or JS and AS who were the stars of the show during John's coma. I personally found the comment condescending and just as I often reach certain conclusions about the things said in all soap articles/Internet posts I read and reserve the right to hate on people like Hogan Sheffer for what they say, I jumped to a conclusion after reading this one and decided I liked Drake less because of that article.

The thing is I thought Thaao Penghlis just as arrogant in his article when he talked about the "big guns" coming back, but for some reason that comment didn't bother me because it just came across to me as more him tooting his own horn than speaking ill of what other people bring to the show. The thing is I have seen him criticized for those comments (especially by Jarlena fans) similar to the way Drake has been criticized, but maybe it didn't strike a chord the way that Drake's comments did with so many fans because Drake had always been so positive in the past while TP hasn't been as much, because he's a bigger star than TP or because people are more willing to forgive TP's comments if they think him a better actor generally... who knows? Maybe the fact that I am willing to forgive TP but not Drake that makes me a hypocrite but I don't care. I always liked Tony/Thaao better than John/Drake and I probably always will.

But Steve, even though I don't agree on this particular issue, I do think you made some QUITE salient points in your rebuttal.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Oh, I hate Thaao and his comments, too. Again it's the thing where the talent on-screen doesn't match with all the bluster and ego. Or the results, for that matter, 'cause Tony & indestructible Andre sure haven't saved the show, though their presence did encourage the return of Anna, who kicks ass.

I think Marlena alone works well in theory but it might not play out well on screen. Still, I'd like to see them give it a go because it has the possibility of playing out interesting family dynamics (how would a lonely, grieving Marlena relate to her grown daughters and grandkids; how would they relate to her?).

That kind of thing could give the show the freshness it needs. I mean, since I've been watching Days is entirely about male-female couples & the ones who come between them. I can't even remember a new character being created when it wasn't necessary to create a love interest or love triangle (hi, Jett Carver!). Hopefully this new guy can help them spin the show in a slightly different direction.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Aug 18 2007, 07:00 PM
JERSoapsFan
Aug 18 2007, 06:25 PM

I agree.

The baseball background makes me interpret it as MORE of an insult rather than less of one because a baseball player knows better than anyone that the minor leagues are a training ground for newbies or a place of demotion for vets who just can't cut it in the bigs. Either way it is saying that the people that were on the show when he wasn't were not worthy of being front and center and I don't think that's fair or true when it comes to SN and MBE or JS and AS who were the stars of the show during John's coma. I personally found the comment condescending and just as I often reach certain conclusions about the things said in all soap articles/Internet posts I read and reserve the right to hate on people like Hogan Sheffer for what they say, I jumped to a conclusion after reading this one and decided I liked Drake less because of that article.

The thing is I thought Thaao Penghlis just as arrogant in his article when he talked about the "big guns" coming back, but for some reason that comment didn't bother me because it just came across to me as more him tooting his own horn than speaking ill of what other people bring to the show. The thing is I have seen him criticized for those comments (especially by Jarlena fans) similar to the way Drake has been criticized, but maybe it didn't strike a chord the way that Drake's comments did with so many fans because Drake had always been so positive in the past while TP hasn't been as much, because he's a bigger star than TP or because people are more willing to forgive TP's comments if they think him a better actor generally... who knows? Maybe the fact that I am willing to forgive TP but not Drake that makes me a hypocrite but I don't care. I always liked Tony/Thaao better than John/Drake and I probably always will.

But Steve, even though I don't agree on this particular issue, I do think you made some QUITE salient points in your rebuttal.

Aremid, I have no problem with differing opinions. I really don't. It is okay that you don't agree with me on this. I agree with some things you say and some I don't.

I still don't see the baseball comment to read everything you are saying or JSF for that matter. I don't see him as meaning "all inclusive" to include all the ones in his comment. If he said it about SN, MBE, BD or AS I would question it and possibly have a problem with it as they were front and center during that time, but looking at the others were front and center: James Scott, Blake Berris, Rachel Melvin, Darin Brooks, Brandon Beemer, and even Johnson and Madison and then all the newbies like Willow, adn those two crazy island people were all minor leaguers compared to the vets on Days. In regards to Days alone they are rookies still and in regards to what Days fans wanted and needed at the time they should have been starring minor stories building to the major stories with the exception of maybe EJ who did get a lot more involved in every damn story than he should have been.

But Drake didn't call any names so I can't say who he meant and won't condemn him until he comes and says - this is who I meant by that comment. Then if he clarified I could but not until then will I do it.

You make an excellent point about Thaao. I have wondered that too but didn't include it in any of my comments. How did he get by with his statement. he basically said that James Scott and all those were little guns and that he and Joe were the big guns and the only ones taht mattered.

I think a big part of it boils down to just what you said "popularity". And not saying that against you but the whole daytime genre as a whole. Fans are quick to condemn those they don't like esp. when it might be offensive to their favorites. Fan bases have a lot to do with it. Going back to the Jate thing that PR brought up. The reason that was such a stink is because Drake went against the Jarlena fan base for the first time in forever. He liked Jate and wanted to pursue. That was sacriligious and uncalled for to his fan base.

Thaao is seen as a salvation for fans but personally I have had a problem with him ever since he spilled the beans on the SSK story. I know that Days would have probably scooped it themselves eventually but when he revealed the info he did it ruined the suspense of the story for me. He to me always did that out of anger over being fired.

The best thing for Drake at this point is to move on. Unfortunately the Days fanbase will always hold this against him, despite the fact that he gave the show 20 years of devoted service. With Days fans unfortunately you get one chance at a mistake and that is it. At least for some of them that is the case. Not a condemnation of Days fans but it is just an observation.

Old Milton said that it was "a dangerous thing to fall into the hands of a wrathful God".

Old Stevie turns it around and says it is "a dangerous thing to fall into the hands of a wrathful Days fan."

Who knows which is worse?????????

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Aug 18 2007, 06:38 PM
I haven't ever watched OTLT or ATWT so I am not too familiar with the examples you cite but I'm sad to hear this is not just a Days phenomenon. Of the other soaps I watch now on occasion (YandR, AMC... OK I watch Passions too but it doesn't really count for this because it's just so unconventional generally) I feel like they do a decent job on those to show strong women working. I am a very new watcher to AMC but even though I don't necessarily like all the characters who work there I just love Fusion as a central workplace for so many of the younger women and I love Erica having her own show and wish DOOL had something like that going on for its women outside of their relationships. And I've always loved YandR having women in the corporate world. But no, us Days watchers only get to see women working as flight attendants and hookers.

It just seems counterintuitive that soaps would actually portray women more stronger and intelligent in the past compared to now. Granted, my perspective of "the past" is limited mostly just from 1990 until now because I am a younger soap watcher, but I just don't get what changed to make it impossible to show working women. Is it just the current HWs aren't interested in it? Lack of money for sets? All the soaps copying each other?

I love your All About Eve scenario for Kate too, btw. That would have been something fun to explore with Nicole/Kate. Too bad they never went with it.

You make excellent points about Y&R & AMC. They still do well with women in the workplace.

I am not sure how to grade Hogan on workplace stories.

He did great for Carly & Barbara. He created some great stories around the fashion industry for them. I loved the rivalry that he created between them with Craig in the middle feeding it. And loved Paul trying to get vengeance on him when he tried to get control of BRO.

But it was with Hogan that many of the women got ignored who had been strong businesswomen under other writers. Lucinda was completely ignored under him. Lisa was hardly ever shown as a businesswoman under him. And I think it was under him that The Argus (Lisa's paper) was forgotten. And Kim hardly ever had anything to do at the station. Those were key elements of ATWT before that time. They didn't completely fade from the characters but were never used. Adn poor Margo ATWT's only female cop always played second fiddle to the male cops who did the majority of the investigations on crime in Oakdale.

So part of it could be him with Days but I think it is a new general direction for Days taht I dont care for much.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Days already has the groundwork for business intrigue, yet the show continuously refuses to utilize it. There's Titan, Basic Black, Mythic, etc, yet we never see what goes on in the workplace on this show, outside of the occasional scene in the police station, of all places. This is unacceptable, I think for a seemingly one-note character, like Kate, a business oriented storyline would do wonders for her. We only see her butting into the lives of her children, but she's also part owner of Mythic, why don't we ever see her busting any balls in a business meeting or something? If Days wanted to explore more women in the workplace, the opportunity is already there, but they refuse to. Days has been quite horrible in terms of social relevance, during the past 20 years or so, that's something that needs to change.

Hopefully, Ed Scott, with his years of experience on the business-oriented Y&R, can change this.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

That is the biggest thing I am hoping for Alvin. I just hope Days has the budget to show the sets. I have wondered if that is why we don't see Basic Black anymore.

The best stories ever for Kate were in the work place for me. Now like you said she has become so one note. That is the reason I don't feel she is safe at all if big time cuts have to be made.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Do we know he didn't mean BD, AS, LK, JT, MM, MBE, and SN? No, we don't. He didn't say he didn't so I am going to take it as he meant EVERYONE that aired during that time.

I wasn't trying to be condescending. I was accused of blowing this out of proportion when I wasn't the only one commenting on the issue this way.

I don't know really know what Drake meant but he didn't come out and clarify either so that hurts him big time. As for Hogan, we all know very well that he told some lies but most of the blame lies on Corday for pulling the rug out from under him with firing RJ and making his backburner the vets. He didn't know about that. Honestly, why would a 4-time emmy winner lie in several interviews about more then 50% of the things he promised with his reputation on the line? Exactly, he has no reason to. That's not to say he hasn't lied at all but alot of what he promised happened early on until he was steamrolled. This is in contrast with Drake, who has seen his role diminished and whose acting has been dreadful since his return. He has plenty of reason to lash out. As for Matt, I was just as livid about his exit and I did blame Corday for that. I was very angry about that. The penthouse incident and the bedroom set one were just silly. Those are incidents that focus on objects, not actual people. I don't see that as even being relevant here.

Steve, I didn't mean to come off harsh and I apologize for this. You made your stance clear and I made mine. We'll see what happens.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar

SteveFrame
Aug 18 2007, 09:01 PM
That is the biggest thing I am hoping for Alvin. I just hope Days has the budget to show the sets. I have wondered if that is why we don't see Basic Black anymore.

The best stories ever for Kate were in the work place for me. Now like you said she has become so one note. That is the reason I don't feel she is safe at all if big time cuts have to be made.

Yeah. The set issue is one I wasn't sure about. But damn if they can spend all this money for a Casino and a Giant Hotel Suite for the Vegas kids to have a playground it would be nice if they could just set up a permanent corporate suite again and center something around Titan.

And I agree with you guys about loving Kate as a businesswoman. And it reminded me of something else that bothers me about how they are using Kate right now. Last fall I liked her for the first time in forever because she did seem to be meddling less and she was the ONLY working woman in Salem. Yet now I just see her as totally pathetic and wasted. I mean this is not the first time we saw Kate lose everything on this show yet when Victor ruined her after she set that fire at his mansion and she was living out of her car she didn't go back to sleeping with men for money. She got a job at a diner and was plucky about getting herself back on her feet not taking the easy way out. I really liked her then. It's a shame to see her reduced to this because I don't see them putting her sleeping with Stefano for cash as any sort of romance or intrigue, it's just more of the same misogyny I've come to know and loathe under Days penned by Hogan Sheffer.

Oh and as for Drake's comments... For the record, this particular Days fan who wasn't too fond of Drake's comments WOULD ABSOLUTELY FORGIVE HIM if I thought he was trying on the show, but his performances just fall flat for me in a way they never did before. I am someone who while I am a smartass and always rib about the smell-my-fart acting stuff I still did and do have a sentimental attachment to Drake and the character of John Black because he was at the center of so many stories I loved over the years and I was actually really excited for him coming out of the coma but have just been pretty much disappointed with him thus far so that is where some of my harsh critique comes from. Part of it I know is him not having that much to do but suck Marlena's face, but even when he's on he's just... different.

Oh and also... I wasn't aware of Thaao's comments blowing up the spot of the SSK storyline. I was on a break from Days until the SSK storyline roped me back in so I didn't read any soap mags/message boards in those days. I could see how that would be extremely annoying and sour you on him.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Aug 18 2007, 10:28 PM
Do we know he didn't mean BD, AS, LK, JT, MM, MBE, and SN? No, we don't. He didn't say he didn't so I am going to take it as he meant EVERYONE that aired during that time.

I wasn't trying to be condescending. I was accused of blowing this out of proportion when I wasn't the only one commenting on the issue this way.

I don't know really know what Drake meant but he didn't come out and clarify either so that hurts him big time. As for Hogan, we all know very well that he told some lies but most of the blame lies on Corday for pulling the rug out from under him with firing RJ and making his backburner the vets. He didn't know about that. Honestly, why would a 4-time emmy winner lie in several interviews about more then 50% of the things he promised with his reputation on the line? Exactly, he has no reason to. That's not to say he hasn't lied at all but alot of what he promised happened early on until he was steamrolled. This is in contrast with Drake, who has seen his role diminished and whose acting has been dreadful since his return. He has plenty of reason to lash out. As for Matt, I was just as livid about his exit and I did blame Corday for that. I was very angry about that. The penthouse incident and the bedroom set one were just silly. Those are incidents that focus on objects. not actual people. I don't see that as even being relevant here.

Steve, I didn't mean to come off harsh and I apologize for this. You made your stance clear and I made mine. We'll see what happens.

That's fine for you to do so. You believe what you want about Drake.

Since it is okay to read into articles what is not being said then I am perfectly within my rights to call Hogan a liar. All I have is what is actually in print in articles. And he said those things and then didn't deliver. He also said he wouldn't do the incest route and he did.

So he is a liar. That's all I have to go on is what is in the articles. I don't have to give him the benefit of the doubt at all.

So until Drake comes out and says what he meant - he's a jackass and a bastard who needs to be fired. And Hogan Sheffer is a 4 time Emmy winning LIAR.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Aug 19 2007, 12:16 AM
SteveFrame
Aug 18 2007, 09:01 PM

Yeah. The set issue is one I wasn't sure about. But damn if they can spend all this money for a Casino and a Giant Hotel Suite for the Vegas kids to have a playground it would be nice if they could just set up a permanent corporate suite again and center something around Titan.

And I agree with you guys about loving Kate as a businesswoman. And it reminded me of something else that bothers me about how they are using Kate right now. Last fall I liked her for the first time in forever because she did seem to be meddling less and she was the ONLY working woman in Salem. Yet now I just see her as totally pathetic and wasted. I mean this is not the first time we saw Kate lose everything on this show yet when Victor ruined her after she set that fire at his mansion and she was living out of her car she didn't go back to sleeping with men for money. She got a job at a diner and was plucky about getting herself back on her feet not taking the easy way out. I really liked her then. It's a shame to see her reduced to this because I don't see them putting her sleeping with Stefano for cash as any sort of romance or intrigue, it's just more of the same misogyny I've come to know and loathe under Days penned by Hogan Sheffer.

Oh and as for Drake's comments... For the record, this particular Days fan who wasn't too fond of Drake's comments WOULD ABSOLUTELY FORGIVE HIM if I thought he was trying on the show, but his performances just fall flat for me in a way they never did before. I am someone who while I am a smartass and always rib about the smell-my-fart acting stuff I still did and do have a sentimental attachment to Drake and the character of John Black because he was at the center of so many stories I loved over the years and I was actually really excited for him coming out of the coma but have just been pretty much disappointed with him thus far so that is where some of my harsh critique comes from. Part of it I know is him not having that much to do but suck Marlena's face, but even when he's on he's just... different.

Oh and also... I wasn't aware of Thaao's comments blowing up the spot of the SSK storyline. I was on a break from Days until the SSK storyline roped me back in so I didn't read any soap mags/message boards in those days. I could see how that would be extremely annoying and sour you on him.

Aremid, I just count up Drake as another of the long line of vets who quit trying with their performances because they don't feel they are wanted anymore. Eileen Fulton has basically phoned in her performances for years. As did Philip Carey on OLTL. And it is not that they don't feel they are wanted - they know they aren't wanted. Just look at how disgraceful ABC treated Carey. And look at the negative publicity ABC got over his firing - almost as much negative as they got over the firing of Anna Lee.

These soaps are keeping them around in many cases just because they are afraid of what might happen if they do fire them.

So I just count that up to that. I am not saying it is right, but I can understand why they quit trying.

And as to the Thaao thing. I try to give him the benefit of the doubt on the SSK reveal as he did give the news to a foreign magazine, but then again I feel that he had to know in this world of journalism that the story would be picked up. He broke the reveal of the SSK killer as Marlena long before it was supposed to be revealed. I want to be fair to the guy and say he didn't know what he was doing, but several times it was said that they all had signed confidentiality agreements on it. I think even Frances Reid said that Ken Corday talked to her and told her and she didn't reveal it. None of the other ones who were fired revealed it. But Thaao did.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

SteveFrame
Aug 19 2007, 12:38 AM
PhoenixRising05
Aug 18 2007, 10:28 PM
Do we know he didn't mean BD, AS, LK, JT, MM, MBE, and SN? No, we don't.  He didn't say he didn't so I am going to take it  as he meant EVERYONE that aired during that time.

I wasn't trying to be condescending.  I was accused of blowing this out of proportion when I wasn't the only one commenting on the issue this way. 

I don't know really know what Drake meant but he didn't come out and clarify either so that hurts him big time.  As for Hogan, we all know very well that he told some lies but most of the blame lies on Corday for pulling the rug out from under him with firing RJ and making his backburner the vets.  He didn't know about that.  Honestly, why would a 4-time emmy winner lie in several interviews about more then 50% of the things he promised with his reputation on the line? Exactly, he has no reason to.  That's not to say he hasn't lied at all but alot of what he promised happened early on until he was steamrolled.  This is in contrast with Drake, who has seen his role diminished and whose acting has been dreadful since his return.  He has plenty of reason to lash out.  As for Matt, I was just as livid about his exit and I did blame Corday for that.  I was very angry about that.  The penthouse incident and the bedroom set one were just silly.  Those are incidents that focus on objects. not actual people.  I don't see that as even being relevant here.

Steve, I didn't mean to come off harsh and I apologize for this.  You made your stance clear and I made mine.  We'll see what happens.

That's fine for you to do so. You believe what you want about Drake.

Since it is okay to read into articles what is not being said then I am perfectly within my rights to call Hogan a liar. All I have is what is actually in print in articles. And he said those things and then didn't deliver. He also said he wouldn't do the incest route and he did.

So he is a liar. That's all I have to go on is what is in the articles. I don't have to give him the benefit of the doubt at all.

So until Drake comes out and says what he meant - he's a jackass and a bastard who needs to be fired. And Hogan Sheffer is a 4 time Emmy winning LIAR.

That's fine. You go ahead and say that.

I know we have differing views and that we have had some tension between us in the past and I'm sorry for that. I can't help how I post and what I post. It's what I feel and there was a time a week or so ago that I was going to try to change but I can't. We are who we are.

I am a nice person and I recognized that my posts have been rather harsh so I apologized and attempted to move on from this. I did not count on you making a post so blatantly hostile and there is no reason for that after I apologized.

I get that you don't like me but I do believe you once did. You know how I post and how I am, as does many people, yet you continue to pick on me all the time? You know that it's always going to turn into a back and forth that goes on and on and at times gets heated so why bother? I think it may be best if you and me just ignore each other's posts because I don't want something ugly to happen nor do I want to fill threads with this kind of back and forth regularly. It's sad that it's come to this but we have to do what we have to do. I don't set out to cause harm nor do I want things to ever end up this way but they seem to all the time on this board.

Again, I will apologize for the harshness of my posts because I admit that they were condescending. It's not going to change how I post though. If I make a mistake or offend someone, I will apologize because that is who I am. I just wish others would have the same courtesy.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

PR, I am not picking on you. I am simply responding to posts here on this board. Just like I have responded to Px and Aremid about this same subject. I will admit that due to our history, I can see why you would think or even feel that I am picking on you. And about my post that did come out of the condescending nature of your other posts and the things that I know you said in reference to DR somewhere else. If you will look back last week when you were thinking of changing how you post, I was the one trying to tell you that you didn't have too. I have tried to be nice to you. And I have tried to give this a chance.

And nobody is wanting you to change how you post - just to have respect for everyone else's opinions.

Everytime someone posts something negative about Days or how something sounds boring - it is not necessary to feel like you have to get the final word in as a positive one. Or to point out that other spoilers posted elsewhere sound better. It makes it look like their opinion doesn't matter. And I am not the only one to notice it. You don't have to try and negate their opinion by turning it positive or trying to point out something else.

There is no reason why both opinions can't exist on the board. Many times I and other people have let you have your say about Days and no one even responds to it, but it is very rare that you let something negative get by without saying something to turn it positive.

Everybody on this board are adults and love Days as much as you do. You don't have to be Days defender and seem to take it so personally if someone says something negative about the show. That is all DrewH has asked several times here. The purpose of a message board is to discuss both sides of any issue. Last night we had a long discussion about Luke & Noah in another thread about ATWT. There were those that were negative about it and those that were positive on the couple. Both sides were presented and no one was made to feel bad about how they felt.

Just don't make people feel so bad. That is my biggest problem is that you seem to always seek all the way back to SON to make me feel guilty for criticizing the show. And you constantly point out that it sounds like I didn't watch the whole episode or I quit for awhile - like that makes my opinion less important than yours. That is where my only anger stems from. Just because someone tuned out during an episode or whatever doesn't negate them from having an opinion about the show - whether negative or positive.

I have no problem with you as a person. I used to be the same type of poster as you about Days. I defended Days no matter what. And I made other people feel bad all the time about how I treated them in posts esp. Evan, XDaysAddict and even Roman at one time as I did the same thing you are doing with others in bringing up them quitting or who they watch for, etc. I remember calling Roman not a true fan because he quit the show at one time and then got mad at me because I didn't like changes that were being made. I realized my mistake and I apologized to people like Evan and xDays in a thread at SON that didn't get to stay up I hear. I saw the error of my way. I will never ever question anyone's devotion to a show again or make them feel bad because of the way they feel. There are no true fans - we are all just fans and every soap needs any and all fans right now.

I have no problem with your being positive about Days or a positive person. I am positive about life and everyting with it but I am not solely positive about Days or any of the shows. The shows have not done anything for me in several years now to make me want to be. When they deserve my constant positivity concerning them then I will give it to them, but they have to earn it again.

And sorry this Drake thing is a sore point for me. And I am passionate about it. I see other points and I am willing to look at the other sides. But once again I point out that the reason it makes me mad and I feel passionate about it is that you guys are blaming this man and condemning him for something you can't even prove he said. And sorry but with the way you give people like Hogan and even Thaao the benefit of the doubt it is really surprising. Again I think it is because what he said was negative about Days itself which is a stickler with you and something you can't let go. I think that is the reason I am more passionate with you about it is because I see the inconsistency in that with you. You get so angry with people taking what they see about Hogan at face value and calling him a liar, and urge people all the time to give Hogan the benefit of the doubt. You say it can't be Hogan it has to be Corday. Well we don't know that do we. I quit calling Hogan a liar after you pointed that out - out of respect to you and others.

But as you have pointed out here we don't have to. We can read anything into the articles that we want and it is fine.

I have no problem with you ignoring me on the boards. That is your choice. I don't like it. I have never ignored anyone on a message board. I come to boards to discuss what is being said. And to discuss the shows.

I will apologize for my harshness in the way I said what I said before, but I can't apologize for what I actually said. It should have been said in a nicer way. But much of it was a long time coming. I am not angry at you as a person, but I am angry over being made to feel guilty about my opinions. You get so mad at those of us who speak negatively about Days and make us feel bad about it, but yet you feel no shame in calling Y&R trash. But yet you would complain to high heaven if someone said Days was trash.

Everybody has their favorites, and just like you don't like someone calling Days bad or trash or talking negatively about it. I am sure there is a Y&R fan out there who sees the bad stuff on Y&R as good. They might not appreciate you saying that about their show.

Again Phoenix it is not a problem with you as a person, it is the way you make people feel. It is bad to criticize Days but it is okay if you criticize other shows. That is the thing I have the most problem with.

All I ask is if you want the privilege of calling Y&R trash then give everyone else the right if they want to say Days is trash or that Hogan is a hack or even that he is a liar if that is the way they feel - without you coming back with something to make them feel bad for saying it.

You want have to worry about hearing from me anymore in response to your posts. I will honor your request and I will ignore your posts. I will let this be my last say on this issue with you. But I will continue to discuss the issue though with Aremid and Px or whoever wants too. I will not stay out of the Days threads as I once did.

Again I do apologize for being harsh in my post, but I am sorry I can't apologize for what I said - just the way I said it.

SoapKing
Unregistered

px780
Aug 18 2007, 04:13 AM
I think Drake's comments can be interpreted in different ways, and that's the real problem. Whether or not "minor leaguers" is something he'd casually say, it is dismissive of either the characters or the actors who play them, depending on how you interpret it. And I can imagine this might cause tension. Not proven, but possible.

I'm also rereading it in light of Rachel Melvin's remark that someone on her first day wasn't so nice but Pinson took her under her wing.

I think...the reason the "minor leaguer" response comes off to me as a nasty swipe at costars, and the reason the interview irks me so much, is the conflict between how serious he sounds and what I've seen him do since I've watched the show. I mean, of all people to hold themselves up as a kind of savior bringing urgency and discipline- the man is famous for raising an eyebrow and squinting. Although I'll grant that none of the younger stars have major league skills with their eyebrows, or any other signature moves, it's not as though he's demonstrated a deep acting talent, imho.

The other thing that bugs me, and that I can imagine would bug others who are directly involved, is the comment about intensity. That's directly dismissive of the efforts people made over the months that The Eyebrow was in a coma, giving the reader the impression that they were all just kind of screwing around. And, again, there's this weirdness about The Eyebrow talking like he's going to whip them into shape.

I go back to that Rachel Melvin interview with that comment, too, because I think she's very serious about what she does, and while she can't carry the show I don't get the impression that she's just screwing around on set. Same with the other younger actors. They may not all be good, and very few of them connect with the audience that well, but they seem to make a solid effort. As I'm sure the other people behind-the-scenes do, with the possible exception of the writers who are crapping this stuff out.

Also, it's interesting this idea that there he perceived a different attitude and alleged lack of intensity when he wasn't around, but when it was seeming like he was coming back it got all "intense" again. Suggests to me that maybe people were more relaxed about things- though not necessarily less intense- when he wasn't there.

And the arrogance that flows through the article- coming from someone else I wouldn't necessarily mind. But if that's how he comes off in print, I can only imagine how it is with him in person. He doesn't come across as the type who would lead to a relaxed atmosphere on set, imho.

I could rant about this guy for hours, but my point is that while the article doesn't prove backstage tension, I totally see where it could lead to some disagreement and tension.

Also, I don't so much care if he's right in a factual sense with his comments (he's about half-right, I'd say). I just come from the school of thought that says if you're going to start talking in interviews all "honest" and stuff you'd best have the skills to back it up. This man does not. Though I wonder how well he'd do with a real, final death scene...they should give him one so he can be all urgent and professional and major league with it (frickin...without Eileen Davidson & Reilly's 90's I think he would've faded away a long time ago).

THANK YOU PX780! I AGREE 100% WITH EVERY DAMN THING YOU JUST SAID.

Post of the day right here!
Quote Post Goto Top

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

SteveFrame
Aug 18 2007, 10:01 PM
I have wondered if that is why we don't see Basic Black anymore.

It's now Mythic Communications LOL

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Quote:

(SteveFrame @ Aug 18 2007, 09:01 PM)

DAYS owns their sets, and are permanant. The non-permanent sets, which are only used for story purposes are 'swing" sets. :)

Swing Sets -
Java Cafe
Ballistix
Salem Inn
The Cheating Heart
St. Luke's
The Blue Note
Salem Airport

Permanant Sets-
University Hospital
Alice's Place
Titan
Salem Police Dept.
Horton House
DiMera Mansion/Chez Rouge
Ej's Apartment
Sami's Apartment
Brady House/Pub
Kiriakis Mansion
Bo & Hope's House
Carver House
Mickey & Maggie's House (Was Nancy & Craig's House)

Marlena's Penthouse (Currently not in use)
Roman's House (Currently not in use)
Lockhart House (Currently not in use)
The Loft (Currently not in use)

IMissAremid
Member Avatar

Roman has a house? Seriously?

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Yep, It was featured a lot in 03-04

Sami and Kate had a huge fight in the living room when Roman told Sami he wanted to marry Kate.

Kate and Roman got it on a few times in that house lol

She even confessed about the Sami framing issue, but he was alseep (Typical JER)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply