Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Soap Opera Opening Discussion!; Discuss the Soaps Openings!
Topic Started: Aug 19 2007, 03:44 PM (2,074 Views)
Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

:tink:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

I hate ATWT's opening with the nonexistant globe. All the farm images are to prop the Snyder family when the Hughes are what this show SHOULD be about. Plus half the cast is missing! I recall Ellen Dolan saying she was there when they filmed the cast, but they told her they weren't including her (despite having a contract).

Mason

into_the_skyline
Dec 19 2007, 11:04 PM
I hate ATWT's opening with the nonexistant globe. All the farm images are to prop the Snyder family when the Hughes are what this show SHOULD be about. Plus half the cast is missing! I recall Ellen Dolan saying she was there when they filmed the cast, but they told her they weren't including her (despite having a contract).

Damn, that's cold. The only things I hate about the current ATWT opening are the logo (the font is terrible) and how many cast members are missing from it, especially Helen Wagner, Eileen Fulton, Colleen Zenk-Pinter, Scott Holmes, and Ellen Dolan. They're all on contract, and they should definitely be in there. Otherwise, it's a BIG improvement over the last opening we'd had since 2002.

DramaKing
Member Avatar

AMC is a horrdi show with an amazing opening. OLTL's just doesnt fit tho, and i love GH's opening, it fits perfectly.

GL's is horrid and wful and tragic and needs to go. G-U-I-D-I-N-G-L-I-G-H-T was better than this crap.

ATWT's is awful. it looks like some cheap thing made by a fan not knowing what they are doing.

Y&R's is perfect and B&B's could be great if it wasnt done so fast and they didnt have the char names.

Days... i love it. but i wouldnt mind a new one. one where they ahve the hourglass but then zoom in on it show key cast members (hobo, marlena, sami, maggie/alice, etc)then come out to the hourlgass again.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

I finally found the rock version of GL's "Hold On To Love" opening from 1997. This version has Annie in the middle with a white coat on and ends with Reva walking down stairs. I didn't like this arrangement of "Hold On To Love" much, I preferred the original and slow version of the theme. Though "Hold On To Love" is definitely my favorite soap opera theme of the 90's!

Here it is:

[doHTML]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/apcFjOxTJD0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/apcFjOxTJD0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/doHTML]

Mason

Yeah, I don't like the rock version of HOTL much, myself.

MichaelGL
Member Avatar
Sexy Jew

The only good thing about ATWT's opening is the music...it's similar to the music they had during the 80s and 90s.

The graphics suck. Gold, Goutman? Gold? You went gold before, and it sucked. Why try it again. I hate how ATWT's opening have had like one dominant color these past few years, gold, blue, and now gold again. The absence of a globe is terrible also.

Yeah the farm scenes suck also. It reminds me of one of the first versions of GL's HOTL opening, but it worked for them. For ATWT it doesn't because there's clearly a an agenda here to prop up the Snyders as the only core family of the show, and it's a pathetic attempt at that. Their attempt is as pathetic as GL's to make the Cooper's their only core family.

Guiding Light's opening is horrible! Simply horrible. I get at what their trying to do here, trying to make theirs as classic as DAYS with the epigram. However the graphic is terrible, and they should have went with an announcer or something.

Back to the graphics, the hands are silly, lame, and cheap. The start of the opening reminds me of Futurama (if anyone understands what I'm talking about).

The oldest soap shouldn't have this opening, especially not for their 70th year on air. They deserve more.

AllMyShadows

Am I the only one who doesn't interpret the "farm" images in ATWT's as farm images but as symbols of the Midwest?

Mason

AllMyShadows
Dec 20 2007, 09:53 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't interpret the "farm" images in ATWT's as farm images but as symbols of the Midwest?

They remind me of both.

And Michael, I know EXACTLY what you're talking about in reference to GL and Futurama's openings! :lol:

I hope once 2007 is over, GL will ditch that God-awful 70th Anniversary "opening" of theirs, because it is just bad. It makes the scrolling letters look like Hold on to Love in comparison, LoL.

AllMyShadows

I just realized that I absolutely love the later versions of GL's "My Guiding Light." That's quintessential 80s/early 90s party music, right there.

Keith
Member Avatar

Only one thing about DAYS should be updated and that's the music. I loved the rare opening during the Melaswen storyline. It was practically a full orchestra. Something like that or, as Steve mentioned, something jazzy. Adding pictures just seems pointless when 1) every show that does it can't be bothered to update it consistently and 2) it sets DAYS apart from other soaps. I do like JP's suggestion of adding mainstays in, but even that could tricky in today's soap environment.

MichaelGL
Member Avatar
Sexy Jew

AllMyShadows
Dec 22 2007, 01:18 PM
I just realized that I absolutely love the later versions of GL's "My Guiding Light." That's quintessential 80s/early 90s party music, right there.

Haha I like it too, after listening to the song and watching the opening, one can really end up liking it after some time.

Quote:

Only one thing about DAYS should be updated and that's the music. I loved the rare opening during the Melaswen storyline. It was practically a full orchestra. Something like that or, as Steve mentioned, something jazzy. Adding pictures just seems pointless when 1) every show that does it can't be bothered to update it consistently and 2) it sets DAYS apart from other soaps. I do like JP's suggestion of adding mainstays in, but even that could tricky in today's soap environment.

I agree we should go back to the Melaswen theme. No changes to the opening sequence itself is needed IMO. It's a classic and it sets DAYS apart from the other soaps too.

The short used "Melaswen" theme was grand and majestic. Loved the full orchestra. Did anyone catch the mid show bumper one? It was the sound of a orchestra warming up. Very clever. I hope ES dusts off this theme and decides to use it again.

Quote:

I hope once 2007 is over, GL will ditch that God-awful 70th Anniversary "opening" of theirs, because it is just bad. It makes the scrolling letters look like Hold on to Love in comparison, LoL.

:lol: Mason!

Ah yes I remember everytime I heard those power drums start up, with the cheaply produced floating scenes, I would think to myself "Guiding Light must be on!".

GL's current opening reminds me of a bad antibacterial commercial.

aMLCproduction
Member Avatar
Prince

SteveFrame
Aug 19 2007, 07:48 PM
ATWT is my current fave even with it's problems. I love the music a lot. And the graphics they have used, but they need to add the people they left out.

Days is classic, but I would love to hear a little more jazzier music. But keep the hourglass and the voice. Just jazz it up a little.

I agree Steve. ATWT is currently the best. Great graphics and music alike.

I like B&B's. You never know which variation your going to get, and hands down the get an A++ for keeping it updated.

Days does need a slight remix. I think with Ed there we will get one. Wasn't he behind Y&R's red opening.

Speaking of Y&R For the love of GOD UPDATE THE DAMN THANG!!

All of ABC's opening's suck. They all look like to me. Fast and dark and generic.

I don't know what GL is using these days but I did like that hands one. It was different to say the least

skiman1208
Member Avatar

I actually really like AMC and B&B's openings the best. ATWT isn't bad, I just think they need to include all the contract players. Y&R is timeless. I love it. They just need to update the actors. Days just needs to be tweaked a little bit, but overall its a winner. OLTL and GH are pretty bad. They are both so generic and boring. Passions could use a new opening. I don't like that they use a shorter version 90% of the time. GL has the worst opening if you can even call it an opening. IT SUCKS!

AllMyShadows

Something that irks me is how everything's so animated and cartoonish in the current openings. All of the important symbols are fake. AMC's photo album is CGI, the .5-second shot of GH's hospital is CGI, DAYS's hourglass is CGI, the previous GL opening's lighthouse was CGI. Okay, yes, I know that most of the openings have been mainly computer-generated since the early 1990s, but still, I don't see the need for it. Imagine the gorgeous openings of the past that weren't animated...OLTL's sunrise/clouds opening from the early 1980s, GH's ambulance/hospital opening...GL's two lighthouse openings from the early 1970s. They would look ridiculous in computer-generated format.

I'd love it if the soaps all redid their openings at the same time and blatantly ripped off past openings, maybe changing some music up. An update of OLTL's 1984-1992 opening would be awesome. It utilized headshots without being overly flashy. All you got was headshots of the characters superimposed over shots of Llanview. AMC could so totally go back to the 2002-2004 opening, even if it was CGI too.

And the music for some shows is just atrocious. All of ABC's themes suck. I'm not a fan of ATWT's theme, but it's okay. B&B is good, Y&R is excellent, of course. DAYS should go back to the Melaswen theme. The theme GL used before the 70th anniversary was good, too.

ATWT could so marry their video-globe opening with the old nature opening. They could put either headshots or clips inside the letters of the title.

Mason

I really wish DAYS would go back and use the Melaswen opening too. It was so grand and regal, with the trumpets and everything.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

:tink:

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

I've always loved the Ryan's Hope theme music, so simple and classy, which fit the show very well. At it's creative peak, Ryan's Hope was the best soap on television IMO, I hate that SoapNet doesn't have the rights to episodes past 1981. Oh well, at least I have a few tapes. It's a shame this show isn't on the air anymore, it will forever be my favorite canceled soap...

Anyway, here of some Ryan's Hope openings:

This is the show's first opening from 1975

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iaxTL1XrEGI (It didn't have an embeding code)

This is the opening that aired from 1980-1983:

[doHTML]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Xri7zzMPSo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Xri7zzMPSo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/doHTML]

This is the opening that aired in 1984:

[doHTML]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q4-BgxPOlqE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q4-BgxPOlqE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/doHTML]

This is the show's final opening that aired from 1988-1989:

[doHTML]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WpbRylM5pfM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WpbRylM5pfM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/doHTML]

DramaKing
Member Avatar

AMC: Great opening. It really does work for them well. I hate the part where they fall from the sky tho. However i loved the one before the current one much more, with the a;bum turning pages and the moving pictures.

ATWT: has this show ever had a good opening? no. i dont think so.

BB: The updated opening is good, however it is kinda dark IMHO. and also i hate the actor and char names, it should only be the actor.

Days: Its great, its classic, it works. however an update with the hourglass that then zooms in and shows couples/chars would be great, esp if they used shots like the ones from soapnet. but just show hobo, marjohn, patchkayla, sami, shellip, maggie/alice. then pull back out to the hourglass and of course keeps mac's words.

GH: I actually like it. i fi nd it workds well for the theme and tone of the show. my only problem is the updates are obvious.

GL: awful. horris. the worst opening i ever seen in my life to anything, ever. who thought something could be worse than G-U-I-D-I-N-G-L-I-G-H-T?

OLTL: i dont like it, and idk why. because i like amc and gh's. i just dont think oltl fits with the opening it has.

YR: the best opening, but in massive need of updates and new orders.

my fave soap openings both came from AW. the late 90's and early 90's ones that used a mix of stages shots and screengrabs with the bright neon colors and made to look like pantings. and the one after it with a much more updated mix feel of urben and upper west side city.

worldturner7

GL : Horrible horrible mess (IS There anything going right on this show? can you name one thing? i can't, it is a hot mess)

ATWT: Music is the best, dramatic and with a big punch (less gold would be ok)

OLTL: looks like a PBS show from the early 80's.. it sucks! (loved the 1993 opening)

Best opening of all time: Guiding Light and the lighthouse, early 90's (runner up: OLTL and the lace curtain)
Worst opening: ATWT globe -mid 80's

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply