Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days: Has The Damage Already Been Done?
Topic Started: Aug 20 2007, 07:46 PM (1,334 Views)
Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

With the arrival of a new EP and the actors on the show raving about the quality content, can this show recover, at least ratings-wise? Days is down almost a million viewers from a year ago, is it possible for the show to regain even half of those viewers?

By the sounds of it, Scott's hiring at Days is probably NBC's last resort in order to save this show. Will the show be able to get its act together?

Passions is gone this fall, and with that comes a change in time slot for Days, in many major markets, this will definitely effect the show somewhat. Will viewers care to follow it to another time slot?

So, even if the quality, balance, and overall direction of the show improves drastically, can Days stage a comeback or is it too little, too late?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

King
Member Avatar

I don't think a show ever reaches the "too late" mark until the axe has fallen.

No one knows what's going to happen really. The ratings are all so close maybe DAYS will be #3 by next summer. Or maybe it'll get canceled even if it hits #3 again anyway? Or maybe Jeff Zucker will get fired next week, and it will get renewed?

I would say it's not too late until the pink slip is signed.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Barring some kind of cultural shift I don't think any show can regain lost audience, and I think this is especially true in Days' case (due to their failure to create successful new characters for such a long time).

All I hope for is a quality comeback, something like Passions has done with its recent surge towards a finish line.

DOOL_Fan4ever
Member Avatar
I am Secretly Gay!

days can still do it, look what they did in 2003. Never count days out cause if u do, days will have the final laugh. If Soaps ever lose days, then couple years then all soaps will be dead. Days of our lives along with Y@R AND GH are the corner stones to soap operas.

OakdaleU
Unregistered

I am very interested to see Days numbers after Passions leaves the air. It should be interesting to see. A 1 soap network. It will be very odd to see on air.
Quote Post Goto Top

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

DAYS is very unpredictable. Just when it begins to go down under, something great happens to boost it back up. Overall, the quality of the show has declined immensly over the years, and unfortuantely, I think its time to end is fast approaching.

DOOL_Fan4ever
Member Avatar
I am Secretly Gay!

Jinxed Soul
Aug 20 2007, 09:09 PM
DAYS is very unpredictable. Just when it begins to go down under, something great happens to boost it back up. Overall, the quality of the show has declined immensly over the years, and unfortuantely, I think its time to end is fast approaching.

days is not going to end, if days leaves then SOAPS WILL BE DEAD in acouple years

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

DOOL_Fan4ever
Aug 20 2007, 10:11 PM
Jinxed Soul

days is not going to end, if days leaves then SOAPS WILL BE DEAD in acouple years

Ummm all soaps didn't die when others went off the air. For instance, Sunset Beach was a big hit, and every other soap out there didn't get demolished just because that one came to an end.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

I don't think Days can recover most of the million viewers they lost in the past year, but I don't think it's impossible for Days to get back to No. 3 or No. 4 if they start telling better stories with a better balance of all the characters. It's all about the writing IMO.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I have come to believe that the soap that has the most influence on ratings is Y&R.

GH has fallen and AMC & OLTL didn't fall.

Days has fallen but Passions has not fallen as much as Days did - so they have influenced Passions some but not that much.

But when Y&R started falling the whole CBS lineup suffered. Y&R is still a very influential soap but I belived that both GH and Days have lost some of their importance in that realm.

I would have agreed that a few years ago Days' cancellation would have heavily impacted things, but since Days has lost so much this year and so many fans have quit already I don't see that the cancellation will have any more of an affect than the cancellation of any other soap at this point.

Right now any soap that is cancelled will signal an end. I don't think Passions will be replaced by a soap so we will be down to 8. Each soap going just signals the end coming.

DOOL_Fan4ever
Member Avatar
I am Secretly Gay!

Jinxed Soul
Aug 20 2007, 09:15 PM
DOOL_Fan4ever
Jinxed Soul

Ummm all soaps didn't die when others went off the air. For instance, Sunset Beach was a big hit, and every other soap out there didn't get demolished just because that one came to an end.

but they didnt make a big splash like days did, people who dont watch soaps heard of days of our lives and heard the saying like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives. My teacher, she doesnt watch soaps but she heard of days. i talk about days in school and i will be watching days on my ipod this year. Half the kids in my school dont watch soaps and they heard of days of our lives.

I dont care what people says DAYS OF OUR LIVES is an ICON in soaps along with Y@R and GH. If one of those 3 goes then soaps are dead

OakdaleU
Unregistered

Should I or shouldnt I?...nah....I better not. :lol:
Quote Post Goto Top

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

DOOL_Fan4ever
Aug 20 2007, 09:24 PM
Jinxed Soul
DOOL_Fan4ever
Jinxed Soul

but they didnt make a big splash like days did, people who dont watch soaps heard of days of our lives and heard the saying like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives. My teacher, she doesnt watch soaps but she heard of days. i talk about days in school and i will be watching days on my ipod this year. Half the kids in my school dont watch soaps and they heard of days of our lives.

I dont care what people says DAYS OF OUR LIVES is an ICON in soaps along with Y@R and GH. If one of those 3 goes then soaps are dead

So what if you think it's an icon? "Friends" was an icon in the land of television for ten years and it's long gone now. Television shows, even the great ones, have to end some time.

For me, yes the damage has been done. For all viewers, I don't think so. The only way I would ever tune back into Days full time is if they fired Hogan.

DOOL_Fan4ever
Member Avatar
I am Secretly Gay!

i think there is only one head writer that can save days and that is hogan sheffer, he works great with a great production team, look at his work at ATWT, didnt they have a great production team. With ed scott in and his changes start august 31 or mid september, hogan writing will get alot better. I dont know how people can compare hogan and Reilly, Days is actually a soap now and not a cartoon. Under reilly days was a cartoon during Salem Island with magnetic floors and everything but i did enjoy salem island. I did enjoy most of reilly storys and i am enjoying hogan storys too, but days is actually a soap now and not a cartoon, passions is a soapy cartoon lol. Hogan has better Dialogue, the show isnt taken up by flashbacks every 5 mins lol. yea :)

DOOL_Fan4ever
Member Avatar
I am Secretly Gay!

psychofan
Aug 20 2007, 09:30 PM
DOOL_Fan4ever
Aug 20 2007, 09:24 PM
Jinxed Soul
DOOL_Fan4ever
Jinxed Soul

So what if you think it's an icon? "Friends" was an icon in the land of television for ten years and it's long gone now. Television shows, even the great ones, have to end some time.

For me, yes the damage has been done. For all viewers, I don't think so. The only way I would ever tune back into Days full time is if they fired Hogan.

what do you have against hogan, he is a good writer. There are only 2 good shows on tv days of our lives and one tree hill.

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

Quote:

what do you have against hogan, he is a good writer. There are only 2 good shows on tv days of our lives and one tree hill.

Would you stop acting like your opinions are facts?! Good grief.

And what do I have against Hogan? I think he's a TERRIBLE writer. My least favorite in daytime. He's boring, he makes my once favorite characters either unrecognizable or not even shown, he's made Days lose a million viewers. So there you go.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

OakdaleU
Aug 20 2007, 10:26 PM

Good idea :lol:

DAYS is one of the better-known soaps but I really don't think every soap would go down under just because of DAYS. Every soap is its own, and just because one ends doesn't mean all other soaps would lose all or most viewers. Infact, viewers may have more appreciation for other soaps with one less to watch.

DOOL_Fan4ever
Member Avatar
I am Secretly Gay!

Jinxed Soul
Aug 20 2007, 09:36 PM
OakdaleU

DAYS is one of the better-known soaps but I really don't think every soap would go down under just because of DAYS. Every soap is its own, and just because one ends doesn't mean all other soaps would lose all or most viewers. Infact, viewers may have more appreciation for other soaps with one less to watch.

days is not going to end, i can say that for a fact, how about in 2003, nbc was threatening to cancel days and they pulled out a serial killer story which i loved and got there ratings up. i wonder if they are going to do another killer storyline because corday said there will be SOME cuts so maybe it will be a killer and make it be ANDRE DIMERA, come on, he is phyco. Remember they wont come back from the dead, this is hogan not Reilly.

King
Member Avatar

I actually kind of have to agree. GH, Y&R, and DAYS have always been the big three, and the most popular soaps in pop culture and in the media. Losing any of those three would be a huge blow to daytime, and it kind of would mark the beginning of the end of the genre, in my eyes, although I know some thought that was the case when AW was canceled.

The difference between DAYS and SUN is obvious.

And yeah, dozens upon dozens of soaps have been canceled over the last thirty years, but there haven't been as low as 8 soaps on the air in a long time. Losing one now is way bigger than losing one then.

OakdaleU
Unregistered

DOOL_Fan4ever
Aug 20 2007, 09:40 PM
Jinxed Soul
Aug 20 2007, 09:36 PM
OakdaleU

days is not going to end, i can say that for a fact, how about in 2003, nbc was threatening to cancel days and they pulled out a serial killer story which i loved and got there ratings up. i wonder if they are going to do another killer storyline because corday said there will be SOME cuts so maybe it will be a killer and make it be ANDRE DIMERA, come on, he is phyco. Remember they wont come back from the dead, this is hogan not Reilly.

What fact? Plzzz...no one knows unless your are resposible for Days being renewed or cancelled. :P
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply