Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days: Has The Damage Already Been Done?
Topic Started: Aug 20 2007, 07:46 PM (1,374 Views)
☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

No, you can't say that for a fact, just like I can't say DAYS will end for sure. I myself love DAYS and wouldn't want to see it end, but I have to face reality. I find myself hardly even watching the show anymore. Beyond a doubt, there are many great weeks where the show really picks up and an awesome storyline pops up. Then, there are other times when its slow-paced and really boring. More disappointmets are coming then good things. DAYS has lost so many viewers, and appears to be running out of NEW and UNIQUE material.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DOOL_Fan4ever
Member Avatar
I am Secretly Gay!

Jinxed Soul
Aug 20 2007, 09:43 PM
No, you can't say that for a fact, just like I can't say DAYS will end for sure. I myself love DAYS and wouldn't want to see it end, but I have to face reality. I find myself hardly even watching the show anymore. Beyond a doubt, there are many great weeks where the show really picks up and an awesome storyline pops up. Then, there are other times when its slow-paced and really boring. More disappointmets are coming then good things. DAYS has lost so many viewers, and appears to be running out of NEW and UNIQUE material.

well i will never stop watching days, i haven't since i started watching in 1994 since i was 4. I got every and i mean EVERY episode since 1994. I have never missed an episode ok i did but i dvr it, and it was the day after Sami's wedding of this year when Stephanie was in the hospital. I only dvr it when i have to when my gram or pap wont be home or i wont. When i am in school, my gram tapes it for me, i am not that big of fan of DVR. I will not believe days is going to end. We all know hogan can write look at last fall and winter, for some reason i look for the same thing to happen to fall and winter.

but i am not going to believe days is going to end in 2009, they could leave NBC but Brain Fronz always waited to get his hands on days to ABC. I for one, would not want to see days in Fronz hands, he could turn days into another GH with the DiMeras. That is the reason why i stopped watching GH TOO MUCH SONNY AND JASON. Plus Fronz will do away with the hourglass and put the cast in it. I would hate to see ABC opening for days, like someone said it could be sand all over the screen with some music and the cast.

Days is not going off the air. We will see in 2009 and i bet i will have the last laugh :lol:

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

DOOL_Fan4ever
Aug 20 2007, 09:50 PM
Jinxed Soul

well i will never stop watching days, i haven't since i started watching in 1994 since i was 4. I got every and i mean EVERY episode since 1994. I have never missed an episode ok i did but i dvr it, and it was the day after Sami's wedding of this year when Stephanie was in the hospital. I only dvr it when i have to when my gram or pap wont be home or i wont. When i am in school, my gram tapes it for me, i am not that big of fan of DVR. I will not believe days is going to end. We all know hogan can write look at last fall and winter, for some reason i look for the same thing to happen to fall and winter.

but i am not going to believe days is going to end in 2009, they could leave NBC but Brain Fronz always waited to get his hands on days to ABC. I for one, would not want to see days in Fronz hands, he could turn days into another GH with the DiMeras. That is the reason why i stopped watching GH TOO MUCH SONNY AND JASON. Plus Fronz will do away with the hourglass and put the cast in it. I would hate to see ABC opening for days, like someone said it could be sand all over the screen with some music and the cast.

Days is not going off the air. We will see in 2009 and i bet i will have the last laugh :lol:

Terry sometimes you make no sense. In another thread you said you had no problem with Days being all about one or two characters. And said you enjoyed the Jason hour over at GH, and then here you say that is why you quit watching GH.

Oh please.

OakdaleU
Unregistered

SteveFrame
Aug 20 2007, 10:00 PM
DOOL_Fan4ever
Jinxed Soul

Terry sometimes you make no sense. In another thread you said you had no problem with Days being all about one or two characters. And said you enjoyed the Jason hour over at GH, and then here you say that is why you quit watching GH.

Oh please.

:lol: Terry???...so thats his name. Steve...poor Steve...I feel your pain. ;)
Quote Post Goto Top

DOOL_Fan4ever
Member Avatar
I am Secretly Gay!

SteveFrame
Aug 20 2007, 10:00 PM
DOOL_Fan4ever
Jinxed Soul

Oh please.

what i ment was i do sometime get tired of jason and sonny show. but i do quit a while from watching GH, GH is not my fav soap. DAYS OF OUR LIVES will always be my #1 soap of all time. Jason Morgan is my favorite character on GH but i want him out of the mob. I cant stand Sonny, i like the actor but i hate sonny.

plus i dont like Logan and he is mostly the reason why i dont watch GH alot anymore, i hate how he is playing LuLu. Jeremy is more toleble then Logan, he says he is falling for lulu and then one day he started making out with that slut maxie.

and days should be focused around these characters all the time: sami, ej,lucas,nick,chelsea, max,stephanie, bo, hope, stefano, tony, andre, jeremy, john,marlena,lexie,abe,roman,anna,belle,shawn,philip

but mostly ej,sami,nick and chelsea

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

Why should DAYS be focussed around those characters all the time? There is such diversity on the show. What is the significance of Lexie and Abe, and not someone like Belle and Shawn?

DOOL_Fan4ever
Member Avatar
I am Secretly Gay!

Jinxed Soul
Aug 20 2007, 10:09 PM
Why should DAYS be focussed around those characters all the time? There is such diversity on the show. What is the significance of Lexie and Abe, and not someone like Belle and Shawn?

i forgot belle and shawn, i love them. Brandon and Martha are awesome

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

DOOL_Fan4ever
Aug 20 2007, 09:31 PM
i think there is only one head writer that can save days and that is hogan sheffer, he works great with a great production team, look at his work at ATWT, didnt they have a great production team. With ed scott in and his changes start august 31 or mid september, hogan writing will get alot better. I dont know how people can compare hogan and Reilly, Days is actually a soap now and not a cartoon. Under reilly days was a cartoon during Salem Island with magnetic floors and everything but i did enjoy salem island. I did enjoy most of reilly storys and i am enjoying hogan storys too, but days is actually a soap now and not a cartoon, passions is a soapy cartoon lol. Hogan has better Dialogue, the show isnt taken up by flashbacks every 5 mins lol. yea :)

LOL... what an original thought. If only I hadn't heard Kenny post basically this exact same thing earlier today (down to the magnetic floors), except more coherently and with better grammar.

http://boards.sonypictures.com/soaps/showthread.php?t=97379

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I love that thread that Kenny started and yes Terry has just stolen Kenny's argument and botched it big time.

I love all the comments there and love the way that they discussed the issue. One post really stuck out at me:

Quote:

If you throw new paint on a house, it might look good for a time, but if the structure is not fixed first then you still run the risk of the house collapsing. So, now you have a nicely painted pile of ruin instead of one that was not. Fix the structural problems first, then the cosemtic ones.

As some have pointed out here, and I agree with them. You can make the show look better but until some things are fixed like the level of stories. Right now what should be B and C stories are A stories. Only certain characters are affected by stories. Until some of those things are fixed fans aren't going to come back. They might check out the new look but they won't stay for the new look.

Oh I love that John/Marlena banner "Are you sure this is where you saw our story" accompanied by the quote from Corday. I crack up every time I see that one.

bellcurve
Unregistered

Yes.

I do admit that DAYS is one of the three cornerstone soaps in the press, but Digest and Weekly have been bleeding from low sales for years now. Thanks to the 'nernets.

I think, no matter what Corday/Scott/Kent do, NBC has an agenda where the daytime lineup is concerned. I think sweeps will be a telling month. If DAYS can sustain its numbers and gain a bit while the other soaps fall, it has a fighting chance.

Affiliates are also the make-or-break as well. Something tells me half the country will be out of DAYS after Beijing.
Quote Post Goto Top

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Hmm. I'm curious to see how much cosmetics helps these storylines. And pacing- if they can get the pacing worked out that would go a long, long way. No more one episode trips to Ireland, stop the Reilly-like cycles (the Sami-EJ-Lucas rescuing/injury thing has to stop). I'd kind of rather Scott focus on that than the content and balance, actually. I can tolerate a lot of one person if they're doing more than one thing, I think.

That's also interesting the mention of Beijing. How the heck can Days survive that? Especially when NBC doesn't really promote the show all that much. I'm not interested in the Olympics at all (not patriotic enough, don't so much care which anorexic teenager does the best flips on a beam...), but that's going to be a long break. They'll need a helluva cliffhanger to even have a chance.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

King
Aug 20 2007, 07:49 PM
I don't think a show ever reaches the "too late" mark until the axe has fallen.

No one knows what's going to happen really. The ratings are all so close maybe DAYS will be #3 by next summer. Or maybe it'll get canceled even if it hits #3 again anyway? Or maybe Jeff Zucker will get fired next week, and it will get renewed?

I would say it's not too late until the pink slip is signed.

I agree. I think the show can realistically get to 2nd or 3rd because of where B&B and GH are now. I think Days can reach a 2.6-2.7 if it gets things straightened out. I'm not sure about higher then that.

I agree with Kenny too in that it can be said at the very least the show is a normal soap again. It's grounded and not some punchline to a joke. The addition of Ed Scott only helps matters in that regard. I just want improved balance, execution, music, feel and look, and tighter writing.

I know Days will last past 2009. Where is anyone's guess. I am thinking Soapnet right now but who knows. I just can't buy NBC being as supportive as we heard in the articles of late, unless it's a pathetic attempt on Days and NBC to reverse what that statement did.

I know about the Olympics but does anyone know how long that break is? It sounds lengthy and it worries me but I have not heard the exact length of the break yet.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

PhoenixRising05
Aug 21 2007, 02:59 AM
I know about the Olympics but does anyone know how long that break is? It sounds lengthy and it worries me but I have not heard the exact length of the break yet.

The 2008 Summer Olympics will last from August 8 to August 24, so two weeks and three days.

sungrey

DOOL_Fan4ever
Aug 20 2007, 09:31 PM
i think there is only one head writer that can save days and that is hogan sheffer, he works great with a great production team, look at his work at ATWT, didnt they have a great production team. With ed scott in and his changes start august 31 or mid september, hogan writing will get alot better. I dont know how people can compare hogan and Reilly, Days is actually a soap now and not a cartoon. Under reilly days was a cartoon during Salem Island with magnetic floors and everything but i did enjoy salem island. I did enjoy most of reilly storys and i am enjoying hogan storys too, but days is actually a soap now and not a cartoon, passions is a soapy cartoon lol. Hogan has better Dialogue, the show isnt taken up by flashbacks every 5 mins lol. yea :)

Ah, relax. There are just some people who can't accept another writer than Reilly. I'm glad he's gone and while Hogie hasn't been perfect, his work's been pretty darn good. I suspect his main problem was Corday, which should be taken care of with Ed Scott coming over as EP.

All the Reilly apologists are gone from the show including Roy Steinberg and Stephen Wyman. I'm ready to move on.

On an unrelated note, I gotta start posting more on this board. All the familiar SON names are over here... :D

bellcurve
Unregistered

px780
Aug 21 2007, 01:09 AM
That's also interesting the mention of Beijing. How the heck can Days survive that? Especially when NBC doesn't really promote the show all that much. I'm not interested in the Olympics at all (not patriotic enough, don't so much care which anorexic teenager does the best flips on a beam...), but that's going to be a long break. They'll need a helluva cliffhanger to even have a chance.

Man, forget the cliffhanger on the show. The BIG cliffhanger will be whether or not the affiliates will pick DAYS back up when it returns from the Olympics in Late August. I'm willing to bet my testicles that NBC will sabotage DAYS like this, forcing it into early cancellation(as low ratings did with EDGE/PGP/ABC) or driving its ratings so low where no one will want to pick up the show when the NBC contract is done.

NBC will probably encourage it unless the ratings show significant gain by May Sweeps and stays there. And I'm not talking about a 0.1 gain the households or 100,000 household viewers. I'm talking between half-a-million to one million viewers. The big question is whether or not DAYS can do it.

If the damage is already done, I say no way. If the show can be salvaged through great storytelling(and not good storytelling that kept Hoagie coasting on cruise control all summer) and a better use of production values, then I say it will have a good chance. If it's gonna be a rehash of what we're seeing now...God help us!
Quote Post Goto Top

sungrey

I so hear you about Edge. When the Olympics aired in 1984, the last local affiliate to carry Edge in my area dropped the show... leaving me to rely on SOD synopses in the final few months. That sucked.

bellcurve
Unregistered

sungrey
Aug 22 2007, 12:21 AM
I so hear you about Edge. When the Olympics aired in 1984, the last local affiliate to carry Edge in my area dropped the show... leaving me to rely on SOD synopses in the final few months. That sucked.

Oh wow...were those Summer Olympics or Winter Olympics?!

If that was Summer, then that sucked. That basically meant that affiliates were dropping EDGE in September...nearly 3 months before the cancellation announcement and final airdate!
Quote Post Goto Top

Manny
Member Avatar

Oh wow! I didn't even know that NBC is preempting DAYS for two weeks again next year for Olympics!! :o

That's gotta hurt them!

Wow...

I am one of those that have really low expectations from the changes coming. I don't think that DAYS can get 500 000 - 1 000 000 viewers back and keep them. I just don't see any soap doing that these days.

I don't consider myself to be a negative person, but actually a realist. And yes, I do think this is soap reality these days. So if soaps wanna prove me wrong, then be my guest! :D

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

Manny
Aug 26 2007, 06:28 AM
I don't think that DAYS can get 500 000 - 1 000 000 viewers back and keep them. I just don't see any soap doing that these days.

I agree. I can keep see DAYS, or any soap for that matter getting back their viewers, but maintaining them is the issue. That's always been a big issue for DAYS where they have an amazing few weeks, and then it goes back into the gutter.

bellcurve
Unregistered

Manny
Aug 26 2007, 05:28 AM
Oh wow! I didn't even know that NBC is preempting DAYS for two weeks again next year for Olympics!! :o

Nothing has been 100%-elly announced, but it's looking that way...

They did coverage in 04, and in this day and age of 24 hour coverage, I don't see it changing. And think about it...it's the perfect way for NBC to sabotage DAYS before/during its contract negotiations. NBC will probably(for fall) launch another syndicated entity and ask it's O&O and bigger markets to place the said syndicated show in DAYS's timeslot.

I mean, c'mon...this is the same network that cancelled SANTA BARBARA and didn't replace it with anything! The same network that cancelled SUNSET BEACH and AW in the same year.

Do you REALLY trust NBC and its affiliates to do the right thing by the fans of DAYS when you see what their past history with soaps has been?!

I don't. And I would start writing the DAYS letters to the network AND the affiliates today.

Quote:

I am one of those that have really low expectations from the changes coming. I don't think that DAYS can get 500 000 - 1 000 000 viewers back and keep them. I just don't see any soap doing that these days.

Despite me being a doomsdayer, I'm not gonna say it's imposssible. But I do think it's gonna take something to get people talking again. And Marlena being possessed again(as much as I would love "The Return Of MarDevil" for the nostalgia and camp factor) won't do it. Neither will a "Daytime Dollars" sweepstakes.

I could see them gaining half a million viewers before May if the affiliates don't drop DAYS or do a late-night switcheroo(which, in this day and age of SOAPnet, an affiliate is likely to tell the fans to order cable to see it), but it will be difficult.

Great storytelling can cause a ratings surge...but it won't even matter if NBC and it's affiliates aren't willing to stick with DAYS.
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply