Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion; The week of August 27
Topic Started: Aug 27 2007, 11:36 AM (4,048 Views)
MichaelGL
Member Avatar
Sexy Jew

I really enjoyed the show. Sure it wasn't action packed like the rest of the week, but it was a good family centric episode. Plus for an episode to be the so called the clunker of the week without TTS in that episode is saying alot lol.

What a really amazing conversation Hope and Shawn had today. KA did a good job conveying the worry she has about Shawn becoming a cop. We also got a Zach mention too.

Patch and Kayla remind me of another couple on another soap, but I won't mention their names....I will say that unlike that certain couple, I like Payla. They were okay at first for me, but now their new storyline has really drawn me in.

Lexie, Kayla, and Benjy scenes were good to. With Kayla being a doctor and all wouldn't it be insane to see her contemplating whether she should pull the plug on ole Steffy?

BTW:DAYS has the cutest babies around.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

GBB
Member Avatar

Loved today's show. It was a quieter episode than the rest of the week but I have a feeling it's just to give us all a chance to catch our breath before next week.

Loved, loved, loved the Steve/Hope scenes. Of course I love it any time the writers remind us of their deep friendship and love for each other. Hope is one of the few people who can call Steve on his bull and I loved her calling him a "big dope" when he tried to brush off how much he enjoys taking care of Pocket. The last scene with them was just so well done. I can't get enough of Steve, Kayla, Bo & Hope together in any combination.

I really enjoyed the Kayla & Lexie scenes too, and Benjy's comment about Pocket being a "lucky boy" actually brought tears to my eyes.

Please can't we keep Benjy? James Lunsford can communicate more with his eyes than many actors communicate at full voice. I really don't want to see him die but I have a bad feeling he's going to be an eventual casualty of the Brady/Dimera war.

The Shawn/Belle/Phillip scenes were okay but I'm so, so weary of this triangle. I'd like to see another woman catch Phillip's eye.

BTW, I capped the preview for next week that aired during Passions, if anyone wants to see it:

http://www.ohlookabird.com/dool/2007/083107_promo.wmv

PoisonIvy
Member Avatar

Today's show was okay. Not a thrill, but not horrid as so many episodes had been for me....definitely all about family and this type of domesticity, once in a while, is fine with me.....I liked Patch and Kayla scenes, they are being used so much more effectively than the insane asylum s/l travesty they were stuck in. It just feels as if the acting overall is better on the show....that bright stark lighting just made the show look cheap, and I didn't even realize how much until now....Even the Shelle/Phelle scenes didn't aggravate me like they normally do....I think I love Ed Scott. :)

Minor quibble of the day - if Benjy's in the hospital having just had his liver torn out of him, why wouldn't his wife be there to see him? I mean, Lexie talked about being there by his side the whole time, but nothing from his wife....they could have at least thrown in a line that she was there as well and left to check on the baby....something....did I miss that?

GBB
Member Avatar

Quote:

Minor quibble of the day - if Benjy's in the hospital having just had his liver torn out of him, why wouldn't his wife be there to see him? I mean, Lexie talked about being there by his side the whole time, but nothing from his wife....they could have at least thrown in a line that she was there as well and left to check on the baby....something....did I miss that?

That bugged me a bit too but I'm fanwanking it that Benjy has Sonja and the baby in hiding somewhere.

DaysFanJean
Member Avatar

GBB
Aug 31 2007, 03:34 PM
Loved today's show. It was a quieter episode than the rest of the week but I have a feeling it's just to give us all a chance to catch our breath before next week.

Loved, loved, loved the Steve/Hope scenes. Of course I love it any time the writers remind us of their deep friendship and love for each other. Hope is one of the few people who can call Steve on his bull and I loved her calling him a "big dope" when he tried to brush off how much he enjoys taking care of Pocket. The last scene with them was just so well done. I can't get enough of Steve, Kayla, Bo & Hope together in any combination.

I really enjoyed the Kayla & Lexie scenes too, and Benjy's comment about Pocket being a "lucky boy" actually brought tears to my eyes.

Please can't we keep Benjy? James Lunsford can communicate more with his eyes than many actors communicate at full voice. I really don't want to see him die but I have a bad feeling he's going to be an eventual casualty of the Brady/Dimera war.

The Shawn/Belle/Phillip scenes were okay but I'm so, so weary of this triangle.  I'd like to see another woman catch Phillip's eye.

BTW, I capped the preview for next week that aired during Passions, if anyone wants to see it:

http://www.ohlookabird.com/dool/2007/083107_promo.wmv

I know you are a Steve and Kayla fan. I was, too in to 80s where they belong. It was easy to love Steve knowing (as most people do) that he would grow up and become a more developed character eventually.........but no, we get arrested development Steve with super sophistocated Kayla. I simply cannot abide that. I'd rather they never came back at all.

There is no way a woman who had will enough to raise a daughter by herself and educated herself to become a doctor then have her own practice, could have held onto a love lost except as one she had to make peace with. There is no way she could accept this heathen back into her life even knowing the love they shared way back when both were young and immature. We haven't seen them reconcile those years. We haven't seen how they grew together, we haven't seen them decide to marry....I'm certain that they are not still married in the eyes of the law. It's totally absurb and ridiculous and I simply do not like it.

Also, why would Kayla get by with excising John's liver and keep her license except that she is dishonest. Grrrrrrrr.

I hate stuff shoved down my brain like I'm not a thinking person. It could have been written better and given Steve some decorum.

The video was awesome. That will play out great....but I surely hate to see Steffie in that position.

PoisonIvy
Member Avatar

GBB
Aug 31 2007, 06:34 PM
Quote:

That bugged me a bit too but I'm fanwanking it that Benjy has Sonja and the baby in hiding somewhere.

lol - I'm used to filling in the blanks myself too....sometimes I wish though that they'd pay attention to the little details....it helps to keep me into the scenes, instead of being taken out of the moment, saying "WTF? Why don't they....or doesn't this make more sense instead"....

GBB
Member Avatar

With all due respect, Jean, I have a feeling that you are way too far gone in your hatred of Steve and Kayla for anything I have to say to make a difference but I'll respond since you directed your comments to me.

Quote:

I know you are a Steve and Kayla fan.  I was, too in to 80s where they belong.  It was easy to love Steve knowing (as most people do) that he would grow up and become a more developed character eventually.........but no, we get arrested development Steve with super sophistocated Kayla.

I'm not sure what you're seeing as undeveloped about him unless you mean the fact that he isn't (and never will be) a typical 9-5 guy with a 401k. That's who he is. That's who a lot of people are. It doesn't mean they're undeveloped or arrested at some juvenile stage unless they also live their lives in irresponsible ways.

Steve doesn't live his life irresponsibly. When he was ripped away from his family through no fault of his own, he was married, raising his little girl, owned a home and was working a steady job with the Salem PD. When he died, he was doing his best to help reign in his best friend Bo who was, by the way, acting as a vigilante (an eco-terrorist, to be precise).

For 16 years his life was ripped away and he suffered torture and god knows what else. The last year of his life has been spent trying to regain some memory of who he was (that took 6 months), re-living the torture and brainwashing he suffered and trying to piece back together a some kind of a life with his wife and daughter.

So I guess I'm not sure what you're expecting of him or what would make him suitable for the "super sophistocated Kayla." For him to dress differently? Not be angry over what happened to him? Be a different person than he is? He's a jeans kind of guy who prefers action over talk and loves his beer and blues music. That makes him slighly non-traditional, maybe. It doesn't make him undeveloped.

Quote:

There is no way a woman who had will enough to raise a daughter by herself and educated herself to become a doctor then have her own practice, could have held onto a love lost except as one she had to make peace with.  There is no way she could accept this heathen back into her life even knowing the love they shared way back when both were young and immature.  We haven't seen them reconcile those years.  We haven't seen how they grew together, we haven't seen them decide to marry....I'm certain that they are not still married in the eyes of the law.  It's totally absurb and ridiculous and I simply do not like it.

Well I can't help you there. I remember you had a real issue with the possibility of Abby and Max together because Max was a mechanic and Abby was an educated daughter of sophisticated, educated parents. So maybe it's a class thing for you?

Kayla never looked at Steve that way. She saw past class differences and outer trappings and recognized that this was a man with a huge capacity to love. That's what they share in common. They are both people with large hearts and fierce loyalty to the ones they love. And to my way of thinking that's far more important than whether they have the same taste in music or wine or anything else.

Quote:

Also, why would Kayla get by with excising John's liver and keep her license except that she is dishonest. Grrrrrrrr.

How exactly was she dishonest? Immediately after performing the surgery she called an ambulance for John and called the police to turn herself in. She fully expected to deal with the consequences and even said she'd most likely lose her license.

Bottom line for me, Kayla was faced with two horrible choices that night in the warehouse. She could perform the surgery and do everything in her power to keep John alive or she could try to go for help and hope that the hack doctor hadn't killed him by the time she returned. If we ever wondered what would have happened to John that night if Kayla hadn't cooperated, what happened to Benjy (sliced open and dumped in a dumpster) gives us a good clue.

Steve was under mind control at the time and did as much as he could to save John's life, within his power to control his own actions, by getting Kayla there. Once there, Kayla went with the one choice (as horrific as it was) that might give John a chance to survive. It's because of the choices they made that John's still alive.

Quote:

I hate stuff shoved down my brain like I'm not a thinking person.

I consider myself a thinking person and I don't feel that any of this has been shoved down my throat.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

I missed today's episode on NBC, then the power went out here and was out during the time Days is on Soapnet and then some :soapbox: ......

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

OK if you're wondering where my gushing post for today's episode is... well... I didn't think it was gush-worthy.

It wasn't that it was bad, it just didn't blow me away the way the rest of the week had. In fact, I actually fell asleep halfway through so I had to rewatch the second half. Not that it was really the show's fault entirely as I was BEAT, but it was definitely an odd Friday episode IMO and disappointing from a cliffhanger standpoint in that it couldn't keep me awake the whole time, which is really sad when there wasn't even any TTS crap in it. Is this whole allergy to Friday cliffhangers another Hogan trademark, those of you well familiar with his work, because I can't remember the last time we had a good old-fashioned cliffhanger? (I mean even when Santo was literally hanging off the cliff he was pulled up back onto the cliff before the episode ended)

Still, I agree with pretty much all of the positive things that people had to say about this epi and have a couple more things to add.

1. I love seeing Shawn in scenes that don't involve Belle or Phillip. For quite a while I've felt like Shawn was a huge turd, yet I actually found myself interested in his problems the past two days when we saw him with Max and then Hope. Yay for more family interaction and characters getting so nicely jumbled up.

2. Hooray for Kayla wearing her lab coat and stethoscope. Yay for showing someone in Salem working and a woman actually working at that!

3. I've never heard Steve call Hope "sweet thing" before that I remember. Awwwwww. That's so cute. Like I said the other day... fab four now = hope/bo/kayla/steve

4. I loved the movement and circularity of this episode where it started and ended Shawn-Hope, Belle-Philip, Steve-Kayla but in the middle of the thing it was jumbled up with Kayla-Lexie, Shawn-Belle, Hope-Steve.

Also...

Do you think today was foreshadowing day?
-I don't get why Hope was so freaked out about Shawn being a cop when she's married to one and been one herself. Is Shawn going to get seriously hurt as a cop? If so, yay, that should be good drama.
-The Lexie-Kayla stuff was interesting and while I suppose Lexie talking about the Issac adoption and Zach's death could have just been some filler extrapolation, to me it (along with the Benjy stuff) is setting up some good drama for Payla's Pocket to get ripped from her arms and possibly something bad is going to happen to Pocket too where he almost dies methinks as there was that Zach tie-in.
-So Kayla is adamant she is going to kill Stefano if something happens to Benjy, eh? Hmmmmm... does this mean Benjy will die? Kind of makes me think so.
-More hinting from Kayla today about her worry about what the DiMeras did to him... hmmmm. If this is foreshadowing them finally giving some emotional payoff to the Steve driven crazy by the DiMeras stuff, then yay, whether it is him getting revenge or slipping back under their control or uncovering what he was up to during his missing years. Any of those things will do for me. I just am glad they haven't forgotten it which I kind of thought they had when Steve came back all normal and comedic relief guy.
-"Belle's not your wife. Not yet." So is the November sweeps Shelle wedding I've been expecting going to go awry? Or are they just gonna have Belle make out with Phillip and lead him on some more before running back to Shawn like always? Hmmm.
-Kayla and Steve are sooooooooooo having a kid when Pocket gets taken away from them.

p.s. Jean. I totally understand your concerns about the implausibility of the Steve-Kayla story and I can say I missed their original run and since they got back I pretty much loathed them, especially during that One Flew Over a Payla's Nest story.

The thing is... they've sucked me in with this Pocket story and having them actually involved in the feud because I feel like it's giving their previous run-ins with the DiMeras some closure and also because I refuse to hold anything a character did from Jan-April against that character because everything back then was a mess.

But I respect your opinion on this even if I don't share it.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Um, I'm going to HURT somebody if Stayla lose Pocket! Screw them having a baby after "losing" Pocket. They're going to KEEP that baby! They deserve it!
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

cassie1013
Aug 31 2007, 02:30 AM
Quote:

But unlike all of you, I didn't find anything all that special in Santo/Stefano scenes. Maybe simply because I didn't like James Scott playing Santo in those scenes. I haven't watched in a while, but did Santo die this young? Cause that would be the only reason why Stefano would see his father in his hallucination at that age... wouldn't Stefano otherwise see Santo as a much older man? That really bothered me in those scenes.. Joe did a good job.

See, that's the thing. If he's in Heaven, the theory is that angels look PERFECT, at their best and most youthful. No illness, no scars from the world they came from.

So, IF Santo was an angel, then I can buy his looking like HOT-ASS young Santo.
Quote Post Goto Top

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

JERSoapsFan
Sep 1 2007, 12:18 AM
Um, I'm going to HURT somebody if Stayla lose Pocket! Screw them having a baby after "losing" Pocket. They're going to KEEP that baby! They deserve it!

I agree with you on that. Its nice to see them raising a child, are they are doing well with Pocket Man.

DaysFanJean
Member Avatar

Thankfully we know that the baby is with them temporarily as it was said so in the spoilers so no one would decide that Philip should lose this child, too. How cruel. Kayla wants her own baby anyway or if they adopt, to adopt an older child.

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

After Friday's episode, I won't be watching again for at least another month. I nearly fell asleep.

Mason
Member Avatar

JERSoapsFan
Aug 31 2007, 11:18 PM

Oh, God, no! I cannot deal with that poor boy being referred to as "Pocket" any longer than I have to! Worst "name" EVER. And that's saying a lot considering all the crappy names the writers have come up with in the last few years.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

I disliked the name at first, but its unique, and I enjoy it in the context that Steve uses it.

DaysFanJean
Member Avatar

Just to be nasty, I can't abide anything Steve comes up with....so there LOL. I love Stephen Nichols though. Just think his character is loathsome and childish (which is very dangerous in an adult male).

Pocket is pathetic. It's not a human nickname except maybe for a 5 or 6 year old boy who stuffs everything into his pocket. Not a baby boy.

I'm wondering if this is pimping the big JKJ and BB storyline for the Fall.

Mason
Member Avatar

I just hope when Philip finally does figure out that PantsHole is his kid, Steve and Kayla don't go on the run with him. We don't need another round of that!

DaysFanJean
Member Avatar

Oh, please, perish the thought. Boy/Man Steve who only knows to satisfy his every childish whim will probably decide that is just the thing to do. Sad. Frankly, I don't want to see this and hope it isn't going there.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

Mason AKA Hogan
Sep 1 2007, 09:04 PM
I just hope when Philip finally does figure out that PantsHole is his kid, Steve and Kayla don't go on the run with him. We don't need another round of that!

I hope they don't that, too! I would rather like to see Pocket become attached to the Johnson's by then, and want to be with them.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply