Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days: Matt Ashford to return?
Topic Started: Aug 27 2007, 01:19 PM (1,977 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kevc1980
Aug 27 2007, 06:06 PM
Mason AKA Hogan
Aug 27 2007, 05:57 PM
Good point, Kevc. What DAYS needs to do first is weed out all the dead weight (i.e. Jett, Jeremy, Stephanie, etc.) before bringing anyone back.

I agree Jett should only be a short term character, and should be gone after a few more months of coming between Nick and Chelsea..But i really don't think Jeremy and Stephanie should leave..I think Hogan just needs to fix the writing for these two, and Ed Scott needs to give them some coaching, and we could get some good stuff from them..Plus they both have strong ties to the main families on Days..

And like it or not, Days does need characters from every generation for the show to survive..

Great post!!

Too bad the fanbasers don't agree. They don't realize that we need to build a younger generation. The problem is the show shoves them down fans' throats and turns them off to these characters.

I think bringing Jack back would help get some backburnered characters from airtime. Billie could get involved with him and we could see more of Adrienne. I read something about John Aniston not wanting to work for some reason. I will try to find the link and I am not sure how true it is.

I agree Days needs to utilize who they have but Jack should still be here. Days needs a character, or characters, like J&J. They have a purpose right now, more then they did a year ago IMO.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I don't want to see Matthew Ashford return only to be used twice a month, ala Deidre Hall, Drake Hogestyn, Susan Seaforth Hayes, Bill Hayes, Julie Pinson, etc. And that's what I think will happen if they bring him back right now. I mean, yeah we'd probably have a Johnson family reunion, but afterwards, they would all go back under the woodwork so that the main characters (Sami, EJ, Lucas, Chelsea, Nick, etc.) can be seen.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I don't know why they'd bring him back. No offense intended, but the last thing they need is another pissed off fanbase or more complaints that they're destroying a character.

Still, if they do I'd rather they keep Jack and Jen together, with her just off-screen, and have him in a supporting role for awhile exploring him on his own.

Mason
Member Avatar

I have no problem with the younger generation. It's when they're poorly written characters played by subpar actors who are shoved in our faces at the expense of our favorite vets that I have a problem. If we must keep Jeremy and Stephanie, then they must be recast, IMO.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Mason AKA Hogan
Aug 27 2007, 09:04 PM
I have no problem with the younger generation. It's when they're poorly written characters played by subpar actors who are shoved in our faces at the expense of our favorite vets that I have a problem. If we must keep Jeremy and Stephanie, then they must be recast, IMO.

I agree about Stephanie, not so much Jeremy. I'm getting into Trevor Donovan as Jeremy more and more each time he is shown. I have no interest in Shelley Henning as Stephanie, and I honestly think I never will.

It's just such a shame that the younger characters are being portrayed the way they are because I had such hope last fall, and couldn't wait for summer to get here because I wanted to see the younger characters. But that was when Abby was there, and Shayna Rose was still in the role of Stephanie. Right now, I could care less about the younger characters.

sungrey

px780
Aug 27 2007, 08:04 PM
I don't know why they'd bring him back. No offense intended, but the last thing they need is another pissed off fanbase or more complaints that they're destroying a character.

Still, if they do I'd rather they keep Jack and Jen together, with her just off-screen, and have him in a supporting role for awhile exploring him on his own.

Exactly. It's what they're doing with Adrienne... Justin's in Dallas with the kids. JEL's not contract anyway, so she could go back and forth and eventually leave Patch in charge of the Cheatin Heart.

It can be done. I wouldn't like seeing Jack without Jen, if only because it'd piss off one group who'd stop watching (and lower ratings is NOT what Days needs).

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I suppose they could do what they what they are doing with Adrienne with Jack but I find that annoying. I mean, only now is she mentioning Justin. I wish Justin would make an appearance just for the hell of it.

However, if they did that with Jack, the J&J fanbase would hate it so I think that idea would be a no go.

DaysFanJean
Member Avatar

I'd love for Jack to return for a story...and absolutely sans a Jen millstone. Let him fly like only Matt can. Also, why tie him down with his in-your-face, bossy, holier than thou daughter. No Abby either.

If days doesn't want to kill off Jennifer, then they could write her going back to Frankie.

Jack could spice up this show (get rid of Drake and bring on Matt).

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Poor Renee Jones.

Doesn't anyone besides me even remember that Lexie is backburnered? It sure doesn't seem like it the way she is never mentioned. *sigh*

I also hate how them not using Lexie any more also means we don't get to see Celeste at all. Or are we supposed to think she is in hiding because of that bogus voodoo paternity test?

Mason
Member Avatar

I thought Judi Evans had been put on contract?

I hate Lexie's backburnering too, IMA, but she's definitely not alone. There are plenty of others in the same boat with her.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

DaysFanJean
Aug 27 2007, 09:53 PM

Jack could spice up this show (get rid of Drake and bring on Matt).

I couldn't agree more.

Jack is a very free spirited, lively person! He adds a lot of fun to the show.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

IMissAremid
Aug 27 2007, 06:56 PM
I also hate how them not using Lexie any more also means we don't get to see Celeste at all. Or are we supposed to think she is in hiding because of that bogus voodoo paternity test?

Eh, I'm still waiting to know why she channeled the dead if they weren't dead, or how Lexie didn't lose her license for mistaking dead for alive, like, 10 times. Waiting in theory of course, not literally.

Lexie's a dead character at this point, I'd say. They have to keep those actors around to pretend to have diversity and whatnot, and now that I've accepted that that's all they're prepared to do I'm kind of ok with that.

I think the J/J fanbase will hate anything they give Jack to do, so I'm still not quite getting why it would be good to have him around. They've crappified enough at this point, imho. I'd rather hang onto my positive memories of Jack from the past, both as Ashford in parts of his last time around and from back when Mark Valley played the role.

DaysFanJean
Member Avatar

So, let them break up and become Jack fans and/or Jen fans and honor the fact that they are separate people and not welded together at the brain and hip....good grief.

Now, I like couples, but if one quit to live a normal life, I'd not want to bury the other. Same in real life. If one dies you don't bury the other. Cruel.

Days4Life
Unregistered

The fanbases can't be allowed to hold DAYS hostage. Matt Ashford and the character of Jack have a lot of fans who would love to have him back, with or without Jennifer. They could bring him back, concoct some story about once again he let work take over his life and Jennifer left him (again). Leave him on his own for awhile but begin developing his friendship with Billie, who understands becoming immersed in one's job because she's building her own security company. Jack could even work with her as an investigator. Then, slowly, their relationship could become a romantic one. MA and JP have great chemistry and could be an outstanding NEW couple.
Quote Post Goto Top

Sephora
Unregistered

Days4Life
Aug 28 2007, 09:29 AM
The fanbases can't be allowed to hold DAYS hostage. Matt Ashford and the character of Jack have a lot of fans who would love to have him back, with or without Jennifer. They could bring him back, concoct some story about once again he let work take over his life and Jennifer left him (again). Leave him on his own for awhile but begin developing his friendship with Billie, who understands becoming immersed in one's job because she's building her own security company. Jack could even work with her as an investigator. Then, slowly, their relationship could become a romantic one. MA and JP have great chemistry and could be an outstanding NEW couple.

But that's what Wyman did for his entire tenure. Matt left because Missy did. Matt came back because Missy did and their fan base wouldn't accept her with anyone they tried. Not Colin, not Brandon, not Patrick. It is completely beyond my comprehension how that fanbase has done this successfully so many times make it all about J/J or nothing. I was never a fan of J/J. I'd be interest to see if Jack could come back and be without Jenn. I wonder if Ed Scott can stand up to that fanbase and make them sit down, shut up, and just watch.
Quote Post Goto Top

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

Sephora
Aug 28 2007, 09:59 AM
Days4Life
The fanbases can't be allowed to hold DAYS hostage.  Matt Ashford and the character of Jack have a lot of fans who would love to have him back, with or without Jennifer.  They could bring him back, concoct some story about once again he let work take over his life and Jennifer left him (again).  Leave him on his own for awhile but begin developing his friendship with Billie, who understands becoming immersed in one's job because she's building her own security company.  Jack could even work with her as an investigator.  Then, slowly, their relationship could become a romantic one.  MA and JP have great chemistry and could be an outstanding NEW couple.

But that's what Wyman did for his entire tenure. Matt left because Missy did. Matt came back because Missy did and their fan base wouldn't accept her with anyone they tried. Not Colin, not Brandon, not Patrick. It is completely beyond my comprehension how that fanbase has done this successfully so many times make it all about J/J or nothing. I was never a fan of J/J. I'd be interest to see if Jack could come back and be without Jenn. I wonder if Ed Scott can stand up to that fanbase and make them sit down, shut up, and just watch.

I hope Scott can make ALL the fanbases sit down and shut up! Lots of luck here :lol:
Are there posters amongst you all that can remember back when Jack first came on the scene? What a different direction his character has taken over the past few incarnations. He became someone completely different after they paired him with Jennifer. I did like them together at the beginning, but then the writers made him a caricature. They took away any edge he had and I never liked what he had become. We saw glimpses of his old self when he was interacting with Steve when he first came back and I had hopes of Jack being involved with finding out what really happened to Steve. I wanted the two of them to find out how Steve went from being "killed" by Lawrence Alamain to being brainwashed by the Dimeras! That'll never happen either. If he was to come back I would prefer him alone to interact with Steve and Adrianne.

Sephora
Unregistered

ArizonaDaze
Aug 28 2007, 01:04 PM
Sephora
Aug 28 2007, 09:59 AM
Days4Life
The fanbases can't be allowed to hold DAYS hostage.  Matt Ashford and the character of Jack have a lot of fans who would love to have him back, with or without Jennifer.  They could bring him back, concoct some story about once again he let work take over his life and Jennifer left him (again).  Leave him on his own for awhile but begin developing his friendship with Billie, who understands becoming immersed in one's job because she's building her own security company.  Jack could even work with her as an investigator.  Then, slowly, their relationship could become a romantic one.  MA and JP have great chemistry and could be an outstanding NEW couple.

I hope Scott can make ALL the fanbases sit down and shut up! Lots of luck here :lol:
Are there posters amongst you all that can remember back when Jack first came on the scene? What a different direction his character has taken over the past few incarnations. He became someone completely different after they paired him with Jennifer. I did like them together at the beginning, but then the writers made him a caricature. They took away any edge he had and I never liked what he had become. We saw glimpses of his old self when he was interacting with Steve when he first came back and I had hopes of Jack being involved with finding out what really happened to Steve. I wanted the two of them to find out how Steve went from being "killed" by Lawrence Alamain to being brainwashed by the Dimeras! That'll never happen either. If he was to come back I would prefer him alone to interact with Steve and Adrianne.

I was around with the original Jack ~ Harper Deveraux's SON. He was edgy and interesting. Then eventually Matt took over, they paired him with Jenn and he because pretty much a wimp or as you say caricature. What finally made me say "no more" to Jack and Jenn was the Universal Studios stunt show wedding. That was it, I was done. I'm not a big fan of cartoon stooges in my soaps. That's, sadly, what they reduced Jack to. This last run of "dead/not dead" was far too much. If he comes back, he needs to come back alone and that includes not bringing his whiney brat of a daughter with him.

That said ~ Days needs to get over the supercouple thing all together. Yes, I love EJami right now. But I loved Sami with Brandon. John with Kate. Marlena with Don. Tony with Renee. Tony with Anna. Anna with Roman. Mix it up for god's sake and quit keeping couples on a treadmill for 15 years. Shelle is so over, why do they keep trying? They met as teenagers in middle school. They're supposedly grown adults. Move on.

Other shows successfully mix up their pairs. It's time Days learned how to also.

:soapbox: Off now :)
Quote Post Goto Top

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

Another good post Sephora. I like my couples but I am not opposed to mixing them up as long as we don't have another Patrick or Colin in the mix! :lol:

Mason
Member Avatar

They can toy around with different couples, as long as the characters are right. Colin, Brandon, and Patrick were all horrible choices for Jennifer. Again, I'm a big J&J fan, but I'd accept a Jack and Billie pairing if we can't get Missy to come back.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

Mason AKA Hogan
Aug 28 2007, 02:48 PM
They can toy around with different couples, as long as the characters are right. Colin, Brandon, and Patrick were all horrible choices for Jennifer. Again, I'm a big J&J fan, but I'd accept a Jack and Billie pairing if we can't get Missy to come back.

The show really pitched Jack and Jen a lot when they got back together last time. So, I'm pretty sure it would be a huge disappointment to many fans to discover that Jack and Jen have split again, and he is moving on with someone else (even if Missy refuses to return to the show). I wouldn't be able to think of any other logical explanation of why Jack would move on.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply