Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days:SOD Spoilers & News
Topic Started: Aug 29 2007, 12:16 PM (2,109 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Aug 30 2007, 12:31 AM
PhoenixRising05
Aug 30 2007, 01:05 AM
King
Aug 29 2007, 11:43 PM
I'd love it if John died! It'd be the first time DAYS shocked me in so long.

I agree. I love the vets too and, at one time, liked Drake. However, I am sick of soaps, including Days, being limited in storytelling.

"He can't go because he's a vet."

"He's got too big a fanbase to go."

"There will be mega backlash if he goes."

So? Whatever happened to taking risks. Whatever happened to doing whatever it takes to get quality drama? Sometimes difficult decisions have to be made. The drama killing John could spawn off is limitless and it would create an atmosphere at Days that anyone can go. It creates bigger suspense factor and also would put an epic touch on this story.

I know Days is in trouble and can't afford to lose fans but I honestly think the J&M fans are gone already. Days can still hold on to Marlena fans and give her a great story and, getting rid of Drake frees up a load of cash that can be used on keeping other big characters and vets. I would rather Drake go then Lauren. I would also rather see Drake go rather then seeing Suzanne and Peggy taking off contract. one heavyhitter going so others can stay or perhaps return is a good thing IMO, especially when the heavyhitter at issue here is one that tends to phone it in alot.

We'll see but I still think he is gone. The signs are there and this response is almost like a carbon copy of the responses Days used to give Matt Ashford rumors and we all know what happened there.

Okay, if that's your way of thinking, lets kill off Maggie, Caroline and Granpda Shawn in this vendetta storyline. Hell, while we're at it, just kill of Victor as well. Want to reallly shock the audience and give them something they're not expecting? Kill off Alice and Marlena too.

Drake has a longstanding history with the Dimera's so he is ripe for the picking, so to speak. Now is the perfect time to do this and do it right. That is all I am saying.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Aug 30 2007, 01:34 AM
DrewHamilton
Aug 30 2007, 12:31 AM
PhoenixRising05
Aug 30 2007, 01:05 AM
King
Aug 29 2007, 11:43 PM
I'd love it if John died! It'd be the first time DAYS shocked me in so long.

I agree. I love the vets too and, at one time, liked Drake. However, I am sick of soaps, including Days, being limited in storytelling.

"He can't go because he's a vet."

"He's got too big a fanbase to go."

"There will be mega backlash if he goes."

So? Whatever happened to taking risks. Whatever happened to doing whatever it takes to get quality drama? Sometimes difficult decisions have to be made. The drama killing John could spawn off is limitless and it would create an atmosphere at Days that anyone can go. It creates bigger suspense factor and also would put an epic touch on this story.

I know Days is in trouble and can't afford to lose fans but I honestly think the J&M fans are gone already. Days can still hold on to Marlena fans and give her a great story and, getting rid of Drake frees up a load of cash that can be used on keeping other big characters and vets. I would rather Drake go then Lauren. I would also rather see Drake go rather then seeing Suzanne and Peggy taking off contract. one heavyhitter going so others can stay or perhaps return is a good thing IMO, especially when the heavyhitter at issue here is one that tends to phone it in alot.

We'll see but I still think he is gone. The signs are there and this response is almost like a carbon copy of the responses Days used to give Matt Ashford rumors and we all know what happened there.

Okay, if that's your way of thinking, lets kill off Maggie, Caroline and Granpda Shawn in this vendetta storyline. Hell, while we're at it, just kill of Victor as well. Want to reallly shock the audience and give them something they're not expecting? Kill off Alice and Marlena too.

Drake has a longstanding history with the Dimera's so he is ripe for the picking, so to speak. Now is the perfect time to do this and do it right. That is all I am saying.

I disagree. John and Marlena are the biggest thing about DAYS, sadly this is true. It shouldn't be as no show should be solely based on one couple, but that's how things are. Unless Drake leaves on his own, Corday would be committing the show's murder if he releases Drake.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

I don't agree that J&M are the biggest thing about DAYS. Yes, they have a lot of fans, but I think they may also have more people that DO NOT like them than most of the other vets on the show. Also, the show obviously doesn't feel that way since neither of them have been on much in quite some time. Even way before the coma and all the crap, they both had a big long break and were not on. It seems like they are kind of fizzling them out.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Angie79
Aug 30 2007, 01:00 AM
I don't agree that J&M are the biggest thing about DAYS. Yes, they have a lot of fans, but I think they may also have more people that DO NOT like them than most of the other vets on the show. Also, the show obviously doesn't feel that way since neither of them have been on much in quite some time. Even way before the coma and all the crap, they both had a big long break and were not on. It seems like they are kind of fizzling them out.

This I absolutely agree with. And I find myself agreeing with a lot that you say in this thread, Angie.

First of all, I don't want DOOL to fire Drake just because I think it has a better chance of getting picked up by another network with Drake and Dee still attached and I worry about a fan backlash sinking ratings further if Drake has a real messy exit. So I am not like going to do cartwheels if he is fired even if I do not really care about John as a character anymore and find that whatever sentimental feelings I had about him on this show have faded away and John and Marlena have pretty much sickened me every time they've been on screen together since John got out of the coma. If done well I could totally get behind a great dramatic exit for John Black that gives Marlena a big story. But like I said... I worry about him leaving too so I'm not going to cheerlead for his exit.

I have to say though I really disagree with the assertion that John and Marlena are the biggest thing about Days. This was true throughout the 90s and into some of the 00s, but I don't think this is the case at all now and it hasn't been since the Alex North storyline debacle. I know that storyline soured ME on John and Marlena pretty much irrevocably, especially after Melaswen. I just stopped caring about those two and even after they had some nice Italy scenes last fall, they've just been boring ever since. I have gotten used to this show not having John and Marlena this past year, just like I was used to it last summer. And you know who I do think are the biggest thing about Days? Bo and Hope.

Do you know anyone who hates Bo and Hope? Do these people exist? Because I sure don't see them posting much. I know plenty of people who hate John and Marlena, hate EJ and Sami, hate Lucas and Sami, hate Shawn and Belle, hate Phillip and Belle, hate Steve and Kayla, hate Max and Stephanie, hate Jeremy and Stephanie, hate Jett and Chelsea, hate Nick and Chelsea, etc... But Bo and Hope? I don't even think Billie fans hate them at this point now that they are all friends.

Last summer John and Marlena were not on and ratings did fine. Yeah they came back some last fall but still they didn't dominate. But what did we always have a lot of? We had Bo and Hope in a big story at the center of things trying to find their way back to each other.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Angie79

Exactly and, if you look at it, they have been pushing them aside for a long time. With the exception of the SSK story, J&M have had no story TOGETHER. When both has had a story, they were usually with other people. It always seemed like they were trying to strike gold with a new pairing for John. He had the Gina/Hope thing and the Kate thing. John actually had alot more story then Marlena until the SSK story. It just seems like Days has been down on them together for some time. Looking back on it, they were better when they were fighting their feelings for each other and were pining for each other. They seemed to go downhill when they got married.

Hogan gave fans some stuff with them together and even that, in many ways, didn't satisfy their fans. I think pleasing the J&M fanbase is impossible and I think many have given up anyway after years of being burned, just like many J&J fans didn't even come back for the great stuff they had before leaving. Last summer, they were backburnered the whole summer and the ratings were fine. I just think their magic is over and that they have no effect on numbers anymore. I used to be a big fan of J&M but John is bringing her down IMO and I find myself loving her without him.

No one person should be bigger then the show. Yes, the show has it's heavyhitters but no one is THE show. I just think Days needs to take a risk for the sake of story and this is the perfect one.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

IMissAremid
Aug 30 2007, 01:15 AM
Angie79

This I absolutely agree with. And I find myself agreeing with a lot that you say in this thread, Angie.

First of all, I don't want DOOL to fire Drake just because I think it has a better chance of getting picked up by another network with Drake and Dee still attached and I worry about a fan backlash sinking ratings further if Drake has a real messy exit. So I am not like going to do cartwheels if he is fired even if I do not really care about John as a character anymore and find that whatever sentimental feelings I had about him on this show have faded away and John and Marlena have pretty much sickened me every time they've been on screen together since John got out of the coma. If done well I could totally get behind a great dramatic exit for John Black that gives Marlena a big story. But like I said... I worry about him leaving too so I'm not going to cheerlead for his exit.

I have to say though I really disagree with the assertion that John and Marlena are the biggest thing about Days. This was true throughout the 90s and into some of the 00s, but I don't think this is the case at all now and it hasn't been since the Alex North storyline debacle. I know that storyline soured ME on John and Marlena pretty much irrevocably, especially after Melaswen. I just stopped caring about those two and even after they had some nice Italy scenes last fall, they've just been boring ever since. I have gotten used to this show not having John and Marlena this past year, just like I was used to it last summer. And you know who I do think are the biggest thing about Days? Bo and Hope.

Do you know anyone who hates Bo and Hope? Do these people exist? Because I sure don't see them posting much. I know plenty of people who hate John and Marlena, hate EJ and Sami, hate Lucas and Sami, hate Shawn and Belle, hate Phillip and Belle, hate Steve and Kayla, hate Max and Stephanie, hate Jeremy and Stephanie, hate Jett and Chelsea, hate Nick and Chelsea, etc... But Bo and Hope? I don't even think Billie fans hate them at this point now that they are all friends.

Last summer John and Marlena were not on and ratings did fine. Yeah they came back some last fall but still they didn't dominate. But what did we always have a lot of? We had Bo and Hope in a big story at the center of things trying to find their way back to each other.

Great post.

Bope still have it and both actors give it their all. Their magic is still there but I still don't think they are THE show. The show is the show. Bope are part of the heart and soul of it though. Everyone on the show makes up the show IMO though. No one person is bigger then the other and that is the way it should be.

Deleted User
Deleted User

You know, I have to side with those who say Drake's exit wouldn't make that much of an impact. I mean, look at the ratings. 2.0, on a good week, lol. Back during the possession, what were they? 7.0 high or something crazy like that? Probably 6. At any rate, the point is, MILLIONS of fans have fled since then. And what's more, Jarlena haven't had a story in a while. And it seems like they're only on about three times a month now. If they're on more, that shows how insignificant they've become; I can't even remember how long they're on! :lol: The point is, the diehards already tuned out because they're not going to put up with such little representation. And if the show can score a 2.0 without 'em (and it has); and the budget is less burdened without 'em (well, drake, keep Dee), then I don't think it will HURT the show, financially or otherwise.
Quote Post Goto Top

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

IMissAremid
Aug 30 2007, 01:15 AM
Angie79

Well said. I agree with all of that.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

I'd just like to see the bleeding stop.

DAYS is down to a 2.0-2.1 which is horrible and sad no matter how you spin it.

Sure we have the Brady/DiMera fued, but the reading of letters and flaskbacks of Coleen and Santos have gotten so boring most are turning the channel.

Then you have John, Marlena, Hope, Doug, Julie who are nothing more that glorified extras. Abe, Lexie, Caroline, Maggie, Shawn, Victor are seldom ever on.

Jeremy, Jett, Max, Stephanie, Chelsea and Nick are front burner, and all those viewers that left from Jan-April ain't going to come back when it's the same old crap.

However, this is typical Hogan Sheffer. He writes for half of the cast for about 6 months and then after those storylines are over he writes for the other half while neglecting most of the others. I've seen it to much at ATWT. Man doesn't know how to balance his cast.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

Rick
Aug 30 2007, 03:21 AM
However, this is typical Hogan Sheffer. He writes for half of the cast for about 6 months and then after those storylines are over he writes for the other half while neglecting most of the others. I've seen it to much at ATWT. Man doesn't know how to balance his cast.

I agree. It comes down to an issue of balance. I also find that the cast list for DAYS is incredibly massive. I don't watch many other soaps as consistently, so I don't if compared to others, DAYS does have a lot more characters?!

KMan101
Member Avatar

Drake's no safer than any of them. Peter, Kristian and Deidre are probably the three most safe, but even then ... Drake hasn't had a story in almost a year. Period. Hogan has no interest in using him. He's probably been kept this long because of fan outrage and loyalty.

I don't wish losing a job on anyone, but the fact is, if they HAD to cut a vet, Drake makes the most sense. Sorry. Of course, some consider Patch and Kayla dead weight, but I personally love every second of them. I like Drake and John, I admit, but the poor guy hasn't been used in almost a year.

And I'm also really pissed Deidre and Marlena aren't being used more. SHE should be in Stefano's face. SHE should be the one waving a gun in his face. It's insane how she isn't being used in this.

KMan101
Member Avatar

And I agree, if Bo and Hope were cut, it'd be the biggest gaping hole. THEY have been the driving force since the 1980s, almost non-stop, except for the brief period that Kristian and Peter were gone, and even then, in 1992 they recast with Robert Kelker Kelly and brought Kristian back in '94. Reckell in '95. Since then, they have never come off the front burner except for a small period of time earlier this year.

Ridge
Member Avatar

DAYS has lied about so many things before, particularly actors exits. I think this is believable and probably most plausible that he has been indeed let go LOL. Something like this was mentioned right before he went into never never land for months so lets see.

Manny
Member Avatar

I would say kill John. BUT you don't kill a major character just for shocks. You have to use that death to do some very good stuff. First off, you have to have a great lead in to his death. Then the great scenes of his death and later you have to have awesome post-death scenes with characters that are left behind. PLUS you have to have OTHER storylines exciting as well, because you would want people who were maybe fans of that dying character (or people that don't usually watch, but tuned in for the death of the character) to see that other stories are exciting too and stick with new storylines even after the character has passed away.

BUT if DAYS continues using Jett/Jeremy/nonStephanie crap as practically the only storyline not related to Vendetta storyline, I don't see John's death benefiting DAYS at all.

ilovemydays

I was under the impression that Drake and Marlena both renegotiated for shorter contracts at their last re-signing. If DAYS and/or the actors are unable to come to an agreement at the next negotiation period then they will not be fired. It will be viewed as a mutual parting of the ways.

If I remember correctly Drake mentioned something along the lines that suggested that DAYS might not be in the position to be able to make him an offer and that there were a lot of things to consider.

Sephora
Unregistered

Mason AKA Hogan
Aug 29 2007, 03:01 PM
Regardless of how you feel about Drake, you have to realize how important he is for the wellbeing of the show, particularly now of all times. They'd only be shooting themselves in the foot if they fired him.

I disagree. He was off screen all last summer and the ratings were a 2.7. He and Marlena/De come back and they have done nothing to improve the ratings. Their scenes are horrid and I FF through most of them.
Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Sephora
Aug 30 2007, 09:36 AM
Mason AKA Hogan
Regardless of how you feel about Drake, you have to realize how important he is for the wellbeing of the show, particularly now of all times. They'd only be shooting themselves in the foot if they fired him.

I disagree. He was off screen all last summer and the ratings were a 2.7. He and Marlena/De come back and they have done nothing to improve the ratings. Their scenes are horrid and I FF through most of them.

The show was in a whole different state last summer. So you cannot use last summer's ratings to prove that point. I mean, IMO, the show is a lot better now than it was last summer, and it's still lower in the ratings. I blame Jeff Zucker's comment about DAYS possibly not being renewed after 2009, and that is why a lot of people pulled out. And it's not like it was a comment that only internet fans heard. This was posted in actual publications that most of the country reads. Fans that are not on the interent, they read this and they don't know that Corday and Sony are taking steps to keep the show on the air. They don't know that Ed Scott was just hired. Hell, they don't even know who Ed Scott is. A lot of DAYS fans are not on the interent, so they don't know what we do. They probably pulled out and aren't coming back.

Sephora
Unregistered

DrewHamilton
Aug 30 2007, 10:34 AM
Sephora
Mason AKA Hogan

The show was in a whole different state last summer. So you cannot use last summer's ratings to prove that point. I mean, IMO, the show is a lot better now than it was last summer, and it's still lower in the ratings. I blame Jeff Zucker's comment about DAYS possibly not being renewed after 2009, and that is why a lot of people pulled out. And it's not like it was a comment that only internet fans heard. This was posted in actual publications that most of the country reads. Fans that are not on the interent, they read this and they don't know that Corday and Sony are taking steps to keep the show on the air. They don't know that Ed Scott was just hired. Hell, they don't even know who Ed Scott is. A lot of DAYS fans are not on the interent, so they don't know what we do. They probably pulled out and aren't coming back.

Of course I can (in regards to the bold part). The show was better and the ratings were higher. In your opinion the show is better. In my opinion until the LUMI marriage is ended, TTS is off the air, and more respect is shown to women, the show will not better not in the least. There is major work to be done to recover from all the ills Hogan has done.

I also think you don't give people enough credit. It wasn't the internet that saved Jericho, it was word of mouth fans that sent all those peanuts to the studio. And people don't just "give up" just because one network says a show is over. Several successful shows have switched networks and their original network in the end was kicking themselves. And you know which network it's happened to most? NBC. They dumped both JAG and Baywatch and both went on to be very successful in Prime Time and in reruns. Baywatch is still seen all over the world and NBC has no piece of the pie. JAG is still shown every day in syndication and NBC has no piece of that pie either.

Fans have left because the show was going down a big stink hole. Fans will come back if the show ever decides to improve. They didn't leave because of Jeff Zuckers comments, they left because Hogan's writing SUCKS.
Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Sephora
Aug 30 2007, 10:50 AM
DrewHamilton
Sephora
Mason AKA Hogan

Of course I can (in regards to the bold part). The show was better and the ratings were higher. In your opinion the show is better. In my opinion until the LUMI marriage is ended, TTS is off the air, and more respect is shown to women, the show will not better not in the least. There is major work to be done to recover from all the ills Hogan has done.

I also think you don't give people enough credit. It wasn't the internet that saved Jericho, it was word of mouth fans that sent all those peanuts to the studio. And people don't just "give up" just because one network says a show is over. Several successful shows have switched networks and their original network in the end was kicking themselves. And you know which network it's happened to most? NBC. They dumped both JAG and Baywatch and both went on to be very successful in Prime Time and in reruns. Baywatch is still seen all over the world and NBC has no piece of the pie. JAG is still shown every day in syndication and NBC has no piece of that pie either.

Fans have left because the show was going down a big stink hole. Fans will come back if the show ever decides to improve. They didn't leave because of Jeff Zuckers comments, they left because Hogan's writing SUCKS.

I'm sorry, but I refuse to believe that fans are giving up on Hogan because of his writing. I mean, these are the same fans that stuck around through Reilly's second tenure. That doesn't make any sense. Hogan is one hell of a better writer than Reilly in all ways that count.

And when I said you can't use last year's ratings to compare, because all of daytime ratings are down. When DAYS has that 2.7 last summer, they were in 5th or 4th place I believe. Where are they now? They're not that far from being in 5th place again. I'm not saying that 5th place is a good thing, but it's where they were last summer. To me, that 2.7 doesn't mean much to me, because even GH, who's usually in 3rd place, can't even reach a 2.7. And they're in third place!

That is why last summer's ratings mean shit to me. :)

Days4Life
Unregistered

Sephora
Aug 30 2007, 09:50 AM
DrewHamilton
Sephora
Mason AKA Hogan

I have a tendency to agree with you. As a fan of DAYS, I wouldn't let Zucker's comments keep me from watching, even if I did believe the end is coming in 2009. I think the #1 reason for the ratings drop is the bad stories and horrible balance we saw from January through April. Fans left in droves and so far haven't come back. I mean...we had one whole episode during that time that was devoted to Nick and Chelsea discussing whether or not she was a virgin. Really riveting stuff. The show was simply bad and didn't even feel like DAYS any more, so a lot of fans tuned out. Until they are confident the show is improving, they won't come back. Some probably NEVER will, but I think that doesn't hold true for everyone. I have friends and my sisters who have told me to let them know whenever the show is good again, and they will tune in. So while Zucker's comments didn't help, I think some people are giving him too much credit. And if the show does jump networks, I think fans can/will follow. People don't watch DAYS just because it's on NBC; who has that kind of network loyalty?

As for the possible demise of John Black, I have mixed feelings. It's always sad to lose a longtime character, but over the last five years I've lost a lot of interest in John. In the 90s he was an important and interesting character; now...I don't care so much. Maybe because he's been rewritten so many times, maybe because he's not had a great story in a long time, maybe because DAYS has several actors who are more talented and more appealing...I don't know the reason, but I don't think I'd miss him much. Yes, if he goes DAYS may lose some of that fervent J/M fanbase, but they are never happy anyway and their negativity does nothing to help the show. The sane, normal fanbase (which I believe is the majority) will probably be sad but will hopefully keep watching anyway and get invested in the rest of the show. Because really, John and Marlena haven't done much since the SSK story anyway. If Drake leaves, it would be sad, though; I have had favorites leave and it was very depressing and upsetting. I hope if this happens Marlena stays and gets a good, emotional story out of it. Her loss would be much worse than John's; however, I do feel that the HUGE impact to DAYS would be if they ever lose Bo and Hope. They have become the heart and soul of DAYS, IMHO.
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply