Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days:SOD Spoilers & News
Topic Started: Aug 29 2007, 12:16 PM (2,002 Views)
Sephora
Unregistered

DrewHamilton
Aug 30 2007, 11:05 AM
I'm sorry, but I refuse to believe that fans are giving up on Hogan because of his writing. I mean, these are the same fans that stuck around through Reilly's second tenure. That doesn't make any sense. Hogan is one hell of a better writer than Reilly in all ways that count.

And when I said you can't use last year's ratings to compare, because all of daytime ratings are down. When DAYS has that 2.7 last summer, they were in 5th or 4th place I believe. Where are they now? They're not that far from being in 5th place again. I'm not saying that 5th place is a good thing, but it's where they were last summer. To me, that 2.7 doesn't mean much to me, because even GH, who's usually in 3rd place, can't even reach a 2.7. And they're in third place!

That is why last summer's ratings mean shit to me. :)

Hogan is the worst writer I've endured EVER. His writing is like Swiss cheese, he's a woman hater, his repeated rescue me stories are older than dirt and they keep happening two and three times a week. And lets not even talk about the December 29th episode. He's horrid. He is undoubtedly, in my opinion, the worst writer Days has ever hired.

I'm curious though, "in all ways that count," what exactly does that mean? I haven't seen anything to support that statement. I'd love for you to elaborate. Days was in 3rd last summer and 4th a little. Now it's in 8th just above Passions most weeks. So I indeed can count ratings and evidence such as Days being essentially kicked to the curb on SoapNet by being given a midnight to 5 am slot for their weekly marathon. Replaced by reruns of 90210.
Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Sephora
Aug 30 2007, 11:37 AM
DrewHamilton
I'm sorry, but I refuse to believe that fans are giving up on Hogan because of his writing. I mean, these are the same fans that stuck around through Reilly's second tenure. That doesn't make any sense. Hogan is one hell of a better writer than Reilly in all ways that count.

And when I said you can't use last year's ratings to compare, because all of daytime ratings are down. When DAYS has that 2.7 last summer, they were in 5th or 4th place I believe. Where are they now? They're not that far from being in 5th place again. I'm not saying that 5th place is a good thing, but it's where they were last summer. To me, that 2.7 doesn't mean much to me, because even GH, who's usually in 3rd place, can't even reach a 2.7. And they're in third place!

Hogan is the worst writer I've endured EVER. His writing is like Swiss cheese, he's a woman hater, his repeated rescue me stories are older than dirt and they keep happening two and three times a week. And lets not even talk about the December 29th episode. He's horrid. He is undoubtedly, in my opinion, the worst writer Days has ever hired.

I'm curious though, "in all ways that count," what exactly does that mean? I haven't seen anything to support that statement. I'd love for you to elaborate. Days was in 3rd last summer and 4th a little. Now it's in 8th just above Passions most weeks. So I indeed can count ratings and evidence such as Days being essentially kicked to the curb on SoapNet by being given a midnight to 5 am slot for their weekly marathon. Replaced by reruns of 90210.

When I say "in all ways that count," I'm talking pacing, believable stories, fresh dialogue, no flashbacks. We're not seeing the same thing Friday that we saw Monday.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sephora
Unregistered

DrewHamilton
Aug 30 2007, 11:55 AM
Sephora
Aug 30 2007, 11:37 AM
DrewHamilton

When I say "in all ways that count," I'm talking pacing, believable stories, fresh dialogue, no flashbacks. We're not seeing the same thing Friday that we saw Monday.

Okay, we must be watching different shows and I know we have different ideas on what makes a good show. Personally, I like the flashbacks. If you don't have time to watch everyday or sit down and view with your eyes glued to the set, the occassional flashback is nice and it is done on most shows.

As to pace ~ Hogan's is HORRIFIC. It's too fast and has more holes than Swiss cheese. How does Lucas know what Santo looks like? What was his reaction? What was Sami's reaction to him finding out? What was his reaction to her wanting to hide what Santo looked like from him? These are all important to me as a viewer but Hoggie doesn't give a rats behind to plot points.

Believable? Not. Just how many times have you been locked in a refridgerator truck and saved by your wife and the man that loves her? And that leads to not seeing the same thing Monday as we did Friday. How many places can Lucas get locked in and have to be rescued from and vice versa with Sami? How many different ways can Roman get stabbed. It's a recycling merry go round. And I must mention Max being handcuffed naked in an elevator in Vegas. Apparently everyone but Hoggie knows that in all the elevators in Vegas there are security cameras. Like security wouldn't have found him and arrested him when the doors opened.

Okay, I could really go on but sufficite to say, we definitely disagree.
Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Sephora
Aug 30 2007, 12:30 PM
Okay, we must be watching different shows and I know we have different ideas on what makes a good show. Personally, I like the flashbacks. If you don't have time to watch everyday or sit down and view with your eyes glued to the set, the occassional flashback is nice and it is done on most shows.

As to pace ~ Hogan's is HORRIFIC. It's too fast and has more holes than Swiss cheese. How does Lucas know what Santo looks like? What was his reaction? What was Sami's reaction to him finding out? What was his reaction to her wanting to hide what Santo looked like from him? These are all important to me as a viewer but Hoggie doesn't give a rats behind to plot points.

Believable? Not. Just how many times have you been locked in a refridgerator truck and saved by your wife and the man that loves her? And that leads to not seeing the same thing Monday as we did Friday. How many places can Lucas get locked in and have to be rescued from and vice versa with Sami? How many different ways can Roman get stabbed. It's a recycling merry go round. And I must mention Max being handcuffed naked in an elevator in Vegas. Apparently everyone but Hoggie knows that in all the elevators in Vegas there are security cameras. Like security wouldn't have found him and arrested him when the doors opened.

Occasional flashbacks? Were you even watching when Reilly was writing? We had flashbacks in each scene, flashing back tot he act before the commercial break. I mean, I understand that some people need caught up, but that's ridiculous!

I guess Hogan just writes that the viewers assume that characters tell other characters other things. The best example of this would be Sami's pregnancy, and the viewers waiting for Marlena to find out. It took weeks, even months for the viewers to even see that Marlena acknowledged that Sami was pregnant, but when she did, she acted like she already knew. I guess it's supposed to be implied that Marlena found out off-screen. I'm not a fan of that kind of writing, but I'd rather have them implying that Marlena found out rather than when Reilly was writing, and it would take Marlena 5 months to return to Salem from being kidnapped by someone, and finding out that her daughter was pregnant.

And as for believable storylines, yes, I would believe more that I could be locked in a refrigerator or a sauna, or being stabbed, or even my car with rabid dogs (hello, Kujo?) more than I would ever believe that I was possessed by the devil or I was brainwashed into sleeping with someone else or that I killed off half of my family and friends and they wound up on an island in the middle of the Atlantic. Hogan's stories are out there, but at least it's stuff that can actually happen, and does happen to people, maybe not the amount of times it happens to those in Salem.

We do disagree on this. That's for sure.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Sephora
Aug 30 2007, 10:37 AM

Hogan is the worst writer I've endured EVER.

I wouldn't say EVER, LML and The Trashbag rate higher as "The Worst Ever" in my book....The writing on Days hasn't impressed me much since Beth Millstein left though....... <_<

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

^ Beth Milstein didn't go anywhere. She's still there. She's an associate head writer.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

DrewHamilton
Aug 30 2007, 12:27 PM
^ Beth Milstein didn't go anywhere. She's still there. She's an associate head writer.

I didn't know she was still there, I don't pay a lot of attention to the credits at the end and she's not mentioned to often anymore.....

I do know that I found Days to me more enjoyable when she was tying all of JER's stories up and etc. before Hogan got there or before his stuff started airing......

Sephora
Unregistered

DrewHamilton
Aug 30 2007, 01:01 PM
Sephora
Aug 30 2007, 12:30 PM
Okay, we must be watching different shows and I know we have different ideas on what makes a good show.  Personally, I like the flashbacks.  If you don't have time to watch everyday or sit down and view with your eyes glued to the set, the occassional flashback is nice and it is done on most shows. 

As to pace ~ Hogan's is HORRIFIC.  It's too fast and has more holes than Swiss cheese.  How does Lucas know what Santo looks like?  What was his reaction?  What was Sami's reaction to him finding out?  What was his reaction to her wanting to hide what Santo looked like from him?  These are all important to me as a viewer but Hoggie doesn't give a rats behind to plot points. 

Believable?  Not.  Just how many times have you been locked in a refridgerator truck and saved by your wife and the man that loves her?  And that leads to not seeing the same thing Monday as we did Friday.  How many places can Lucas get locked in and have to be rescued from and vice versa with Sami?  How many different ways can Roman get stabbed.  It's a recycling merry go round.  And I must mention Max being handcuffed naked in an elevator in Vegas.  Apparently everyone but Hoggie knows that in all the elevators in Vegas there are security cameras.  Like security wouldn't have found him and arrested him when the doors opened. 

Occasional flashbacks? Were you even watching when Reilly was writing? We had flashbacks in each scene, flashing back tot he act before the commercial break. I mean, I understand that some people need caught up, but that's ridiculous!

I guess Hogan just writes that the viewers assume that characters tell other characters other things. The best example of this would be Sami's pregnancy, and the viewers waiting for Marlena to find out. It took weeks, even months for the viewers to even see that Marlena acknowledged that Sami was pregnant, but when she did, she acted like she already knew. I guess it's supposed to be implied that Marlena found out off-screen. I'm not a fan of that kind of writing, but I'd rather have them implying that Marlena found out rather than when Reilly was writing, and it would take Marlena 5 months to return to Salem from being kidnapped by someone, and finding out that her daughter was pregnant.

And as for believable storylines, yes, I would believe more that I could be locked in a refrigerator or a sauna, or being stabbed, or even my car with rabid dogs (hello, Kujo?) more than I would ever believe that I was possessed by the devil or I was brainwashed into sleeping with someone else or that I killed off half of my family and friends and they wound up on an island in the middle of the Atlantic. Hogan's stories are out there, but at least it's stuff that can actually happen, and does happen to people, maybe not the amount of times it happens to those in Salem.

We do disagree on this. That's for sure.

Drew, I said I like the occassional flashback as opposed to none at all. And I've watched for 40+ years so I've watched through all of the writers' writing. An occassional flashback is a good thing, this not having any I hate. Yes, toward the end when JER was writing two shows the flashbacks got excessive, but having none is wreched.

As for Hogan assuming ~ we all know the old phrase on that one. You can call it assumptive writing, I call it Swiss cheese. Fill in the holes and quit assuming we know what happened.

I'll continue to take issue with belivability in Hoggie's writing. I see none.

As for Beth she is NOT an associate HEAD writer, she's just part of the writing team. She's essentially been stifled since Hoggie got there because people liked her and he hates women. I mean, he must hate women, look at how he writes them.

Sorry Rhiannon ~ he's definitely the #1 worst writer Days has ever had in my book.
Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Sephora
Aug 30 2007, 02:01 PM
Drew, I said I like the occassional flashback as opposed to none at all.  And I've watched for 40+ years so I've watched through all of the writers' writing.  An occassional flashback is a good thing, this not having any I hate.  Yes, toward the end when JER was writing two shows the flashbacks got excessive, but having none is wreched.

As for Hogan assuming ~ we all know the old phrase on that one.  You can call it assumptive writing, I call it Swiss cheese.  Fill in the holes and quit assuming we know what happened. 

I'll continue to take issue with belivability in Hoggie's writing.  I see none. 

As for Beth she is NOT an associate HEAD writer, she's just part of the writing team.  She's essentially been stifled since Hoggie got there because people liked her and he hates women.  I mean, he must hate women, look at how he writes them. 

Sorry Rhiannon ~ he's definitely the #1 worst writer Days has ever had in my book.

We get flashbacks every now and then. I'm glad. I wouldn't be sad if I never seen another one again, unless it's flashback to at least 3 years before. Those kind of flashbacks are fine with me. :)

As for Beth, she wasn't stifled. She was only brought in to write the show until Hogan could come in. It's not like Corday hired her and then dumped her when Hogan was available. She was an interim head writer, and Hogan allowed her to keep her job with the show. He could've been like, "Bye!" But he kept her on.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Rhiannon
Aug 30 2007, 01:52 PM
DrewHamilton
Aug 30 2007, 12:27 PM

I didn't know she was still there, I don't pay a lot of attention to the credits at the end and she's not mentioned to often anymore.....

I do know that I found Days to me more enjoyable when she was tying all of JER's stories up and etc. before Hogan got there or before his stuff started airing......

That's because we were seeing an end to all of the horrible storylines that we wanted finished. Fans felt the same way when Reilly came on in August '03. He was ending Higley's mess, and he was the next mesiah. We see how that ended.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar

Sephora
Aug 30 2007, 01:01 PM

As for Beth she is NOT an associate HEAD writer, she's just part of the writing team. She's essentially been stifled since Hoggie got there because people liked her and he hates women. I mean, he must hate women, look at how he writes them.

I don't think Hogan's been the best fit for Days either, it would be interesting to see what a Hogan/Milstein HW team could produce; because Hogan/Kelly isn't cutting it......

King
Member Avatar

Hogan's not BAD, he's just HORRIBLY MIS GUIDED! Haha. Where is you know the crew of 300 something people telling him these ideas suck? Where is his team? His support?

Whoever thought this Santeen storyline was a good idea should leave the entertainment industry immediately.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Yeah, I wouldn't have minded if Hogan chose Milstein to be his co-head writer, rather than just giving her a position on the writing staff.

Sephora
Unregistered

Drew, you like Hoggie. I hate him and think he's a waste of space in the writers room. Believe what you will about Beth, but most of us who don't like Hoggie do believe she's been stifled. At least Beth had consistancy and knew Days' history. Hoggie couldn't care less what the history of the show is and I find that and his treatment of women characters offensive.
Quote Post Goto Top

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar

King
Aug 30 2007, 01:13 PM
Hogan's not BAD, he's just HORRIBLY MIS GUIDED! Haha. Where is you know the crew of 300 something people telling him these ideas suck? Where is his team? His support?

Whoever thought this Santeen storyline was a good idea should leave the entertainment industry immediately.

I've wondered a lot lately about what Hogan would have done with Days if JER hadn't created the character of EJ in the form of James Scott......

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Sephora
Aug 30 2007, 02:14 PM
Drew, you like Hoggie. I hate him and think he's a waste of space in the writers room. Believe what you will about Beth, but most of us who don't like Hoggie do believe she's been stifled. At least Beth had consistancy and knew Days' history. Hoggie couldn't care less what the history of the show is and I find that and his treatment of women characters offensive.

It's not a matter of me liking Hogan or not. The deal was Hogan was named head writer, and Reilly left without finishing his contract. The show needed someone to write the show until Hogan came on in September. Beth was hired to write the show in July, and her stuff aired from August until October, when Hogan came on. It was known that Beth was not going to be the actual head writer. How is was she stifled? :huh:

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Rhiannon
Aug 30 2007, 02:16 PM
King
Aug 30 2007, 01:13 PM

I've wondered a lot lately about what Hogan would have done with Days if JER hadn't created the character of EJ in the form of James Scott......

Yeah, that is something to wonder about. Who would have been Hogan's cutting-edge villain? That makes me wonder if he would have tried his hardest to keep Matthew Ashford as Jack. Many ATWT fans can see a similarity in Jack and Craig Montgomery, and many were predicting that Jack would be Hogan's Craig on DAYS.

Sephora
Unregistered

DrewHamilton
Aug 30 2007, 04:01 PM
Sephora
Drew, you like Hoggie.  I hate him and think he's a waste of space in the writers room.  Believe what you will about Beth, but most of us who don't like Hoggie do believe she's been stifled.  At least Beth had consistancy and knew Days' history.  Hoggie couldn't care less what the history of the show is and I find that and his treatment of women characters offensive.

It's not a matter of me liking Hogan or not. The deal was Hogan was named head writer, and Reilly left without finishing his contract. The show needed someone to write the show until Hogan came on in September. Beth was hired to write the show in July, and her stuff aired from August until October, when Hogan came on. It was known that Beth was not going to be the actual head writer. How is was she stifled? :huh:

Reilly didn't "leave" Reilly was shown the door. There's a big difference. Reilly walked out in May, Beth immediately began writing, not sure where you heard July - September. She was actually writing from end of May to September. Hogan's first show, the beginning of the end as I prefer to call it, was October 6th.

So what if it was "known" that Beth wasn't going to be a head writer? What does that have to do with anything? The fact is she's on the writing staff but she's obviously not being listened to as Hogan has junked all her good work and made a mockery of the clean up that she did. Her plots were better, her romance was better, and she knew how to fill in the holes in the story.

Hogan sucks. Period. The man is a pig and his writing has sent this show spiralling out of control into the toilet and down to the bottom of the soap ratings world.
Quote Post Goto Top

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

I wasn't that impressed with Hogan's writing at first (especially the horrible Steve/Kayla storyline), but it is getting MUCH better now. I think the show has improved a lot over the past few weeks and going by upcoming spoilers it sounds like that is going to continue to be good and get better.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Sephora
Aug 30 2007, 04:09 PM
DrewHamilton
Aug 30 2007, 04:01 PM
Sephora
Drew, you like Hoggie.  I hate him and think he's a waste of space in the writers room.  Believe what you will about Beth, but most of us who don't like Hoggie do believe she's been stifled.  At least Beth had consistancy and knew Days' history.  Hoggie couldn't care less what the history of the show is and I find that and his treatment of women characters offensive.

Reilly didn't "leave" Reilly was shown the door. There's a big difference. Reilly walked out in May, Beth immediately began writing, not sure where you heard July - September. She was actually writing from end of May to September. Hogan's first show, the beginning of the end as I prefer to call it, was October 6th.

So what if it was "known" that Beth wasn't going to be a head writer? What does that have to do with anything? The fact is she's on the writing staff but she's obviously not being listened to as Hogan has junked all her good work and made a mockery of the clean up that she did. Her plots were better, her romance was better, and she knew how to fill in the holes in the story.

Hogan sucks. Period. The man is a pig and his writing has sent this show spiralling out of control into the toilet and down to the bottom of the soap ratings world.

No, Reilly was told he was being replaced, and could work utnil his contract expired in August. He chose to bail and left DAYS hanging. That's why the ghost writers were called in.

She wasn't writing from the end of May until September. You got your facts wrong. Kola Boof was the "ghost writer" for the show for most of what aired in the summer. Beth Milstein's first stuff didn't start airing until August 8, 2006. She wrote John and Marlena's return.

She is listed in the credits. Her name appears at the top of the other writers after Hogan and Meg Kelly. That's why I assumed she was the Associate Head Writer, which I still believe she is.

I can't say if Beth was better than Hogan or not because we didn't actually get to see her own stuff. She was ending Reilly's mess of writing, and following Hogan's outline to get the show to where it was supposed to be when he came on the fall. So to say she was a better writer, we can't really say that. She's a great team writer, which she proved. But without her own original stuff airing, it's impossible to know how she would have turned out.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply