Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: Hogestyn Out?!
Topic Started: Aug 30 2007, 09:44 AM (4,063 Views)
Mason
Member Avatar

I agree, all the new people on the writing staff is a big problem, too. We need people like Sofia Landon Geier, Peter Brash, and Anne Schoettle back.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

I don't think the problem is Meg Kelly or other writers, it's Hogan and his stories. This DiMera fued is so fricking boring, all the important character are sidelined and it's basically just to prop Sami and EJ.

I think the main problem is that he isn't inspired by the DAYS characters. Like he said on ATWT, he doesn't know how to write older characters and that's where DAYS' success lies.

I don't think Hogan is terrible, he was *okay* at ATWT and can be really good, but DAYS isn't his soap. Claire Labine was brilliant on RH, GH, LOL and various others, but she SUCKED on OLTL and GL. Not any writer can be handed any show and have success.

I wish the show would cut their loses with Hogan, but I don't see that happening. Like Lynn Latham at Y&R, he was expensive and it would probably cost a ton to fire him.

Besides, who would Ed Scott replace him with?

Deleted User
Deleted User

bellcurve
Aug 30 2007, 09:47 AM
"If you pout, you're out."

I LOVE IT!

Don't you?!!!

I swear, I'm in love with Ed just for the orange shoes and now that AMAZING quote.

Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

SteveFrame
Aug 30 2007, 03:29 PM
King, I have no faith in the articles putting to rest that Drake is fired. I still think Corday will fire him.

The thing I am happy about and the only thing that concerns me about the articles are the statements made by SOW, AS, and LK that I bolded earlier.

As far as believing that DRake is not fired - no way do I believe that. Damn Hogan or Corday could say it and I still wouldn't beleive it. These are the men that said the big 4 would be heavily involved again and that there would be no more incest. How can you believe anything that comes out of either one of their mouths.

Now if Ed Scott said it I would believe it. But as far as I am concerned Hogan and Corday have both ruined their reputation as far as telling the truth.

ETA: As far as the Drake firing. I love what AS said about Drake's reputation and being like a father to her but her other statement can be a misread of her line but she speaks in the past tense about Drake:

"we worked together for 15 years"

I did notice that and it concerns me. But as I said I am just happy to hear good press about Drake and it being pointed that the cast and crew still love him and SOW still mentions Drakes positive nature and professionalism.

HOLY CRAP! You're right! I must have missed that.

But "Sami" seems to have a Freudian slip.

That "worked" is VERY telling.

But would Ali really tell a bald-faced lie?!
Quote Post Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

JERSoapsFan
Aug 30 2007, 09:51 PM
SteveFrame
Aug 30 2007, 03:29 PM
King, I have no faith in the articles putting to rest that Drake is fired. I still think Corday will fire him.

The thing I am happy about and the only thing that concerns me about the articles are the statements made by SOW, AS, and LK that I bolded earlier.

As far as believing that DRake is not fired - no way do I believe that. Damn Hogan or Corday could say it and I still wouldn't beleive it. These are the men that said the big 4 would be heavily involved again and that there would be no more incest. How can you believe anything that comes out of either one of their mouths.

Now if Ed Scott said it I would believe it. But as far as I am concerned Hogan and Corday have both ruined their reputation as far as telling the truth.

ETA: As far as the Drake firing. I love what AS said about Drake's reputation and being like a father to her but her other statement can be a misread of her line but she speaks in the past tense about Drake:

"we worked together for 15 years"

I did notice that and it concerns me. But as I said I am just happy to hear good press about Drake and it being pointed that the cast and crew still love him and SOW still mentions Drakes positive nature and professionalism.

HOLY CRAP! You're right! I must have missed that.

But "Sami" seems to have a Freudian slip.

That "worked" is VERY telling.

But would Ali really tell a bald-faced lie?!

I always thought it was bold-faced lie. Is it bald-faced lie?

Mason
Member Avatar

I thought it was bold-faced too.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I think both bald-faced and bold-faced are acceptable.

They can replace Hogan with madlibs, as that thread shows. Entertaining has heck those were!

As to the story itself: whatever. Total PR, imho, and I can't muster up a reaction whether it's true or not. Kill John, don't kill John, flashback and make this all some kind of fantasy of John's while he's been in the coma...his presence won't make or break the show or affect show quality, so what's the big deal?

King
Member Avatar

I saw the SOW cover. It's the WHOLE cover.

I know that the soap mags are like gossip rags now, but it was really intense.

He's gone, methinks.

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

Maybe the mags know he's out and are giving the fans a chance to save his job? It can't be pure gossip if the castmates are commenting on it like it's a possibility.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Mason AKA Hogan
Aug 30 2007, 10:08 PM
I thought it was bold-faced too.

Technically (and this goes to you too, px, respectfully), "bold-faced lie" is wrong. This is my profession, I study words and their meanings for a living. (It's part of the job, that is.) I buy these books just for this reason. "Bold-faced" wrongfully caught on. It may GAIN acceptance because so many people use it, in error -- and probably believe the people saying the correct expression are wrong. But that doesn't make it "right" by any respectable standard.

Hey, did you know it's actually "champ" at the bit? Not "chomp"? That one throws a lot of people too.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Champ at the bit? LOL!

Deleted User
Deleted User

into_the_skyline
Aug 30 2007, 11:54 PM
Maybe the mags know he's out and are giving the fans a chance to save his job? It can't be pure gossip if the castmates are commenting on it like it's a possibility.

I agree.

I also agree with those who think the "Days rep" could be some college intern for all we know.

As a member of the media, I can tell you that we sometimes use generic terms, like "rep" or "officials" when either someone doesn't want to go on the record, or when we can't get the top source we so desire. Don't get me wrong, I don't use anything I can't verify or think is accurate. And I wouldn't use, professionally, or allow, content that involves some piddly "rep" or "official" commenting on a HUGE story. (In soap world, this is huge). But the soap press is different from the news press.

Bottom line: Pimply-faced Becky Jehovavich, the "Days" intern, shadowing video loggers or the control room or WHATEVER the hell she's doing, may be the "rep" who spoke to the soap press suggesting Drake's safe.

Or (to be fair), Dan Dumby, the guy who's fetching the bagels for Martha while she goes over her lines in her dressing room.
Quote Post Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

JERSoapsFan
Aug 31 2007, 12:07 AM
into_the_skyline

I agree.

I also agree with those who think the "Days rep" could be some college intern for all we know.

As a member of the media, I can tell you that we sometimes use generic terms, like "rep" or "officials" when either someone doesn't want to go on the record, or when we can't get the top source we so desire. Don't get me wrong, I don't use anything I can't verify or think is accurate. And I wouldn't use, professionally, or allow, content that involves some piddly "rep" or "official" commenting on a HUGE story. (In soap world, this is huge). But the soap press is different from the news press.

Bottom line: Pimply-faced Becky Jehovavich, the "Days" intern, shadowing video loggers or the control room or WHATEVER the hell she's doing, may be the "rep" who spoke to the soap press suggesting Drake's safe.

Or (to be fair), Dan Dumby, the guy who's fetching the bagels for Martha while she goes over her lines in her dressing room.

You work in the media, JSF? I do as well. Maybe that's why I find myself agreeing with you so often. At least I think that's part of why I can be such a word nerd who gets annoyed when dialogue doesn't ring true on these shows.

Also, I just looked this up and maybe we should be using "barefaced" rather than bold-faced OR bald-faced.

http://www.mtannoyances.com/?p=384

p.s. If this is how the rest of your Fourth Estate spends its free time, be very afraid, America. LOL.

Deleted User
Deleted User

IMissAremid
Aug 31 2007, 12:50 AM
JERSoapsFan
Aug 31 2007, 12:07 AM
into_the_skyline

I agree.

You work in the media, JSF? I do as well. Maybe that's why I find myself agreeing with you so often. At least I think that's part of why I can be such a word nerd who gets annoyed when dialogue doesn't ring true on these shows.

Also, I just looked this up and maybe we should be using "barefaced" rather than bold-faced OR bald-faced.

http://www.mtannoyances.com/?p=384

p.s. If this is how the rest of your Fourth Estate spends its free time, be very afraid, America. LOL.

See, this is why my job sort of sucks, lol. Right when I think I know it all (or most of it), something shakes my world from EVERY point around me. I'm shocked that they OK "bold-faced." But then, is that an official source? To be honest, I'm concerned about whether to trust "Tim's blog." At any rate, if he knows his stuff, then Americans use American Heritage and Webster; leave Oxford to the Englishmen. So that can (in my wishful mind) rule out "barefaced." Still, I'm just speechless (when thinking about directly responding) about the "bold-faced" approval. It just shocks me to my core!
Quote Post Goto Top

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Now I feel bad for Drake, because this thread is way more interesting having segued to etymology (that was an awesome link- thanks!). And it should be filled with outrage over his possible ouster, to be best for him, not shock about the origins of a phrase.

Poor guy.

bellcurve
Unregistered

He took up the whole cover?!

I mean, Drake's ouster should free up a LOT of money for DAYS in terms of casting.

The thing that makes it even more awful is that we know bits/pieces about John Black's past, but we've never gotten the whole story in well over ten years of being revealed as John Black.
Quote Post Goto Top

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Posted Image

King
Member Avatar

See what I mean? LOL!

bellcurve
Unregistered

OMGOSH!

The Drake is SO Done. If not, Weekly was told by DAYS higher-ups to publish this story to shut him up and or gague fan reaction.
Quote Post Goto Top

sungrey

Ooooboy. If this is true, this is not going to end well for the fans or for the show. Better put on the seatbelt. Could be a very bumpy ride.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply