Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: Hogestyn Out?!
Topic Started: Aug 30 2007, 09:44 AM (4,062 Views)
Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

px780
Sep 2 2007, 02:41 PM
Sheffer, Milstein, Scott, Brash, Cwikly, Reilly- whatever. They don't matter so much. We all know the problem is Corday. Corday's the coward that won't let anything happen that might be, y'know, permanent and have lasting impact.

I agree about Corday, but given the state of thing, I think Sony is “robbing this train” and Corday is along for the ride. Regards what NBC says as damage control, DAYS is done with that network in 2009, so Sony, for better or worse, is stepping up and making decision. So, while normally Corday wouldn’t make lasting changes, I think they are forcing his hand.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

PhoenixRising05
Sep 2 2007, 02:29 PM
Y&RWorldTurner
Sep 2 2007, 02:04 PM
Quote:

Oh, and I just have to add that the Beth Milstein praise just irks me.

Now you know how some of us feel about the Hogan praise some people bestow upon him.

Quote:

Yes, she knows the history and characters but she was brought on to "hold the fort" and Hogan opted to keep her on after he began.

Um, fact is, Hogan has virtually fired everyone on the Days writing staff who had history writing for the show and knew the characters in and out. It's not a good thing to fire another legacy writer, just to replace her with one of your friends.

Quote:

I would rather Sheri, Paula, or Peter were made co-HW since they have more experience and have shown their talents for writing their own stories in the recent times we are in.

I'd like them back too, but it's pretty obvious Hogan doesn't look for legacy writers, he looks for other "big name" writers in the industry or his personal friends. This, in the long-run, won't better the show.

Quote:

Beth wrote on her own for 2 months so I think she is horribly overhyped.

The same could be said about Hogan Savior Sheffer for almost all of his tenure thus far.

While it's true that Hogan's tenure has not been great, let's also not forget about the outside influences.

I would've loved to see how Beth dealt with that if she was in that position.

Poor, poor Hogan Sheffer. A brilliant man with brilliant stories cursed to work on a show under a producer set out to sabotage him and watched by unwashed masses who are simply too dense to appreciate his fantastic storytelling prowess.

It's simply unfair the way that Ken Corday put a gun to his head and forced him to ruin Shawn and Belle by having Shawn shack up with a crazy hooker stereotype who he crammed down our throats day after day and inserted into every single storyline; pointlessly introduced this hooker's brother who mercifully disappeared two days later; required that Shawn and Belle rekindle their love on a boring, bland set removed from any attachment to Salem for four months and introduced stereotypical contract characters such as the drunk, bitter, crazy Vietnam vet and the promiscuous, exotic island girl; wasted viewers' time setting up Max and Mimi as well as Max and Abby love stories right before both actresses were set to exit the show; turned both EJ and Phillip into one-note sociopathic monsters then when that wasn't working quickly flipped a redemption switch to bring them back to the charming rich hottie bad boys they should have been in the first place; centered a who's the daddy storyline around a rape allegation, dubious stem cell science and incorporating voodoo paternity tests and the phrase "demon seed"; not addressing Stefano's history with Marlena and John EVER despite bringing Stefano back to the show just as John came out of his coma; creating obnoxious and insensitive portrayals of the mentally ill by playing the nut house scenes for laughs rather than giving Steve's crazy all that much emotional impact; torturing viewers with oversexed, unlikable teens who come across as so shallow and stupid that when they have real problems viewers are beyond caring; throwing Lucas and Sami back together at warp speed in a completely unbelievable way that was terribly out of character for both and then when they got back together completely ignoring their dysfunctional, combative past that had actually made them interesting once...

I just don't know how Sheffer puts up with that interference from Corday as he gets memo after memo from the EP demanding more hookers, less romance, more sexual harassment, more love triangles featuring psychodrama that instantly repulses some viewers such as extorted sex and incest angst, and his insistence that the word "rape" appear no fewer than 100 times in each month's scripts.

Poor, poor Hogan Sheffer.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I agree Nubia.

I think if this were Corday, the big 4 would be safe. The addition of Ed Scott is a SONY move IMO and I do think they are making decisions. If this were Corday, you would see someone like RJ get fired before Drake.

Corday may be an idiot but he's a loyal one for the most part and he has always been pretty loyal to Peter, Kristian, Dee, and Drake in my view, at least up until the last year or so.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

IMissAremid
Sep 2 2007, 02:51 PM
PhoenixRising05
Sep 2 2007, 02:29 PM
Y&RWorldTurner
Sep 2 2007, 02:04 PM
Quote:

Oh, and I just have to add that the Beth Milstein praise just irks me.

Now you know how some of us feel about the Hogan praise some people bestow upon him.

Quote:

Yes, she knows the history and characters but she was brought on to "hold the fort" and Hogan opted to keep her on after he began.

Um, fact is, Hogan has virtually fired everyone on the Days writing staff who had history writing for the show and knew the characters in and out. It's not a good thing to fire another legacy writer, just to replace her with one of your friends.

Quote:

I would rather Sheri, Paula, or Peter were made co-HW since they have more experience and have shown their talents for writing their own stories in the recent times we are in.

I'd like them back too, but it's pretty obvious Hogan doesn't look for legacy writers, he looks for other "big name" writers in the industry or his personal friends. This, in the long-run, won't better the show.

Quote:

Beth wrote on her own for 2 months so I think she is horribly overhyped.

The same could be said about Hogan Savior Sheffer for almost all of his tenure thus far.

While it's true that Hogan's tenure has not been great, let's also not forget about the outside influences.

I would've loved to see how Beth dealt with that if she was in that position.

Poor, poor Hogan Sheffer. A brilliant man with brilliant stories cursed to work on a show under a producer set out to sabotage him and watched by unwashed masses who are simply too dense to appreciate his fantastic storytelling prowess.

It's simply unfair the way that Ken Corday put a gun to his head and forced him to ruin Shawn and Belle by having Shawn shack up with a crazy hooker stereotype who he crammed down our throats day after day and inserted into every single storyline; pointlessly introduced this hooker's brother who mercifully disappeared two days later; required that Shawn and Belle rekindle their love on a boring, bland set removed from any attachment to Salem for four months and introduced stereotypical contract characters such as the drunk, bitter, crazy Vietnam vet and the promiscuous, exotic island girl; wasted viewers' time setting up Max and Mimi as well as Max and Abby love stories right before both actresses were set to exit the show; turned both EJ and Phillip into one-note sociopathic monsters then when that wasn't working quickly flipped a redemption switch to bring them back to the charming rich hottie bad boys they should have been in the first place; centered a who's the daddy storyline around a rape allegation, dubious stem cell science and incorporating voodoo paternity tests and the phrase "demon seed"; not addressing Stefano's history with Marlena and John EVER despite bringing Stefano back to the show just as John came out of his coma; creating obnoxious and insensitive portrayals of the mentally ill by playing the nut house scenes for laughs rather than giving Steve's crazy all that much emotional impact; torturing viewers with oversexed, unlikable teens who come across as so shallow and stupid that when they have real problems viewers are beyond caring; throwing Lucas and Sami back together at warp speed in a completely unbelievable way that was terribly out of character for both and then when they got back together completely ignoring their dysfunctional, combative past that had actually made them interesting once...

I just don't know how Sheffer puts up with that interference from Corday as he gets memo after memo from the EP demanding more hookers, less romance, more sexual harassment, more love triangles featuring psychodrama that instantly repulses some viewers such as extorted sex and incest angst, and his insistence that the word "rape" appear no fewer than 100 times in each month's scripts.

Poor, poor Hogan Sheffer.

That's good, IMA :lol: .

I'm not saying Hogan should not take any blame. I am saying Corday deserves most of it. He has a history of this shit and I am more willing to give the benefit of the doubt to Hogan over Corday. Corday has the track record of interfering with his writers.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

SONY better watch the hell out then, in their attempt to "save" the show, they're wrecking it. If they continue to interferer with the creative output of this show and ratings continue to fall or stay stagnant, thus production costs rise, no network is going to want to pick this show up in 2009, should NBC cancel it. I hate corporate interference. <_<

Mason
Member Avatar

Y&RWorldTurner
Sep 2 2007, 02:56 PM
SONY better watch the hell out then, in their attempt to "save" the show, they're wrecking it. If they continue to interferer with the creative output of this show and ratings continue to fall or stay stagnant, thus production costs rise, no network is going to want to pick this show up in 2009, should NBC cancel it. I hate corporate interference. <_<

This is exactly what makes me so mad. So far, all these attempts to 'save' the show only seem to do more harm than good.

Deleted User
Deleted User

PhoenixRising05
Sep 2 2007, 02:46 PM
Yep. That whole Labor Day fiasco was nothing more then a joke.

I remember there was a KA one too where Hope was going to be offed by Marlena and then John would shoot "Marlena" and we would later learn he killed Hattie and the real Marlena was locked up somewhere.

There were so many rumors at that time, just like now. That is why I can't wait until we get official word one way or the other because it drives me nuts :lol:

JER NEEDS to speak up. He has NO allegiances to Corday or NBC Daytime anymore. I wish the man would have the balls to go on the record with SOW or SOD and say, "Marlena was supposed to kill everyone in Salem. It was a voo doo thing. Remember Marlena's prophecy, 'Everyone in Salem will DIE?' Well, that WAS going to go somewhere -- if other forces hadn't intervened."

I'm just DYING to know how brilliant his original story would have been.
Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

JERSoapsFan
Sep 3 2007, 01:11 AM
PhoenixRising05
Yep.  That whole Labor Day fiasco was nothing more then a joke. 

I remember there was a KA one too where Hope was going to be offed by Marlena and then John would shoot "Marlena" and we would later learn he killed Hattie and the real Marlena was locked up somewhere.

There were so many rumors at that time, just like now.  That is why I can't wait until we get official word one way or the other because it drives me nuts :lol:

JER NEEDS to speak up. He has NO allegiances to Corday or NBC Daytime anymore. I wish the man would have the balls to go on the record with SOW or SOD and say, "Marlena was supposed to kill everyone in Salem. It was a voo doo thing. Remember Marlena's prophecy, 'Everyone in Salem will DIE?' Well, that WAS going to go somewhere -- if other forces hadn't intervened."

Yep. I, too, would like to know what was really behind that. That story had too many loose ends and I think JER was clearly going in a supernatural direction but was then forced to switch gears. I still remember Marlena going to Celeste and saying that. It had an apocalypse feel to it, including the promos which also had that scene and showed clips of many characters.

Deleted User
Deleted User

PhoenixRising05
Sep 3 2007, 01:19 AM
JERSoapsFan
Sep 3 2007, 01:11 AM
PhoenixRising05
Yep.  That whole Labor Day fiasco was nothing more then a joke. 

There were so many rumors at that time, just like now.  That is why I can't wait until we get official word one way or the other because it drives me nuts :lol:

Yep. I, too, would like to know what was really behind that. That story had too many loose ends and I think JER was clearly going in a supernatural direction but was then forced to switch gears. I still remember Marlena going to Celeste and saying that. It had an apocalypse feel to it, including the promos which also had that scene and showed clips of many characters.

You described it perfectly. "Apocalypse." I mean, I thought Salem was going to die. Maybe JER was called to write that story to end the show by literally killing everybody in Salem. I had no idea what was going on.

AND THAT was the hook.

THAT'S why he shouldn't have been forced to switch gears.

Because THAT story could have saved the show in so many ways. For following through with THAT line alone.
Quote Post Goto Top

Q Steph
Member Avatar
Put your hands up for Obama

King
Aug 30 2007, 11:19 AM
Jonatha
Aug 30 2007, 09:44 AM
"If you pout, you are out."

I LOVE this! I am so sick of everyone's attitudes on DAYS. The Diva attitudes of the cast and the crew. The untouchable attitude. Screw it.

Ed Scott is the man!

Word.

I fialt to understand why Drake believes he is so untouchable. He acts like people should be kissing his ass for phoning it in. He's not even that good of an actor; much less one that Days couldn't do without. Take your time on the backburner like a man.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I agree with King on the Diva attitude of many behind the scenes at Days. I see it in more than just Drake. I won't get into it again but I see something different about Drake's this time because he has been on the backburner before and never complained. I think Drake knew this time there was more to his backburnering than just that. Langan backburnered Drake just he did all the vets during the Saved by the Bell years, Drake didn't complain. He got a 2 month unplanned vacation last year. He didn't speak out or complain. I just think he knew this time there was more to it. But I still don't see what Drake said as being as bad as it was made out to be and seeing that Allison and others aren't mad about it says a lot too.

But back to the Diva thing - why in the world should Days stars and backstage folks not have a Diva complex. I mean some fans have made them that way. I don't know any of those on here as I don't see anything wrong with the Days fans on this board. I think we are all well rounded for the most part and are willing to call Days on it's shit or praise it to high heaven when it deserves it. But look at other boards and the pedestal that they put some of them on.

I mean at a board I will not mention I looked at the ratings thread and even with a Days at 2.0 this week they are still throwing out this thing of Days being so much better that CBS should just cancel 2 of it's shows so that Days can be saved. I mean I love Days but what makes it so much better that 2 shows should be cancelled just for it to be saved.

And yet we wonder where Days staff gets the idea they can be divas and act any way they want. It is prevalent on all shows these days as they have their fanbases, but Days as we have all said seems to have the worse trouble with them. These fan bases have made their stars - some not all into divas.

I have been working on a links thread for the History Forum and I have been so dumbfounded in what I have found for some shows. I think almost every couple on GH and Days have at least one or more sites somewhere on the Internet devoted to them. All the shows have some - AMC has a lot too. The only show that does not have that many is Y&R. It seems most of the fan sites created for Y&R seem to be show sites and not just one character or couple site.

I think of all the big couples only Bope has the least fan sites devoted to them but they seem to be the most loved couple which is weird.

Many of the characters have their own sites too. I have been looking lately at the MSN groups and GH/Days are just full of MSN groups for couples or characters. I have not begun to look at the Yahoo sites yet.

But the Days fans are very vocal, and that love and admiration and demanding of their favorites has to help in creating Diva attitudes of some of these stars and personnel.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply