Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days:More casting news from SNS; *updated 9/3*
Topic Started: Sep 2 2007, 12:55 AM (2,803 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

Kenny
Sep 3 2007, 06:38 AM
Deidre has to either take a paycut or get the axe?

I really, really hope that this is wrong. I'm not a big fan of J&M anymore, but back in the 90's, they MADE the show! Deidre was the heroine of the 90's, without a doubt. It's so hard for me to imagine Days without her, EVER.

I imagine that if the show was ever really stupid enough to let her go, the fan outcry and media outcry would be so huge that she'd be back immediately.

I think you're right about the fan outcry that would result. But the thing about TV is, even though she and Drake were hot in the '90s, TV people have the "What have you done for me lately?" mentality. And that may be why all these rumors are coming out now.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

DaysFanJean
Sep 3 2007, 02:25 PM
I'm really tired of hearing "Wendy posted" or Wendy said" as if she were Corday's mistress and pillowtalk buddy. There are many other boards that post "inside" information but they aren't mentioned. I refuse to allow that board to be my only reference of truth.

As for the actors reading the boards, they do. This is the truth. I was always complaining about Drake as John on another board. I hated the way he holds Marlena by the neck and shoves her around when he is going to kiss her or making sweet sounds to her and was very vocal about that. Not long after a particularly nasty post, I was watching Days when Drake was holding Marlena in a very nice normal sort of embrace without shoving her around and kissed her. He then walked with his back to the camera but then turned around and looked at the camera and winked with a silly grin. Say what you will, I know he did that after hearing or reading about how annoying it was to at least one fan.

Also, I believe it was Ali that said there is one particular poster that they all just loved to check out and it was a common chatter behind the scenes about what so and so was saying. I just wonder who that is.

Oh, Jean, you made my day! You gave me a visual of Wendy in bed with Ken Corday and him telling her casting secret, post-coitus! :wub: Don't get me wrong, I love Wend and as an SNS member I mean nothing by it; it's just a cute/funny visual I had. :wub:
Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

For what it's worth here goes. Days can be just any soap in that if the writing is good and there is excitement going on they can get by with firing anyone for awhile.

AMC undid the Erica abortion without ratings going down because they did it in the midst of the big explosion story. Fans were outraged but couldn't tear themselves from the screen - well many of them couldn't. GH killed off Alan Quaertermain in the midst of a big story.

Another World fired it's 2 stars and it's matriarch. Think Frances Reid along with Drake Hogestyn & Deidre Hall at the height of their popularity. That is how popular all 3 stars were at the time. But AW still maintained high ratings because Harding Lemay and Paul Rauch stayed on top of it.

But they have to stay on top of things. AW lost some fans who went over to OLTL with Reinholt & Courtney but they didn't lose the majority until they got sloppy and started letting the writing slip.

GH didn't keep the momentum up after firing Alan and what angered fans did stay remembered that and have slipped aside too. AMC fans who were angry about the unabortion, remembered it when McTavish let things slip too.

It was bad publicity for them as it hurt them on picking up new fans, and then later it hurt them on keeping long term fans and gaining fans who had watched and thought of coming back.

Fans who are thinking of coming back need the familiar to draw them back. They hear of their faves leaving and it pushes them farther away.

Days can fire Drake & Deidre but they better do it with an explosive story and keep the story good for quite some time afterward. Because I see that as the only way they can fully survive at all from either firing.

sure others have left in the past, but the writing was a lot better and a lot more exciting than it is now. It was also more consistent.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

So basically for them to get rid of Drake and Hall they'd have to be firing on all cylinders (no pun intended). Does anyone think Days is capable of that anymore?

They don't have enough good characters to pick up the slack, imho, and they're demolishing the few that they had. I loved Sami for years, now I want her dead. I was really enjoying Chelsea until the Nick stuff. Bo and Hope are around, but they'd have to get independent and into something big really, really fast to be must-see, and the writers would have to try and pull that off without a triangle 'cause fans are tired of those.

Are there other soaps like Days with this kind of...character deficiency? Everyone has their fans, I know that, this show seems to have a shallower pool than the others.

And I think this feud thing was their best shot of writing out vets while forcing people to deal with other characters. What else could they come up with, besides killing people, that would make the show must-see for a big segment of the audience and carry it through the loss of a major star like Hall (I think Drake can go no big deal)?

Kenny
Member Avatar

CJ (Deidre's fan club president, I believe) has posted the following information at SoapCity...

SoapCity

"Deidre has not been let go, she is not going to be let go (she just started the 2nd year of her contract) and no, she isn't taking a paycut.

So, you can cross that "birdie" off the reliable list.

Carry on... "

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Kenny
Sep 4 2007, 04:53 AM
CJ (Deidre's fan club president, I believe) has posted the following information at SoapCity...

SoapCity

"Deidre has not been let go, she is not going to be let go (she just started the 2nd year of her contract) and no, she isn't taking a paycut.

Carry on... "

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy. Thanks Kenny.

BTW, love the Janelle twirling avi!

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

so glad CJ was able to clear that up..I find her far more reliable with Deidre news than Wendy..Wish she had some Drake news though!!!

King
Member Avatar

Kenny

Carry on... "

Hahahhahha.

sungrey

JERSoapsFan
Sep 3 2007, 01:29 AM
King
Sep 2 2007, 10:17 PM
I hope they're BOTH "fired" and I hope it's a big scam!

DAYS is only good when they are conning us. :lol:

That's another theory I had; maybe they realize they have to do ANOTHER SSK-like story to generate buzz and get the viewers back.

One SSK story was quite enough, thank you very much. I refuse to sit through another one. :lol:

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Kenny

SoapCity

Carry on... "

Yay, that is good to hear!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

sungrey
Sep 4 2007, 01:16 PM
JERSoapsFan
King

That's another theory I had; maybe they realize they have to do ANOTHER SSK-like story to generate buzz and get the viewers back.

One SSK story was quite enough, thank you very much. I refuse to sit through another one. :lol:

Agreed. No more mass deaths on this show EVER after that mess.

Thanks Kenny for the Deidre info! At least that's one less thing we have to worry about.

Jonatha

Mason AKA Hogan
Sep 4 2007, 01:56 PM
sungrey
Sep 4 2007, 01:16 PM
JERSoapsFan
King

Agreed. No more mass deaths on this show EVER after that mess.

Thanks Kenny for the Deidre info! At least that's one less thing we have to worry about.

That is happy new, thanks Kenny. I'm doing my happy dance. :clap:

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

I believe that Deidre isn't going anywhere, but what someone close to the actor/actress or even the actor/actress themselves say do not always mean anything. Brody Hutzler didn't even know he was being fired until he saw it in SOD!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Angie79
Sep 4 2007, 03:28 PM
I believe that Deidre isn't going anywhere, but what someone close to the actor/actress or even the actor/actress themselves say do not always mean anything. Brody Hutzler didn't even know he was being fired until he saw it in SOD!

LMAO! I totally forgot about that! :lol:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

CJ is very trustworthy and usually gets info right from Dee. I just never bought this rumor as it seemed to be made up as a way of capitalizing on the Drake stuff.

Whatever the case, I think this rumor is dead and now we just need to wait to hear about the Drake stuff.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply