Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Brief list of Days ratings and monthly storylines; finding the place the decline began
Topic Started: Sep 2 2007, 03:21 AM (1,060 Views)
DaysFanJean
Member Avatar

After the discussion of whether or not the decline was due to John's absence, I checked the archives at one board and recaps at another and here is a very brief synopsis. It wasn't so long ago that memories should be jogged by this.

Dec 2 7/8

John shot and Shelle go to

court and on the run Lexie

and Tek disappear

Jan 2 .7/8
2 7./9
2 .7/8
2 .5/8

Sami, Lucas, EJ, Kate woes,

marriage proposal, on the

run, Steve goes nuts,

Lockharts and bones

Feb 2 6/9
2.5/8
2.5/8
2.4/7

Shelle on run, Rebert/Chelsa

saga, Billie fesses up to

Chelsea about Nick, Stefano

ill health, Steve escapes

hospital Lucas notice Sami

nervous about EJ, seeking

paternity of babies

Mar 2.3/8 (ties low)
2.1/7 (new low)
2. 2/8
2.2/8
2.1/8

on the run leave island,

Lucas turns in Mythic, Sami

trys to incinerate EJ, EJ

says he is leaving to marry

the woman he loves Brandy

Mathas, hairbrush incident,

Stephanie returns, Adrienne

returns

Apr 2.1/7 (ties low)
2.0/7 (new low)
1.9/6 (new low)
2.1/7

Sami/Lucas wed, honeymoon,

Steve breaks out and goes to

kill Bo etc., Shelle/Philip

make peace in storm at sea,

EJ needs stemcells for

Stefano, Claire missing and

John awakens.

May 1.9/7
2.0/7
2.1/7
2.2/8

Jett/Jeremy arrive,

Shelle/Philip live in

mansion, Max loans money to

TTS, Sami kidnapped for

stemcells, Santo and Colleen

begin, Lexie returns,

Jun 2 3/8
2.1/7
2.2/7
2.1/7
2.2/7

TTS in full swing and

trouble, Bope go to Ireland,

Kayla wants another baby,

Lauren contacts Shawn.

Jul 1.8/6 (new low)
2.0/6
2.1/7
2.1/7

More of previous

Aug 2.1/7
2.2/7
2.0/6
2.0/6
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Thanks Jean

All indications point to the teens/twentysomethings and the backburnering of the vets. :shame:

Mason
Member Avatar

I blame the Shelle and Chick overload combined with the ridiculous lack of veteran screentime.

DaysFanJean
Member Avatar

Personally I think the "on-the-run" story was the worst since Julie's face got burned from the oven fire. It started the decline more than John being in a coma as it took over Days. It was worse than Dr. North because at least we got to see Wayne and Dee and lovely surroundings (and no baby was being abused). Then Sami was headlining everything and to me, she wasn't ready for such a huge thrust in fans eyes (or at least mine). The reason for this is that I was so pumped for Lucas and Sami getting married and having a baby girl ... a sweet romantic story for them, when we get EJ horning in and ruining that and on top of that, the Santo and Colleen story we didn't want to see. Then brings in wild girl Stephanie and her criminal boyfriend and dull dense CIA pal. I'm sure hoping that the Fall stories are bringing in a breath of fresh air with lots of vets.

kserox10

They have not been able to get viewers back.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

This Dimera vs. Brady storyline was supposed to bring back many viewers, but it obviously has been unsuccessful. I think the main reason is because they are moving at such a slow pace. Telling the story of the vendetta through the eyes of Santo and Colleen worked nicely at first, but not its becoming redundant.

Mason
Member Avatar

Colleen/Santo has been the biggest problem with the story, IMO. Too much time has been spent on them as well as Sami/E.J./Lucas, and not nearly enough on John, Marlena, Bo, Hope, and even Stefano.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Mason AKA Hogan
Sep 2 2007, 07:05 PM
Colleen/Santo has been the biggest problem with the story, IMO. Too much time has been spent on them as well as Sami/E.J./Lucas, and not nearly enough on John, Marlena, Bo, Hope, and even Stefano.

Don't forget the actor overload! I think they screwed up royally by double-pumping Sweeney and Scott.

Thanks for the info! That's a whole lotta nothin' going on, imho.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

The story worked early on because for all of June and early July it moved at a great pace and TTS did not feel like the main story. It felt like a B story. However, midway through July, that changed. TTS was featured heavily and the feud story became a B story and that is why the last half of July and most of August was a decline. Last week the show seemed to rebound and here's hoping it continues.

I think the decline was due to stories lagging in energy and intensity along with the NBC comment and the horrible balance. I think it was a combination of all that and, when you have that much against you, a ratings decline is bound to happen.

PoisonIvy
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Sep 2 2007, 11:35 PM
The story worked early on because for all of June and early July it moved at a great pace and TTS did not feel like the main story. It felt like a B story. However, midway through July, that changed. TTS was featured heavily and the feud story became a B story and that is why the last half of July and most of August was a decline. Last week the show seemed to rebound and here's hoping it continues.

I think the decline was due to stories lagging in energy and intensity along with the NBC comment and the horrible balance. I think it was a combination of all that and, when you have that much against you, a ratings decline is bound to happen.

Great post! ICAM - it was definitely a combination of things, but the feud storyline which was promoted became secondary to the TTS s/l....which was just ridiculous IMO....

Ridge
Member Avatar

px780
Sep 2 2007, 09:16 PM
Mason AKA Hogan
Sep 2 2007, 07:05 PM

Don't forget the actor overload! I think they screwed up royally by double-pumping Sweeney and Scott.

Thanks for the info! That's a whole lotta nothin' going on, imho.

IA. Their biggest problem now is they are the soap with the MOST losses and they seem to be the soap that can not re-gain any viewers. 2.0's are terrible. DAYS main competition, B&B, GH are not even close to that.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Days has the most losses but B&B was also pretty close in that regard until their rebound last week. I wouldn't say the rest of the soaps, sans Y&R (which should be losing ground IMO), are doing good. They are all in a spiral only Days' spiral happened all at once in a 3-4 month span while the others are slowly bleeding viewers.

The whole genre is in trouble.

DaysFanJean
Member Avatar

Actually according to the ratings, the first half of July was the lowest and it rebounded the last half of July and all of August.

Kenny
Member Avatar

And to think, only ten years ago during the summertime we had Kristen/Marlena in the secret room and Kristen's downfall, Sami faking her paralysis/amnesia and blackmailing Kate, Jack in prison for the murder of Peter Blake, and "the punch heard 'round the world" at Sami and Austin's wedding. Drama was high, ratings were huge, payoffs were complete and the cast was top notch.

Now, we've got newbie teens playing flight attendants and Santo/Colleen with fake wigs/mustaches and bad accents.

bellcurve
Unregistered

Kenny
Sep 4 2007, 05:49 AM
And to think, only ten years ago during the summertime we had Kristen/Marlena in the secret room and Kristen's downfall, Sami faking her paralysis/amnesia and blackmailing Kate, Jack in prison for the murder of Peter Blake, and "the punch heard 'round the world" at Sami and Austin's wedding. Drama was high, ratings were huge, payoffs were complete and the cast was top notch.

Now, we've got newbie teens playing flight attendants and Santo/Colleen with fake wigs/mustaches and bad accents.

OMG, that was back when DAYS was can't miss tv! I sometimes have to wonder what might have happened if Reilly had stayed at DAYS(under Corday's control) and continued to build the show up.

I really, really miss the DAYS OF OUR LIVES from ten years ago. That excitement is gone and we'll never get it back again.
Quote Post Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

bellcurve
Sep 4 2007, 11:00 AM
Kenny
Sep 4 2007, 05:49 AM

OMG, that was back when DAYS was can't miss tv! I sometimes have to wonder what might have happened if Reilly had stayed at DAYS(under Corday's control) and continued to build the show up.

I really, really miss the DAYS OF OUR LIVES from ten years ago. That excitement is gone and we'll never get it back again.

It just seemed like so much was going on, and no matter which story you were watching in any given segment, everything seemed so high-stakes and do-or-die. Some stories tied together while other stories were kept separate, yet everything managed to come across as packaged and presented so well and tightly woven.

Thought went into the smaller details. There was a cliffhanger not only at the end of every episode, but at the end of every scene and segment.

Something so tiny as a character walking through the door or lighting a candle was played with great dramatic pitch, so that the audience at home knew that if that character walked through the door or that candle was lit, it meant life/death or the downfall and destruction for someone.

And the payoffs... don't you MISS the payoffs? It seems like every story today gets off to a great start, and then just when the writers don't know how to end it properly, they simply let it fizzle out with no real payoff or ending. It makes the entire show seem pointless if there's no beginning, middle and end. Back in the day, we got payoffs to every story. Even with the LONG stories that lasted for several years (Stefano torturing J&M, Sami torturing A&C) there were several different payoffs and rewards along the way. Viewers were tortured with angsty tales for all our favorite couples, yet we were always given little nibbles of rewards to keep us tuned in and wanting more until the BIG payoffs in the end. Marlena learning the truth and kicking Kristen's ass in the secret room was a small payoff... Kristen going apeshit when her lies were exposed and Marlena was reunited with John was the BIG payoff.

Ahhhh, I just miss that show so much.

I miss the Days when I actually followed and cared about every single character and story.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Kenny that described Days under both William J. Bell and then later under Pat Falken Smith/Depreist/Anderson together.

For Me I consider Bell, then Smith/Depriest/Anderson, and then James Reilly's 1st run as the best ever of Days headwriters.

I like DePriest & Anderson without Smith but it still wasn't the same as with ther there with them. Anderson was good but she lost alot without the 2 partners she had worked with so long.

Ann Marcus in the late 70's had some good moments and deserved her Emmy nominations but she never made Days as good as it was under Bell.

bellcurve
Unregistered

Kenny
Sep 4 2007, 10:14 AM
It just seemed like so much was going on, and no matter which story you were watching in any given segment, everything seemed so high-stakes and do-or-die. Some stories tied together while other stories were kept separate, yet everything managed to come across as packaged and presented so well and tightly woven.

I think that was one of the biggest things I enjoyed about DAYS back then...remember when Eric showed up under Jimmy Reilly?! He was in the Kristen/John/Marlena/Roman story, the Austin/Carrie/Lucas/Sami story...

New characters and returns actually MEANT something.

Quote:

And the payoffs... don't you MISS the payoffs? It seems like every story today gets off to a great start, and then just when the writers don't know how to end it properly, they simply let it fizzle out with no real payoff or ending. It makes the entire show seem pointless if there's no beginning, middle and end. Back in the day, we got payoffs to every story. Even with the LONG stories that lasted for several years (Stefano torturing J&M, Sami torturing A&C) there were several different payoffs and rewards along the way. Viewers were tortured with angsty tales for all our favorite couples, yet we were always given little nibbles of rewards to keep us tuned in and wanting more until the BIG payoffs in the end. Marlena learning the truth and kicking Kristen's ass in the secret room was a small payoff... Kristen going apeshit when her lies were exposed and Marlena was reunited with John was the BIG payoff.

Oh boy, do I ever miss the payoffs. The entire week being devoted to exposing someone's web of lies with that one episode during that week which centers mostly on the 3-4 characters who have been lied to for the past year or two.

I miss the DAYS OF OUR LIVES that used to reward viewer loyalty through continuing to give us good storytelling and gave us what we wanted at the end...even if it was for about a couple of months.

The only thing I don't miss about Reilly's DAYS is how we always ended up back at Square One instead of characters moving on. If Reilly had never left DAYS in 1997, we'd still have Sami chasing Austin, John and Marlena would still be broken up, and Billie still coming between Bo and Hope.

Quote:

Ahhhh, I just miss that show so much.

I miss the Days when I actually followed and cared about every single character and story.

Me too.
Quote Post Goto Top

daytimelvr
Member Avatar

Kenny
Sep 4 2007, 10:14 AM

You and me both...

Mason
Member Avatar

God, I don't even want to think about how insanely good DAYS was ago even 10 years ago. It's just too damn depressing.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply