Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
'Days' Drake Drama: Real or Rumor?; from CDN TV Guide
Topic Started: Sep 3 2007, 03:41 PM (1,286 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Days of our Lives (Global/NBC) — Drake drama: real or rumour? Shocking claims revealed!
Pandemonium went into overdrive late last week when several industry insiders claimed top daytime hunk Drake Hogestyn (John) was unceremoniously fired by NBC — a fate the actor hinted at several months earlier. A Days spokesperson denies Hogestyn, whose contract expires in March 2009, was let go, but several reliable sources tell TV Guide Hogestyn’s future is still in question as the sudser debates killing off John Black to save money in its quest for survival.

However, it seems that the Hogestyn hoax is only a suspicious part in a much larger mystery at the soap that some are calling an agenda at sinking a rival series! One very reliable source suspects, “something has been up on the set ever since they hired [former Y&R top honcho] Ed Scott and [casting director] Marnie Saitta.

“And there’s been a positive vibe, which on this show, is suspicious! For some reason, out of the blue, NBC has renewed hopes for our show. Network execs have even visited the set recently and were in a happy mood. All we can surmise from gossip is that NBC knows Y&R is slipping creatively and thinks this is the first time in history a show could overtake them [since they’ve been No. 1 in the ratings], which is why they hired Ed, who was unfairly ousted from his job for [Lynn Marie Latham]. He’d love to personally avenge his dismissal by proving he can make a show on the brink of cancellation the No. 1 show in daytime!”

Another source agrees, adding that Scott has brought everyone’s morale up and demanded excellence from the cast and crew. So whatever the case for the renewed hope at Days, all we can say is, bring it on, Ed — because we’re on your side; Y&R stinks. However, perhaps Days could put a moratorium on “killing” off major characters only to bring them back alive in the next scene. We’re just saying.

CDNTVGuuide
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Days can't even get pass ATWT, OLTL, AMC, GH and B&B and they expect it to knock Y&R from #1?

Though I'd like very much for Y&R to lose it's #1 position, but the only non-CBS soap that has any chance of doing that right now is GH.

Also, I seriously doubt Scott would want to screw over the show his own wife is on.

Sony owns both Y&R and Days, I also highly doubt they'd want either one of their properties to suffer.

bellcurve
Unregistered

{quote]“And there’s been a positive vibe, which on this show, is suspicious! For some reason, out of the blue, NBC has renewed hopes for our show. Network execs have even visited the set recently and were in a happy mood. All we can surmise from gossip is that NBC knows Y&R is slipping creatively and thinks this is the first time in history a show could overtake them [since they’ve been No. 1 in the ratings], which is why they hired Ed, who was unfairly ousted from his job for [Lynn Marie Latham]. He’d love to personally avenge his dismissal by proving he can make a show on the brink of cancellation the No. 1 show in daytime!” [/quote]

Sure;y they don't believe this? DAYS doesn't even have a consistent timeslot in the country this fall and the rationgs are falling fast. And do you really think NBC is supportive of a soap they don't even own, that they are probably losing profit on day by day?

The only soap NBC gives a damn about is PASSIONS, because they saved it by moving it to DIRECTV.

NBC and Soaps is like (paraphrasing Kanye)Bush and Black People.

Ed Scott should be positive about DAYS, but there's being positive and having really lofty ambitions that you can't reach!
Quote Post Goto Top

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

All these rumours and speculations are boggling mind. I wouldn't necessarily say DAYS is doing poorer by the day. They have their highpoints, and then extreme low points. I really don't believe NBC is suffering a loss from the show, and rather would want to take every measure possible to boost ratings.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Jinx, I don't think they are really suffering a big loss, but they don't really make as much from Days since they don't own it. And it would be cheaper for them to replace it with a talk show or even a game show which are a whole lot cheaper for them to buy and use. Even original talk shows are cheaper to produce than soaps are.

With Days not doing well in the ratings they are not getting good advertising dollars coming in for it. They like the other networks are having to make guarantees to advertisers which are not being met and then they are having to give advertisers free ad space to make up for the guarantees.

With them not owning the show, with the current ratings they are not making what they would like to make nor what they could make with a cheaper show.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

My concern is, a cheaper show wouldn't pull in as heavier with the ratings. Perhaps I'm biased because I am still a DAYS fan to some extent, but I find a lot more talk and hope over DAYS now.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Jinxed Soul
Sep 3 2007, 08:57 PM
My concern is, a cheaper show wouldn't pull in as heavier with the ratings. Perhaps I'm biased because I am still a DAYS fan to some extent, but I find a lot more talk and hope over DAYS now.

If they'll be producing a cheaper show in Days' place, the ratings wouldn't matter as much. You can get crappy ratings for a cheap show and still turn a profit, Days on the other hand has hefty production costs and eroding ratings.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I agree Jinx that there seems to be more talk and hope. But call me a pessimist on this issue or whatever but I see it everytime one of the these plans to save Days things is put into affect or talked about. There is a big talk of hope and big talk of change. The same thing happens where the fans go to talking about Days is going to be the one that unseats Y&R, but instead ratings go down. It is a pattern that has been happening so often now.

And now we are on the 5th plan to save Days since May 2006. When Hogan came on fans were so estatic and said Days would be #1 by spring. They almost became #9.

I guess call me pessimistic or I think more call me jaded. I want to believe the best and think the best but even with Edward Scott aboard both Hogan and Corday are still there and I just can't trust either of them.

And Alvin is right even a crappier show if it's cheaper still makes the network more money even with low ratings.

King
Member Avatar

Love backstage drama!

bellcurve
Unregistered

Jinxed Soul
Sep 3 2007, 08:44 PM
I really don't believe NBC is suffering a loss from the show, and rather would want to take every measure possible to boost ratings.

If NBC really cared about DAYS, it would do everything possible to keep the affiliates from moving the show out of the familiar timeslot it has been in for years in many markets.

If NBC really cared about DAYS, they wouldn't have forced DAYS to take a paycut to get rid of Reilly.

NBC wants DAYS to fail and I've believed that since the 90's were over.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

I agree. NBC would like nothing more than to see DAYS fail so they can wash their hands of it as soon as possible with a minimum backlash, and be out of the soap business once and for all, like they've wanted for the past 15 or so years.

hunterforrester
Member Avatar

Let's not forget that Days is opposite Y&R for a half hour in most markets — so they are rivals, duh! Regardless of being owned by the same company, Sony, they encourage each show to do their best and beat everyone in their past. ABC doesn't tell AMC or OLTL not to beat GH; it's every man for themselves in TV.

DramaKing
Member Avatar

I can already see the diff in days since ES came abord and hope to them contenue. The show is in a better state now than its been in ... well a long time.

juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

If any show deserves to be #1 right now, it's DAYS. If you disagree, check out the DR's top 20 polls. Best SHOW?

Like sands through the hourglass, so are the

DAYS OF OUR LIVES

juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

BTW Bellcurve, that Promo is FUCKING FABULOSO

Kenny
Member Avatar

juniorz1
Oct 9 2007, 08:10 AM
BTW Bellcurve, that Promo is FUCKING FABULOSO

I agree!

The lead bitch in that series (the brunette girl) is GORGEOUS, IMO. I could totally see her on a soap. She looks like a dark-haired Alexa Havins to me!

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

juniorz1
Oct 9 2007, 07:08 AM
If any show deserves to be #1 right now, it's DAYS. If you disagree, check out the DR's top 20 polls. Best SHOW?

DAYS OF OUR LIVES

Greg, It is good to have you back.

I agree that as far as technical and acting yes they do. But storywise I can't say so. The show looks great and the dialogue is great but the stories stink. Sorry.

And when the show starts making better story decisions and better decisions about who gets story and airtime, I think they will go up.

Until then I don't see it happening.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Oh Greg as to the DR Top 20 polls, I wouldn't count that as indication. Some weeks it deserves to be there, but some not. It is just like at SON right now where we have a bigger group of voters for some shows - the same way that OLTL stayed at the top of SON's Top 10 when they didn't deserve to be there all the time.

It is not that bad yet but it is definitely getting more fan base controlled than when we first started.

The week that EJ and Sami both won 1st and 2nd place and topped the Best Actor and Best Actress poll there were people that voted that week that I haven't even seen around here before or since then. And that is looking at the bottom to see people who were logged in that week and viewing the Top 20 polls at the time.

I love the Top 20 and love it's balance but it is not a full register of quality. I mean we have people every week that get votes and do well even when they aren't on screen. Susan Flannery has managed almost every week that she has been gone to get 3 or 4 votes. Alec Musser is hardly ever on AMC but he gets votes. And so on. Leann Hunley gets votes every week and I think she has had 2 maybe 3 shows since we started the Top 20.

LOL

Mason

juniorz1
Oct 9 2007, 07:08 AM

DAYS OF OUR LIVES

Couldn't have said it better! :cheers:

Sephora
Unregistered

SteveFrame
Oct 9 2007, 09:42 AM
The week that EJ and Sami both won 1st and 2nd place and topped the Best Actor and Best Actress poll there were people that voted that week that I haven't even seen around here before or since then.

LOL

I know the explanation for that. A poster at Forbidden Love didn't have a real clue about what the DR Top 20 was about and they put up a message for everyone from there to vote. It was all about beating Lucas, not winning. When the Top 20 was explained to them, the thread came down and it's not been back. But that is why there was a big showing that one particular week.

I admit it, I vote for Days for the Top 20 even the weeks they suck. It's habit more than anything. That and it's generally the only show I keep up with.
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply