Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Replacing Hogan; Yes or No?
Topic Started: Sep 4 2007, 03:43 AM (1,149 Views)
into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

After TV Guide Canada's report that Ed Scott is pissed that LML fired him and wanting to take DAYS to #1, I had to think of the Headwriter situation. The ratings have taken a huge tumble with Hogan's decision (ala ATWT) to backburn the vets and fill the canvas with talentless newbies. I also don't see his storylines as anything special.

With that said, who would you choose to replace him? My choice? Former B&B/Y&R headwriter Jack Smith.

His time at B&B in the 90s was hugely successful, although Brad Bell got most of the credit at the time. Once he left, the show became a disaster and has only rebounded since Brad got Kay Alden and other Y&R writers as consultants. His time at Y&R was largely successful, minus his uneven final year (2005, his son was dying IRL) and the Kay is Jill's mother story.

If Hogan does leave, I think Smith is the likely candidate to replace him. Many have suggested Beth Millistein and Sheri Anderson, but I suspect Ed Scott will go with someone he knows. Kay Alden is at B&B, which only leaves Smith who is without a job.

I know it would be worrisome to DAYS fans having another newcomer, but at least he's a proven successful soap writer. I don't think any soap could suffer from having a staff of Y&R writers. Jack Smith was fired after returning to work following his son's death. It was sick of Latham to fire him and I'm sure he'd have an axe to grind, ala Scott. Along with Ed Scott, I don't think there would be any stopping a team like this.

So what do you think? Love/Hate my choice? Would you keep Hogan in place? For those unfamiliar with Y&R, here's a sampling of Smith's stories...

Here's a sampling of the type of stories he told at Y&R...

Mysteries - One in particular was the excellent Cameron Kirsten story. Sharon abandoned her family and was going to have an affair with Cam. He proceeded to beat her almost to death and rape her. She managed to escape by "killing" him. When she and nemesis Nikki found out he was alive, they were in the sewer looking for his body. In the end there was a big plane crash (with a real plane), which was partially done on location. This was a classic soap story with lots of action, family conflict, humor and intrigue.

Teen stories - One of his biggest teen stories was when 15 year old Lily met a peodophile, Kevin, online and began seeing him. Her family and friends objected, but he told her they were haters who didn't love her. In the end he forced her into sex, gave her an STD which could prevent her from having kids and then blamed the STD on her. He later tried to murder her best friend for trying to save Lily from him.

Then Smith tied him to a popular character and worked to redeem him by explaining his past to us. They didn't try to saint him either. Kevin still did bad things and they never ignored his past crimes (until LML took over).

Romance - There was the Jack/Phyllis pairing and ultimate break up which handed Michelle Stafford her second Emmy. For teens you have Colleen dating the much older JT, which her family hated. Even Katherine, who is in her late 70s, was engaged to be married while Smith was writing the show.

Diversity - Although I think he neglected romance for Dru and Neil, he did feature a ton of minority characters in frontburner stories. I can see long neglected characters like Lexie and Abe benefitting from his presence, as well as exciting newcomers. He never allowed one group to dominate the show, there was something for everyone.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

King
Member Avatar

Hoagie's not a good fit for DAYS. But it's not terrible.

I think DAYS needs some creative consistency.

I don't really know?

Mason
Member Avatar

I know I've said this a thousand and one times before, but DAYS needs to get a new Co-HW who will balance out Hogan's stories and make sure the vets are used. My top suggestions would be Paula Cwickly, Peter Brash, or Beth Milstein (if she'll come back after being fired by Hogan).

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Beth was not fired. She is still on staff. She is an associate head writer with the show still.

I dont' think Days would have to hire a big name to replace Hogan. There are some good writers our there like Brash, Cwikley, Milstein who would be good fits for Days that would not cost them near as much as Hogan does.

Days at this point needs more than just a new co-head writer. I once thought that too, but Hogan just needs to go.

Mason
Member Avatar

In another thread somewhere here, it said that Milstein was out. I mean, I hope it's not true because that would be bad for the show.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I must have missed that. Jason47 still has her listed. That is what I was going by. I hope they are wrong. Days can't afford to lose another writer that knows the show.

sungrey

Uh uh. Jack Smith has a reputation for being a Reilly-like hack at times. You can argue "well, that's what we've got right now!", but I'll take a Sheffer-written episode over anything Reilly wrote in his second go-round. I'm sure Jack's a good guy, but I've never been impressed with his writing.

Sheffer's a good guy... he just needs some guidance with the stories and some better writers to work with on a daily basis. If he gets those and nothing changes, then yes, you make some revisions to the staff.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I freaking love Jack Smith! He got me hooked on Y&R in 2002. He had a way of telling powerful stories. While some of his stories took a while to tell, there were twists and turns, for the sake of the story and characters, not just to prolong the storyline. And then when the story finally came to a close, he did it in amazing ways.

He's one of my favorite soap writers, and someone I look up to while writing my own blog. I try to incorporate some of Smith's talents from when I watched Y&R into my blog.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

into_the_skyline
Sep 4 2007, 04:43 AM
After TV Guide Canada's report that Ed Scott is pissed that LML fired him and wanting to take DAYS to #1, I had to think of the Headwriter situation. The ratings have taken a huge tumble with Hogan's decision (ala ATWT) to backburn the vets and fill the canvas with talentless newbies. I also don't see his storylines as anything special.

With that said, who would you choose to replace him? My choice? Former B&B/Y&R headwriter Jack Smith.

His time at B&B in the 90s was hugely successful, although Brad Bell got most of the credit at the time. Once he left, the show became a disaster and has only rebounded since Brad got Kay Alden and other Y&R writers as consultants. His time at Y&R was largely successful, minus his uneven final year (2005, his son was dying IRL) and the Kay is Jill's mother story.

If Hogan does leave, I think Smith is the likely candidate to replace him. Many have suggested Beth Millistein and Sheri Anderson, but I suspect Ed Scott will go with someone he knows. Kay Alden is at B&B, which only leaves Smith who is without a job.

I know it would be worrisome to DAYS fans having another newcomer, but at least he's a proven successful soap writer. I don't think any soap could suffer from having a staff of Y&R writers. Jack Smith was fired after returning to work following his son's death. It was sick of Latham to fire him and I'm sure he'd have an axe to grind, ala Scott. Along with Ed Scott, I don't think there would be any stopping a team like this.

So what do you think? Love/Hate my choice? Would you keep Hogan in place? For those unfamiliar with Y&R, here's a sampling of Smith's stories...

Here's a sampling of the type of stories he told at Y&R...

Mysteries - One in particular was the excellent Cameron Kirsten story. Sharon abandoned her family and was going to have an affair with Cam. He proceeded to beat her almost to death and rape her. She managed to escape by "killing" him. When she and nemesis Nikki found out he was alive, they were in the sewer looking for his body. In the end there was a big plane crash (with a real plane), which was partially done on location. This was a classic soap story with lots of action, family conflict, humor and intrigue.

Teen stories - One of his biggest teen stories was when 15 year old Lily met a peodophile, Kevin, online and began seeing him. Her family and friends objected, but he told her they were haters who didn't love her. In the end he forced her into sex, gave her an STD which could prevent her from having kids and then blamed the STD on her. He later tried to murder her best friend for trying to save Lily from him.

Then Smith tied him to a popular character and worked to redeem him by explaining his past to us. They didn't try to saint him either. Kevin still did bad things and they never ignored his past crimes (until LML took over).

Romance - There was the Jack/Phyllis pairing and ultimate break up which handed Michelle Stafford her second Emmy. For teens you have Colleen dating the much older JT, which her family hated. Even Katherine, who is in her late 70s, was engaged to be married while Smith was writing the show.

Diversity - Although I think he neglected romance for Dru and Neil, he did feature a ton of minority characters in frontburner stories. I can see long neglected characters like Lexie and Abe benefitting from his presence, as well as exciting newcomers. He never allowed one group to dominate the show, there was something for everyone.

Thank you so much for reminding me of the brilliance that was once Y&R, and the greatness that Jack Smith brought to the show. I would love for Scott to bring Smith to DAYS, and I'm one of Hogan's biggest fans. :)

Mason
Member Avatar

I could possibly get behind the idea of a Sheffer/Smith team...although I'm a little leery because of all the damage Smith did to my Sheila...<_<

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Mason AKA Hogan
Sep 4 2007, 03:09 PM
I could possibly get behind the idea of a Sheffer/Smith team...although I'm a little leery because of all the damage Smith did to my Sheila...<_<

Keep in mind, he also helped to integrate Sheila into B&B's canvas. As much as her screwed that character up, he did help to establish her.

Anyway, Sheila's destruction was a collaborative effort between Brad Bell, Jack Smith, and Lynn Marie Latham. LOL!

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Mason AKA Hogan
Sep 4 2007, 04:09 PM

I still don't see the Sheila storyline being that horrible. I mean, the disguises got annoying, but what was so bad about the storyline? I guess you could say it was because she never really got to Lauren after months and months of stalking. I guess that would make it bad in some eyes.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

I don't think Days needs another new writer and the show definitely can't afford one (Corday is still paying off JER). However, I don't know how Jack Smith would go over with Days' core audience, sure they're used to a snail pace type of storytelling with JER's crap, but Smith's is a totally different type of vision.

I don't see Scott jumping at the chance to hire Smith anyway, since there's rumored bad blood between them. Remember when Ed Scott was fired in 2001 and David Shaughnessy replaced him? When David left, Sony made Jack Smith EP and rehired Scott in a nothing position as supervising producer, there's stories that the two couldn't stand one another.

Anyway, I think the Y&R exile that would probably be a better fit for Days would probably be Trent Jones. He's extremely versatile and has a history of being apart of successful writing teams at other shows (SFT, GL, ATWT).

But I go back to my original thought, why hire another new writer? Especially one that knows nothing about the history of the show, has never written for it, and probably doesn't know what made these characters special? Should they hire someone new, it could be another Hogan debacle.

bellcurve
Unregistered

Also, remember it was just revealed that Jack left his HW position(either fired or quit) because of a personal crisis in his family.

And Sheila's death may have been a Lethal decision. Wasn't she consulting around the end of the year?!
Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Days can't go through another HW change. It's too late in the game with the show's future in doubt. The show has gone through enough change as is.

Two of the biggest problems with Hogan's stint has been interference and execution. Hogan's writing is fine but he needs help balancing things out too and that is why he needs more writers who know the show on staff and a co-HW who is familiar with Days history and the characters. That would really improve things in my view.

Jack Smith is not a bad writer but my fear with him is he was very Reilly-like at times, especially in regards to pacing. I would hate for him to come to Days and think that he has to go way over the top due to Days' recent reputation of being campy. I just think Smith would end up doing more harm then good.

At this stage in the game, if Hogan had to go, I would pick someone who has already worked on the show and has experience. I would not hire Sheri Anderson as anything more then a co-HW. Same goes for Beth Milstein. Brash and Cwickly or one of them would be fine. I am behind that. I just think firing Hogan and going through yet another overhaul is not the right thing to do right now unless you have someone waiting in the wings that has already been with the show. I think Hogan just needs a little help and needs to also be left alone by a certain EP we all know loves to stick his nose where it doesn't belong.

Mason
Member Avatar

Whatever they do, I just don't want DAYS to go through yet another transitional phase. That and the budget issue are my main concerns with getting a new HW.

King
Member Avatar

Hoagie's pacing is off. Some stories are too fast, some are too slow. The ones that are too fast should be slower and the ones that are slow should be the fast ones. It's the oddest thing.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

King
Sep 4 2007, 04:42 PM
Hoagie's pacing is off. Some stories are too fast, some are too slow. The ones that are too fast should be slower and the ones that are slow should be the fast ones. It's the oddest thing.

Things did begin to move along at a fair pace when Hogan first tookover. Its almost as if the writers are lacking storyline concepts, so they're stalling for as long as possible.

Mason
Member Avatar

Jinxed Soul
Sep 4 2007, 05:03 PM
King
Sep 4 2007, 04:42 PM

Things did begin to move along at a fair pace when Hogan first tookover. Its almost as if the writers are lacking storyline concepts, so they're stalling for as long as possible.

Right now, I think that's exactly what's going on. It's like they have no idea where they're gonna go after the Vendetta and Touch the Sky stories are over, so they're just digging their heels in the dirt.

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

I would love for Jack Smith to take over (since I know JER's not an option). He's definately a favorite of mine and I loved basically all of his stories at Y&R.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply