Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TV GUIDE DAYS ARTICLE; More Ed Scott info...
Topic Started: Sep 4 2007, 03:31 PM (1,705 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

This was posted by Days4Life on SON. Just thought I would bring it here given all the Days rumors and news lately.

Quote:

In the TV Guide that I received today there's an article about Ed Scott taking charge of DAYS. It boils down to taking DAYS back to basics, improving music, lighting, editing, wardrobe, etc. Here's the highlights:

Weak leadership, cheesy production values, mediocre casting, lazy actors, threats of cancellation--DOOL has been plagued by it all lately. But there's a good chance those DAYS are over. After an NBC-enforced shakeup, key producing and casting personnel have been dumped and a new sheriff--Edward Scott, former EP of the Y&R--has taken charge in Salem.

"My plan is to get DAYS back to beautiful basics--real drama with real people" says Scott. "That's why the audience is watching so much reality TV--they want to feel things are really happening." That doesn't mean DAYS will dispense with its crazy trademark theatrics. Notes Scott: "We have some wild stuff coming up with Stefano. In fact, we're going to do "Kill Bill". We just can't afford to do this over the top stuff all the time."

Expect changes in lighting, music, editing, wardrobe and the performances. "The cast isn't used to getting direction, so there's a whole new mind set now. They can no longer just learn the words and blow through scenes. They need to find meaning and levels in the material. Everybody got out of that habit." He's brought along former Y&R casting chief Marnie Saitta, a sign that acting chops and not just looks will be required of newbies.

Scott is known for his alpha dog style and has already thrown down the gauntlet to NBC. Last January at TCA the network brass pretty much declared DAYS a goner. "We know that is looming over us" Scott admits. "My goal is to make DAYS such a great show that there's no way they're going to be able to cancel it. They'll be embarrassed to do it."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Ed Scott, I think I love you.

However, in regards to your last statement, I don't think there's anything that can be done to change NBC's mind concerning the future of DAYS.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Nice article, but until we see it on our screens, it's just talk for now.

I mean Days can be the best quality show on television, but if ratings continue to slide, production costs continue to go up, and no real profit is made, NBC won't think twice about canceling this show. Renewing a show has NOTHING to do with the quality of the show. Though, it would be nice for Days have to a creative resurgence, if NBC cancels it.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

It was said before Ed's hiring was Sony's decision but now it's being claimed to be NBC's. If it is NBC's, that does show some level of support that they are still willing to make changes. Still, it's hard to believe. I do like Ed's confidence and, at the very least, he can make Days great so it can move elsewhere.

I just love Ed though. He is so serious about things and really seems ready to do whatever it takes. I can't wait to see this "Kill Bill" stuff.

I know I am always optimistic but I can tell this is going to work. The actors have already stepped up. BD has improved so much and the execution is so much better now.

King
Member Avatar

Sweet Jesus.

I just orgasmed in my pants.

Mason
Member Avatar

King
Sep 4 2007, 03:37 PM
Sweet Jesus.

I just orgasmed in my pants.

You're not the only one! :lol:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

LMAO King :lol: .

Just thought I would mention that the lazy actors mention is not a good sign for Drake IMO.

I also wonder if the mention of mediocre casting means people like Marcus Patrick and Trevor Donovan might be goners.

King
Member Avatar

THANK YOU, ED SCOTT! God knows why it has taken YEARS for someone to come in and say all of this stuff.

LMAO at people BLOWING through the scenes. It's so true. Farah Fath and Drake popped into my mind when he said that.

I heart Ed Scott! Thank you for having the brains and the balls to say what we've all been saying for...eight years?

King
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Sep 4 2007, 03:39 PM
LMAO King :lol: .

Just thought I would mention that the lazy actors mention is not a good sign for Drake IMO.

I know.

Definitely.

He FLEW into my head when I read that.

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

:hail: Ed Scott for having the balls to say what's up and not beat around the bush with what's wrong with DAYS has has been for years.

Mason
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Sep 4 2007, 03:39 PM
I also wonder if the mention of mediocre casting means people like Marcus Patrick and Trevor Donovan might be goners.

Oh, dear Ed Scott in Soap Heaven, PLEASE make this come true!!!

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

They need to ditch Trevor Donovan and Marcus Patrick because they cannot act worth shit.

Mason
Member Avatar

Rick
Sep 4 2007, 06:22 PM
They need to ditch Trevor Donovan and Marcus Patrick because they cannot act worth shit.

Yep, and throw Shelley Hennig out with them!

DaysFanJean
Member Avatar

After only a few days of seeing the changes Ed has made, we can all appreciate that he has already made strides. I'm hopeful.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason AKA Hogan
Sep 4 2007, 06:32 PM
Rick
Sep 4 2007, 06:22 PM

Yep, and throw Shelley Hennig out with them!

I wouldn't do that. Shelley has great potential and she shows it when given proper material, most notably with SN and MBE.

Days4Life
Unregistered

I haven't been a big fan of Shelley Henning, but I thought she did a good job today in her scenes with SN. She displayed a maturity and a presence that has been lacking in the past; she always came across as a whiny brat. Also, Bryan Datillo has shown huge improvement in the last week. If this is due to Ed Scott, then I'm very impressed with him already.
Quote Post Goto Top

Ridge
Member Avatar

Everyone has sweet nothings to say about DAYS when they first join, sadly, DAYS is always in a bad state that ANYTHING anyone says sounds like it is awesome. DAYS needs someone who will not talk the talk but will walk the walk and for that we will just have to wait and see.

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

I'm really excited and a tiny bit jealous as well. You guys should turn on Y&R and see how far those primetime-level production values have fallen without a single budget cut. It goes to show that Ed Scott was doing lots of great work behind the scenes.

I still say the show can be saved in terms of ratings. Most of the cancellation articles have mentioned that the show has poor lead-ins. Now it's getting a fourth hour of Today, which could help it.

My thing is, will the writing be up to par? I just don't think Hogan has it at DAYS.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Aw. Days hiring on talent and not looks is going to be really bizarre at first. But it's reassuring to know that Jamie from "The Real World" has acting chops, y'know?

Dee
Member Avatar

I don't think the actors are lazy, they did the best with what they were given. As a fan of Days for 40 yrs, I have to say that I hope they bring it back to the glory days.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply