Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Pick 5
James Harmon Brown/Barbara Esensten (AMC) 18 (12.6%)
Jean Pasanante (ATWT) 21 (14.7%)
Brad Bell (B&B) 11 (7.7%)
Hogan Sheffer (Days) 26 (18.2%)
Robert Guza (GH) 19 (13.3%)
David Kreizman (GL) 15 (10.5%)
Ron Carvilati (OLTL) 5 (3.5%)
James E. Reilly (PSNS) 4 (2.8%)
Lynn Latham (Y&R) 18 (12.6%)
None of them; they are all doing fine. 2 (1.4%)
All of them; start with a clean slate. 4 (2.8%)
Total Votes: 143
Which Writer Needs To Be Replaced the Most?; (pick 5)
Topic Started: Sep 6 2007, 02:07 PM (601 Views)
Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Which writer needs to be replaced the most?

Pick 5
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I went with writers who will basically only write for a few people.

AMC (Brown/Esensten) - never have impressed me and not impressing me at all with this Crash story so far; still too much Kendall.

ATWT (JP) - writes for the same damn people pretty much all the time. Her time is done. She needs to go today.

Days (HS) - Hogan is writing what he wants to write and it is still for teh same people. And the teeny bopper set will wrap up the TTS story and move right into another while J/M and Bope continue to function as window-dressing. Hogan is a total failure at Days IMO. For Hogan every story ends up being a Sami story too.

GH (Guza) - Every story turns into a Jason story lately - even Alan's death. Write for someone new for a change. You have more history with GH than any current head writer and you still don't use the history of the show. You have ties all the way back to the early 80's, but who would know it.

Y&R (Latham) - Latham I had high hopes for you. Like Sheffer you are a good writer but not for Y&R. Just like he has ruined Days you have ruined Y&R.

I know many want Kriezman gone, and I admit he does have his problems, but the biggest plus he has going for him is he writes for everyone. At least currently he does, and I love that. GL has better balance than any show on right now.

Mason

My 5 choices were:

Jean Passanante, ATWT
Brad Bell, B&B
Robert Guza, GH
David Kreizman, GL
Lynn Marie Latham, Y&R

Gregorzick

Call me a bitch if you must but I want them all gone. None of them are like Nixon and Bell in their prime who knew how many characters they could write for and were able to spread the storyline wealth around. Where are the underrated Edith Sommer and Robert Soderberg (SFT, GL, and ATWT) when they you need them? They knew how to create exciting new characters like Joyce Coleman and breathe life into old characters like Donald Hughes on ATWT back in the day. Jim Reilly isn't fit to touch Don Becker's and Mary Wood's old typewriters. I'll take an old radio soap like THE LIFE OF MARY SOUTHERN over PASSIONS any day. Where are the Henry Slesars and Irving Vendigs of today? Half of today's soaps want to be a knockoff of either DARK SHADOWS and THE EDGE OF NIGHT. Problem is none of today's writers have the imagination of Gordon Russell and/or Sam Hall. That is especially true of AMC's Brown and Esssenstein. Speaking of underrated writing teams, am I the only one here who remembers the likes of Ira and Jane Avery (SECRET STORM and GL), John Pickard and Frank Provo (FROM THESE ROOTS and LOVE OF LIFE), and David Lesan and Julian Funt (YOUNG DR. MALONE and SEARCH FOR TOMORROW)? Is Rita Lakin who once wrote for THE DOCTORS still alive? I just can't believe that the hacks that are writing today's soaps are the best writers that the networks can find? They might be cheap but it shows up in the product on the television scene. No wonder the ratings are so low!!!

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Very well put Gregorzick. I totally agree with you. There are way too many writers out there not working that should be the ones who are working.

I started to vote for all of them too, and I noticed that someone else did.

We would definitely be better off with a complete new start on all of them. Hell we have some script writers that I feel sure would be better headwriters than the one who is getting paid the big bucks.

I don't know if Lakin is still alive or not. Have not heard anything of her in a long time. A Doctors script writer that I wish would come back to soaps is Elizabeth Levin - she was so talented.

oakdalelover

I agree with you too,Gregorzick!

Very well put!! Soderberg/Sommer is probably one of the best writing teams of all time!

Gregorzick

Steve, I don't know what Elizabeth Levin is doing these days. Would love to see her headwritng a soap today. :) She could start by cleaning up Kreizman's mess on GL.

Mason

Gregorzick
Sep 14 2007, 02:35 PM
Steve, I don't know what Elizabeth Levin is doing these days. Would love to see her headwritng a soap today. :) She could start by cleaning up Kreizman's mess on GL.

If she did, she'd certainly have her work cut out for her. I just want Kreizman gone from GL sooo damn bad. The fact that he actually won an Emmy for writing is a total joke.

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

In a way, I want to say none (and that was one of my 5 votes), because all of those writers I have seen good work from...some more than others (except for Hogan). I really don't think they're all that bad (once again, except for Hogan). In fact, some of them are my favorite writers.

Mason

psychofan
Sep 14 2007, 10:14 PM
In a way, I want to say none (and that was one of my 5 votes), because all of those writers I have seen good work from...some more than others (except for Hogan). I really don't think they're all that bad (once again, except for Hogan). In fact, some of them are my favorite writers.

What about Latham? Remember what she did to Sheila? :angry:

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

Mason AKA Hogan
Sep 14 2007, 10:39 PM
psychofan
Sep 14 2007, 10:14 PM
In a way, I want to say none (and that was one of my 5 votes), because all of those writers I have seen good work from...some more than others (except for Hogan).  I really don't think they're all that bad (once again, except for Hogan).  In fact, some of them are my favorite writers.

What about Latham? Remember what she did to Sheila? :angry:

*sigh* Yes, I remember. That was awful....but when it comes right down to it, I've enjoyed more of her stuff than I haven't enjoyed.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

I have to give it to Hogan cuz I only watch DAYS off and on.

juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

Frankly, they're all just doing the best they can, if you wanna know the truth.

I HATE that Hogan Sheffer is tops on this list when he's the best head writer to hit days since Margaret DePriest.

Mason

^ Especially when you have REAL hacks like Passanante, Kreizman, and B&E up there.

daysfan
Member Avatar

My choices were B&E, JP, LML, Guza, and JER.

JER....okay he is good for Passions I'll admit but after eight years he gets TIRESOME. Every story is painfully slow and doesn't do a thing.

JP...obvious reasons.

LML can't write in Daytime. She needs to go back to primetime.

Guza loves the mob so much it confuses me. He has got to go.

B&E honestly to me have done nothing different than Mctavish. AMC is STILL unwatchable to me.

In my book, Sheffer still has a chance, and Ron for OLTL seems pretty good. Unsure about David Kreizman.

But I do think Daytime needs NEW WRITERS. Not bringing back old writers of the past, but fresh blood. That does not mean bring people who wrote primetime either. I mean new aspiring soap opera writers.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply