Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How to Save Soaps; Annual SOD Article
Topic Started: Sep 12 2007, 06:08 PM (450 Views)
ljacks13
Member Avatar

Interesting Article on to save the soaps from cancellation from the new SOD.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Maybe they should quit focusing on how to get more avenues for people to watch the shows (DVR, etc.) and just focus on fixing the shows.

They can blame it on whatever they want but the truth is that the people behind the soaps is what is killing soaps - not technology, not OJ, no women's lib. I used to buy into some of that, but it is not what is making me quit watching and not what I hear from so many others.

The shows have shitty stories now and no balance.

Why not work on making the shows better themselves.

King
Member Avatar

Yep.

The people in charge just don't get it.

They haven't in the last decade, and they never will.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I agree. While some of those outside influences began the downward spiral, the past 5-7 years has all been bad writing and poor decision making on the part of TPTB. Sure, the changing viewer climate is a reason but the blame mostly falls on the shows themselves. If they put out a better product, fans would feel more inclined not to tune out, even if they lead busies lives and have more choices now.

bellcurve
Unregistered

I find it interesting that SOD, a magazine that pretty much supports coddling and asskissing the nets to get their scoops and interviews, is asking how the soaps can be saved. According to the networks, nothing's wrong with them.
Quote Post Goto Top

kserox10

Intresting

Mason
Member Avatar

SteveFrame
Sep 12 2007, 06:44 PM
Maybe they should quit focusing on how to get more avenues for people to watch the shows (DVR, etc.) and just focus on fixing the shows.

They can blame it on whatever they want but the truth is that the people behind the soaps is what is killing soaps - not technology, not OJ, no women's lib. I used to buy into some of that, but it is not what is making me quit watching and not what I hear from so many others.

The shows have shitty stories now and no balance.

Why not work on making the shows better themselves.

Damn straight! If only they could just get over their egos, and admit that what they're doing right now is just not working...

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Shitty stories and lack of balance aside, I think they also need to focus on finding (and properly integrating) fresh, young, charismatic actors.

I just scrolled through the entertainment section of Yahoo! news, and there was Susan Lucci's face next to an article about the storyline with Kendall's son, with Lucci's character name in the headline. The story was discussed but she was the lure.

Quality only has so much value in terms of increasing the audience. They need to find more Lucci's- likable actors who understand that they probably don't have enough talent to be as big a star outside of daytime as they can be staying in the genre. And they can either look for new people or try to leverage what they've got (like what Days/NBC seems to be doing with Sweeney).

With all their focus on new ways to reach the audience, and with Disney's experience at creating stars, I'm honestly a bit surprised they haven't done more in this area.

Q Steph
Member Avatar
Put your hands up for Obama

I've all but given hope that the genre can be saved. Too much lack of balance, cultural integration, tepid stories and waning interest.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply