Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: James Scott interview
Topic Started: Sep 13 2007, 08:20 AM (2,172 Views)
Jonatha

(excerpt)

SOW: Did you ever envision EJ turning into such a pivotal character?

JS: No. I've been lucky that it's evolved into that. I don't know if that was the idea when I came on. Maybe it's just what came about. I was lucky with the character. I was lucky with the material. I was also very lucky that it played to my strength a bit. I like being a charming little bastard. Can you print that? It all seemed to work.

SOW: What are your thoughts when you learned Thaao Penghlis and Joseph Mascolo were returning as fellow DiMeras?

JS: I saw it as a story moving into a new area. It was good in a number of ways. I certainly found the opportunity to work with Thaao and Joe challenging and rewarding.

SOW: Did you feel any pressure to keep up with such day time legends?

JS: It's hard to escape Thaao's shadow. He's been around for such a long time. There's almost nothing he doesn't know. Obviously, that can be a little intimidating at times.

SOW: What about Joe and the whole aura of Stefano?

JS: That was funny. Joe called me "Elvis' for the first week he came on, in front of and behind the cameras. "Hey, Elvis, how ya doin?" I'd say, "Okay. But it's James, actually." "Nah, Elvis." Joe's very nice, and he has a warm heart. He and Thaao are both larger than life. They play big characters of strength and are both very charming.

SOW: Do you take issue with anything else about American soaps?

JS: One of the problems I have with daytime is that they tackle hard issues in a very soft way. You don't tackle issues like rape, murder and various different crimes in a way that betrays the issue. You don't take the punch out of it if you're going to have a topic like that. You're only diluting your own story, you're own program with your own content, if you don't address in the [proper] way.

SOW: It sounds like you're referring to the Sami/EJ rape.

JS: Oh, that's a joke. Come on. The rape was a step too far.

SOW: In that it's been swept under the rug with no after effect for Sami?

JS: Yes. It's hard, although it's easier for me to play the rapist. It's tougher for Alison (Sweeney, Sami). EJ sees it as an invasion. In his head, he thinks that he is the one for Sami. It's stupid, I've got to be honest. It's a bit of a quantum leap to think that this girl was raped, didn't have to have any therapy, and was able to bounce back and be completely fine, because we don't want to deal with the potential and fallout of that. That's the stuff that dilutes the show. I sincerely believe that all these things I'm bitching and moaning about are going to be tightened up considerably under the new direction of Ed Scott. Just in the short time he's been here, there's been a significant change. There has been a serious force that's come through the show since he turned up. You can see it on the monitors. You can see it in the taping. You hear it from the actors who are walking off the set. There's sense of direction that hasn't been there [before].

SOW: Were you at all hesitant about playing the character that was pitted between Sami and Lucas?

JS: Not at all. I thought it would be a fun thing to do, take the perfect little couple and drive a wedge between them. I like playing that. I like that when it was a little less obvious who this guy was, when there was a little more mystery to him. That was a good time to be EJ.

SOW: How do you feel about that aspect of American daytime, 'the shirtless man syndrome?"

JS: If it's appropriate, then I feel it's fine. If it's just for the sake of [doing it], it's not. There was one scene when I got started on the show where I was going out to get the mail. I bumped into Austin, and we had a long conversation, almost rubbing nipples with each other. It was completely pointless. There are other scenes where it's appropriate. But the nice thing about being a bad guy is that nobody really wants to sleep with you. So there aren't a lot of shirts coming off for EJ.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Jonatha, how long is the article if this is just an excerpt?

Ponz
Member Avatar

I find the two interviews from Bryan and James hilariously ironic. Are we sure SOW didn't mix them up? :lol:

BradyDiva06
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting. I have to send James a memo you won the Adonis people like to see those pointless shirtless scenes. lol

Jonatha

IMissAremid
Sep 13 2007, 08:46 AM

It's just a bit longer with James discussing how he met his girlfriend. No other references to Days or the Sami/Lucas/EJ triangle. James is quite a talker. He does mention being let go from AMC and that he was disappointed with that. He also says that the rumors are true; James Reilly hand picked him personally for the character of EJ. If you want the rest of it, I'll type it up for everyone a bit later. I wanted to get the 'meat' of the interview out before the personal life things.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar

Jonatha
Sep 13 2007, 08:59 AM
IMissAremid

It's just a bit longer with James discussing how he met his girlfriend. No other references to Days or the Sami/Lucas/EJ triangle. James is quite a talker. He does mention being let go from AMC and that he was disappointed with that. He also says that the rumors are true; James Reilly hand picked him personally for the character of EJ. If you want the rest of it, I'll type it up for everyone a bit later. I wanted to get the 'meat' of the interview out before the personal life things.

Thanks!

I would like to see the rest so if you typed it up when you have time I'd really appreciate it.

pspcindy
Member Avatar

Thanks so much Jonatha!

I had no idea the new SOW had an inteview with James.

I always enjoy hearing his take on what his character is doing or had done.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I find it funny that not all but many EJami fans don't see the rape but even James Scott sees the rape and says it went too far.

And I definitely see that from him and not from the show or definitely not from the Lumi fan base. He is fussing about some of the same things that many of us have been bitching about for months. He sees all the inconsistencies. And even says the rape was a step too far.

Thank you James.

PoisonIvy
Member Avatar

Thanks so much for posting this! I'm actually eager to go out and buy it now :D

He's absolutely right - it's the half assed way that DAYS dealt with that entire storyline that created the mess they're dealing with now. They should have never done it.

Jonatha

IMissAremid
Sep 13 2007, 09:26 AM
Jonatha
Sep 13 2007, 08:59 AM
IMissAremid

Thanks!

I would like to see the rest so if you typed it up when you have time I'd really appreciate it.

Here's the rest:

SOW: You landed on Days right after being killed off on AMC. Did you see that coming?

JS: No. It was a shock. I got 3 weeks notice that I was going to be blown up. That's it. Bang! You're dead. Interestingly enough, just a few weeks before I had a conversation with the executive producer, who had bent over backwards to assure me that everything was fine. That's the way they do it, though, I suppose. If I was to walk into work tomorrow and get fired from Days of Our Lives it would be a much easier thing to deal with, because you learn. People come and go all the time. I was lucky to have been able to have maintained a run for as long as I have.

SOW: Is it true that former head writer James E. Reilly handpicked you to play EJ?

JS: Yes. I guess he was a fan of mine. He'd seen my work on AMC and actually conceived EJ with me in mind. My manager got a phone call pretty soon after the end of [my run as Ethan on] AMC about the role coming up on Days and was asked if I would be interested in it. We went back and forth a little. I wasn't sure I wanted to do another soap opera. I also wasn't sure about what my next move was going to be. It was pilot season in New York. Things were going well there. But the more I understood about the role, the more exciting an opportunity it became. So I got rid of my apartment in New York, came to LA, and found a nice little guest house in the Hills. I moved in there and have been very happy.

SOW: Prior to AMC and Days you appeared on the British soap 'EastEnders' how would you compare British and American soaps?

JS: They are completely different. The foundation of American soap opera is that people are beautiful, rich and living fantastic lives. Viewers connect to the characters through escapism, and through fantasy. The primary weakness in writing in that environment is that if someone can jump on a private jet or pay for a company, it becomes rich and more plot-driven than character-driven. In England, soaps are character-driven. Most soap operas are set in working class environments and are about people who are struggling financially. There is no private jet to get on. There is no swimming pool. There is none of that shit. And you know what? It makes for a better show. In England the audience connects to the characters because they can relate to them. England is a working-class country. Their soap characters work in markets and bars. They are not exciting, rich and glamorous. American soap opera can learn a lot from British soap opera.

SOW: You mentioned having a girlfriend, who you preferred not to name during the previous conversation. What can you share about her?

JS: I do have a girlfriend. We actually met at the Laurel Canyon dog park. I don't actually have any dogs, but I found it's a great place to meet chicks [laughs]. No, I'm kidding. I took my dogs for a walk there. She saw me as I walked in, and I saw her. I thought she had a great bottom, and she thought I was gay. It was the beginning of something beautiful.

SOW: How did you get past her initial impression?

JS: When we started talking, she realized pretty quickly that I wasn't gay. It all worked out fine. I threw a ball to my dog and her general direction then, the dog didn't go and grab it, which is a good thing because I had to walk past her and pick it up. I said hello, which is strange because I never do that. I'm shy. Fortunately, on this occasion, I managed to get over that. We chatted for a bit. Then, I asked for her number. I got in my car, drove about a half a mile down the road, called her up and asked what she was doing the next night.

SOW: That must have been well-received.

JS: She agreed to go out with me so that was good.

SOW: How long have you been going out?

JS: Over a year.

SOW: What's a typical evening for the two of you?

JS: I like to play air hockey, because I'm good at it. We sometimes go to the pub and play a game of that or pool. We like playing silly games. We go bowling sometimes. We take our dogs for runs at the beach. And watch movies at home, too.

SOW: Does your girlfriend watch Days?

JS: She does watch the show on occasion. She also tends to have a great laugh at my expense at the funny montages that people put together of me on YouTube. Her favorite one is called Juicy. Juicy EJ. It's embarrassing. It's lots of scenes of me taking my shirt off.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar

Cindy, did James just give a montage you made a shoutout in SOW? I think he did. :D

Thanks for posting Jonatha.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

Jonatha
Sep 13 2007, 09:20 AM
But the nice thing about being a bad guy is that nobody really wants to sleep with you. So there aren't a lot of shirts coming off for EJ.

:lol:

Is he sure about that?

Thanks Jonatha

pspcindy
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Sep 13 2007, 10:18 AM
Cindy, did James just give a montage you made a shoutout in SOW? I think he did. :D

Thanks for posting Jonatha.

Mary, I can't believe that!!!

Sorry if I embarrassed him, but after all, he is juicy!!! LOLOL

Red Mist
Member Avatar

:D Thank you thank you for posting this. I adore James Scott. :smooch:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Good interview. It's funny how both he and Bryan did interviews in the same week. It's good hype for the story for sure.

I like how upset he seems about the rape angle. He should be. The cast seems to love Ed and they seem to have alot of faith in him. I feel confident that he is going to improve on the things that have hurt the stories, including the rape aspect of the Sami/EJ stuff.

I love that he spoke his mind though.

Deleted User
Deleted User

It's amazing how people read differently into things, Steve. When I read what James said, I thought he meant he show went too far by trying to suggest what happened was rape, lol.

He didn't explain what he meant by that, not in certain terms. Unless I skipped a line (I am at work.)

Anyway, is anyone else shocked by this interview? Usually soap stars, from what I've seen, don't dare say a DAMN thing negative. James must have -- something.

And HOLY CRAP! He just ended the debate on who created EJ, I think. (This is for those who said Kola created him.) Looks like JER did after all. Hell, he handpicked James to play the pivotal role. That's too cool.
Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

JSF everything he says after it supports his statement. He says it is difficult for him to play the rapist (he calls EJ a rapist) and then goes on to say that the show doesn't want to deal with the fallout of the rape. And hopes that Ed Scott will change that.

If he had not gone on to say all that I might believe what he said was a misstep or a joke but I fully believe he meant that it was a step too far.

And it was.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Quote:

SOW: Is it true that former head writer James E. Reilly handpicked you to play EJ?

JS: Yes. I guess he was a fan of mine. He'd seen my work on AMC and actually conceived EJ with me in mind.

Maybe now that it's confirmed, people will believe me :P :D

adrianna
Unregistered

I like James diss against Julie Carruthers and AMC LOL To tell an actor to his face all is well and then a week later admitt you lied to his face. What a wench!

I believe James simply stated he does not like how daytime TV trivilizes serious issues. There was nothing less or more to his statement to me. I am glad he likes Ejami!

Quote Post Goto Top

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Y'know, it's really a shame that I'm tired of the character and hate the Sami/EJ pairing (not a fanbase thing- I hate Lucas too now) because the guy is awesome.

Thanks for taking the time to type and post!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply