Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days:Ashley Benson not returning
Topic Started: Sep 17 2007, 03:47 PM (1,606 Views)
Mason
Member Avatar

Why does the show need Jack to keep the other Johnsons around? Steve, Adrienne, Kayla and Stephanie (by association only) seem to be doing fine on their own.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Exactly. I love Jack but why should a whole family leave just because one family member is gone?

If we use that logic, maybe the Horton's should leave the show because Jennifer and Abby both left.

The show needs all the fans it can get and Steve/Kayla may not bring in as much as they used to (as ratings seem to indicate) but I am sure they have some people watching.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

The Johnsons are fine where they are. For those that didn't watch in the 80s, they wouldn't even know Jack was part of that family. Jack Deveraux is not the staple of that family. That position belong to Steve.

Sephora
Unregistered

KristianFanForever
Sep 18 2007, 09:38 AM
The only young Horton female left is Ciara.

Are the Horton's really THAT important?? Other shows survive with more than 2 "core" families and do much better than Days. And who knows, Nick could have a sister somewhere.
Quote Post Goto Top

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Sephora
Sep 18 2007, 03:10 PM
KristianFanForever
Sep 18 2007, 09:38 AM
The only young Horton female left is Ciara.

Are the Horton's really THAT important?? Other shows survive with more than 2 "core" families and do much better than Days. And who knows, Nick could have a sister somewhere.

The Hortons are the foundation on which Days was established. I would certainly say they're of the most important part of Days history and should be treated as such. Ever since the 80's and with the pesky Brady invasion, the Hortons have been more and more decreased.

The same should be true for GL and the Bauers, since only one Bauer is on contract these days. However, Days certainly has a better budget than GL...

Mason
Member Avatar

On DAYS, the Hortons are most certainly that important.

Evan
Member Avatar

Jack isn't missed?
I beg to differ!

Mason
Member Avatar

Evan
Sep 18 2007, 05:50 PM
Jack isn't missed?
I beg to differ!

No one said Jack wasn't missed, it's just not necessary to have him on the show in order to have the rest of the Johnson family on (much as I wish Jack WERE back on).

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I'm going against the crowd and saying the Hortons aren't so critical right now. They're important as a touchstone, and they have Maggie and Alice for that. But as a throughline to any kind of future, I'd say they're second to the Bradys (and any subgroup of the Bradys created through marriages), and we've got a whole mess of those.

Abby can come back later, though. Or not- she's not interesting enough to be squeezed in, imho.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

The Hortons are not as significant anymore, so it seems. The Brady's and Dimera's have become prominent. But, the Horton's were the building blocks of the show. I consider them to be important, and would love to have the J&J return.

DaysFanJean
Member Avatar

The show is the Horton's to me. The further away from them the writer's get, the worse it becomes. They are the glue, the story, the impetus. I hated the Brady family when they came in. It took Days down a notch. Then the Johnson's took it down another notch. They don't bring to the stories the thrills that John Black brought, the doctors who worked at University Hospital, the attorneys who help shaped and lead Salem. With the cops and Pub of the Brady's, I've learned to live with them as they are hard working, good people. The Johnson's add nothing to the show, even with the elevated to professional Kayla Brady married to the ruffian Steve. They need to go. Adrienne brings nothing good. We don't need a ruffian Cheatin' Heart or her huge family. We need Mike Horton back to deal with his mixed-up son instead. With the three new co-eds with Stephanie and Chelsea in college, there is no need for Abby.

Sephora
Unregistered

px780
Sep 18 2007, 09:12 PM
I'm going against the crowd and saying the Hortons aren't so critical right now. They're important as a touchstone, and they have Maggie and Alice for that. But as a throughline to any kind of future, I'd say they're second to the Bradys (and any subgroup of the Bradys created through marriages), and we've got a whole mess of those.

Abby can come back later, though. Or not- she's not interesting enough to be squeezed in, imho.

This time we agree. I grew up watching this show and while the Hortons were important at one time, the show has moved on. Lucas is a Horton and doesn't even use the name (although rumour is that will be changing) so you have Will, Jerkme, and Nick as Hortons. Hope is still around, but beyond that, it's just not that big of a deal anymore. Abby certainly isn't a critical character and the Hortons aren't a critical family. Not any more. Life changes, things cycle. This show hasn't been about the Hortons in a very long time, IMO.
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply