Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Spinoffs of Y&R and OLTL Possible?
Topic Started: Sep 22 2007, 07:19 PM (529 Views)
Steve Frame
Member Avatar

This is an excerpt from a Variety article about original series on Cable stations. The full article can be found at: http://www.variety.com/article/VR111797247...oryid=2522&cs=1

Another small-sized cabler, SoapNet, is drawing a number of young women new to the network with its first scripted series, "General Hospital: Night Shift." It has started producing original series because its stock in trade -- repeats of same-day broadcast soaps in primetime -- is becoming less relevant in the age of the DVR.

As a result, more original spinoffs are in development at SoapNet, says Brian Frons, president of daytime for the Disney-ABC TV Group, citing "One Life to Live" and "The Young & the Restless" as eager candidates for cloning.

Frons acknowledges that "reruns of off-network shows are far kinder to SoapNet's bottom line." The network will have to develop "the stomach to deal with failure," which comes with greenlighting expensive scripted originals, he says.

The line about the repeats of same-day broadcasts being less relevant is just another indication that evidently the same day broadcasts are not doing that well on Soapnet anymore. I doubt that we will see anymore picked up. And notice he says that "reruns of off-network shows are far kinder to SoapNet's bottom line" and not same day broadcasts. If the show picks up any more shows I don't look for it to be daytime soaps either.

Interesting that he picked OLTL and Y&R as the shows eager to have a spinoff and doesn't even mention his own network's AMC.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

I don't even see how SoapNet could do a Y&R spin-off. I can understand OLTL, because it's ABC-owned, but Y&R isn't.

However, this could be good news for DAYS, if SN's looking to produce more original series. Perhaps it could pick up DAYS in '09, albeit with a greatly reduced budget.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Hmm, I'm surprised at Frons using Y&R as an example, since he obviously had a bias against the show and its ratings dominance a few years back. However, Frons knows Y&R is the probably the only soap that could possibly emulate the success of GH:NS, since Y&R is a strong performer on both daytime and on SoapNet. However, Y&R isn't Disney/ABC owned, but I'm sure they'd have to strike up some deal with Sony, if this were to happen. Sony does have a history of cooperation with Disney/Buena Vista Television though.

Latham is a primetime writer and she specializes in episodic structure, so this could possibly work. However, Y&R in its current state doesn't deserve a spin-off.

OLTL is another iffy situation, given that the show is a NYC based production and its much more expensive to produce a show in NYC, than it is in say LA or Canada.

bellcurve
Unregistered

Would NOT surprise me if SOAPnet decided eventually to scale back the airings of daytime soaps to two times a day or even once a day.
Quote Post Goto Top

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

God, a primetime spinnoff of Y&R would be scary at this point. It would probably be an update of Three's Company, featuring Daniel, Kevin, April, and all their crazy antics.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I'm surprised that OLTL was chosen over AMC. OLTL is usually referred to as ABC's 'red-headed stepchild.' And perhaps LML would do better with if Y&R was a primetime show. Let her run with it, but can we please get a writer that knows how to write daytime in for the regular showing of the soap?

Scott
Member Avatar

I definitely think an AMC spinoff would do better than a OLTL would. Then again I'm sure a Y&R would do even better than both combined.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I have not watch GH: Night Shift because I don't watch SoapNet anymore right now. If they did a Y&R spinoff they might lure me back - just don't know.

I think they should really spice up the show if they are going to do a primetime cable version. TNT has really spiced up their new series esp. Saving Grace. I don't know how many times we have seen actual humping and seen Holly Hunter's behind. The show has a more real feel to it.

I really think stuff like that could lure viewers too. Y&R has really gotten very boring with their sex scenes and they used to be really good at them. They lack any romance to them and any sex appeal to them. But most all the shows are that way now. Primetime would give them a chance to spice it up some. A Y&R or OLTL spinoff either one would be ripe for that.

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

SteveFrame
Sep 23 2007, 01:08 AM
I have not watch GH: Night Shift because I don't watch SoapNet anymore right now. If they did a Y&R spinoff they might lure me back - just don't know.

I think they should really spice up the show if they are going to do a primetime cable version. TNT has really spiced up their new series esp. Saving Grace. I don't know how many times we have seen actual humping and seen Holly Hunter's behind. The show has a more real feel to it.

I really think stuff like that could lure viewers too. Y&R has really gotten very boring with their sex scenes and they used to be really good at them. They lack any romance to them and any sex appeal to them. But most all the shows are that way now. Primetime would give them a chance to spice it up some. A Y&R or OLTL spinoff either one would be ripe for that.

I would've agreed if it hadn't been for the Sharon/Jack romp last week. Goodness gracious those two were about to fall off the bed!

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Wow I missed that one. I am surprised - the love scenes have been so boring for so long. I have been watching live while working and not taping Y&R and occassionally I'll be on the phone. Can't believe I missed that.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

I think I'll pass!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply