Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: I'm NOT throwing in the towel on this show!; Cannot give it up!
Topic Started: Sep 23 2007, 09:48 PM (2,504 Views)
Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

It is VERY hard for me to watch DAYS go through this dark period, what with all-time low ratings and general disdain from MANY fans about the current storylines.

I am also very sad to see the show sort of beginning to sort of fade not only from people's conversations but also from the internet discussion boards (including here and at SON). I just feel like the show is losing its devoted fans and it is really sad to watch.

I want nothing more than success for this show and as easy as it would be to just go with the consensus and kick the show while it is down (since this seems to be the "cool" thing to do or so it seems), when it appears to be trying to rebuild itself, I just cannot do it.

I still love the show, immensely and for some reason, even when I am dissapointed, I just cannot find it in my heart to abandon it or even really criticize it to the point that it has been.

Does anyone know what I am talking about....seriously im not crazy!

I am sad that the show is losing its appeal to the masses and I am sad that it is now the lowest rated show...I am sad that it appears to be all alone in its fight to survive.

I am just not ready to accept a television or daytime environment that does NOT include DAYS OF OUR LIVES.

I am still watching the show, and while I am not loving everything, I do see improvements and I am happy that some of our favorites are finally back (Real Tony, Stefano, Anna, Lexie ect).

I truly hope that the show is going to turn a corner and really just impress everyone. I want the show to just freaking BLOW everyone away and I certainly want it to climb back up the ratings board and prove that it does NOT deserve to be in the ratings cellar.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

I understand your devotion. In fact, I was the same way with "Passions" for years...and even Days when people were talking about how Reilly was "driving the show to cancellation" (if only we had a time machine back then).

But I supposed that all good things must come to an end. Days was the love of my life for about ten years...that's longer than any other show I've watched (well...equal to Friends), but I don't see it as Days anymore. I see it as some horrid mess that Hogan has cooked up. It hurts to watch a show that I once adored go through this. And a year ago I never would've said this, but I wish it had been Days that NBC cancelled instead of Passions.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

psychofan
Sep 23 2007, 09:53 PM
I understand your devotion. In fact, I was the same way with "Passions" for years...and even Days when people were talking about how Reilly was "driving the show to cancellation" (if only we had a time machine back then).

But I supposed that all good things must come to an end. Days was the love of my life for about ten years...that's longer than any other show I've watched (well...equal to Friends), but I don't see it as Days anymore. I see it as some horrid mess that Hogan has cooked up. It hurts to watch a show that I once adored go through this. And a year ago I never would've said this, but I wish it had been Days that NBC cancelled instead of Passions.

I just cannot agree with you AT all about that last sentence.

Thats like asking whether or not you want to remove a cyst on your ass or have your heart surgically removed!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mitch...wonderful post and I agree wholeheartedly.

You and me should talk on AIM or something because we seem so similar in how we deal with things. We stick by Days through it all and the past few years that has proven to be a touch task.

I applaud you, my friend. I am still hopeful things can turn around and that is all anyone can really do at this point. :)

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

I agree Tyler, it's hard to sit down and watch a show you love that you aren't able to recognize anymore. It's not just Days, but all the soaps for that matter. I've traditionally watched all the soaps over the years and I can honestly say that for the first time since I began watching them, I couldn't care less about any of them. The way I see it, if the overall quality of a soap sucks and almost nothing holds my interest, then why am I wasting my time watching it? You might say loyalty, but why should I provide a show with loyalty when that same show has done everything to prove that it's not loyal to me and its very own core audience/fans in general? Viewers are wiser than anyone thinks and the soap ratings are starting to reflect that.

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

Ive been watching DAYS since I was a lil brat in the mid-80s, but I no longer have the deep sense of devotion and connection. I keep rooting for the show, but over the last few years, it continuously fails to deliver, IMO.

But, more power to yaI hope Ed Scott can return Days to its former glory. In the meantime, my Tivo is relocating to Llanview again.

Mason
Member Avatar

Great post Mitch, ITA. I hate that so many people seem to enjoy kicking DAYS when it's down. I don't know why, but for some reason, it's become fashionable to trash DAYS. Frankly, I don't even think the show is THAT bad right now! Sure, it's not perfect, but honestly, when was the last time it was? I can't imagine that in two years time or maybe less, I won't be able to turn on the TV and watch DAYS. It's just unthinkable to me. It's sad to see what was once a powerhouse at the bottom of the ratings, particularly given that it's one of the better soaps currently (not that that's saying much). I especially hate that it has the unfortunate predicament of being the only soap left on a network that clearly does not support it. I hate all of it.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Y&RWorldTurner
Sep 23 2007, 10:00 PM
I agree Tyler, it's hard to sit down and watch a show you love than you aren't able to recognize anymore. It's not just Days, but all the soaps for that matter. I've traditionally watched all the soaps over the years and I can honestly say that for the first time since I began watching them, I couldn't care less about any of them. The way I see it, if the overall quality of a soap sucks and almost nothing holds my interest, then why am I  wasting my time watching it? You might say loyalty, but why should I provide a show with loyalty when that same show has done everything to prove that it's not loyal to me and its very own core audience/fans in general? Viewers are wiser than anyone thinks and the soap ratings are starting to reflect that.

Perhaps it is my loyalty to the actors/characters that I have grown up loving. Maybe it is NOT so much the show as an entity, but the characters and giving up on DAYS for me would be like giving up on THEM.

I also feel like giving my undivided viewership to another soap is like further sending DAYS down the tubes.

I think it has affected my other viewing aswell, I have given up on every single other show, BUT DAYS!

Its weird, I cannot explain it.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Y&RWorldTurner
Sep 23 2007, 10:00 PM
I agree Tyler, it's hard to sit down and watch a show you love than you aren't able to recognize anymore. It's not just Days, but all the soaps for that matter. I've traditionally watched all the soaps over the years and I can honestly say that for the first time since I began watching them, I couldn't care less about any of them. The way I see it, if the overall quality of a soap sucks and almost nothing holds my interest, then why am I wasting my time watching it? You might say loyalty, but why should I provide a show with loyalty when that same show has done everything to prove that it's not loyal to me and its very own core audience/fans in general? Viewers are wiser than anyone thinks and the soap ratings are starting to reflect that.

Very well put Alvin.

I'm sorry I don't feel bad for abandoning any show that I have abandoned. The show abandoned me first. And not just Days but all of them. They don't feel bad for doing that to me so why should I feel bad for doing it to them.

It is hard to feel bad for a show too that felt it could never fall. Days honestly thought it had it's fans and Corday and Hogan are so full of themselves that they felt they could do whatever they wanted and fans would roll over and say yes give your vision to us and we'll just take it.

Sorry not me. And I don't feel bad about that.

Just as Alvin said it is hard to watch a show you don't recognize anymore. Days, AMC, and Y&R in particular still have their strong points, but all 3 are so unrecognizable as to what they should be. I don't feel bad at all. McTavish and Carruthers told AMC fans we don't care what you think or want. Latham does that with Y&R. And Corday and HOgan do it every day with Days now.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I can see what Tyler is saying too because the same way he feels about Passions is how I feel about Days.

I have watched Days since 5 years old. That's 25 years ago. Of course, I didn't understand alot back then but my grandmother taped the show everyday so she could watch it when she got home. When I got older, she gave me these tapes to watch so I could understand the show better. I loved it then and I love it now. Through good times and bad, it doesn't matter. I can always find something I love because I grew up on these families and characters.

I think everyone has one show they are so devoted to that it doesn't make a difference what happens. They are still loyal to it and devoted to it. That is what Days is for me. I have only considered quitting once and that was in winter 2005-the Iraq story and that was because that was offensive and insulting during a period of war, let alone during any period.

That is why I am so passionate about the show and argue so much in support of it, almost so much that I offend and get into trouble. I guess it's just because of my strong feelings towards it and because I feel the way fans think has changed. Twenty years ago fans were more likely to stick by a show and not just turn it off but times have changed and the whole genre is slumping so much I think fans think the only way to get something done to change it is to stop watching. The only problem I have with that is what good is it to stop watching if you end up losing the show for good?

It's an individual choice I guess but I will be there until the end, which I still believe and hope is a long time away.

Keith
Member Avatar

I once felt this way. Hogan has done some great individual things with characters that James Reilly could not touch. But his plots have bombed left and right. I gave him his chance, and I swore up and down it was the last one I'd give this show. Soaps in general just seem lost on me, now.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Mason AKA Hogan
Sep 23 2007, 10:07 PM
I hate that so many people seem to enjoy kicking DAYS when it's down. I don't know why, but for some reason, it's become fashionable to trash DAYS.

Not for me Mason, but for many fans of other shows out there "SOME" Days fans can only blame themselves for that trend.

Some people have always enjoyed trashing Days. That is just part of it just as some Days fans can't help but get in a punch at GH or other shows every chance they get.

But the reason that it has become even more fashionable stems from a discussion that some of us had on AIM one night. When HOgan came aboard SOME NOT ALL Days fans got very cocky. I remember at SON ATWT threads and other threads would be hijacked by Days fans who would proclaim Days victories and that it would be #1 by the fall or at least by Spring with Hogan there. It came a big trend on all soap boards for many of these Days fans to do this.

There are still fans of other soaps out there that remember that and love nothing but to put it back to the Days fans who did that. I don't think there is any real harm in it - just a pushing back of what was done to them.

As I have said before I have no problem with people criticizing the show. That is what a message board is all about. And when ratings are down you have to analyze them and say why. Sadly I think it is only fans who are analyzing why and not TPTB. It seemed like they were earlier this year but did they do anything about it no. So I think they are just on their selfish kick of serving their own agenda and the fans be damned.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Mitchapalooza
Sep 23 2007, 09:48 PM
It is VERY hard for me to watch DAYS go through this dark period, what with all-time low ratings and general disdain from MANY fans about the current storylines.

I am also very sad to see the show sort of beginning to sort of fade not only from people's conversations but also from the internet discussion boards (including here and at SON). I just feel like the show is losing its devoted fans and it is really sad to watch.

I want nothing more than success for this show and as easy as it would be to just go with the consensus and kick the show while it is down (since this seems to be the "cool" thing to do or so it seems), when it appears to be trying to rebuild itself, I just cannot do it.

I still love the show, immensely and for some reason, even when I am dissapointed, I just cannot find it in my heart to abandon it or even really criticize it to the point that it has been.

Does anyone know what I am talking about....seriously im not crazy!

I am sad that the show is losing its appeal to the masses and I am sad that it is now the lowest rated show...I am sad that it appears to be all alone in its fight to survive.

I am just not ready to accept a television or daytime environment that does NOT include DAYS OF OUR LIVES.

I am still watching the show, and while I am not loving everything, I do see improvements and I am happy that some of our favorites are finally back (Real Tony, Stefano, Anna, Lexie ect).

I truly hope that the show is going to turn a corner and really just impress everyone. I want the show to just freaking BLOW everyone away and I certainly want it to climb back up the ratings board and prove that it does NOT deserve to be in the ratings cellar.

Well I sort of agree with you but I sort of don't.

I share your disdain for fans who say they would rather Days be cancelled then continue on in its current state. I would like Days to stay on the air in any incarnation than for it to die. I also am watching and have been watching pretty much every day (save a week in May) and though I thought last week was pretty bad as many weeks in the past 9 months have been pretty bad, but I've stuck with it.

That said, I don't see the point in holding my tongue when it comes to things that bother me about the show. Either the TPTB will see my comments and take them into consideration and change things, or I'll feel better after my venting. I don't think angry people on message boards drive ratings down. It's the people on the message boards IMO who are the die-hards who are the least likely to give up on the show no matter how much it tests their patience.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

PhoenixRising05
Sep 23 2007, 10:12 PM
I can see what Tyler is saying too because the same way he feels about Passions is how I feel about Days.

I have watched Days since 5 years old. That's 25 years ago. Of course, I didn't understand alot back then but my grandmother taped the show everyday so she could watch it when she got home. When I got older, she gave me these tapes to watch so I could understand the show better. I loved it then and I love it now. Through good times and bad, it doesn't matter. I can always find something I love because I grew up on these families and characters.

I think everyone has one show they are so devoted to that it doesn't make a difference what happens. They are still loyal to it and devoted to it. That is what Days is for me. I have only considered quitting once and that was in winter 2005-the Iraq story and that was because that was offensive and insulting during a period of war, let alone during any period.

That is why I am so passionate about the show and argue so much in support of it, almost so much that I offend and get into trouble. I guess it's just because of my strong feelings towards it and because I feel the way fans think has changed. Twenty years ago fans were more likely to stick by a show and not just turn it off but times have changed and the whole genre is slumping so much I think fans think the only way to get something done to change it is to stop watching. The only problem I have with that is what good is it to stop watching if you end up losing the show for good?

It's an individual choice I guess but I will be there until the end, which I still believe and hope is a long time away.

I pretty much agree with you on EVERY point and my loyalty to the show is the same.

I too have watched DAYS since a young kid and I too have had the fortune of a DAYS VHS library handed to me from parents who taped it in the 80's.

GREAT POST!

Sometimes I do not even need to post my thoughts because you sum up what I am pretty much feeling in MANY of your posts!

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Phoenix, I am to the point that I would rather see some of the soaps die while they are at least half way watchable. It is painful to see them limping to their deaths instead of going to them proud. It is sad to watch a soap die a painful death of failed plots, bad writing, character assasination, and not even looking like the same show it was in it's heydey.

As much as I love GL still, I have thought several times it would have been better for the show if CBS had cancelled it than put it on this death budget. The sets are terrible even though the acting is still good. And they desperately need a better writer. Even though the show is better it is not what it should be or what it could be. It is just sad watching it many times.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mitchapalooza
Sep 23 2007, 10:17 PM
PhoenixRising05
Sep 23 2007, 10:12 PM

I have watched Days since 5 years old.  That's 25 years ago.  Of course, I didn't understand alot back then but my grandmother taped the show everyday so she could watch it when she got home.  When I got older, she gave me these tapes to watch so I could understand the show better.  I loved it then and I love it now.  Through good times and bad, it doesn't matter.  I can always find something I love because I grew up on these families and characters. 

I think everyone has one show they are so devoted to that it doesn't make a difference what happens.  They are still loyal to it and devoted to it.  That is what Days is for me.  I have only considered quitting once and that was in winter 2005-the Iraq story and that was because that was offensive and insulting during a period of war, let alone during any period. 

That is why I am so passionate about the show and argue so much in support of it, almost so much that I offend and get into trouble.  I guess it's just because of my strong feelings towards it and because I feel the way fans think has changed.  Twenty years ago fans were more likely to stick by a show and not just turn it off but times have changed and the whole genre is slumping so much I think fans think the only way to get something done to change it is to stop watching.  The only problem I have with that is what good is it to stop watching if you end up losing the show for good?

I pretty much agree with you on EVERY point and my loyalty to the show is the same.

I too have watched DAYS since a young kid and I too have had the fortune of a DAYS VHS library handed to me from parents who taped it in the 80's.

GREAT POST!

Sometimes I do not even need to post my thoughts because you sum up what I am pretty much feeling in MANY of your posts!

You do the same for me, Mitch.

Too bad you don't post more.

It's just sad to see it's come to this. This started happening last Fall, even when the show was on the upswing and it's gotten so much worse since then. Not so much on SON or here but on fanboards, Sony, etc. Some of those people were on Hogan from episode one.

Hogan has flaws and the show needs changes, even if I believe the show is pretty good right now. I guess it just stuns me to see so many quitting. It makes even the most optimistic person like me wonder if it is the end and, if it isn't, how many people will be watching in another month or so?

It's all too depressing for words, which is why I am almost tempted to just stop posting or coming to boards all together. The world is depressing enough and to see so much doom and gloom is heartbreaking. Yes, I know it's a message board and what not and I am not saying that talk has to stop. It's just a personal thing and just seeing Days in last and seeing so many people quitting and arguing over it, it's surreal. It really is.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Mitchapalooza
Sep 23 2007, 08:07 PM
Perhaps it is my loyalty to the actors/characters that I have grown up loving.  Maybe it is NOT so much the show as an entity, but the characters and giving up on DAYS for me would be like giving up on THEM.

I get that. For a long time I was hanging on primarily through Sami, and my own weird need to see how things end. But now I'm on Sweeney overload, Sami's not fun anymore, so...why keep with it?

I don't think that the way fans think have changed. I think the show caused itself major problems by announcing a plan to save Days every 6 months for years and then letting it lapse back into garbage with recycled storylines and half-written characters.

Also, in a way I think the show already is gone for good. But I'm one of those people who would rather a show last for 5 years or so with really tight storylines than try and stretch the name out for decades, so I'm also less concerned about a television landscape without Days. It'll be weird not to see the name anymore, but when the substance of the show isn't what I think Days is...it kind of doesn't matter if the name is there. Plus Passions started kicking ass when it was near its end, so maybe a firm death date will give Days that same spark and at least give some pure entertainment for a consistent period of time.

Nixsoaps
Member Avatar

I always thought that Days would be the soap I would give up out of the 3 I watched. Surprisingly I stopped watching AMC and Y&R at the same time, but stuck with Days. Yes, things do not look great for them right now, but I try to find something positive about each show.

I try not to let the negativity get to me like it use to. I was to the point that I hated everything but was still watching. I have had to realize that everyone doesn't like what I do, which really sucks because I have perfect taste. ( :lol: )

I didn't give up during the JER era, so I am not going to give up now that Ed Scott and Co have come to the show. I think the actors that needed to improve have for the most part. Some of the storylines are taking different directions, although they may be the minor ones.

What is my wish? Stop the Vendetta, get it over with and show us some more characters and new storylines. If the show is going to end, I am just going to enjoy it as much as I possibly can. I don't like what has become of the show, but I still watch the whole thing, everyday without fail.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

SteveFrame
Sep 23 2007, 10:21 PM
Phoenix, I am to the point that I would rather see some of the soaps die while they are at least half way watchable. It is painful to see them limping to their deaths instead of going to them proud. It is sad to watch a soap die a painful death of failed plots, bad writing, character assasination, and not even looking like the same show it was in it's heydey.

As much as I love GL still, I have thought several times it would have been better for the show if CBS had cancelled it than put it on this death budget. The sets are terrible even though the acting is still good. And they desperately need a better writer. Even though the show is better it is not what it should be or what it could be. It is just sad watching it many times.

See, that is where we differ because I love Days too much to just say it should die. yes, it's struggling but it's still there. It still gives me enjoyment on a daily basis even if it's not what it should be.

I sometimes wonder if we all watch more to analyze and criticize rather then enjoy. It just seems like years ago people were patient and were there no matter what for the most part. Sure, there were likes and dislikes but things were not picked apart nearly as much. Even a few years ago, it seemed like even when a show sucked people still found a reason to stick by it and still found something to enjoy. I can be accused of this too. I used to just sit back and watch a show and now I end up questioning why a writer does something or writes a scene a certain way and why an actor plays a scene a certain way and things like that. I never did that before. Those little things meant nothing to me. I often wonder if that is what's changed. We all may pay more attention to those things then we used to.

A good example is JER's first run. I know people on some boards that loved it the first time around and then watch episodes or clips now and think it played them for fools. This same thing has happened to me. I often re-watch episodes from back then and wonder why I didn't notice how so much of the story was based on a simple misunderstanding that could be resolved in 5 minutes. I think people have gotten smarter and more privy to certain things. I think message boards have contributed to that but I also think storytelling has gotten so recycled and stale that people find themself looking at those things more attentively because the stories aren't as engrossing.

I guess, for me, I have accepted the fact that so much has been done that no story is going to be surprising anymore. The one thing I am grateful for is I can still find something I enjoy in all 9 soaps, especially Days, and that nothing takes away from that enjoyment. Maybe it's just me being blind to things but it's the way I am.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

SteveFrame
Sep 23 2007, 10:15 PM
But the reason that it has become even more fashionable stems from a discussion that some of us had on AIM one night. When HOgan came aboard SOME NOT ALL Days fans got very cocky. I remember at SON ATWT threads and other threads would be hijacked by Days fans who would proclaim Days victories and that it would be #1 by the fall or at least by Spring with Hogan there. It came a big trend on all soap boards for many of these Days fans to do this.

I remember that and I thought those going around spouting stuff like that were giving Days fans a bad name. I vividly remember certain Days fans attacking B&B, ATWT, and GH last year when Hogan was hired and saying stuff like "B&B better watch out, because Days is going to be #2 by Christmas!" By contrast, when AMC and OLTL were given new head-writers, I never once saw something similar happen.

You know what else bugs me about this troubling minority? The same people who claim GL/ATWT or AMC/OLTL should be canceled for Days to find a home in either CBS or ABC. I mean, do some people think fairly and with some common sense, stuff like that is giving a bad name to the cause and show they're trying to support. Granted, each soap has its share of looney fans, but some people just go overboard with it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply