Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: I'm NOT throwing in the towel on this show!; Cannot give it up!
Topic Started: Sep 23 2007, 09:48 PM (2,378 Views)
Steve Frame
Member Avatar

For me that is the opposite. I find myself more and more going back to things that I saw as really bad back in the day and now I sit and watch it and would give my eye teeth of the shows today were even half as good as what I thought was bad.

Just an example I watched Capitol during the James Lipton years and it was a big letdown after the Henry Slesar and Peggy O'Shea years on the show. I remember I highly criticized the show then. Not on boards since we didn't have them but to myself.

Recently when I was doing research on Capitol for an article in the history forum I watched some old clips from the Lipton era and I was shocked at actually how good it was compared to the soaps of today. Sure it was still bad compared to Slesar but it was still damn good traditional soap opera at it's best.

On the other hand I have looked back on stuff during JER's 2nd run and wonder how in the world I praised it like I did on boards. So I don't think will ever change even though I see things bad today. If the trends continue that the soaps just keep getting worse instead of better I guess in a few years if Days does move to Direct TV or SoapNet on a shoe string budget I will look back and think well Hogan's tenure wasn't all that bad compared to what we have today.

That's the way I feel about GL. I still enjoy it but seeing those sets and how sad GL looks technically and set wise, it just makes me so sad for the show. And to know that because of all the cuts in budget, the loss of affiliates, the time switching in areas, there is no way GL can compete with other shows. It is just sad.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nixsoaps
Member Avatar

Y&RWorldTurner
Sep 23 2007, 10:47 PM
You know what else bugs me about this troubling minority? The same people who claim GL/ATWT or AMC/OLTL should be canceled for Days to find a home in either CBS or ABC. I mean, do some people think fairly and with some common sense, stuff like that is giving a bad name to the cause and show they're trying to support. Granted, each soap has its share of looney fans, but some people just go overboard with it.

I agree with you. I think it would be completely stupid for ABCD or CBSD to give up any of their soaps for Days. That will not bring in more fans. It could have the opposite affect. I would like to see Days at another network if NBCD doesn't want it anymore, but not at the expense of another fans show.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Y&RWorldTurner
SteveFrame
Sep 23 2007, 10:15 PM
But the reason that it has become even more fashionable stems from a discussion that some of us had on AIM one night. When HOgan came aboard SOME NOT ALL Days fans got very cocky. I remember at SON ATWT threads and other threads would be hijacked by Days fans who would proclaim Days victories and that it would be #1 by the fall or at least by Spring with Hogan there. It came a big trend on all soap boards for many of these Days fans to do this.

I remember that and I thought those going around spouting stuff like that were giving Days fans a bad name. I vividly remember certain Days fans attacking B&B, ATWT, and GH last year when Hogan was hired and saying stuff like "B&B better watch out, because Days is going to be #2 by Christmas!" By contrast, when AMC and OLTL were given new head-writers, I never once saw something similar happen.

You know what else bugs me about this troubling minority? The same people who claim GL/ATWT or AMC/OLTL should be canceled for Days to find a home in either CBS or ABC. I mean, do some people think fairly and with some common sense, stuff like that is giving a bad name to the cause and show they're trying to support. Granted, each soap has its share of looney fans, but some people just go overboard with it.

Oh I totally agree and it only creates animosity between the fans too. And turns off some fans who might be upset with their show and might turn into Days.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

DAYS is a show that is rich in history and has a goldmine of talent just sitting there being wasted. This past year, it's ignored all the greatness that it once was by throwing a bunch of newbies in front burner storylines and expecting them to carry the show while the veterans are reduced to providing commentary while reading old love letters about a fued that I stopped giving a shit about months ago.

I've been told many times that I'm not a true DAYS fan, because I tune out when it's bad, and speak negative all the time. :unsure:

IMHO, A "true" fan of any show is not someone who chants "rah! rah! rah!" to everything and anything on screen. Of course you're going to love a show when it puts out an excellent product. When the show sucks, and continues it's downward spiral for 6-8 months on end without any changes in sight, then sooner or later you have to accept the fact. If the caliber of programming gets so bad that the ratings fall faster than Britney's career, I would imagine the true fans are the to ones getting upset and protesting for a better show. If you break your arm, why would you choose to leave it broken rather than have it fixed?

Every week we hear the same excuses for the ratings being horrible. "Pre-emptions, time slot shanges, lack of primetime promotion, it's summer time, possible cancellation rumors, passions being cancelled, cable shows, talk shows etc" When are we going to wake up and say "Ya know what? Maybe the ratings stink because the writing is not up to par, or all the newbies on screen are not the characters that a million people want to see? They say times have have changed, but the basic premise of the soap opera has not. If times have indeed changed and the soaps are writing to accomodate those changes, they are doing a horrible job.

Seriously, I would love to be optimistic, but I have accepted that is most likely the end of DAYS. We are seeing the last grains of sand fall through our beloved hourglass. I'd love to at least have one last farewell story for Bo, Hope, John and Marlena. I just hope the last two years of the show won't be remembered for the invasion of the newbies.

"Like sands through the hourglass these were the days of Steve, Kayla, Jeremy, Stephanie, Jett, Chelsea, Max, Nick, Sami and EJ's lives"

:(

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Nixsoaps
Sep 23 2007, 11:10 PM
Y&RWorldTurner

I agree with you. I think it would be completely stupid for ABCD or CBSD to give up any of their soaps for Days. That will not bring in more fans. It could have the opposite affect. I would like to see Days at another network if NBCD doesn't want it anymore, but not at the expense of another fans show.

While I certainly would not like DAYS to go to CBS or ABC to only cancel one of their existing soaps...I WOULD STILL follow the show to that said network IF it indeed ended up taking one of the soaps spots and if the decision was in my own hands to decide to cancel another soap so DAYS could take its space, I certainly would do it and that all has to come down to what soap I like more and which one I am more loyal too.

I am sure MOST loyal fans would do the same.

Of course I would want DAYS to co-exist with the remaining soaps if it were to move to CBS or ABC.

At the same time, I am not sitting here wishing the demise of ANY other soaps (except maybe PSNS...I am sorry but that is the one soap I just cannot respect or get behind....at least the other 8 soaps have proven themselves and have RICH RICH histories), I want the genre to survive as a whole..

Mason

Jesus Christ, this thread alone is depressing me...

bellcurve
Unregistered

I gave up on the show long ago, but it will be difficult to have a soap opera landscape without DAYS.

I don't think you should throw in the towel Mitch. I want to be proven wrong. I want NBC to renew this show. I want DAYS to be good again.

But I just don't see that happening. Couple that with what we've seen in daytime in years past, and the writing is on the wall.

The only hope is that DAYS can move to another network or a cabler(on a slashed budget, no less, but still).
Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason AKA Hogan
Sep 24 2007, 12:13 AM

Ain't that the truth...

I don't know what's worse...so many people giving up, concern over the show's fate, or the fact that I'm apparently blind to the show's faults just because I am positive all the time. <_<

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I don't understand why everything has to be so one-sided. It seems like you have to hate DAYS or love it. At this point, I'm in the middle. There are things that I absolutely hate about the show (the destruction of Sami being the biggest part, also the horribly written younger characters) and there are things I just love (Ed Scott's influences, Shawn/Belle/Philip). I'm a fan of DAYS that will be there until the very last scene of the very last episode, but I am not going to sit here and defend the show when someone else sees something is wrong. I will listen to what that poster says and look at it in their eyes. Most of the time, after doing so, you do see what they're talking about. Does that mean I have to hate the show along with them? NO! That just means that I am looking at this from both point of views.

I'm just sick of it being defend DAYS or bash DAYS, and people having to choose a side. I'm going to continue being strictly in the middle because right now, that's where I have to be because that's how I'm seeing DAYS now, the good and the bad.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

PhoenixRising05
Sep 24 2007, 01:00 AM
Mason AKA Hogan
Sep 24 2007, 12:13 AM

Ain't that the truth...

I don't know what's worse...so many people giving up, concern over the show's fate, or the fact that I'm apparently blind to the show's faults just because I am positive all the time. <_<

Phoenix, I don't think you are blind to the show's faults. I think you ARE aware of them, you just are just finding things to enjoy IN SPITE of those faults and there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with that.

While some of the stories may be misguided at the moment, some of us can see past just the storytelling, we can appreciate the immense improvements in acting, dialouge and production values.

At least THOSE things have improved on this show...I mean the storytelling has been misguided, with brights spots few and far between for YEARS on this show, but during those other years the dialogue, acting and production values were also severely lacking.

Hogan Sheffer MAY or MAY NOT be the right man to scribe this show, but one thing is for sure, he has definetely improved the crappy dialogue and has gotten rid of constant use of flashbacks that have plagued DAYS for well over a decade.

I certainly am NOT throwing in the towel because I believe in Ed Scott and I believe he will help guide DAYS back onto the right path and whether that means finding a new HW or just getting Hogan back on track (because lets admit it, he has written very entertaining stuff during his current tenure), I just don't see him letting this show slip further into ratings hell.

DAYS *IS* going to change, there is ALWAYS hope and the writing is CERTAINLY NOT on the wall for this show and I for one am not going to give up on the show, certainly not now when behind the scenes changes are hopefully going to continue to help improve the show and only provide more incentive to keep hoping.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I would just like to state that announcing your disapproval of a show should not be considered "throwing in the towel" or giivng up on the show. I'm sick of seeing someone being accused of giving up on DAYS just because they have something negative to say. They're allowed. They watched the show, and saw something that deserved a negative response. Let them say that without jumping down their throats.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Thank you, Mitch.

That is exactly why I post as I do and exactly what my posts in this thread are going along with.

Damn...you need to post more, my friend :)

And Drew...your right about that but alot of people have given up or are. Just look in this thread. But, they are entitled. If people want to quit, fine. All Mitch was saying and I was agreeing with is that we aren't going to and we hate to see it coming to this. That's all.

King
Member Avatar

Great post, Mitch.

I know I am not going anywhere and plan on following DAYS if it moves.

The show has been great lately.

Nixsoaps
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
Sep 24 2007, 12:10 AM
While I certainly would not like DAYS to go to CBS or ABC to only cancel one of their existing soaps...I WOULD STILL follow the show to that said network IF it indeed ended up taking one of the soaps spots and if the decision was in my own hands to decide to cancel another soap so DAYS could take its space, I certainly would do it and that all has to come down to what soap I like more and which one I am more loyal too.

I am sure MOST loyal fans would do the same.

Of course I would want DAYS to co-exist with the remaining soaps if it were to move to CBS or ABC.

At the same time, I am not sitting here wishing the demise of ANY other soaps (except maybe PSNS...I am sorry but that is the one soap I just cannot respect or get behind....at least the other 8 soaps have proven themselves and have RICH RICH histories), I want the genre to survive as a whole..

I would absolutly follow Days if it when somewhere else. There is no doubt in my mind about that.
Quote:

I'm just sick of it being defend DAYS or bash DAYS, and people having to choose a side. I'm going to continue being strictly in the middle because right now, that's where I have to be because that's how I'm seeing DAYS now, the good and the bad.

I feel the same way. Very well said.

MichaelGL
Member Avatar
Sexy Jew

I like the show and yet wouldn't want it to go over to CBS or ABC. But anyways the reason I became so invested in DAYS is because my other two soaps at the time, GL and OLTL were sucking so badly. Now OLTL is great, but GL is continuing to dig itself into an early grave. I still enjoy DAYS from time to time, no major complaints from me about what I've seen on screen yet.

Days4Life
Unregistered

Mitch, I'm not going anywhere! I don't like everything I see on DAYS right now (my main problem is all the newbies being on so much), but I'll never quit watching. There have been many times over the last 38 years that I've been frustrated and disappointed, but I stick with it and hope for changes. Last week wasn't a great week IMO, but that doesn't negate the wonderful shows we've had in the last few weeks--and there have been a lot of good ones. The Santo/Colleen episode of 9/6 was one of the most beautiful I've seen in years. There's been A LOT of good; we just have a tendency to forget them after a few clunkers!

For me, I've decided to focus on the overall show more and quit picking things apart so much. Yes, there are dangling storylines and huge holes in plots and characters that act out of character, but those things have always been on soaps. If something really drives me crazy (like Jett), I've started FFing it and that way I don't see it so I can't complain about it! And once in awhile I discover a character is growing on me (Jeremy) and maybe isn't so bad after all and I'm able to watch the scenes and enjoy them instead of abusing my DVR FF button so much. It's all cyclical, and I've learned to wait it out. That's not to say I don't criticize DAYS, because I do, but I still love it and it doesn't even cross my mind to quit watching. I'll be there to the end....which I really hope is years and years from now!

Quote Post Goto Top

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

DrewHamilton
Sep 24 2007, 01:14 AM
I would just like to state that announcing your disapproval of a show should not be considered "throwing in the towel" or giivng up on the show. I'm sick of seeing someone being accused of giving up on DAYS just because they have something negative to say. They're allowed. They watched the show, and saw something that deserved a negative response. Let them say that without jumping down their throats.

I am not jumping down people's throat about criticizing the show...I am simply offering a counter-opinion on what has appeared to be a continual increase in disdain for DAYS.

I do not necessarily think that critisizing the show is "throwing in the towel".....however I do feel that some posters and for the majority people are realling putting the show through the ringer and hoping for cancellation rather than improvement.

I also really just wanted to voice my stance on the show and that I am sticking by it no matter what happens.

Mason

^Like Mitch said, I realize everyone has different opinions about DAYS right now, so I don't mind criticisms even if I don't agree with them. But when I read posts that say things like, "stick a fork in this show, it's done" or "just take DAYS out back and shoot it", it's things like that that upset and sadden me. I, for one, think GL is Godawful right now, but I would never suggest it be cancelled. As long as the show is still on the air, there is still a chance for improvement.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason AKA Hogan
Sep 24 2007, 01:44 PM
^Like Mitch said, I realize everyone has different opinions about DAYS right now, so I don't mind criticisms even if I don't agree with them. But when I read posts that say things like, "stick a fork in this show, it's done" or "just take DAYS out back and shoot it", it's things like that that upset and sadden me. I, for one, think GL is Godawful right now, but I would never suggest it be cancelled. As long as the show is still on the air, there is still a chance for improvement.

Exactly, Mason.

I think we all know the show is in dire straits so statements like that do not help the situation at all.

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

SteveFrame
Sep 23 2007, 10:49 PM
For me that is the opposite. I find myself more and more going back to things that I saw as really bad back in the day and now I sit and watch it and would give my eye teeth of the shows today were even half as good as what I thought was bad.

Just an example I watched Capitol during the James Lipton years and it was a big letdown after the Henry Slesar and Peggy O'Shea years on the show. I remember I highly criticized the show then. Not on boards since we didn't have them but to myself.

Recently when I was doing research on Capitol for an article in the history forum I watched some old clips from the Lipton era and I was shocked at actually how good it was compared to the soaps of today. Sure it was still bad compared to Slesar but it was still damn good traditional soap opera at it's best.

On the other hand I have looked back on stuff during JER's 2nd run and wonder how in the world I praised it like I did on boards. So I don't think will ever change even though I see things bad today. If the trends continue that the soaps just keep getting worse instead of better I guess in a few years if Days does move to Direct TV or SoapNet on a shoe string budget I will look back and think well Hogan's tenure wasn't all that bad compared to what we have today.

That's the way I feel about GL. I still enjoy it but seeing those sets and how sad GL looks technically and set wise, it just makes me so sad for the show. And to know that because of all the cuts in budget, the loss of affiliates, the time switching in areas, there is no way GL can compete with other shows. It is just sad.

On the JER comment, I'm just the oppsite. lol. For a period at the end of his 2nd run, although I've always loved him, I was getting so disapointed. I hated Alex North and all of Marlena's close-calls with getting her memory back....

But now that I look back, I would take that ANY day over this. At least we were SEEING Marlena.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply