Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: I'm NOT throwing in the towel on this show!; Cannot give it up!
Topic Started: Sep 23 2007, 09:48 PM (2,545 Views)
Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Oh Tyler even though I think JER was bad in his second run and I mean really bad, I think Hogan is just as bad. And JER had Hogan beat 100% on who to write for and balance.

If JER had the writing staff that Hogan has now his run would have not been as bad. JER and Hogan both have bad stories and I mean equally bad stories. JER's was about the right characters while Hogan's isn't. JER had crappy staff writers and Hogan doesn't.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

SteveFrame
Sep 24 2007, 03:51 PM
Oh Tyler even though I think JER was bad in his second run and I mean really bad, I think Hogan is just as bad. And JER had Hogan beat 100% on who to write for and balance.

If JER had the writing staff that Hogan has now his run would have not been as bad. JER and Hogan both have bad stories and I mean equally bad stories. JER's was about the right characters while Hogan's isn't. JER had crappy staff writers and Hogan doesn't.

You may be onto something Steve. I could never understand why Reilly was amazing his first stint at DAYS, and so lousy his second stint. But when you think of the staff and the day to day writers, a lot of the blame can be brought down on them. The dialogue was horrible. I can't blame them for the flashbacks and fantasies, because that is just the way Reilly writes. He's known for that.

As for Reilly writing for Marlena, I'm sorry but I would rather see Marlena a few times a month, than to see her in a horrible story every single day. People started hating Marlena during the Alex North storyline. That's not what I want to see. I want to be happy when a character I love is on. That didn't happen while Reilly was writing.

MichaelGL
Member Avatar
Sexy Jew

DrewHamilton
Sep 24 2007, 04:12 PM
As for Reilly writing for Marlena, I'm sorry but I would rather see Marlena a few times a month, than to see her in a horrible story every single day. People started hating Marlena during the Alex North storyline. That's not what I want to see. I want to be happy when a character I love is on. That didn't happen while Reilly was writing.

I agree. ;)

Mason
Member Avatar

Reilly may have written for a lot more characters, but what he did write was damn near character destruction. I'll take the Marlena I know and love once a week over amnesiac/brainwashed Marlena four times a week, thank you. :)

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton

Yeah but I feel the same way about Sami under Sheffer and even EJ to a certain point. But more about Sami.

I hate Sheffer's version of Sami. She doesn't even resemble Sami at all and what used to be one of my faves is now a character I absolutely hate and I am not the only fan.

Sure Reilly ruined Marlena but Sheffer ruined her daughter.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

I don't know much about if JER had a better writing team then his output during his second Days stint would be better. Look at his team from Passions, it was filled with people who JER had collaborated on at GL, during GL's last golden era from 90-94. That team which was headed by Nancy Curlee, Stephen Demorest, Lorraine Broderick, and JER even won an Emmy in 1993. However, the writing for Passions was extremely inconsistent and made you wonder if these were the same people writing for GL in the early 90's. Granted, Passions is a whole different kind of show, but the dialogue was kind of sub-par, which GL didn't have from 90-94.

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

SteveFrame
Sep 24 2007, 07:01 PM
DrewHamilton

Yeah but I feel the same way about Sami under Sheffer and even EJ to a certain point. But more about Sami.

I hate Sheffer's version of Sami. She doesn't even resemble Sami at all and what used to be one of my faves is now a character I absolutely hate and I am not the only fan.

Sure Reilly ruined Marlena but Sheffer ruined her daughter.

The destruction of Sami was far worse. Because even though JER didn't always write Marlena as he should have, he KNEW who she was and he knew what he had to do to fix it. After the Alex North stuff was over, she went right back to the warm-loving Marlena that everyone knew.

But Sami's drastic change occured with no warning OR transition process and I think Hogan thinks that he knows the character when in reality, he knows nothing.

King
Member Avatar

Quote:

Oh Tyler even though I think JER was bad in his second run and I mean really bad, I think Hogan is just as bad.

I'm sorry, but the bad parts of JER's second run are WAY WORSE than Hogan's bad parts.

Alex North??
Iraq??
Jack's dies ten times??
EVERYTHING Patrick Lockhart?
Druggie John??

They're not even in the same BALLPARK of bad.

The feud sucked. And Jett sucks. But it's not as bad as JER 2.0.

Steve, what the heck are you watching? LOL!

King
Member Avatar

Not to mention, JER had three times as long to clean up his act than Hoagie has.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

psychofan
Sep 24 2007, 09:17 PM
The destruction of Sami was far worse. Because even though JER didn't always write Marlena as he should have, he KNEW who she was and he knew what he had to do to fix it. After the Alex North stuff was over, she went right back to the warm-loving Marlena that everyone knew.

But Sami's drastic change occured with no warning OR transition process and I think Hogan thinks that he knows the character when in reality, he knows nothing.

By the Alex North storyline was officially over, Reilly wasn't even writing anymore, and that is when John and Marlena left town for the summer. So no, Reilly did not write Marlena the way she should be. Reilly wrote Marlena as the show's victim, which is what Sami is right now. Before Reilly came onboard, Marlena was a strong and independent woman. Reilly turned her into a sap that needed John to save her.

That's how Hogan is writing Sami now. Sami didn't need protection from anyone. She took care of herself, and usually got herself into more trouble by doing so. But in the end, Sami did it all on her own. That is the Sami of the past.

As for Sami's personality changing with no transtition, I'm going to have to disagree. Sami's transformation into the needy victim did not happen over night. I'm not saying that I'm happy with the way she is now, but I can't say that it happened overnight with no warning. She's been put through a lot of hell in the past couple of months, so her feeling dependent on people, while annoying as hell, is kind of a reality.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

King
Sep 24 2007, 08:32 PM

I'll just answer it this way.

Not Days.

I have lost so much interest I haven't even been watching but when I was watching it was still NOT DAYS.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

King
Sep 24 2007, 09:32 PM
Quote:

Oh Tyler even though I think JER was bad in his second run and I mean really bad, I think Hogan is just as bad.

I'm sorry, but the bad parts of JER's second run are WAY WORSE than Hogan's bad parts.

Alex North??
Iraq??
Jack's dies ten times??
EVERYTHING Patrick Lockhart?
Druggie John??

They're not even in the same BALLPARK of bad.

The feud sucked. And Jett sucks. But it's not as bad as JER 2.0.

Loves you, King! :wub:

I'll just add a few things to your list:

-The horrendous cage storyline where Jan Spears held Shawn captive for the entire summer. HORRIBLE!

-Georgia being alive. Stupid.

-Captive Island. Terrible.

-Captive Castle. Worse.

-Austin/Carrie/Sami/Lucas v2.0. Ugly.

-Writing Frankie into a triangle with Jack and Jennifer even after Billy Warlock asked not to be the one that breaks up Jack and Jennifer. Disrespectful.

-Mimi knowing Claire's paternity, and us having to reminded of it every single scene. Criminal.

Um, yeah. I'm going to have to say that Reilly is 10X worse than Hogan Sheffer could ever be.

King
Member Avatar

To each his own, Steve. Hoagie's DAYS were bad in the Spring definitely. Since May, the storylines haven't been amazing, but a lot of scenes have been.

King
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Sep 24 2007, 08:42 PM
I'll just add a few things to your list:

-The horrendous cage storyline where Jan Spears held Shawn captive for the entire summer. HORRIBLE!

-Georgia being alive. Stupid.

-Captive Island. Terrible.

-Austin/Carrie/Sami/Lucas v2.0. Ugly.

I liked those. LOL. :rockon:

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

King
Sep 24 2007, 09:46 PM
I liked those. LOL. :rockon:

You would... <_< :P

King
Member Avatar

How could you not like Shawn in a Cage?? SERIOUSLY! LOL.

Heather Lindell was HILAR!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

God, King, I think I love you :lol: .

Hogan has faults and the show is far from what it should be but at least it has competent writing and is nowhere near the acid trip periods JER gave us. Sure, he have us some great stuff but he also gave us one of the most offensive stories ever....Iraq...during a time of war no less. He also kept couples apart for far too long. At least now the couples are happy. Nothing Hogan has done has come close to the damage JER did overall. Hogan has messed up and, yes, the character of Sami needs work, along others, but at least no one is dying every 6 months just so we can put one of the show's most beloved heroines with a character no one gives a damn about.

The cage was fun at first but it dragged out for far too long and was only remotely interesting because of Lindell.

King
Member Avatar

And Captive Island was awesome until they tried to leave in the fall.

King
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Sep 24 2007, 08:51 PM

I never thought I'd read THAT.! :lol:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

King
PhoenixRising05

I never thought I'd read THAT.! :lol:

Well, things change :lol: .

Captive Island was fun for a bit until that turned into a mess with all the volcanos, weather machines, etc.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply