Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: I'm NOT throwing in the towel on this show!; Cannot give it up!
Topic Started: Sep 23 2007, 09:48 PM (2,381 Views)
DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

King
Sep 24 2007, 09:50 PM
How could you not like Shawn in a Cage?? SERIOUSLY! LOL.

Heather Lindell was HILAR!

Are you serious? :lol:

Okay, I'll give you Heather Lindell made the storyline watchable. She made Jan Spears likeable, something that Heather Olson just couldn't do for me. But it was not a good story whatsoever. We had Shawn constantly trying break free, when we knew very damn well that he would never get out of the cage. You had Belle and Philip being so damn dumb, in Jan's house, hearing Shawn, yet they still didn't find him. It was just horrendous. It did have one of my favorite soap conclusions though Shawn socked the shit out of Jan when he finally did escape. It was like he did that for all of the fans that had to sit and watched that for the past 3 months of our lives.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

King, I didn't say that I thought JER's run was good. I said that it was bad and that Hoagies was just as bad.

Both are equally bad in my view.

I agree with the whole list of what was bad during JER's run. But I can make another list of what has been bad about Hogie.

Tinda Lau
Shawn & Belle on the ship
Steve in the insane assylum
the Dr. Rebert stuff
all the stupid stuff with Nick and the kids
TTS
the Vendetta
Santo/Colleen
EJ the super villian
EJ rapes Sami

and on and on.

The only thing that has saved either run was the acting.

JER has 2 good stories to me: the start of SSK and death of Bo & Hope's son but both went to the dogs with the way they were written.

Hogie has had a few bright spots: the start of Chick, the stuff he wrote for John & Marlena in the beginning, and the custody trial up to the point that Shawn & Belle went on the run

The rest of his run has been just as bad as JER's. The only thing that has saved it at all has been the acting and that is what saved Hogie's run.

The only thing that has hurt Hogie's and made more people tune out is the balance. The people that stayed under JER stayed because the show was about people they loved. It isn't under Hogie.

King
Member Avatar

I liked all of the crashing and discovering everyone was a live. It really got bad in September though, but it was good from May though Sept. I liked everyone turning up and then missing and the danger/adventure. DAYS doesn't have that anymore.

I actually really loved that summer now that I think about it.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Sep 24 2007, 08:51 PM
God, King, I think I love you :lol: .

Hogan has faults and the show is far from what it should be but at least it has competent writing and is nowhere near the acid trip periods JER gave us. Sure, he have us some great stuff but he also gave us one of the most offensive stories ever....Iraq...during a time of war no less. He also kept couples apart for far too long. At least now the couples are happy. Nothing Hogan has done has come close to the damage JER did overall. Hogan has messed up and, yes, the character of Sami needs work, along others, but at least no one is dying every 6 months just so we can put one of the show's most beloved heroines with a character no one gives a damn about.

The cage was fun at first but it dragged out for far too long and was only remotely interesting because of Lindell.

Yeah but what is the difference in couples not being apart but being together and loveless. There is no romance at all under Hogan between the couples. There is no angst in their relationships either.

And what is the difference in a person dying every 6 months and not really being dead. And them being in danger every other day but not really being in danger.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

That summer was good other then all the falling off cliffs. :lol:

I am having a visual of Jack in his "Indiana Jones" hat :lol: .

One thing I will say is the JATE lovemaking on the roof in the rain was the most memorable moment of that summer for me. It was ruined by Roman and Marlena's makeout session being a cliffhanger but it boggles my mind how JER could set up JATE so well and then destroy any potential they had with that drug addict story, which could've been good if written right.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

SteveFrame
Sep 24 2007, 08:58 PM
PhoenixRising05
Sep 24 2007, 08:51 PM
God, King, I think I love you :lol: .

Hogan has faults and the show is far from what it should be but at least it has competent writing and is nowhere near the acid trip periods JER gave us.  Sure, he have us some great stuff but he also gave us one of the most offensive stories ever....Iraq...during a time of war no less.  He also kept couples apart for far too long.  At least now the couples are happy.  Nothing Hogan has done has come close to the damage JER did overall.  Hogan has messed up and, yes, the character of Sami needs work, along others, but at least no one is dying every 6 months just so we can put one of the show's most beloved heroines with a character no one gives a damn about.

The cage was fun at first but it dragged out for far too long and was only remotely interesting because of Lindell.

Yeah but what is the difference in couples not being apart but being together and loveless. There is no romance at all under Hogan between the couples. There is no angst in their relationships either.

And what is the difference in a person dying every 6 months and not really being dead. And them being in danger every other day but not really being in danger.

We at least know they are together. There is some peace there. Not alot but some.

What they did to Matt Ashford was absurd. I know some would say the same is happening to Drake now but it's not the same. Drake is just offscreen while Matt was taken offscreen in such stupid ways that it was a joke story-wise and it also embarrassed him as well. Like he said at the time, he didn't want to be a punchline and that was what JER did to Jack and that is much worse then what has happened to Drake under Hogan IMO.

kserox10

I am dropping DAYS of my list now! :angry:

I loved DAYS from 2000-2004!

Right now I am board and tired. When Hogan is gone thats when I will start to watch DAYS again!

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Hogan hiring competant script writers is the only good thing I can say about his tenure so far.

IMO, The man has no grasp whatsoever on how DAYS should be written. He has no respect for the shows history or the characters. And he doesn't give a shit about the 4 characters that have carried the show for 20+ years.

Hopefully the ratings continue to free fall and bottom out at Passions #'s 1.3-1.5 then maybe they will fire the cocky bastard that has ruined my show and replace him with a head writer that doesn't have a hard on for everyone under 30

Mason

King
Sep 24 2007, 08:32 PM
Quote:

Oh Tyler even though I think JER was bad in his second run and I mean really bad, I think Hogan is just as bad.

I'm sorry, but the bad parts of JER's second run are WAY WORSE than Hogan's bad parts.

Alex North??
Iraq??
Jack's dies ten times??
EVERYTHING Patrick Lockhart?
Druggie John??

They're not even in the same BALLPARK of bad.

The feud sucked. And Jett sucks. But it's not as bad as JER 2.0.

Steve, what the heck are you watching? LOL!

MARRY. ME.

:hail:

Mason

DrewHamilton
Sep 24 2007, 08:42 PM
Loves you, King! :wub:

I'll just add a few things to your list:

-The horrendous cage storyline where Jan Spears held Shawn captive for the entire summer. HORRIBLE!

-Georgia being alive. Stupid.

-Captive Island. Terrible.

-Captive Castle. Worse.

-Austin/Carrie/Sami/Lucas v2.0. Ugly.

-Writing Frankie into a triangle with Jack and Jennifer even after Billy Warlock asked not to be the one that breaks up Jack and Jennifer. Disrespectful.

-Mimi knowing Claire's paternity, and us having to reminded of it every single scene. Criminal.

Um, yeah. I'm going to have to say that Reilly is 10X worse than Hogan Sheffer could ever be.

You too, Drew. Marry me!!! :hail:

King
Member Avatar

Quote:

King, I didn't say that I thought JER's run was good. I said that it was bad and that Hoagies was just as bad.

Both are equally bad in my view.

I know. I just didn't agree.

Quote:

Tinda Lau
Steve in the insane assylum

I agree with those. I tuned out during most of the spring.

I loved EJ the Supervillain and his raping Sami, as gross as it was, it was CHILLING. That was the week I was like Wow. DAYS is so back. I just wished it lasted. :lol:

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I vote for equally bad.

Reilly came on and gave me more pure entertainment pretty quickly after starting, but then...stupid neverending kidnapping crap. I'd almost blocked out the literal cliffhanging. He also made me care for characters and realize I liked them when I really didn't have any attachment before, especially Jack and Maggie. But, again, stupid neverending kidnapping crap.

Sheffer...some good moments, but everything feels half-assed. The entertainment factor is not there, he hasn't made me enjoy any characters and he demolished my previous favorite (Sami, which I guess is kind of a good thing because now I know how others felt about Reilly).

What it comes down to though for me is that the feud fuck-up is so colossal it equals the stupid neverending kidnapping crap.

Mason

Steve, I'll take everything on your list of what you feel Hogan's done wrong over ANYTHING that JER did (excluding Zach's death).

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Mason that is fine. I don't feel that everyone has to agree with me. I have my opinion about things. I am just happy to know that I am not the only who feels that way. Some have come out and said so while others have just tuned out and that tells me so.

Sheffer's approval ratings are also at the lowest I have ever seen. They are even as low as JER's were. We are back to the point of the majority of fans hollering for the firing of Days writer. So that tells me a lot too.

I don't think Days can afford another writing change. But I can't say that sticking with Hogan is the answer either. Something should have been done before it got to this point.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

px780
Sep 24 2007, 09:36 PM
I vote for equally bad.

Reilly came on and gave me more pure entertainment pretty quickly after starting, but then...stupid neverending kidnapping crap. I'd almost blocked out the literal cliffhanging. He also made me care for characters and realize I liked them when I really didn't have any attachment before, especially Jack and Maggie. But, again, stupid neverending kidnapping crap.

Sheffer...some good moments, but everything feels half-assed. The entertainment factor is not there, he hasn't made me enjoy any characters and he demolished my previous favorite (Sami, which I guess is kind of a good thing because now I know how others felt about Reilly).

What it comes down to though for me is that the feud fuck-up is so colossal it equals the stupid neverending kidnapping crap.

Excellent post. Very well put. I agree with everything you said.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

^ Excellent post px, I completly agree.

King
Member Avatar

Ironically, the "stupid, neverending, kidnapping crap" isn't what I Hated about JER's run. But nonetheless, I disagree.

Oh well.

Scott
Member Avatar

IMO, Days hasn't been really good in a long time. It has its moments when I do enjoy everything about it, but then the next week its back to FF mode.

King
Member Avatar

That I agree with. It's very up and down. But saying it's as bad as JER's bad stuff is gross exaggeration. IMO.

But I guess its how some fans feel.

Scott
Member Avatar

I think when Hogan Sheffer came in he had so much publicity and he promised so much, that people were really excited about him, but when push came to shove, half of what he said he would do, never came.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply