Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: 10 Things Hogan Can Do; to make the show better
Topic Started: Sep 24 2007, 12:41 AM (1,018 Views)
Mason

I've been thinking what are just a few things that DAYS really needs right now to be better that more or less, only requires Hogan to swallow his pride, and here's what I've come up with.

1. Give John, Marlena, Bo, and Hope frontburner stories of their own. No reading letters or providing color commentary.

2. Write more romance.

3. Make the Horton family prominent again.

4. Lumi or EJami Ė pick one and stick with it.

5. Write with more balance i.e. give characters like Maggie, Billie, Abe, Lexie, etc. storylines for a change.

6. End the Shawn/Belle/Philip triangle once and for all.

7. Stop shoving characters viewers actively donít like (Jeremy, Jett, etc.) down their throats.

8. Write with more consistency. No more of this two weeks of mediocrity, one week of greatness crap.

9. Stop playing it safe. All these character-in-peril moments carry little weight because viewers already know whatís going to happen.

10. Donít rush through stories. Go from Point A to B to C. Not straight from A to C. Viewers want to SEE charactersí reactions not hear about them.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

If you had asked me last year, I never would have thought we'd ever see another one of these posts. It makes me sad.

I don't know if I can come up with 10, but here are a few.

-Stop victimizing Sami! I'm sorry, but Sami is no freaking heroine and she should have never been molded into one. That's just not who Sami is. Sami is a scheming little bitch, and she should continue to be a scheming little bitch until the day she does. Does that mean she has to be immature? NO! She can be a mature scheming little bitch. I am all for the raising of Sami's maturity level. However, I am loathing Hogan for turning Sami into the show's resident victim. She is a freaking wash rag now, who can't even defend herself. That's not Sami.

-Where in the hell is the writer that was writing Max/Abby/Chelsea/Nick/Stephanie last fall? I don't know how many times I shouted how much I was looking forward to this summer, just because we finally had a younger set of characters that were just so great and being written for well. Then, Shayna Rose was released as Stephanie. Ashley Benson left and took Abby along with her. Shelley Henning debuted as Chelsea...er, I mean Stephanie, and brought along Jeremy Horton and Jett Caver, and I'm seeing a summer of nothing what I envisioned. I just don't get it. Have Stephanie, Jeremy and Jett pack their bags and get the fuck out of Salem!

-Stop it with the incest! You promised us no incest in your first interview last year. You ended Stephanie and Max just around this time last year. One year later, where are we? Oh, I believe that Max and Stephanie almost had sex had it not been for Bo and Kayla coming in to save them. WTF!?

-More romance please! Sure, Hogan, you gave the men their penises back, but when do they ever get to use them?

That's all I can think of right now since it is 2:11 in the morning lol. Maybe I'll add more later.

Mason

Drew, ITA agree with you about Sami. I hardly even recognize her anymore because this is just not who she is. Sami is many things but a put-upon heroine doormat is sure as hell not one of them. Like you, I want a mature Sami, too, but I don't want her to lose her bitchy edge either, and unfortunately, she has. It's like they're trying to mold her into the show's next Marlena, and that's just not gonna work.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

The Top 5 Things Hogan can do to improve DAYS:

1.) Hall, Hogestyn, Alfonso, Reckell and Mascolo. Get these actors into solid 3-5 day a week storylines that are controlling the show and that are ABOUT the characters. This means ensuring that EACH character holds vital key to the said storyline (and simply is not a part of it to just be a part of it, like the Vendetta story).

2.) Get rid of Jett and Jeremy and give the younger set realistic angsty storylines that do not involve Salem U, Airplanes, Las Vegas or indirect incest. The actors are ACTUALLY talented and can certainly offer more to this show than what they are currently doing.

3.) End the vendetta and finally decide what to do with the DiMera family or find someway to re-invent them.

4.) Give Renee Jones/Lexie and Tanya Boyd/Celeste a storyline, they are FREAKING GOLD!

5.) Decide between EJAMI or LUMI and then focus on building that couple to the fullest.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

^Amen!

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

I love everyone's suggestions.

Other things I would say...

Stop playing favorites so damn much unless there is some money issue that has everything so out of balance in terms of who gets to be on the frontburner all the time and who is windowdressing. I mean I get that Hogan Sheffer has hard-ons for Alison Sweeney and Mary Beth Evans and though I love them both and their characters, I understand there are people who don't and I would like those fans to have a chance to enjoy "Days" too. So how about more balance with more stuff for Billie and Hope and Marlena?

Give Leann Hunley a contract and a story.

Make the Kate/Roman/Anna/Tony quad happen. And make Kate and Anna rivals or reluctant partners in business or something while using the natural Brady-DiMera mistrust to add some tension to Roman and Tony's interactions.

Stop writing the women so fickle and bipolar. You gave the men their penises back? Well give the women their hearts back. And that might help the romance some.

BTW, if you guys would further like to discuss the good and bad you think Hogan has brought to the show you could check out my column this week... COUGH *shameless plug* COUGH :D

King
Member Avatar

DAYS is pretty good right now. I would say:

1. End the Feud.

2. Some suspense.intrigue would be nice.

3. No more new characters regardless of how temporary they are.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I could not agree more about Sami being...distorted.

My Top 6:

1. Stop with the near-deaths. It's desperate, anyway, to wring drama only from characters being in life-or-death peril, and it doesn't even work anymore.

2. Balance! I'm not too worried about giving the core four frontburner stories and constant airtime, but I need to see other people on screen. And whoever decided to double-pump Sweeney and Scott over the summer needs to be fired and/or shot.

3. Get these people some friends! It's a nice way to introduce new characters without shoving them down viewers' throats, and it'd be a good way to see another side of the character we know. The Chelsea/Stephanie friendship is neat (and kudos for not having them broken up by a man, at least not yet), and it'd be great to see others like that.

4. Along with friendship, explore family ties. Sami's all Bradys 4-Eva right now, so how about showing us what her relationship with those people is like, outside of conversations about the vendetta? How do she and Belle relate? What of Chelsea and Billie? Or Chelsea and Shawn?

5. If we must have triangles, let them develop naturally. This would mean, say, not having two people jump out of an airplane and get stranded together. Or having one person declare love after like an hour of knowing the other. It would also mean not casting people specifically to be part of a triangle. And give us a settling point where we get time to see one couple actually together for awhile, to see what those characters do other than strive to be with their trueloveforever. I might be able to root for one particular outcome if some of that happened.

6. Connected to that, build characters as individuals first. I can understand brining on someone new as a love interest, but it seems like that's all Days does and has done for awhile now. That's part of why its so easy to merge character names and build a couple's fanbase: neither partner was ever intended to be a separate person. I feel like things on the show would be so much better if they focused more on who these people are for awhile instead of just giving them crap to do, if that makes sense.

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

I'll probably repeat some that have already been said, but....

1.) Leave. He's my least favorite head writer ever.

2.) Bring back bitch Sami. I hate the current incarnation.

3.) Write off Jett and Jeremy. Keep Max, Steph, Chels, and Nick but ON THE BACKBURNER.

4.) Marlena, John, Bo, Hope are the leads. Treat them as such.

5.) Use history that has actually HAPPENED on the show....like what happened to Stefano's love for Marlena?

6.) End the fued. You've made a mess out of a would-have-been-great storyline so just stop it.

7.) Stop pissing off Lumi AND Ejami fans.

8.) Give Kate some depth instead of having her as an evil, ruthless villain once a week.

9.) Fine something to do with the character of EJ. One minute he's missunderstood, then he's a good guy, then he's a pure evil....if you can't decide, then kill him off.

And my last reason is something that no one will agree with me on. :lol:

10.) Bring back Jan Spears and all will be forgiven.

Kenny
Member Avatar

I watched some episodes last week and was amazed at how ADULT the dialogue sounded! Stefano sounded like a real human being rather than a cartoon mega-villain. Everything sounded so smart and sharp and sophisticated.

So, the dialogue has definitely improved. Not sure if that's Hogan though, or Ed Scott. Either way, I love it!

Nixsoaps
Member Avatar

Kenny, I agree about the dialog. It is also nice to see the actors laugh and have fun in their scenes.

1. Vets need something more to do than read letters.

2. Enough of the stabbings

3. Let us take a little break from the EJ, Sami, & Lucas triangle. I love all three of these characters and actors but enough is enough there are more people on this show.

4.Let's have some family scenes. Not just talk about what you did w/your family off screen.

5.Anna, Billie, Kate, and Celeste all need storylines. Do a story for the Carvers, do a quad that involved Anna, Tony, Kate, and Roman. Get Billie a man to become friends with. Since Jack left, who is left. Nick?!

6. Hello! Where are all of the buisnesses. Are the only two places open the funeral home and the Brady Pub?

7. Follow through on a storyline where either Billie or Lucas fall off the wagon and then the other is there to help them pick up the pieces.

I'm sure there are more but I think for the most part everyone has covered them.

King
Member Avatar

Kenny
Sep 24 2007, 09:33 AM
I watched some episodes last week and was amazed at how ADULT the dialogue sounded! Stefano sounded like a real human being rather than a cartoon mega-villain. Everything sounded so smart and sharp and sophisticated.

So, the dialogue has definitely improved. Not sure if that's Hogan though, or Ed Scott. Either way, I love it!

I just thought it was great getting actual dialogue from Stefano! He is one of the greatest characters in daytime history, to me anyway, and I can't recall any good scenes since he returned in May. I just remember him loafing around, coughing, and dying.

It felt so good to see him be powerful and have that accent and voice and SCREAM at Steve - and then have Steve mock him for it!

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Kenny
Sep 24 2007, 09:33 AM

WORD!

The dialouge has improved INCREDIBLY since Hogan has took over IMO.

Mason

Yes, the dialogue has definitely improved tenfold in the last year. I no longer cringe at every other line!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

The dialogue is better and so is the whole feel of the show. It's not choppy and the execution is worlds better (ex. the explosion on today's show). The SFX are gone and you are seeing a serious production now.

I should also add that for those having a problem with the incest, it's over tomorrow. Max and Stephanie call it off and it seems it was nothing more then a plot point to make her realize she will love Jeremy no matter what he does.

Now, as to what Hogan can do:

1.) Tell Ken Corday to fuck off and just open his ear to Ed Scott.
2.) Get some people on staff with knowledge of Days.
3.) More romance but not so much that the show becomes too cutesy or happy. There needs to be a balance and sometimes Days is one sided in some things.
4.) Apply history better to stories. It's clear the research is being done but applying it is the key.
5.) Better balance. The young cast should be mixed in with the adults and the adults should be driving most of the episodes.
6.) Continue with the character interactions and family moments. These have been getting better lately.
7.) Kill a major character off just so we can feel some suspense when a life is in danger. I haven't felt much suspense at all since the SSK. The show needs to show that they are willing to take risks so we can have tha aura of unpredictability.
8.) Do a better job of showing what are the A stories and what are the B and C stories. An example of this is how the feud started off the summer being the BIGGEST story and then TTS became the biggest story. It goes back to balance but it also is a writing and execution issue.
9.) Do a better job of showing character reactions and playing all the beats of a story or scene.
10.) This is one of the biggest things....DO NOT LET THE FANBASES DICTATE EVERY AREA OF THE SHOW!! Go with what produces the best drama and what you feel is best for the show. Go with the compelling story and stick to it. No more waffling and no mote re-writes. This goes for everyone at Days. Have the balls to stick to something for once and not cave to the fanbases.

That is all I can think of.

Mason

That's a great list, Phoenix. I agree with all of it (as I'm sure you already know, LoL).

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

If the powers that be would take everything that has been suggested in this thread, Days could be number one. I can't add anything else to what you all have said. All this is exactly what this show needs.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

psychofan
Sep 24 2007, 07:27 AM
I'll probably repeat some that have already been said, but....

1.) Leave.  He's my least favorite head writer ever.

This? Awesome and hysterical. Long crappy day: thank you!

And IA with you about Jan Spears, believe it or not. Bring her back, make her a Dimera somehow, maybe, let's roll forward with a villain to torment Belle & Shawn.

I also like Phoenix's point about romance not being too cutesy. As much as I once enjoyed Lucas/Sami, they made me a little ill in a couple of their romance moments.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Sep 24 2007, 03:21 PM
The dialogue is better and so is the whole feel of the show. It's not choppy and the execution is worlds better (ex. the explosion on today's show). The SFX are gone and you are seeing a serious production now.

I should also add that for those having a problem with the incest, it's over tomorrow. Max and Stephanie call it off and it seems it was nothing more then a plot point to make her realize she will love Jeremy no matter what he does.

3.) More romance but not so much that the show becomes too cutesy or happy. There needs to be a balance and sometimes Days is one sided in some things.
4.) Apply history better to stories. It's clear the research is being done but applying it is the key.
5.) Better balance. The young cast should be mixed in with the adults and the adults should be driving most of the episodes.
6.) Continue with the character interactions and family moments. These have been getting better lately.
7.) Kill a major character off just so we can feel some suspense when a life is in danger. I haven't felt much suspense at all since the SSK. The show needs to show that they are willing to take risks so we can have tha aura of unpredictability.
8.) Do a better job of showing what are the A stories and what are the B and C stories. An example of this is how the feud started off the summer being the BIGGEST story and then TTS became the biggest story. It goes back to balance but it also is a writing and execution issue.
9.) Do a better job of showing character reactions and playing all the beats of a story or scene.
10.) This is one of the biggest things....DO NOT LET THE FANBASES DICTATE EVERY AREA OF THE SHOW!! Go with what produces the best drama and what you feel is best for the show. Go with the compelling story and stick to it. No more waffling and no mote re-writes. This goes for everyone at Days. Have the balls to stick to something for once and not cave to the fanbases.

Phoenix, I agree with most of what you said, but I just want to ask a few questions about some of the things you said.

How would you feel about the major character being killed off if it was Marlena, or Hope or Bo? Do you really want a major character killed off, or do you just want John and Drake Hogestyn written off the show?

I was just wondering.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Sep 24 2007, 08:47 PM
PhoenixRising05
Sep 24 2007, 03:21 PM
The dialogue is better and so is the whole feel of the show.  It's not choppy and the execution is worlds better (ex. the explosion on today's show).  The SFX are gone and you are seeing a serious production now. 

I should also add that for those having a problem with the incest, it's over tomorrow.  Max and Stephanie call it off and it seems it was nothing more then a plot point to make her realize she will love Jeremy no matter what he does.

3.) More romance but not so much that the show becomes too cutesy or happy.  There needs to be a balance and sometimes Days is one sided in some things.
4.) Apply history better to stories.  It's clear the research is being done but applying it is the key.
5.) Better balance.  The young cast should be mixed in with the adults and the adults should be driving most of the episodes.
6.) Continue with the character interactions and family moments.  These have been getting better lately.
7.) Kill a major character off just so we can feel some suspense when a life is in danger.  I haven't felt much suspense at all since the SSK.  The show needs to show that they are willing to take risks so we can have tha aura of unpredictability.
8.) Do a better job of showing what are the A stories and what are the B and C stories.  An example of this is how the feud started off the summer being the BIGGEST story and then TTS became the biggest story.  It goes back to balance but it also is a writing and execution issue.
10.) This is one of the biggest things....DO NOT LET THE FANBASES DICTATE EVERY AREA OF THE SHOW!! Go with what produces the best drama and what you feel is best for the show.  Go with the compelling story and stick to it.  No more waffling and no mote re-writes.  This goes for everyone at Days.  Have the balls to stick to something for once and not cave to the fanbases. 

Phoenix, I agree with most of what you said, but I just want to ask a few questions about some of the things you said.

How would you feel about the major character being killed off if it was Marlena, or Hope or Bo? Do you really want a major character killed off, or do you just want John and Drake Hogestyn written off the show?

I was just wondering.

Well, I do want John written off both because of Drake and because I feel the character of John is holding Marlena back but, even without my thinking all that, I think Days needs to kill off someone big.

The show made a mockery of death for so long that I think they need to take a risk to up the suspense. If they do it, I think they need to try as hard as they can to keep it a secret so that it shocks people. That will give people the feeling again that anything can happen and that death can be final. It will give fans that edge of your seat feeling that has been missing for so long. I hate that they have to do get rid of someone big but I think it's the only way to create an aura of tension.

As bad as the SSK turned out to be, you had that feeling in that story. No one knew what was going to happen and major characters were killed. Risks were being taken and there was finality and an effect with each death. I don't want mass murder again but I want that feeling and intensity back and someone big going is the only way it will happen in my view. It doesn't even have to be John. It can be someone like Roman or Victor or whatever. Just a name character so that we can look back and call it a memorable moment and also can start having that feeling of suspense again.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply