Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
BLISSFUL: GL’S NEW SUPERCOUPLE
Topic Started: Sep 25 2007, 07:42 PM (441 Views)
Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Linked

BLISSFUL: GL’S NEW SUPERCOUPLE

On Guiding Light, Coop and Ashlee may not be a supercouple yet, or even an actual couple, but they are well on their way. This unique pairing is what good soap opera is all about. Their budding relationship is being portrayed in such an agonizingly realistic fashion that it is almost hard to watch at times.

“Coop Cooper,” as Ashlee affectionately calls her beloved, is a strapping young man from a good family. He’s everything a girl could want: intelligent, charming and extremely good looking. Ashlee was raised by the single mother from hell, is younger than Coop, and overweight. She’s also sensitive, self deprecating and pretty in an untraditional way. Her brand of pretty is not Hollywood stereotype size two pretty, but rather real woman in the real world pretty. She looks like someone we know.

Their romance has been depicted believably with the two starting out as friends before Ashlee developed a crush on Coop. Their friendship deepened and Ashlee eventually fell in love with Coop. They shared a tender kiss, but Coop still held back his true feelings. It was clear to everyone but him that he was in love with Ashlee.

A turning point came when Coop broke up with his model-like girlfriend Ava, and declared his love for Ashlee only to be rebuffed by her. In a poignant speech, she explained that it shouldn’t be so hard for him to love her. He has sworn to win her heart and prove his love.

This modern day Cinderella tale is brought to life by John Driscoll (Coop) and Caitlin Van Zandt (Ashlee). Driscoll and Van Zandt have chemistry to spare as they bicker and spar with each other. When Van Zandt turns her baby blue eyes up at Driscoll, he seems to melt, as do the viewers.

Both actors have displayed good comedic timing which was never more evident than during the recent episode where Coop became excited while watching a movie with Ashlee. While some thought the ensuing scene where Coop talked to his “privates” in the bathroom was distasteful, others found it hilarious and true to life. Van Zandt seemed to be in her element as she baited Driscoll with wry one liners, and his embarrassment and awkwardness added depth to what could have been a cheesy scene.

These two are perfect together, and have real potential to grow into an anchor couple for the show, a young Josh and Reva if you will. With Ashlee and her mother hinting everyday about some dark secret from Ashlee’s past, hopefully it won’t derail the burgeoning romance. With any luck, the writers will let Coop and Ashlee declare and consummate their mutual love before they get torn apart, only to reunite them again in true soap fashion.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Now just get Ava off the screen.

I'll admit, there are times when I'm tempted to tune back into GL...until I realize I'll probably be tuning right back out before long. <_<

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I am actually liking Ava a little more. They are turning her into a real bitch. She actually has improved a little in her acting. She went toe to toe with Doris this week and was actually decent. She is going to be a force to be reckoned with in the Coop/Ashlee story.

The show has been spectacular this week. Alex is back to the mean conniving woman she should have been. It was revealed today she is behind Marina's kidnapping. And Gina Tognoni delivered her Emmy winning performance yesterday. Damn she was good.

Mason
Member Avatar

I don't know. Maybe I'll check out GL one of these days and see if it's gotten any better since I stopped watching. I just don't trust David Kreizman or Ellen Wheeler to keep me entertained though.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

GL has been fantastic these past two weeks. Gina Tognoni is just a revelation, no one on daytime at the moment has her raw acting ability. This girl just oozes star appeal, it's a shame she didn't make it in primetime.

Ava still bugs me, I don't know, but the girl just isn't my cup of tea.

I've never liked Marj Dusay as Alex, Beverlee McKinsey will always be the one and only Alexandra Spaulding to me. Marj plays Alex as one note as possible imo, whereas McKinsey played the character with so many layers, you couldn't hate her despite the crap she pulled. However, I'm glad the character of Alex is getting increased air time!

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Oh Alvin, Ava still bugs me but I am liking her more as a bitch than before.

And I agree that Beverlee McKinsey is the best Alex ever. No one can compare to her greatness. I am just glad to see the love being spread around. So many of the performers are really getting great material right now, and even though I have done a lot of the spoilers for GL lately I was totally shocked by today's ending. I never saw that one coming.

MichaelGL
Member Avatar
Sexy Jew

GL entertains me alot these days, but sometimes I wonder; why am I still watching? The destruction of some of my favorite characters and couples really turn me away from the soap.

I got to hand it to GL though, we might get a few bad days or weeks, but we also get plenty of good weeks and individual episodes.

sungrey

Sorry, Soapdom, gotta disagree. One Life to Live told this story a whole lot better. Kreizman just went through the motions with it. I don't like the pairing, and it's not meant to be a slap at Caitlin VanZandt... she is a good actress.

I do agree, however, that Ava makes a good bitch.

bellcurve
Unregistered

sungrey
Sep 26 2007, 07:44 PM
...and it's not meant to be a slap at Caitlin VanZandt... she is a good actress.

Totally(but respectfully) disagree.

She's plays a caricature, a token fat chick, and she has yet to rise above that style or level of acting.

She reminds me of LoriBeth Denberg(ALL THAT, STEVE HARVEY SHOW). Her acting is reminiscent of formulaic slapstick sitcom style. And that is regardless of what scene or emotion she's playing.

Michelle Ray Smith doesn't bother me NEARLY as much as she did when I first started watching and that is thanks to her working with Crystal Chappell. Even when she played self-righteous, Smith(when working with Chappell) usually was right on her mark.

And she plays the bitch really REALLY well!
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply