Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
OLTL: Interview with John Brotherton (Jared)
Topic Started: Sep 27 2007, 06:55 AM (257 Views)
Jonatha

From SOD online:

Introducing John Brotherton

While viewers still don't know what's up with new guy Jared on ONE LIFE TO LIVE, Soap Opera Digest demystifies portrayer John Brotherton as best we can.

Digest: You seemed to easily come into the fold.

Brotherton: Thank you. To tell you the truth, everyone here has been very welcoming.

Digest:Who were the first people you worked with?

Brotherton: The first day I worked was the poker game, so Forbes [March, Nash] was essentially the first guy that I sat down and b.s.'d with, which was great because he sort of showed me all the tricks of the trade, gave me the tour and the whole nine, so he was super cool and we hit it right off. Then I worked with Melissa [Archer, Natalie], who is about the sweetest person on the planet. When you're the new kid, you don't know if you're going to run into egos, but ... none of that [here]! It was very cool. I work with some very cool people.

Digest: So how's it going, aside from everyone being so friendly?

Brotherton: It is an absolute blast. I love going to work. I feel lucky because I'm paying my bills and doing what I love to do. It doesn't get any better than that. I'm having fun.

Digest: What were you told about the character going in?

Brotherton: I'll never forget the audition because my agent told me to think Sawyer from LOST. So I had to grow my scruff out because usually I didn't have scruff, and now I have scruff 24/7. And they wanted sexy and charming, but also edgy. I was like, "Cool!" Most of the parts I go out on I'm, like, Mr. All-American. Shave me and I look like a little boy from next door. So this was fun because there was some meat there. Having a juicy character is what we crave as actors. I'm not just playing myself.

Digest: Fans are already writing in about your chemistry with Melissa Archer. How is working with Melissa?

Brotherton: She is the best! She's talented and she cares. She cares about her work and the people she works with. She's a joy to work with. I feel lucky to be surrounded by so many good people.

Digest: So have you joined John-Paul Lavoisier's (Rex) poker games yet?

Brotherton: [Laughs] I haven't, but I definitely am going to. I haven't actually worked with him yet, but I've met him in passing a few times and he's a great guy, and I definitely want to join in there.

Digest: Are you a poker player in real life?

Brotherton: I've played my fair share of cards, especially in college. My senior year, I lived with eight guys in this big house and we had a table in our living room and there was kind of like a 24-hour game going on, whether we were there or not. It wasn't crazy stakes, but people were taking their book money or their utility bill money that they got from their parents [laughs].

Digest: Where did you go to college?

Brotherton: I went to Oregon State [University] in Corvallis, Oregon, which was a great school.

Digest: So what were you doing before OLTL?

Brotherton: Before ONE LIFE, I was in L.A. After I graduated college, I packed my car and moved to L.A. and started in. You know, it was your classic "show up and find a way to make it happen." And I was there for four years, working odd jobs, getting acting work when I could. I loved L.A. Then you go on another audition and the next thing you know.... The whole thing was completely overnight. I came out here to test and then finally when we found out, I had five days to fly back, pack my bags and start work.

Digest: It seems that's always the way!

Brotherton: You know, as crazy as it is in the moment, I wouldn't want it any other way. The whole thing's been neat. I got engaged in the whole swing of things.

Digest: Congratulations! Who's the lucky lady?

Brotherton: Her name is Alison Raimondi. She's an actress and had a little career going [in L.A.], but she was like, "No, I'll come with you," because I wanted her to come with me, obviously. She's from here originally.

Digest: Is she looking for work in New York?

Brotherton: Yeah, it's hard because you kind of have to start over. She had a good year last year. She had a part in the movie Employee of the Month and she did a couple spots on TV.

Digest: You actually wrote and directed a short film, Smith and Mike on a Tuesday, which starred the two of you. What can you tell us about that?

Brotherton: That's my baby right now. I've been on the festival circuit with it. Last year, my buddy Rand Holdren and I wanted to do something creative and started with a page of dialogue, and the next thing we knew, we had this script and got all these people involved that worked for nothing I mean, we did it for $2,600! We shot on HD [high definition]. It was the Canon HDX2, an incredible camera. We had this friend at Morgan Creek, the production company, who sort of just said, "Take it and return it in one piece." We got really lucky. Our sound guy was a two-time Emmy winner who I'd met on a different film set. Basically, we told everyone we'd feed 'em and we'd have fun.

Digest: And it's still on the festival circuit?

Brotherton: Yes. Hoboken Film Festival was the first festival we applied for and we got in and got nominated. We didn't win one of the locals won but that's all right. Then we went back and did one in L.A. and then we have [one in] Santa Barbara coming up. People are responding really well to it. We have a couple names in it: Brian Baumgartner, who's on THE OFFICE, and Jimmy Madio, who was in Hook and BAND OF BROTHERS, that HBO series, and he played Leonardo DiCaprio's best friend in The Basketball Diaries. It was just a really special deal.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Lskreet
Member Avatar
Ratings Queen & Scoopster

Thanks.

I think he's a great addition to the show.

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

I love the way Jared has been thrown into the mix of things. It's so much better than Spencer's introduction on so many levels.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply