Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
IWABSS: Article about one finalist
Topic Started: Sep 29 2007, 11:17 AM (797 Views)
Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Linked

Lowell native up for role on soap opera

September 28, 2007
By Michelle L. Quinn Post-Tribune correspondent

A former Northwest Indiana resident will find out in October if he has what it takes to be a soap star.

Darren Zancan is one of six contestants vying for a walk-on role or possibly a small speaking part on the long-running and wildly popular soap opera "Days of Our Lives" on Soapnet's reality show, "I Want to be a Soap Star." And he has a real good chance of making it to the top, predicts one of the show's judges.

"He'll definitely be one of the top two or three," said Michael Bruno, a Los Angeles talent agent who also represents a cadre of soap actors. "He did a really, really great job."

Whether the Lowell native, who's 26 and now lives in Lexington, Ky., was drawing from rough times he was living during the audition, even he can't be sure. But save for finding love, life in Lexington wasn't going as planned.

Zancan moved from Hammond to live with his best friend, Brad Calvert, after Calvert moved there for a job. Before the move, Zancan was freelancing for the Post-

Tribune. But after the move, things got bad real quickly.

"I had just started a job as the marketing director for a rehabilitation company when I got a severe kidney ailment," Zancan said. "Shortly after that, my mom found out she had a growth in her head. It's not cancerous, but still, I hated being so far away from her."

Homesickness was taking its toll when, after recovering from his illness, he was fired from his job, though he told his boss he could work from home. That, on top of everything else, threw him into a deep depression.

"I basically couldn't even move," Zancan said. "I started therapy after that."

As he wiled away the days lying on the couch, Zancan saw advertisements for "I Want to be a Soap Star's" promotional drive, wherein the show conducted auditions in various cities for a shot at a walk-on role. The actual show had been shot in February, though the finale hadn't.

The night before the audition, his girlfriend, Kristina Cohen, convinced him to give it a shot.

"I'm not a soap fan, but I have acted in movies and commercials and, when you do professional acting, you want to keep doing it," he said. "She said I should go."

At the audition, the sight of 300 people waiting in line almost made Zancan ran for the hills. But he didn't, and went on to wow Bruno, who made an exception of the six-constant rule so Zancan could be among the cream of the crop.

"Lexington was the best city in terms of talent, so he was up against a lot of very good people," Bruno said. "Where you really saw his talent was during the monologue; he brought a lot of life to his piece and made a lot of really good acting choices."

For his first-place performance, Zancan and Cohen will be flown out to Los Angeles for "I Want to be a Soap Star's" Oct. 15 season finale, said Penni Ellington, a Soapnet spokeswoman.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Quote:

Darren Zancan is one of six contestants vying for a walk-on role or possibly a small speaking part on the long-running and wildly popular soap opera "Days of Our Lives" on Soapnet's reality show, "I Want to be a Soap Star." And he has a real good chance of making it to the top, predicts one of the show's judges.

I wonder if they were wrong about this or has the terms for the winner changed.

All the other winners have gotten a contract with the show they won for. Weird that they are saying a small speaking part or walk-on role now.

Just wonder if it is a typo

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

SteveFrame
Sep 29 2007, 11:18 AM
Quote:

I wonder if they were wrong about this or has the terms for the winner changed.

All the other winners have gotten a contract with the show they won for. Weird that they are saying a small speaking part or walk-on role now.

Just wonder if it is a typo

It would be awful if that was correct. To have to go through all of this training and competition for a 5-second piece on the lowest rated soap? Talk about a slap in the face!

Mr. Brightside
Member Avatar

I know, it's I Wanna Be A Soap STAR, not DAY PLAYER. What is this? InTurn?

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Hey the In Turn winners do better than that.

pspcindy
Member Avatar

I wonder if this could be one of the winners of a walk on part that the show hosted at a few sites around the US.

It was after one of these mass auditions in Tallahassee that James Scott went on the "naked frisbee" fame.

Just a thought.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Ummmm... there isn't anyone named Darren who is left on "Soap Star" that is up for the contract role. I don't even remember anyone named Darren being on the show at all.

I think this may be a case where they are going around the country auditioning people for the next season of "Soap Star" and letting winners get walk-on parts on DOOL.

Nixsoaps
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Sep 29 2007, 12:25 PM
Ummmm... there isn't anyone named Darren who is left on "Soap Star" that is up for the contract role. I don't even remember anyone named Darren being on the show at all.

Thank goodness IMISS. I could not figure out who the hell they were talking about. I kept going through the name of all the people that were contestants on IWBASS.

Thought I was missing something.

Jonatha

Nixsoaps
Sep 29 2007, 01:29 PM
IMissAremid
Sep 29 2007, 12:25 PM

Thank goodness IMISS. I could not figure out who the hell they were talking about. I kept going through the name of all the people that were contestants on IWBASS.

Thought I was missing something.

This had me stumped as well. The final four are: Ives, Jimena, Ashley and Justin. I thought whoever wins gets a 13 week contact with Days. I think this article may be referring to another contest for a walk on. :shrug:

jcar03
Member Avatar

Yeah, There is no contestant on I Wanna Be named Darren this I do believe is for the walk on part contest they were having. I remember seeing something about a mall tour for "I Wanna Be A Soap Star" and you had the opportunity to audition or whatever for a small walk on role.

King
Member Avatar

I'm watching the marathon.

This is a pretty great season.

I love Michael Bruno, MBE, and Hoagie.

King
Member Avatar

Although, I will say - Hoagie has an ego. Wow.

King
Member Avatar

Dang. I know I am only on episode four and weeks behind where the show is, and no one probably cares anymore, but I am really disagreeing with their decisions this season.

I loved Joyce. What I wouldn't give for more Asian-Americans on daytime. Ugh! She had a great, great look, and she was a pretty decent actress for a newcomer.

soapfan4life

King
Oct 7 2007, 12:26 AM
Dang. I know I am only on episode four and weeks behind where the show is, and no one probably cares anymore, but I am really disagreeing with their decisions this season.

I loved Joyce. What I wouldn't give for more Asian-Americans on daytime. Ugh! She had a great, great look, and she was a pretty decent actress for a newcomer.

You're not alone, pretty much at the end of most of the episodes I was like WTF. Personally I don't think any of the 3 finalist will be a good addition to days.

King
Member Avatar

Oh god. I can only imagine who gets there.

I'm on the strip tease episode right now.

They're all really, really bad. At stripping anyway.

King
Member Avatar

Ives really reminds me of Patrick Muldoon only PM is better. :lol:

King
Member Avatar

What! I liked Monica. Booooo.

King
Member Avatar

soapfan4life
Oct 7 2007, 12:43 AM

You're not alone, pretty much at the end of most of the episodes I was like WTF. Personally I don't think any of the 3 finalist will be a good addition to days.

I don't know how far Jimena gets, but I am a big, big fan.

And Ives reminds me of Patrick Muldoon meets Michael Easton. :unsure: So I could see him on DAYS.

King
Member Avatar

Now that I'm done with the marathon, I read the article.

Umm, Darren? LOL.

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

This is the second year for the I Wanna Be A Soap Star mini-challenge. I went to it last year, but was too late so I didn't get to audition. Kamar De Los Reyes (Antonio, OLTL) was the judge.

It's just added promotion for the main show, you only get a walk on role. Last year they did their final auditions on Soap Talk. The winner appeared on GH.

As for the main show, I hope Jimena wins. I was pulling for sexy Justin or Bo, but both were shamefully eliminated! I thought Justin would've been the perfect fit too.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply