Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
My October Challenge; - The Results For Me Are In
Topic Started: Sep 29 2007, 02:24 PM (965 Views)
Steve Frame
Member Avatar

As most of you know I have become pretty much an exclusive CBS soap watcher. I quit watching full episodes of anything pretty much for the biggest majority of 2007 from the end of April to the end of August. I taped all the shows and tried to watch but I found all the shows lacking and failing to draw me in. IN September that changed for me with the CBS soaps which have all drew me into them full time again.

I still watch GH and OLTL more than the other 4 but AMC and Days are still on the off list. AMC I still tape and skim through but the last 4 weeks I have not even touched my tapes of Days. In fact even beginning October 1st I took Days off my taping schedule.

Today I have made myself a challenge though. I am still going to watch my 4 CBS shows as for the first time in a long time I am hooked - even Y&R which I was disgusted with has lured me back in with the Ji Min story. I hate another murder but damn the story is really good and has really caught me. GL just continues to be the most consistently good show for me. Sure there are problems but for the last 2 weeks the show was great and even for the last week was better than ATWT.

So I will be watching them live everyday.

But my challenge which I wish could include Passions but I don't have Direct TV is that I am going to take the other 4 shows - 1 a week and make myself watch every single episode that week. I have pretty much been doing that with my tapes of OLTL and GH but even with those 2 I find myself fastforwarding. For the month of October for that week though I will not allow myself to FF anything.

Then I am going to report back at the end of the week what I thought. I know that some of you won't care, but this is for me. I have been a die hard fan of all 8 shows at some point in my 30 years of soap viewing and I find it sad that for shows like Days and AMC who I have such a long love affair with just don't garner any feeling from me. I have to give them one more chance before I write them off for good.

I am not sure in what order that I will take the shows but most likely I will take Days first as for one of the spoilers that Lskreet has given us scoop on I am just not interested in seeing at all. I know if I am forcing myself to watch that week it will be enough to make the challenge fail. Even though I am not as upset about that as I would have been a month ago due to my unattachment from the show, I am still upset enough to get angry and bow out of the challenge.

Of course no one has too, but I would love any joiners in the challenge. Even if you just give one other show a chance.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I'm totally interested to hear your opinion at the end of the week. It's been so many years (like over 15 years) since I watched most of the soaps that I used to watch that I wouldn't know who's who's on those shows anymore. GH might be the only I might be able to try this experiment with -- I did watch Laura's return and did see a few familiar faces on there and was introduced to some of the newer characters-- but didn't stick around after she retreated back into mental illness.

Might be interesting to try it out.
Quote Post Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

This is an interesting challenge.

I think I might be down for this because thanks to SoapNet I could actually participate in this without having to tape anything.

Right now the only soap I watch every day is DOOL, although I sort of have general ideas of what's going on on YandR (which at one time I did watch every day) as well as AMC and GH (which I have just started following a little bit over the course of the last few months). I don't think I have ever watched an entire episode of OLTL in my life so that week could be interesting, but maybe fun. We'll see.

King
Member Avatar

Too bad this week couldn't have been DAYS' week. It was really good, which means the next few will probably be...not good. Haha.

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

Nice idea, Steve!

My taping schedule changes daily. In the morning, I read the short recaps offered on the Time Warner Cable Guide of every soap and tivo the ones that sound interesting. If a soap is exceptionally good for a long time, I just wind up tivoing it daily until it winds down. So currently I tivo ATWT and Y&R everyday, and lately it's been OLTL as well. AMC, I can take a few days a week. It's getting pretty good. It's the same way for GH. Guza and B&E have an equal number of good and bad days every week.

B&B, GL, and DAYS I usually watch Friday only unless some big event is happening. I just hate putting myself through watching Days. <_<

Nixsoaps
Member Avatar

Nice idea Steve. I was just thinking about picking up Y&R again from reading about a storyline that I may be interested in. I think I will do this as well. The first week will be Y&R. Then I can progress from there.

My 3 soaps have always been AMC, Y&R, and Days. In that order. Now I am down to just Days.

Can't wait to hear what you think of Days. As well as AMC and Y&R.

kserox10

I hope you can do it Steve

DAYS has been off my list for months!

Mason

Too bad you're not watching DAYS. You have no idea what you're missing.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I am sure Days will be the hardest for me as my emotional attachment to the show has wained so much. For me I can watch and enjoy other shows on TV without attachment but for me soaps have to have that to a certain extent. Even during the bad times if you have attachment to the characters and all, it makes a big difference. My attachment to Days has gotten to the point that the show can be Pulitzer Prize winning worthy and it won't matter. I think Corday and Hogan for that one. My emotional attachment to the show has never wained but thanks to their experiments with the show this year it has.

Nix I won't be using Y&R as part of the experiment as I am already back to watching it. I am madly in love with the show now and mostly because it is about characters I love and care about - front and center right now. They still show Amber more than I would like but the last month the shows have been heavy with Jack, Victor, Gloria, Nikki, Kay and Jill along with Michael, Phyllis, and Nick and Sharon. I am back to loving to hate Gloria and Victor both and Latham is making me get back in the mode of wanting to strangle both of them. It has been a long time since I got so involved with any program that I have wanted to do that. There has been nice mixtures of the great drama but lighthearted comedy moments too esp. with Kay. The show is not perfect but it is better than it's been in a long time.

oakdalelover

Interesting subject,Steve.

Last year I started watching DAYS. Beth Milstein was the interim head writer and I got hooked. I don't watch everyday like I used too. My opinion,Beth should have been named the permanent head writer or Sheffer's co-HW.

I had thought of taking up All My Children. My brother and his wife have watched this show for over 20 years! I don't know though. Brown and Esensten were lousy in their final years at GL. I have heard about the shaky camera work. ATWT is doing that some now and that gets on my nerves.

How about it AMC fans? Could a long time ATWT fan enjoy your show?

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

oakdalelover
Sep 29 2007, 10:20 PM
Interesting subject,Steve.

Last year I started watching DAYS. Beth Milstein was the interim head writer and I got hooked. I don't watch everyday like I used too. My opinion,Beth should have been named the permanent head writer or Sheffer's co-HW.

I had thought of taking up All My Children. My brother and his wife have watched this show for over 20 years! I don't know though. Brown and Esensten were lousy in their final years at GL. I have heard about the shaky camera work. ATWT is doing that some now and that gets on my nerves.

How about it AMC fans? Could a long time ATWT fan enjoy your show?

Definately! And AMC's shaky camera work is nothing like ATWT's. lol. In fact, I barely notice it most of the time.

Nixsoaps
Member Avatar

SteveFrame
Sep 29 2007, 05:34 PM
Nix I won't be using Y&R as part of the experiment as I am already back to watching it. I am madly in love with the show now and mostly because it is about characters I love and care about - front and center right now. They still show Amber more than I would like but the last month the shows have been heavy with Jack, Victor, Gloria, Nikki, Kay and Jill along with Michael, Phyllis, and Nick and Sharon. I am back to loving to hate Gloria and Victor both and Latham is making me get back in the mode of wanting to strangle both of them. It has been a long time since I got so involved with any program that I have wanted to do that. There has been nice mixtures of the great drama but lighthearted comedy moments too esp. with Kay. The show is not perfect but it is better than it's been in a long time.

Glad to hear Y&R is better. It's been a while since I have watched part of an episode, and even longer since I have watched a full one. I think I will try it out thise week and see if I can get back into it.

I'm had actually decided to watch AMC on the 8th because I am a sucker for changing actors, so I will hopefully bring myself to be able to watch it for that week.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Well I have heard good things about Days for this last week from people I trust so I am going to bring an oath I took not to ever turn SoapNet back on in my house and watch this weeks Days marathon as my week of the October Challenge. I know it is still part of September but I want to know I am watching what is supposed to be a good week for Days. And as I said I do not want to watch the week that something is supposed to happen - so I know this will be a safe one.

The marathon has not been coming on here but I just checked our TV Guide program and it is back on at 8:00/7:00 central here so I am going to start my October challenge in a few minutes with Days.

And then start tomorrow with AMC or OLTL I think. Jonny's column has me stoked for some OLTL now. LOL

I never dreamed so many would be inspired to do the challenge too. I am happy to see others embrace it. Hey at least we are trying not to let the soaps die without a fight. I just wish the people behind the scenes cared as much as we do.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I'm beginning to believe I should have waited. I am an hour and a half in and yes I am seeing Ed Scott's touches. The show looks better and the acting is better. The actors are doing a wonderful job with the crap they are given.

See my biggest problem is still the same so far. Hogan has made me not care about so many of the characters I once loved. I have no stake in Sami and Lucas or Sami and EJ so right now she has just been issued this great emotional challenge and it is a big joke for me. I say shoot Lucas then EJ and then turn the gun on yourself and put me out of my misery.

Shelley Henning is a wonderful actress, but I don't like the character of Stephanie that Hogie has created.

Trevor Donovan has improved leaps and bounds since I quit watching 4 weeks ago, but I still don't like Jeremy.

Nick and Chelsea were one of my favorite couples but what Hogan has done to them I can't get into their scenes. And these 2 kids still don't mean anything to me even though Nick is cute trying to be a dad to them.

And I am watching the Stefano and Steve scenes right now. Well all of you know I never wanted Stefano to come back so I am not that invested still in this scene. I am still waiting to see the old Stefano back and some of you say he came back this week - so I am holding out for that. I doubt that it will make me like Stefano as I have not enjoyed him in so long. I will give that he can act though.

Thaao is wonderful as Andre but another explosion I did not need to see and another kidnapping seems like rinse and repeat and rinse again at this point.

I do see all the wonderful changes and thoroughly enjoying them but whether it will be enough to make me want to stay around I will wait to see on Friday's show. So far I have not seen anything that would have made me change my vote in the Top 20.

the show is technically brilliant, but the balance is still way off so far and the stories still suck.

Nixsoaps
Member Avatar

That is a very fair assessment Steve. I personally think the good things of last weeks days did not happen at the beginning of the week. Many changes have been made by Ed Scott that have helped the show a great deal, but the writing for many characters needs to change.

I haven't watched OLTL in years, I don't even think I would recognize half the cast.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

That's awesome, Steve! Good luck with that challenge.

I wish you were incorporating DAYS into that challenge though, so I could read your reflections.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Jinxed Soul
Sep 30 2007, 09:23 PM

I wish you were incorporating DAYS into that challenge though, so I could read your reflections.

Jinxed, Days is part of the challenge. In fact I am doing it now. About 2 or 3 posts above yours is the first part of my thoughts on Days.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

SteveFrame
Sep 30 2007, 10:33 PM
Jinxed Soul

Jinxed, Days is part of the challenge. In fact I am doing it now. About 2 or 3 posts above yours is the first part of my thoughts on Days.

But, you said DAYS is on your offlist. And, I don't see any posts above mine, except your two posts. :huh:

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Nixsoaps
Sep 30 2007, 09:12 PM
That is a very fair assessment Steve. I personally think the good things of last weeks days did not happen at the beginning of the week. Many changes have been made by Ed Scott that have helped the show a great deal, but the writing for many characters needs to change.

I haven't watched OLTL in years, I don't even think I would recognize half the cast.

Nix I can appreciate that. I am Wednesday's show now. It is a little better but I am still not sold. Sad but the people I care about the most and have the most attachment to are just reading letters or not hardly on. That is hurting still my enjoyment of the show. Every time I see Doug & Julie reading letters too it brings up the announcement that they would be returning and be a big part of this story.

I am still very impressed with the acting and the lighting and the overall direction of the show. It is so much better.

I know that Sami shooting Lucas was supposed to be a big dramatic moment but it was still lost on me. Still wish she had killed both somehow. LOL

And I still don't care about Santo and Colleen and those accents are still unbearable. Wish Scott had done something about that.

The best thing I have enjoyed so far was Nick with the black guy. Those scenes have been very well done. I still feel if I was attached more to the characters it would help me enjoy it even more.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Jinxed Soul
Sep 30 2007, 09:35 PM
SteveFrame
Sep 30 2007, 10:33 PM
Jinxed Soul

But, you said DAYS is on your offlist. And, I don't see any posts above mine, except your two posts. :huh:

Not sure what is going on, but there is a post by Nixsoaps and then 2 by me where I started the Days challenge. Then a post about Monday and Tuesday's shows.

Days has been off the list but they are the reason I started the challenge - to give them one more chance before I take them completely off.

Right now it is not looking good. I still describe as this:

It reminds me of a critically acclaimed movie like The English Patient. That movie won all kinds of acclaim and is a beautifully filmed and acted movie but it is boring as hell.

Days is beautifully filmed and acted right now. It is not necessarily boring but nothing is reeling me in due to loss of attachment to the characters. Sami, EJ and Lucas are on so much and I actually feel nothing for the characters anymore. As I said before it would not bother me at all if Sami would have shot Lucas, then EJ and turned the gun on herself. That is how much I care for them anymore. And Lumi has always been a favorite couple and Sami has always been a favorite character - But Hogan has made me hate all 3.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply