Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Teenage Pregnancy On Guiding Light
Topic Started: Sep 30 2007, 11:45 PM (480 Views)
Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Linked

Teenage pregnancy on 'Guiding Light'

By CAROLYN HINSEY

Sunday, September 30th 2007, 4:00 AM

Daisy asks an ER nurse for a pregnancy test tomorrow on "Guiding Light," and you know what that means.

"She doesn't want it to be true," explains Bonnie Dennison, who plays the troubled teen. "She's in denial, so talking to a stranger is safer than someone she's close to."

Cue the blood test.

"The nurse comes in and tells her it's positive," continues Dennison. "She's all alone. She's pretty scared - and shocked."Dazed, Daisy walks out and runs smack into her grandmother, Reva. "She runs away from her because she can't look her in the eye and talk to her right now. But Reva chases after her and makes her sit down, telling her, 'No matter what happens, I'll help you through it. What's wrong?' So she tells her: 'I'm pregnant.'

"Reva advises Daisy to go to her parents, Dylan and Harley, with the news, but Daisy says she can't face that.

"There are all sorts of things going through Daisy's mind," says Dennison. "She was put up for adoption by her mother, who had her when she was 16 or 17. So she's a product of being put up for adop-tion and then the whole ordeal of having gone back to her birth parents.She knows the consequences of [teen pregnancy] very personally."

So Daisy is reluctant to share the "good" news. "She's been told all her life by Harley, 'Just don't get pregnant. Don't get pregnant. Be safe. Be smart.' So the one thing that would truly disappoint her mother, she's done. It's a very deep feeling of, 'Oh, my God. What do I do?'

"Did she have unsafe sex with her boyfriend, Rafe?

"They keep it sort of vague," responds the actress, referring to scenes that aired in mid-September. "They bought a box of condoms, but then they decided not to have sex. Then they did have sex, but in another room. I think Daisy was so caught up in everything, she's not sure. Which is another point that maybe should be touched on - the female should also be aware of what's happening."

Too late now!

"She hasn't even graduated high school yet," laments Dennison."A teenager at that age should be thinking about her cap and gown, prom. And she doesn't want to be in a muumuu!"
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Scott
Member Avatar

Wow this actually sounds very good. I like that they are using Daisy's history and background. I might have to start watching GL just for this

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I think it is a beautiful story so far.

And as Dennison says in the article. Harley has preached to her all along not to get pregnant. It is a great use of history.

ljacks13
Member Avatar

From Tvguide.ca

Guiding Light (CH/CBS) — Lazy writing alert!
Here’s a shocker: Daisy finds out she’s pregnant with Rafe’s baby after her first time in the sack, just like her mother Harley and future mother-in-law Natalia. This is the first sign of lazy, unimaginative writers, people — and we can’t believe no one has the ego to question these decisions before they make it to air. Entertain us, GL — it’s not that hard; you’re not curing cancer.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

This is one time I don't see this as lazy writing. In real life kids many times follow in the foot steps of their parents. Things like this aren't hereditary, but many times no matter how hard parents try to keep their kids from making the same mistakes they do - it happens. This is so going to cause so much drama, as Harley has always been so against this. She is going to be so disappointed in Daisy.

To each their own but this is one time I can see this happening.

Mason
Member Avatar

I don't think it's necessarily lazy writing...I just don't like it.

Scott
Member Avatar

Well I for one think its a great story. As a product of a young pregnancy, my parents were 20 and 22 when they had me, I have seen how hard it can be. I have a few friends that were parents before they were even 18 or out of high school, so as long as the show stays true to how difficult it is to raise a child at such a young age, I think it will be a successful story.

Mason
Member Avatar

I don't think I would mind the story so much, if A. Daisy's age hadn't been screwed up so much, and B. Rafe wasn't the one that knocked her up (just the thought of those two spawning makes me want to lose my lunch).

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Well sadly if you are going to watch soaps these days you have to accept the age things. Every soap has a big problem with this except for Y&R who has less of a problem than the others.

I mean just look at Erica on AMC; Kendall on AMC; EJ on Days; and so on and so on and so on. I used those 3 because they are the most messed up ages in my mind.

Mason
Member Avatar

I know, but Daisy in particular irks me because we've already seen her at this age long before DK brought her back. She should be graduating college right now, not high school. It's the fact that Kreizman so blatantly DE-aged the character that really annoys me.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Oh I hate it too. I have the same damn problem with Erica on AMC. She has been so deaged it is not believeable anymore. It is sad that to watch soaps now we have to so blatantly give up reality in order to enjoy them. We either do that or we just walk away.

~bl~
Member Avatar

There is suspending disbelief, and then screwing the time line. Sadly too many soaps screw their time lines up way too much. I like Bonnie Dennison, but don't like that they made Daisy so young.

Also the idea that Daisy was a virgin was kind of a stretch as she was dating/seen in bed with G the hitman in boarding school.

Wish they would have gone a different route, like Harley saw them together found out they may have not used a condom and took Daisy to a clinic for a morning after pill, STD tests and the whole nine yards.

JtSmarts
Member Avatar

I definitely agree with all of you about them messing up Daisy's time line. That is one of the reasons I cannot get into the storyline. It seems to go against all we knew about Susan/Daisy under Brittany Snow.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply