Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Soap's Unsung Heroes
Topic Started: Oct 2 2007, 12:25 AM (239 Views)
Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I did one of these back several years ago on SON, and interested in what people's thoughts are on this now.

There are some performers who seem to get all the glory whether it be awards, nominations, critical praise, constantly talked about by the fans, they finish first in the polls consistently, etc.

At the same time every show has performers who consistently give good performances, but are constantly left out for awards, nominations, polls, etc. Those are soaps unsung heroes. Who are those guys to you?

AMC - Jennifer Bassey, Ray MacDonnell and Walt Willey always seem to live in the shadows of their more popular co-stars'

ATWT - Kelley Menighan Hensley is the first one that comes to mind. She is not as overlooked as some daytime stars, but she still lives in the shadows of her other co-stars. Scott Holmes is another one from this show, who doesn't get the credit he deserves.

B&B - I can't think of anybody in the current cast, but John McCook comes close. He is overlooked many times when he shouldn't be.

Days - Josh Taylor, Julie Pinson, Thaao Penghlis and Lauren Koslow are so overlooked on this show

GH - Lindze Letherman and Kin Shriner especially come to mind. Both are great. Kin has always played second fiddle to others on the show and seems to never get credit for the things he has done.

GL - Tina Sloan gives this show 100% and always has on every show she is on.

OLTL - if Philip Carey was still on the show, I would have to say him. He was so overlooked for so long by so many. Of current ones I think Kamar Des Los Reyes is one that comes to mind. Timothy J. Stickney who is still on recurring is another. Catherine Hickland falls in there too even though she has gotten some attention lately, but she is long overdue for award acknowledgement.

Passions - For me Ben Masters, Liza Huber and Kim Johnston Ulrich are wonderful but have been overlooked by others in favor of more popular stars like Juliet, Lindsay, and others.

Y&R - Doug Davidson most definitely fits here. he is constantly overlooked and shouldn't be. Melody Thomas Scott fits in here some too. Even though she gets some attention, it is not what she fully deserves.

Would love to hear your thoughts.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Here are some that come to my mind right now...

Julie Pinson
Peggy McCay
Frank Parker
Lauren Koslow
Thaao Penghlis
Bill Hayes
Susan Seaforth-Hayes
Ellen Dolan
Kelley Menighan-Hensley
Jon Hensley
Scott Holmes
Renee Jones
Tina Sloan
Beth Chamberlin
Liza Huber
Kim Ulrich
Liz Keifer
Kathleen Widdoes

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

As much as I love them, I would have to remove Peggy, Bill & Susan from the list.

Bill & Susan have multiple awards to their name and tons of wins in readers polls and stuff. Most of it is in the past, but they have definitely been "sung"

Peggy is the same way. She is not much so now, but she has numerous primetime Emmys and 1 daytime Emmy nom. She is a wonderful actress and deserves every one of them.

I can't believe I forgot to include Frank Parker. I had him in mind earlier and left him off. Renee Jones is a definite too.

MichaelGL
Member Avatar
Sexy Jew

Mines not a performer (I'll list that later), but instead is a former Executive Producer. Robert Calhoun, a guy who set in motion the glory years of the current surviving P&G soaps; ATWT and GL. JFP and Laurence Caso would take all the glory after he departed, but I always thought that he did a good job revitalizing soaps and hiring the right writers for the soaps he oversaw.

My list...
Beth Chamberlain
Tina Sloane
Renee Jones
Peter Simon
Michael O'Leary

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply