Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Please read. Info about Drake.No bashing please!
Topic Started: Oct 5 2007, 08:55 AM (1,676 Views)
Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I understand Mike that there is a difference. I mean one he keeps his job and most likely goes back to nothing. I want to thank the best if he stays, but it is so hard too. I understand that people will be happy that he is not fired.

But again I point out we already know he is having a funeral. So if he stays that means it is another fake death and I see that doing just as much damage as if they fired him.

If they are going to go the death route they need to let it be. They should have never went there. After SSK, Maleswan, and this summer of kidnappings, bombs, and etcetera that no one ended up ever being in danger and Stefano coming back from the dead and then another fake death for him and a fake funeral - John being another fake funeral destroys still any credibility the show has. If Scott is wanting to try to overcome some of that then John just needs to stay dead as much as I hate that.

If Days is going to be better technically they need to improve their image too.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jcar03
Member Avatar

Y&RWorldTurner
Oct 5 2007, 03:30 PM
Guys, I think we should wait until its officially announced that Drake has been let go. At least with the cases of other fired stars, we knew ahead of time. We don't know if this is certain as of now.

I agree. People get their panties in a twist to fast over what could turn out to be some stupid fake death.

But...maybe just maybe....the show is going the old fashion route and not commenting and giving the whole plot in SOD the week before.

I'm crossing my fingers for a differnt turnout then many of you want as are from what I can tell MANY MANY other people who have tuned out the show on other boards I visit.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Days has been in a damned if they do, damned if they don't position for ten years now. The show never pleases everyone so they may as well take a risk. They got nothing to lose at this point.

I agree with those saying it's better to wait. If I was in Vegas, I would place my bet that Drake isn't gone even if he gives an exit interview.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

People can preach money issues all they want, but I can't see how that's even an issue. It's not like Drake is making 100,000 bucks an episode. If money were an issue; Peggy McCay, Suzanne Rogers, Frank Parker, James Reynolds, Renee Jones and Julie Pinson would be recurring, since they are hardly ever used.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

I am surprised they are organizing a picket line.

That's old school :rockon: If I lived in LA, I'd be there with my sign

King
Member Avatar

Someone should make a graphic, an online picket sign. And that way, people can attach them to emails and send them to everyone at NBC/DAYS.

They're emails will get full and they'll miss important emails.

That would be fun(ny). :lol:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Picket lines? This is reminding me of what happened when everyone thought Dee was killed off in the 80's only for it to have been her sister, Sam.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Rick
Oct 6 2007, 12:34 AM
People can preach money issues all they want, but I can't see how that's even an issue. It's not like Drake is making 100,000 bucks an episode. If money were an issue; Peggy McCay, Suzanne Rogers, Frank Parker, James Reynolds, Renee Jones and Julie Pinson would be recurring, since they are hardly ever used.

Thank you!

Fuck the budget excuse. I'm not buying it anymore.

DaysFanJean
Member Avatar

If Drake is as good an actor and hot a commodity as people give him credit for, he can not possibly be in trouble career wise. Personally, I don't think he is and he should be grateful for the years he had on Days. Also, I think John is one of the good guys so I'd be sad he was gone, but certainly don't credit it to the acting. I don't believe a word of this until Drake gives his version and also, if Days is doing a fake death, I believe that will hurt the show worse than a real one.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

DaysFanJean
Oct 6 2007, 04:21 AM
if Days is doing a fake death, I believe that will hurt the show worse than a real one.

I absolutely agree

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Jean unfortunately acting talent has nothing to do with vets getting fired these days. If it did Julia Barr would have never been fired or Philip Carey and so on.

This just all boils down to writers not wanting to write for them anymore.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

SteveFrame
Oct 6 2007, 10:30 AM
Jean unfortunately acting talent has nothing to do with vets getting fired these days. If it did Julia Barr would have never been fired or Philip Carey and so on.

And Steve, as a self-proclaimed Hogan Ho, I never wanted to accept that, but unfortunately, I'm starting to. Had this been another major impactor, like Bo or Hope, or Roman, I wouldn't have a problem with the death. However, to put J&M fans through this after what he put them through for most of the year, it's just wrong.

King
Member Avatar

SteveFrame
Oct 6 2007, 09:30 AM

I kind of don't blame them. :shrug:

It's hard to write for vets, especially DAYS' vets.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

King, I can't believe I am agreeing with you so much but I am.

I think we all underestimate how hard it is to write for Days and that is because they have so many vets that have been through so much that it's hard to come up with anything. Throw in the budget and the fact that fickle fans don't want this or that and you have a recipe for disaster.

You have people that want adventure and people who want romance and so on. You have so many groups wanting different things that the show is in an impossible situation no matter which way you look at it.

Seriously, if I were in Hogan's position, I would probably be an alcoholic having to deal with all the shit he has had to.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

King
Oct 6 2007, 02:49 PM
SteveFrame
Oct 6 2007, 09:30 AM

I kind of don't blame them. :shrug:

It's hard to write for vets, especially DAYS' vets.

Sadly though until they do I don't see much hope for soaps at all as a whole. The only reason that Y&R has managed to stay above the 4.0 mark is because Latham with all her faults still writes for the vets. The reason that OLTL is now making a resurgence is because Carvilati is putting the veteran characters of Lindsey, Nora, Marcie, Michael, Dorian and Bo back in the forefront. The ratings are stirring a little but they haven't at least fallen like Days and AMC and others like ATWT.

Blame them or not. Let them not want too whatever. Fans are speaking all the time that they want stories about characters they know and love. GH's ratings surges in sweeps months are more to do about balance than the stunt. They are the only months that some of the characters get front and center. People tune in to see that. People tune in to see the returns of characters they love because the rest of the year they get tired of Sonny, Jason, Spinelli, etc.

Guza and Frons as well as the other writers are clueless as to what viewers want. Fans have been telling Corday and Hogan all year what they want but they rank right up there in the clue department with Frons and Guza and the rest of the hacks running daytime right now.

I find it weird that Kreizman and Latham who are deemed by many as the "WORST" writers in daytime can come up with stories for their vets, giving fans what they want and the other writers who are deemed "BETTER" can't.

Fans have proven many times with soaps that even a lesser interesting or grade story about a character they love will get better ratings than a top notch story about a character they don't care about. It is what has kept soaps alive for years. The plans adopted in the last few years is what is killing them.

King
Member Avatar

Well, I don't think fans of OLTL's vets are nearly as rabid, fickle, or stubborn as fans of DAYS' vets. Nora and Lindsey can commit murder or get raped or get a disease, and it's fine.

If Marlena got a disease or Hope got raped or John slept around like OLTL's Bo does or had as many wives as him, then DAYS fans would not like that either.

daysfan
Member Avatar

King
Oct 6 2007, 03:19 PM
Well, I don't think fans of OLTL's vets are nearly as rabid, fickle, or stubborn as fans of DAYS' vets. Nora and Lindsey can commit murder or get raped or get a disease, and it's fine.

If Marlena got a disease or Hope got raped or John slept around like OLTL's Bo does or had as many wives as him, then DAYS fans would not like that either.

THANK YOU!

Days fanbases are fickle, and Days can never do something right no matter if we have JER, Hogan Sheffer, Ed Scott, or anyone else being the major head honchos leading the show.

No one can make the fanbases happy anymore. Say what you will, even if somehow William J. Bell rose from the grave and wrote Days the fanbases would not be happy.

Hogan should write way more for the vets, and if Corday is interfereing or something he needs to tell him to back off, because with the current state he can do that since Corday is running out of people to bring in to help Days. But I have a feeling no matter what storyline Hogan put the vets in they would not be happy. It's been that way for years and is one of the critical thing that tears Days apart.

I am not saying Hogan is not at fault somewhat, because he is, but still it seems like no one can make the fanbases happy.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I agree King, but again as I have said before Days is as much at fault for that as the fan bases. Days created them, heralded them, and for years proclaimed itself the supercouple show. They have lived off this "destined to be together" theme for so long.

And even still to this day knowing the damage it is done (at least I hope they know) they still are harboring it. Hogan keeps playing on the fan base thing and instead of writing acknowledges the damn fanbases. He keeps in his interviews pitting the Lumi fanbase against the EJami fanbase.

The way that Days does this from time to time, it makes me wonder if Days didn't do the comforter thing just to stir up publicity and hopefully use the Payla/Jarlena feud to stir up publicity for the show. They sure are loving pitting the Lumi/EJami's against one another.

yes the fanbases are wrong for not allowing the characters and couples to grow and expand, but Days has preached for so many years that the "couples are destined to be" and creating this formula. That formula for quite some time now has been the Big 4 and now all of a sudden they want to abandon the formula they have sold to fans for at least 20 years now. And expect the fanbases they created and have used to buy it in one big gulp.

It has spelled disaster for the show.

King
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Oct 6 2007, 02:53 PM

Trust me, I am equally shocked and frightened. :lol: :cheers:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

King
Oct 6 2007, 04:38 PM
PhoenixRising05
Oct 6 2007, 02:53 PM

Trust me, I am equally shocked and frightened. :lol: :cheers:

It's not a bad thing though :lol:

I'm quite enjoying it :) .

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply