Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Please read. Info about Drake.No bashing please!
Topic Started: Oct 5 2007, 08:55 AM (1,699 Views)
wickednana
Unregistered

King
Oct 6 2007, 02:49 PM
SteveFrame
Oct 6 2007, 09:30 AM

This just all boils down to writers not wanting to write for them anymore.

I kind of don't blame them. :shrug:

It's hard to write for vets, especially DAYS' vets.

this is so true. and one of the main reasons it is hard to write for days vets is the dang fans who wont let things be mixed around a little..

put bo with another woman..all hell breaks loose

put hope with another man..ditto

break up steve and kayla with billie (interesting dymnamic i thought ) double ditto

hope was never more interesting than when she was the princess gina person..

john with kate? it was hot, but it drove the jarlena ones crazy

then of course..here comes the lumi train..the only one that we may get to see wrecked in a way that will entertain..

so i wish john could stay, but i am still a bring back izzy or move him onto kate person.
Quote Post Goto Top

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

I actually thought Billie and Steve were hot and so was John and Kate.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Hypnotoad

But the problem with Billie and Steve or Kate and John was not that the pairing weren't hot. Rather, it was that we knew that Kate and Billie were just devices to You get in the way of the main couples, S/K and J/M respectively. There was NEVER any question of that. So of course fans cried out because it was a waste of a story and a waste of time. I was pissed with J/K b/c it amounted to nothing, was never intended to amount to anything and worst of all, had absolutely no consequences or effect on J/M. In the end, it was all filler.

A smart writer, nix that, a ballsy writer will take risks and make them count. If the writers had intended to break up Bo and Hope ever they'd better make it one hell of a story that made sense and was not some contrived plot device. Same for all the other super couples. That is why Reilly will go down in history as the worst writer of all time - he was lazy and only wrote contrived filler for popular couples.

I hope Drake isn't off the cast. But if he's gone I hope that they make this a banner story and take these risks. Calculate them and make them matter.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Jate had great potential in the beginning but JER fucked that up during the drug addict story.

Steve/Billie could've been great if it hadn't come during a time of transition and when Steve/Kayla fans wanted to delve into his past and for him to get his memory back. I will give Steve and Kayla fans credit because they stuck it out and the venom was at a reasonable level.

Here is the problem, though. Even if Days tells a great story to break up a couple, the fanbases will still bitch to high heaven. The couple can't do this and can't do that. God forbid they have an argument. That could lead to a boycott. They are far too fickle and that is why Ed needs to push the show to take risks and to attract more general fans and new fans. Yes, the core fans, many of whom are lost, are important but we need compelling drama and stories. Days did create them but the internet age has turned them into a show-eating monster, moreso on Days then any other. It's gotten so bad since 1997 that any writer that comes to Days should be given an instructional lesson on how to deal with writing Days.

It's gotta change. The fanbases can't rule the show. It's time for a new era starting now. Compelling drama over fanbase pandering. That is the only way Days is going to make it. If they lose more longtime fans, so be it. It may sound harsh but it's the way they have to go IMO.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

PhoenixRising05
Oct 7 2007, 01:34 AM
It's gotta change.  The fanbases can't rule the show.  It's time for a new era starting now.  Compelling drama over fanbase pandering.  That is the only way Days is going to make it.  If they lose more longtime fans, so be it.  It may sound harsh but it's the way they have to go IMO.

I think that era is already here.

And the piper's fee is a millon viewers

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Rick
Oct 7 2007, 03:58 AM
PhoenixRising05
It's gotta change.  The fanbases can't rule the show.  It's time for a new era starting now.  Compelling drama over fanbase pandering.  That is the only way Days is going to make it.  If they lose more longtime fans, so be it.  It may sound harsh but it's the way they have to go IMO.

Nice fee. :lol:

The sad thing is right now Days can't afford to anger fans - not if it wants to survive. Any other time I would say so but if they lose more viewers at this point and the demos don't go up - no other network is going to be interested in it. And NBC affiliates won't stick with it if it's performance doesn't pick up.

peaches179

Rick
PhoenixRising05

ITA.I don't think Days will be getting back those lost viewers.

peaches179

SteveFrame
Oct 7 2007, 12:49 PM
Rick
PhoenixRising05

Nice fee. :lol:

The sad thing is right now Days can't afford to anger fans - not if it wants to survive. Any other time I would say so but if they lose more viewers at this point and the demos don't go up - no other network is going to be interested in it. And NBC affiliates won't stick with it if it's performance doesn't pick up.

Sadly, ICAM.

DaysFanJean
Member Avatar

I think I'd accept Bo or Hope with another person if we saw the drifting apart slowly and then the break up and then time alone then another person enter their lives instead of fruit basket turnover with no emotional realism except sensationalism. If Hope had been paired with a character who was respected and a standup type, instead of the weakling Patrick Lockhart, I think that would have been more acceptable to the fans. If Bo had been paired with anyone but Billie Reed, that could have been more acceptble to the fans. In other words, why break up a great pair to weaken both of them. Their new pairing would have to be as strong or stronger.....such as John and Marlena after Roman and Marlena. There just can't be instant gratification with just anyone and make a hit. JMHO

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Rick
PhoenixRising05

Then they need to try to attract new fans.

This show can't continue the way it was. The fanbases don't do anything but make things worse. The show has nothing to lose. It's already in dire straits so why not?

I say they attract people looking for drama and compelling stories rather then people looking for supercouple bliss very day. These are different times and it's time the shoe adopt a new strategy because the one from the last ten years has not worked. JMO.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

I'm not looking for Super Couple Bliss everyday at all, but some Love and Romance between characters in the present and not from 50 years ago would be nice.......

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Rhiannon
Oct 7 2007, 11:13 PM
I'm not looking for Super Couple Bliss everyday at all, but some Love and Romance between characters in the present and not from 50 years ago would be nice.......

WORD.

Remember this show is Days of our LIVES not Days of our DEATHS.

Days could stand to mix in a little love in the afternoon with all the life and death crises.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Some romance is fine so what is being requested on this board is reasonable.

Go over to some fanboards and Sony and all they want is couples sucking face and so on. That is what I am alluding to.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

PhoenixRising05
Oct 8 2007, 01:11 AM

Go over to some fanboards and Sony and all they want is couples sucking face and so on. That is what I am alluding to.

PR, I belong to some fanboards and visit Sony often and don't see anyone making unreasonable demands in the romance department and I see no one asking for nothing but couples sucking face (which consequently is not the same thing as romance and in some cases is the opposite of it). So I really have no idea what you are alluding to.

And really just as an observation I have to say that as much as you seem to want to point the finger at Hogan critics for placing too much of the show's woes on the head writer you sure criticize DOOL fans A LOT for reasons I don't understand.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

IMissAremid
Oct 8 2007, 02:37 AM
PhoenixRising05
Oct 8 2007, 01:11 AM

Go over to some fanboards and Sony and all they want is couples sucking face and so on.  That is what I am alluding to.

PR, I belong to some fanboards and visit Sony often and don't see anyone making unreasonable demands in the romance department and I see no one asking for nothing but couples sucking face (which consequently is not the same thing as romance and in some cases is the opposite of it). So I really have no idea what you are alluding to.

And really just as an observation I have to say that as much as you seem to want to point the finger at Hogan critics for placing too much of the show's woes on the head writer you sure criticize DOOL fans A LOT for reasons I don't understand.

It's not all fans. Just the rabid fanbases that are never happy. The fickle fans who never seem to find any satisfaction with the show and live to dissect it left and right.

It's no one on here. I find these people on several other boards I lurk at and, yes, the sony boards is one of them. That board is the worst offender and I stand by my comments.

I know romance is not the same as "sucking face." That was more or less me trying to show the irrationality of some of the demands. It just seems like fans want one thing and then, when they get it, they don't like it and want something else resulting in the show becoming a clusterfuck because the fanbases never know what they want.

For example, let's use Bo and Hope. Say Days comes up with a fantastic story that will give them conflict in their marriage. Well, this example of compelling drama can never happen because fanbases get upset if Hope or Bo looks wrong at each other. The rabid fanbases hold the show back from telling compelling stories that other shows are able to because they have some leeway in that regard and it's sad. That is why I point the finger at those fans because, in my eyes, they are just as much to blame for the state of the show as the writers. How many rewrites has the show had to go through because they panicked as a result of fan boycotts, etc? The show has become a watered down mess at times because these fanbases have a fit if their couple so much as has a realistic argument. It's sad. I'm not saying there aren't some people in those masses that don't support good drama but the vast majority don't and that was my point.

Compare this to the DR and SON, where we crave drama and just good stories to entertain us. That was my point IMA.
:)

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Speaking of Bo and Hope, the show actually did find the one thing that could've destroyed their relationship and that was the death of Zach. Each blamed the other, the grief was overwhelming and we could've seen a marriage fall apart because of a tragedy and it would've been a great story.

But instead of running with that, they made it all about Chelsea.

Ridge
Member Avatar

psychofan
Oct 5 2007, 03:57 PM
Y&RWorldTurner
Oct 5 2007, 03:33 PM
Do you guys remember last year when OLTL made it look like Todd was going to be killed off and had Trevor St. John do exit interviews in the soap magazines? For the execution event OLTL did get a ratings spike, but it was never able to hold on to that audience. I think Days might be trying for something similar.

But there was never a spoiler that specifically said that Todd wasn't revived. It said the execution went through, but most people still knew that he would live.

If Days kills John, as much as I would hate it, maybe it would be the last thing Sheffer ever did as head writer.

Yup, and TSJ did not do an exit interview he did interviews where he said Todd died. It was really a mumz... similar to Drake's interviews when John was headed for the guillitone back in 98 or so.

This is all pretty dumb on the show's part, but in reality this show has not shown any real value (and by real we mean real dedication, outside of a month's storyline) to its veterans-- viewers or actors--- so this is probably not going to work for them either.

Ridge
Member Avatar

OneBadKitty
Oct 8 2007, 11:34 AM
Speaking of Bo and Hope, the show actually did find the one thing that could've destroyed their relationship and that was the death of Zach. Each blamed the other, the grief was overwhelming and we could've seen a marriage fall apart because of a tragedy and it would've been a great story.

But instead of running with that, they made it all about Chelsea.

Yeah!! Exactly, and funny as it is Bope were seperated for almost a year, despite the fanbases that many pity-- so no, the show didn't rush to fix this fanbase, they rushed to write a sloppy story that never found its true glory which would have been internal conflict between Bope; it was all about Chelsea (kinda like everything now is all about Sami), and even that sucked b/c one week Bo hated Chelsea and the other week he was being a loving father.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Ridge
Oct 8 2007, 08:49 PM
psychofan
Oct 5 2007, 03:57 PM
Y&RWorldTurner
Oct 5 2007, 03:33 PM
Do you guys remember last year when OLTL made it look like Todd was going to be killed off and had Trevor St. John do exit interviews in the soap magazines? For the execution event OLTL did get a ratings spike, but it was never able to hold on to that audience. I think Days might be trying for something similar.

But there was never a spoiler that specifically said that Todd wasn't revived. It said the execution went through, but most people still knew that he would live.

If Days kills John, as much as I would hate it, maybe it would be the last thing Sheffer ever did as head writer.

Yup, and TSJ did not do an exit interview he did interviews where he said Todd died. It was really a mumz... similar to Drake's interviews when John was headed for the guillitone back in 98 or so.

This is all pretty dumb on the show's part, but in reality this show has not shown any real value (and by real we mean real dedication, outside of a month's storyline) to its veterans-- viewers or actors--- so this is probably not going to work for them either.

Not only that they are falling into GH's pattern and making a death or supposed death about someone so insignificant to the storyline.

GH didn't use Tony Jones for so long and then during the stunt pulled him out to kill him off.

GH didn't use Alan that much but pulled him out for the February stunt.

Now for a year Days has barely used John at all and has made him so insignificant that his death is not that important either.

Soaps just keep repeating the same damn mistakes.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply