Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Strike Fears Rise As TV Writer Talks Lag; "the only outcome we see is a disaster"
Topic Started: Oct 7 2007, 01:03 AM (1,720 Views)
Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Strike Fears Rise As TV Writer Talks Lag
By Associated Press
Sat Oct 6, 5:44 PM

LOS ANGELES - Talks between Hollywood writers and studios abruptly broke off for the weekend, dimming hopes of averting a strike that could cripple the television industry.

The Writers Guild of America has been in talks since July with studios represented by the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers. Negotiations lasted only about an hour on Friday and were not scheduled to resume until Tuesday.

In statements Friday, each side accused the other of intransigence and expressed frustration at the sluggish pace of negotiations.

The writers' contract expires Oct. 31. Studios and TV networks have accelerated filming of shows and movies and begun stockpiling scripts in case of a strike. The last strike in 1988 lasted 22 weeks, and losses to the industry were put at $500 million.

The sticking points include a proposal to delay paying residuals on movies and TV shows until producers have recouped their costs, guild negotiators said.

The guild also is proposing doubling payments on profits made from DVD sales and providing union pay and benefits to writers working in reality television and on basic cable shows.

The two sides also remain far apart when it comes to setting pay for reality TV shows, and for work distributed online and to portable devices such as cell phones.

The studios say they need time to determine which models of digital distribution are likely to be profitable.

"We have had six across-the-table sessions and have been met with only silence and stonewalling," said J. Nicholas Counter III, president of the motion picture alliance.

"The WGA leadership is hidebound to strike. We are farther apart today than when we started, and the only outcome we see is a disaster," he said.

The writers decried the plan for residual payments.

"Our members will not stand for that," the guild said. "The entertainment industry is successful and growing like never before. Writers, whose creativity is at the heart of that success and growth, are committed to sharing in it."

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Does anyone remember how TV and soaps were affected in 1988?

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

This may sound horrible, but I'd like to see them strike.

All nine soaps with all new writers? How exciting!

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

^LOL! I so agree Rick! With all the crappy writing we've had to put up with on soaps these past few years, I think I've become immune to the possible destruction this writers strike could cause.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

I'm glad I haven't been stoned yet.

Hell, wouldn't it be a gas if the scabs actually bring the ratings up and the likes of Pissant and Sheffer are no longer needed after the strike :lol:

Actor87
Member Avatar
The Royal Dork

I could def. see that happening, Rick. Ratings would rise maybe because people would be curious how the writers' strike would effect the show overall.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Rick
Oct 7 2007, 01:06 AM

Really? All nine? Call me crazy, but just because you're a member of the union, does that mean you HAVE to strike? I'd imagine (and hope) some wouldn't. It's petty. And I can't ever imagine a world where JER striked and gave up his obvious passion for writing, even for a minute. I may be wrong, but I don't see him doing that.
Quote Post Goto Top

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

JERSoapsFan
Oct 7 2007, 01:22 AM
Rick
Oct 7 2007, 01:06 AM

Really? All nine? Call me crazy, but just because you're a member of the union, does that mean you HAVE to strike? I'd imagine (and hope) some wouldn't. It's petty. And I can't ever imagine a world where JER striked and gave up his obvious passion for writing, even for a minute. I may be wrong, but I don't see him doing that.

I believe you must strike if you're a member of the union. If you don't, you get a hefty fine.

Mason
Member Avatar

In the long run, though, this would actually be a really BAD thing for soaps though, because if writers got even heftier salaries than they already do, with their current budgets, soaps are screwed.

King
Member Avatar

I am totally with you, Rick!

Mason
Member Avatar

Be careful what you wish for...all I'm sayin'.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

(CNN) -- If the 11,000 writers influenced by the Writers Guild of America do go on strike, expect your favorite soap operas and late-night talkers to feel the effects first.

In the case of soaps, which provide 42.5 hours of original programming each week, there are only two weeks worth of episodes in the can, ready for airing in case of a strike.

"No matter what happens, you will see a huge impact on what's on network airwaves if there's a strike, They won't go blank, but it'll be something to see."

King
Member Avatar

Yikes! Sounds like major drama is ahead.

Deleted User
Deleted User

If there's a fine, why the hell join the union?!

This is AMERICA, home of the brave AND THE FREE!

This fucking SICKENS ME!!! What bastards! FORCE people to strike?!!!

HEY, WRITERS: FUCK ALL OF YOU!
Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

JSF, if you're a writer and want to get work (especially on TV), you pretty much HAVE to be in the union.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Hey the benefits the union gives you far outweigh the fine you might get for not striking. The Union provides all it's members with great services in times of legal trouble, benefits, job security, etc. They have their faults too, but the benefits far outweigh them.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Mason AKA Hogan
Oct 7 2007, 01:56 AM
JSF, if you're a writer and want to get work (especially on TV), you pretty much HAVE to be in the union.

Well, that's a crying shame. I mean, I'm okay with the joining part. But FINING someone for not striking?! That's taking away their freedom of choice! And that is FUCKING wrong. I'm PISSED now. This is going to bother me for the greater part of the night. To think, JER might feel forced to leave "Passions" just so he doesn't fall out of the union's good graces.

THAT is messed up.

They've forgotten that writing, if true, is organic, creative... an expression of oneself... and creativity should NEVER be restrained. It should NEVER be legislated. Especially by a union that (one would think), at its very nature, CELEBRATES the craft.

THis is all too oxymoronic. IT's ridiculous. It is EVIL.
Quote Post Goto Top

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

JERSoapsFan
Oct 7 2007, 03:13 AM
To think, JER might feel forced to leave "Passions" just so he doesn't fall out of the union's good graces.

THAT is messed up.

They've forgotten that writing, if true, is organic, creative... an expression of oneself... and creativity should NEVER be restrained. It should NEVER be legislated. Especially by a union that (one would think), at its very nature, CELEBRATES the craft.

THis is all too oxymoronic. IT's ridiculous. It is EVIL.

Maybe JER will secretly call the show's producers with stories and ideas ;) Since he works from home anyway.

One of the reasons WGA wants to strike is because the producers want their money first and then whenever they make a profit they want to pay the writers. IMO the writers need to suck it up and get their asses in gear and write good stories to garner higher ratings and make profit.

bellcurve
Unregistered

I don't see it affecting B&B and PASSIONS. Brad Bell is not only HW, but Executive Producer as well. There's no way he is going to let a HW scab disrupt the overall ebb and flow of B&B.

Reilly is also Consulting Producer of PASSIONS and Lisa Hesser(DeCalzone or whatever the hell her name is) is such a yes woman, she will force them to comply.

Everyone else appears to be fucked though.

Daytime totally can't survive a writer's strike. Back in '88, although a lot of effed up things happened(Jesse getting killed off on AMC), at least the shows were halfway decent. Watching AW reruns, you'd barely be able to tell the strike was happening, because the actors were REALLY good and the writing was great. We're in an era of soap opera right now where even the people in charge have no respect for the genre. I could totally see a Y&R situation where Gloria becomes possessed by the devil or something weird like that because the tone for soaps in this decade has been set by flash, trash, and more trash.

If the union is negotiating for more in royalties and more in pay, not only could that affect the already skimpy budget for soap productions, but if the deal for this also dates back decades, it will probably be even harder for SOAPnet to keep RYAN'S HOPE and forget about seeing any other cancelled daytime soap on the network.

Although I must admit...I'd love to be a scab.
Quote Post Goto Top

Jonatha

Rick
Oct 7 2007, 01:03 AM
Does anyone remember how TV and soaps were affected in 1988?

Rick, I don't remember if the year was 1988, but I do remember one time during a writer's strike NBC showed old episodes of The Doctors, Another World, and Days of Our Lives during the soaps time lot. It was so long ago, this could have been in the 70's but it was very enjoyable.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply