Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Strike Fears Rise As TV Writer Talks Lag; "the only outcome we see is a disaster"
Topic Started: Oct 7 2007, 01:03 AM (1,633 Views)
GatsbyGirl
Member Avatar

Sephora
Oct 8 2007, 10:52 AM
I know some fan fic writers that could do a damn site better job of writing Days than Hogan does.

Damn right, Seph.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DramaKing
Member Avatar

Rick
Oct 7 2007, 01:06 AM
This may sound horrible, but I'd like to see them strike.

All nine soaps with all new writers? How exciting!

i couldnt agree more. all nine soaps, if not suck, are just okay. Ive said for years Daytime needs new blood to take over.

King
Member Avatar

Some breaking news:

With a November WGA strike becoming a more distinct possibility, studios have started putting the hiring squeeze on scribes.

"We're not financing their strike" is the new mantra for studio and network execs as writers are told that their services won't be needed until the WGA works out a deal.

The get-tough stance -- designed to demonstrate the consequences of a strike to the 12,000 Writers Guild of America members -- has emerged as the gloomy town deepens its belief that a strike will take place soon after the Oct. 31 contract expiration.

Tuesday's talks yielded no progress as negotiators for the WGA and the Alliance of Motion Picture & Television Producers met at AMPTP headquarters in Encino. Following the seventh face-to-face session since July -- as part of what's become an increasingly hostile PR campaign -- AMPTP prexy Nick Counter ridiculed the guild's proposal to boost DVD residuals.

"Today the WGA presented an untenable proposal to double the homevideo residual using specious numbers, a revisionist view of the bargaining history and a complete disregard for the costs and deficits that producers must bear," Counter said. "When challenged on the questionable figures, WGA West executive director David Young said he would get back to us to break down how they arrived at these conclusions."

The sides recessed in the late afternoon and were skedded to resume this afternoon. WGA negotiating committee chief John Bowman responded to Counter by saying, "Under the current DVD formula, a writer receives 4¢ for every $15 DVD sold. Our reasonable proposal is to increase our share to 8¢ per DVD. This is far less than the cost of the box the DVD comes in."

The WGA's long contended that the current homevid formula is unfair, since costs of manufacturing and distribution have dropped since the current deal was first hammered out in 1985. But companies have insisted they can't change the formula, asserting DVD revenues are crucial to recouping their losses on feature production.

Agents, execs and producers have started bracing for a strike amid harsh rhetoric, unproductive negotiations and the WGA's recent move seeking strike authorization from members.

"The WGA's done a great job of convincing the town that they're going on strike," one tenpercenter noted. "My instinct is that both sides are now in their foxholes."

Several other factors may be pushing studios away from making any deals with writers, such as the recent decline in box office plus the increased production activity to stockpile projects.

"We're at a time of year where the studios have often spent all or a big portion of their development money," one prominent producer noted. "There are already far more films in the pipeline than normal."

In recent days, writers have been notified by studios that verbal commitments for portions of the scripting process have been preemptively canceled.

For example, the time needed for a script polish -- usually a four-week process -- now falls within the period in which a strike could take place. So at least one studio has been telling writers that it's no longer under a legal obligation to pay for the polish.

"The sense I get is that the very immediate writing work is still getting done, but anything longer-term is on hold," another agent said.

Scribes and agents say that execs at Warner Bros., Universal, Fox, Paramount and DreamWorks have all indicated that they're not interested in making any deals with screenwriters until the WGA reaches some kind of agreement.

Sephora
Unregistered

My question would be, if they strike and hire scabs, would the actors cross the picket lines? I saw a lot of people that in the beginning wouldn't cross the lines when the California grocery clerks went on strike in 2003 (something that in the long run didn't work out too well for them). Originally I, as an individual with a father who was in a union didn't even cross but the minute the workers got nasty and violent, it was "the hell with you" and I started crossing.

But will the actors cross if the strike really happens? I know police and Disneyland security cannot strike and are compelled in their contracts to cross picket lines, but can they have that addendum in a soap actors contract? Do they generally?
Quote Post Goto Top

GatsbyGirl
Member Avatar

^ Good question.

Mason

Oh, this is not looking good...:unsure:

jcar03
Member Avatar

JackPeyton
Oct 9 2007, 05:25 AM
Rick
Oct 7 2007, 01:06 AM
This may sound horrible, but I'd like to see them strike.

All nine soaps with all new writers? How exciting!

i couldnt agree more. all nine soaps, if not suck, are just okay. Ive said for years Daytime needs new blood to take over.

Um, you do realize that NO WRITER is allowed to write for any show even if they aren't currently employed. That means someone WITH NO EXPERIENCE will be writing and you think the person writing it now is bad just wait if this happens. It won't be pretty.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I disagree because I'm pretty sure it means just union members. Which means any of our talented DR writers that, while not a WGA member, are still VERY talented and can drive story, could get a job. And do well.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

That being said, I don't get the big deal about crossing a picket line. The actors aren't on strike. The idiot writers are screwing it up for all of us! Is there some superstition I don't know about? Because if I were an actor, I wouldn't think TWICE about crossing that line.
Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

It is only members of the union that have to strike. Any writer who is not a member of the union can write for the shows. That may even be a romance novelist who is most likely not a member of the WGA. So it doesn't mean that the scab writers will not be writers. They will most likely be - just out of work inexperienced writers.

JSF, the not crossing picket lines is something that goes back to the early days of unions. It was a sign of respect that when workers were on strike you didn't cross their picket line as a means of support for what they were fighting for. Members of other unions especially would be sympathetic. I have never heard of an actor not crossing the picket line, but I am sure there are some who possibly won't.

There was an episode of The Nanny where some people were picketing outside Maxwell's theater and Fran refused to cross the picket line which made Maxwell mad at her. Fran's family just never believed in crossing a picket line, and there are many out there that won't.

Deleted User
Deleted User

^ Oh, and here I thought this was AMERICA, home of the FREE and the brave! That's SICK! What about personal autonomy? Civil rights?!

UNIONS SUCK!!!
Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

What are u talking about? If you will look I said it was a matter of respect and support. One union does not make anyone else not cross a picket line - it is something the person chooses to do on their own. They are not made to do it.

bellcurve
Unregistered

"We won't finance their strike."

Rut-ro. Get ready for more DANCING WITH THE STARS, POWER OF 10 and DEAL OR NO DEAL. This is gonna blow.
Quote Post Goto Top

daysfan
Member Avatar

I am not sure if this has been posted here yet, if it has please forgive me but I don't think it has, because this appears to have not been brought up yet, but this quote from the NY Times just troubles me.

Courtesy Faulkner at SON:

Quote:

Daytime shows would suffer next. Soap operas like “The Young and the Restless,” viewed by some six million people a day, typically have a monthlong backlog of episodes. Because of their serial nature, soap operas do not perform well in repeats. Networks say they would try to maintain ratings during the day in the event of a strike by substituting more news and sports programming. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/20/arts/tel...ion/20cons.html

ljacks13
Member Avatar

Hollywood union authorized to strike

Sat Oct 20, 12:43 AM ET

Members of Hollywood's film and television writers union have overwhelmingly voted to authorize a strike anytime after their contract expires at the end of the month.

More than 5,000 members of the Writers Guild of America cast ballots, with 90 percent voting in favor of authorizing the strike, the union said Friday evening. Members voted Thursday.

"Writers do not want to strike, but they are resolute and prepared to take strong, united action to defend our interests," guild President Patric Verrone said in a news release. "What we must have is a contract that gives us the ability to keep up with the financial success of this ever-expanding global industry."

Since July, the guild has been in talks with film studios and production companies represented by the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers. Both sides acknowledge they have not made progress.

Nick Counter, the alliance's president, said he was not surprised by the vote.

"Our focus is on negotiating a reasonable agreement with the WGA," he said in a news release.

A key issue dividing producers and writers, as well as actors, whose contract expires next June, is compensation for DVD sales and productions that get distributed on the Internet or in other new media formats.

The writers' current three-year contract expires Oct. 31, and their vote gives the union's leaders authorization to call a strike anytime after that day.

Studios and TV networks have accelerated filming of shows and movies and begun stockpiling scripts in case of a strike.

The last strike in 1988 lasted 22 weeks. Losses to the industry were put at $500 million.

jcar03
Member Avatar

JERSoapsFan
Oct 20 2007, 01:57 AM
I disagree because I'm pretty sure it means just union members. Which means any of our talented DR writers that, while not a WGA member, are still VERY talented and can drive story, could get a job. And do well.

Yeah, but I'm not positive but I don't think studio's hire outside of someone who is WGA. Just like an actor needs to obtain a SAG card or AFTRA (right initials) to really be taken seriously and get in the door for auditions and what not.

Wouldn't it be interesting if they did somehow use Fan Fiction writers. I have read some of them here and they are very good.

I'm not going to get into the whole why Unions are good because you aren't going to get it at all and I don't feel like beating a dead horse tonight.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply