Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
GH Rumor: Drake to GH?
Topic Started: Oct 7 2007, 11:54 PM (1,597 Views)
PRGirl

http://soapzone.com/newsroom.php/gh/news--------------Gossip for the week of 08-Oct-2007
by Carol Banks Weber

Drake Hogestyn (John Black, DOOL) as GH’s recast of Dr. Jeff Webber? With all due respect but… God help us all if this is true.

What gives here? Head writer Bob Guza Jr. and actress Genie Francis (ex-Laura) have both said, at separate times, that they’re really getting sick and tired of the same question about when Luke’s other-half will next return to the show. They’ve also both indicated a willingness to work out some deal where it can happen. So why isn’t it happening? In the latest SOD, Guza said he loves Francis, GH is open to her return, and then he brings up her “wanting to stay up in Maine to raise her kids,” promising that all of this sweet-talk isn’t “interview-speak.” But then, Francis has made it clear in past interviews that she is willing to go back to GH, with family considerations (maybe she can do short-term story arcs) in place.

Okay, so I’m about a week or so behind (as usual), but Carolyn Hinsey of SOD’s “It’s Only My Opinion” really upset quite a number of female fans with her defense of another soap columnist, TV Guide’s controversial Michael Logan. Worst of all in these fans’ eyes, Hinsey contended in her October 9th column that, in her opinion: “My pal… Michael… and I do not believe that women can physically ‘rape’ men any more than people can come back from the dead or get a new head…. [T]here is a certain physical … thing … that has to happen to men so that they can have sex, which I just don’t see happening when a Rocky and Bullwinkle-style villain climbs on your lap with an Uzi after you’ve been beaten to a pulp.” My advice to Hinsey, if she even bothers to read this (and she doesn’t, I’m not famous enough) is to STFU about male rape already, it’s a losing argument. I know, I’ve been there (you’d be surprised). Besides, her definition is starting to look like she doesn’t understand what rape is and what rape isn’t; it has nothing to do with “a certain physical … thing …” (just say erection!).

Anthony Zacchara may just be kin to a major, established GH character. Wait, does that mean Lulu and Johnny are siblings?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

I seriously doubt this is true, since GH doesn't hire actors to portray characters who aren't mob related anymore. <_<

Also, he doesn't seem like a casting choice Mark Tescher would make. Also, GH has become mainly youth oriented as well.

Mason
Member Avatar

I doubt it's true, but it wouldn't shock me, either. If Drake gets hired by another soap, you KNOW it's gonna be either GH or B&B. Those two shows have histories of snapping up DAYS fan faves (and vice versa, I suppose).

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I would so love it. So love it.

I wouldn't even mind if they cast him as someone else so that he and Genie if she ever came back could be a possible item. I loved Drake and Genie as a couple on Days.

I hope Drake does get picked up. He is not the greatest actor but that hasn't stopped many others from getting hired on the soaps these days.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

^Really? I thought Genie's stint on Days was a total bust in the 80's. I know she doesn't look back on it too fondly. I remember watching her Intimate Portrait on Lifetime a few years back, she said the writers had no idea what to do with Diana and she had no idea how to approach the role. She said she should've never jumped back into a daytime role in the 80's, mainly because she was always going to be Laura to everyone.

King
Member Avatar

I just read Genie has supposedly sworn off talking to all soap-related media so she can focus on primetime so I don't think she'll be back soon, but who knows.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Y&RWorldTurner
Oct 8 2007, 12:07 AM
^Really? I thought Genie's stint on Days was a total bust in the 80's. I know she doesn't look back on it too fondly. I remember watching her Intimate Portrait on Lifetime a few years back, she said the writers had no idea what to do with Diana and she had no idea how to approach the role. She said she should've never jumped back into a daytime role in the 80's, mainly because she was always going to be Laura to everyone.

Oh I think it was a failure as far as overall stint went - just the same as her time on AMC was a failure.

But I did enjoy John & Diana as a couple and felt the chemistry between Drake & Genie.

I also enjoyed Michael E. Knight & Genie together on AMC - much more than her and Jean LeClerc - but most people didn't like her with Michael.

The overall writing for both characters was a flop. Just like Days didn't know what to do with Lynn Herring when they brought her on. It was a case of where they hired Genie and Lynn before they fully developed their characters.

titan1978
Member Avatar

I liked Genie on DAYS too, but it had to be hard for the fans not to want her to be Laura, and to have Roman (john) with someone other than Marlena.

Her role on AMC was better than Diana, and she did great work there as Ceara. She was being noticed by critics as a good actor, instead of good at playing Laura.

Red Mist
Member Avatar

It would be nice if someone gave him a job...I am sure it is quite scary to work somewhere for 20 somes years then wake up one day out of a job. I wish him the best.

PRGirl

SteveFrame
Oct 8 2007, 12:04 AM
I would so love it. So love it.

I wouldn't even mind if they cast him as someone else so that he and Genie if she ever came back could be a possible item. I loved Drake and Genie as a couple on Days.

I hope Drake does get picked up. He is not the greatest actor but that hasn't stopped many others from getting hired on the soaps these days.

ITA w/you on his not being that great of an actor, imo he is horrible. But I dont think hooking him up with genie is a good thing, one fans of gh want luke and laura and when she returns that's their meal ticket so drake forsure would not be linked to her and I recall him saying in public at the time he worked with genie on days that she was not to bright, well it was more than that but I will leave it at that. I thought then as I do now? hummmm ok your the one who cant act and your slamming one of daytimes most powerful characters of all time. :shrug: sorry but john is so :puke: worthy. I am happy to see him go. GH can have him, and from the sound of the tone of the person who wrote that article she is not seeing him fit in over there either.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Whatever.

As to him not being a good actor, who knows what Drake could do with better direction. Days has had such bad direction for so long. Look at the wonders that better direction has done for Dattilo. And many other actors in the history of daytime.

And as to that Drake is not the first actor in the history of television to be popular and continue to find work who couldn't act.

I personally would find it so funny if GH did get him and their ratings rose as the fans moved to follow him. As I believe that many of his fans would. Not all but many.

Boy would Days regret the decision.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

SteveFrame
Oct 8 2007, 05:54 PM
As to him not being a good actor, who knows what Drake could do with better direction. Days has had such bad direction for so long. Look at the wonders that better direction has done for Dattilo. And many other actors in the history of daytime.

Austin Peck and Kyle Lowder are all proof of that.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Rick
Oct 8 2007, 06:14 PM
SteveFrame

Yep, so is Kristen Storms, amazingly. She shines as trampy Maxie Jones on GH, definitely far better than her time on Days.

peaches179

Rick
Oct 8 2007, 06:14 PM
SteveFrame

LMAO!

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

^ Seriously I wasn't trying to be funny lol

I think Kyle Lowder is going great on B&B and Peck is a completly actor on AYWY

Mason
Member Avatar

Peck's certainly better on ATWT than he was on DAYS, but that's not saying too much, all things considered, LoL.

King
Member Avatar

I always thought Peck rocked.

Well, not ALWAYS. But in his second run on DAYS, I thought he had improved greatly from his first. I'm not surprised at all he's doing so well on ATWT.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Well I hope it's not true because of my selfish fears that it will hurt DOOL ratings even more than the initial act of killing John off as John Black fans follow him to GH.

But it would confirm my previous suspicions about them perhaps trying to tank Drake's career by giving him no story whatsoever before they decided to cut him loose to minimize the impact of another soap snapping him up.

And yes, Kirsten Storms, Austin Peck and Kyle Lowder are all examples of DOOL actors who went on to become so much more on other soaps.

~bl~
Member Avatar

I didn't see Luke/Laura, as the ended too early in the 80s for me to have watched and remember it but I was old enough to see Genie on Days playing against Drake. My first memories of Genie were on Murder She Wrote as Jessica's niece.

The original story with her back history with Mike was great as was the "Out of Africa" stuff in Greece. Once Diana and Roman as we thought of him back then, came back from Greece in late 1987, things slowed down for the pair. Then she became a thief to get back her money and it made little sense. The last stuff I remember from that period was Roman having weird memories that went nowhere (wonder if that was due to writer's strike issues) and Cal...Diana's husband coming back.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Rick
Oct 8 2007, 06:35 PM
^ Seriously I wasn't trying to be funny lol

I think Kyle Lowder is going great on B&B and Peck is a completly actor on AYWY

You are right. Lowder and Peck hold their own with the best of them now. Lowder goes toe to toe with Eileen Davidson all the time and never looks like a weaker actor. Even with Susan Flannery he has held his own. He is doing a very good job there.

And Austin Peck esp. can now hold his own with the likes of Maura West.

And as to Kirsten. I was scared when GH hired her, but now she is not only one of my faves on there but also one of the better actresses. She shines as Maxie many times.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply