Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Lee Patterson has died
Topic Started: Oct 11 2007, 02:31 PM (814 Views)
Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Jonny just sent this to me. It is from the latest SOW. I can't believe this has gone unreported for so long. It is weird.

I absolutely loved Lee Patterson. I have wondered why he didn't get picked up after Texas. He was so good.

Here's the story. Thanks Jonny for typing this.

ABC Vet Mourns Beloved Co-Star

Lee Patterson, who played Joe Riley on OLTL during the 1970s with a return in 1988, died Feburary 14, 2007. He was 77 and lived in Lago Vista Texas.

"My fan club president sent me and e-mail saying that someone had seen in on Wikipedia," sighs Erika Slezak, whose character, Viki, was with Joe for most of Patterson's tenure. "I would just like to say that Lee was one of the most generous, warmest, sweetest, funniest gentleman I've ever met in my life," Slezak smiles. "It was a pleasure to know him, and a pleasure to work with him. He was so funny. He said things that we still quote here - terrible things about other people! -- but never mind, we still quote them."

Slezak credits Patterson with showing her the ropes when she came to Llanview. "He taught me so much about television. He was a wonderful guy. We stayed very good friends. The last time I saw him was about five years ago, out in Montauk NY, we had a delightful evening."

In addition to OLTL, the Canadian born Patterson played David Thorne on 'Surf Side Six' in the early 1960s and guested on countless television series, including 'Hunter,' 'Bonanza,' 'Perry Mason,' and 'The A Team.' After the deboniar Joe Riley, he was cast as Dr. Kevin Cook on Another World and it's spin-off Texas. His last acting appearance was in the independent film 'Healer' in 1994.

He is survived by his brother, John Jack Patterson.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

sungrey

Doggone it. One of the greats died. It's understandable Erika would be devastated too. RIP, Lee.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I always liked Lee Patterson and was sad and mad that ONE LIFE killed Joe Riley off for Viki to start dating Clint Buchanan. I always prefered Joe to Clint. So sad, he will be missed. Such a shame this wasn't reported until 8 months later. RIP Mr. Patterson.
Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

He was originally killed off for Vicki to date Bo. I was alarmed to find that out a few years ago. Erika said that Robert S. Woods was originally intended as a love interest for her but Jackie Courtney ended up getting him and she got Clint.

Gregorzick

Count me as another viewer who always preferred Joe over Clint. The late 1960s and early 1970s was a great time for a new breed of leading men in daytime and Mr. Patterson ranks amongst the best of them. Rest In Peace, Lee, you will sorely missed because the fans will never see an actor of your ilk ever again.

Jonatha

From this week's TV Guide:

TRIBUTE:

"The soap world has just learned that Lee Patterson, who played hard-living, hard drinking newsman Joe Riley on One Life to Live, died back in February at age 77. Patterson appeared on the show from the 60's to the 80's, sparking fantastically with Erika Slezak and creating so much fan fuss that he "died" twice as Joe, then returned as Joe's twin, Tom. A loner in real life, Patterson was a sweet, tough, quietly confident rogue on screen - the kind of leading man they don't make much anymore."

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply